IT.COM

news The Domain Industry Is About To Change BIGTIME!!!

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
The net could see its biggest transformation in decades if plans to open up the address system are passed.

The net's regulators will vote on Thursday to decide if the strict rules on so-called top level domain names, such as .com or .uk, can be relaxed.

If approved, it could allow companies to turn their brands into domain names while individuals could also carve out their own corner of the net.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7468855.stm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can someone explain how !

Most of the companies still don't realise the value of owning names, that relate to their business.

If approved, it could allow companies to turn their brands into domain names while individuals could also carve out their own corner of the net.

•••
It looks to me, this will only strengthen .com as the most desired extension (As namepros member '4ltrorg' has said to near identical reference, "Making .com larger than life")

Last edited:
•••
raredn.com said:
It looks to me, this will only strenghten .com as the most desired extension

It already is the preferred extension.

•••
Charley said:
It already is the preferred extension.
Yes I know, that is why I said 'strengthen'

What I meant is these new domain names will make .com stronger than it already is. As quality .com will be the most unobtainable in comparison to other newer extensions

•••
The move could also see the launch of .xxx, after years of wrangling.

This is interesting. Will there be a revival after the rejection ?

•••
•••
•••
Pointless, coke will not give up coke.com, and register coca.cola .com which seems more of a novelty thing.. ICANN looks be shoring up new ways to generate revenue... all those useless names that drop daily that go unreg must really be hurting their bottom line..... this will just confuse consumers, and could lead to more online identity scams.

•••
Generally speaking, the introductions of any new TLD's will boost the credibility and values of the mighty .COM's (and .ORG's and .NET's, in that order) ... and further dilute and minimize the significance of any other new and newer extensions (for instance, .INFO, .BIZ, .EU, .ASIA, and especially the awkward "dot Mobey", etc.)! :guilty: :imho:
The two exceptions to this general rule / observation may be the short, one syllable, and very highly brandable .TEL and .WEB, IMHO. :gl:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Pointless, coke will not give up coke.com, and register coca.cola .com

there is no .com in my example!

•••
onlinedomains00 said:
Pointless, coke will not give up coke.com, and register coca.cola .com which seems more of a novelty thing.. ICANN looks be shoring up new ways to generate revenue... all those useless names that drop daily that go unreg must really be hurting their bottom line..... this will just confuse consumers, and could lead to more online identity scams.
That's a great argument against this idea, considering there's this huge fear of phishing and identity scams (think of the Snowe bill).

•••
Does it not seem confusing, these types of names? It seems like they would be hard to remember, for instance snapontools, you would be unsure of exactly where the dot should go.

I agree I think it will only make our popular extensions look better.

•••
hm, anyone seen any more info:

"Apart from the .com, .net or .org, the 1.3 billion web users will be able from early 2009 to acquire generic addresses by lodging common words such as .love, .hate or .city or proper names," ICANN president Paul Twomey told French newspaper Les Echos."

all 1.3 billion of us can float our own TLDs?

:tu: i mean :td: i mean :o

•••
soggyindo said:
:tu: i mean :td: i mean :o

End of domaining... or born of new domaining type... tld squatting...

•••
Please. It will never happen like they think. How about this little nugget? Icann says any string of letters can be registered as a domain, but there will be an independent arbitration process for people with grounds for objection. Good luck working out the detais of that. :)

•••
Well is it true the only reason anyone registers anything other than a generic .info is because in most part it costs them 99 cents per year... how will these be priced? Also cost to setup your own tld, will big business see the need to do this, when their own .com TM name sites already can do everything that same name.name site could do... This makes no sense to me the advantage of doing this, like if someone really wants a domain name in todays market, they can most likely 90% of the time buy it from the owner for a price, or find an alternative domain to register... if this is about finding quality domains to register... I don't understand why ICANN is doing this, makes no sense to me?

•••
I think this is great. Its like iPv6 v/s iPv4, preparing for the future.

This is not a bad thing for existing TLDs, but a great thing for the future of the internet.

Now you can have a trillion trillion trillion web addresses, just like iPs :)

•••
onlinedomains00 said:
Pointless, coke will not give up coke.com, and register coca.cola .com which seems more of a novelty thing.

What makes you think they would give up coke.com? They could use multiply domains pointing to one site, or have many different sites depending on the domain.

•••
Coke will not give up coke.com

On the contrary they'd want .coke - so that they can run their franchises on saturn if they want to.

This is way futuristic guys...

•••
This is definitely not good for many domainers...

•••
It is really interesting. .com domain prices might get affected due to this.

•••
•••
I think there will be lots of two word domains registered.

e.g

Whatever.business
Whatever.company etc....

•••
Who said there would be a dot ?

It could be just Coke as the domain.

They say in the article hundreds of new domain names could be invented but they never explicitly say extensions. Maybe just bad writing.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back