Dynadot

news The Domain Industry Is About To Change BIGTIME!!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The net could see its biggest transformation in decades if plans to open up the address system are passed.

The net's regulators will vote on Thursday to decide if the strict rules on so-called top level domain names, such as .com or .uk, can be relaxed.

If approved, it could allow companies to turn their brands into domain names while individuals could also carve out their own corner of the net.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7468855.stm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
jacal1 said:
When is the last time any new ext. has hurt .com?

While this may kill niche exts like .mobi and .biz (or are they rip already) which are still searching for their place, and maybe even hurt .net, it can only serve to strengthen .com as consumer get frustrated and confused and turn to the old standard.

If I want a hotel, am I going to hotels.com, or am I going to go to fool around and try marriott.hotels. What if I don't know what hotel I want? Or how many times am I going to come up empty trying that?
Well the way I think now is I only want .com, If I had interest in other extensions I don't now, I only want .com, as it will be the most desired, everything else will be a blur IMO, people always want the best, it is a pride thing, so its .com or .com all other choices will all be pretty much on the same level IMO, now double thinking some money I put into ordering .me, I was probably way better of getting even more .com

•••
So let's say amazon gets their own extension, .amazon.

Would domains of the extension be available on godaddy? If Amazon forks out the money for the extension, can I go to godaddy and register poopinthewater.amazon?

•••
raredn.com said:
Well the way I think now is I only want .com, If I had interest in other extensions I don't now, I only want .com, as it will be the most desired, everything else will be a blur IMO, people always want the best, it is a pride thing, so its .com or .com all other choices will all be pretty much on the same level IMO, now double thinking some money I put into ordering .me, I was probably way better of getting even more .com
Agreeed. I guess the one concern I have as an 80% .com owner is that if major players get caught up in bidding for these new tlds we may see a decrease in high-end generic .com sales. It's not that the names won't be worth it (and maybe worth more after the dust settles), but the buyers may get distracted.

•••
.com is like a classic car it'll always be something unique that everyone wants
can you imagine domains like amazon.amazon or ebay.ebay
my guess is after 5 years from now we will drop all the extension and endup with just words.

•••
This is going to be a mess!

•••
Total insane chaos.
I would have like to have seen an actual active accountable governing body supervising the domain world first.
ICANN is a joke. There is no accountability or monitoring of registrars, its the wild west.

•••
I personally think this is great! It's opening the doors to a lot of great ideas in regards to team work. $100,000 isn't a lot of money if your on a team of 50-200 people who all have a share of an extension!

I see a lot of people in the domain industry creating their own teams to buy and own an extension! Imagine the possibilities with this. Owning your own extension with others, your team being the only people who own it! I see a lot of people making money with this!

Why is everyone in fear mode? This is going to be great!

then again...I'm not thinking about bidding wars and how some extensions will go for millions... argh!

Last edited:
•••
zenlogo said:
Total insane chaos.
I would have like to have seen an actual active accountable governing body supervising the domain world first.
ICANN is a joke. There is no accountability or monitoring of registrars, its the wild west.

Thanks God the DOC supervises ICANN, maybe repeal via the argument that .xxx is coming back? :D

•••
The 'create your own tld'

I know there are many threads, just giving my 2 cents.

At first, I thought it was a dumb idea, however after being sarcastic on another thread and made a comment, I think this could be a good idea.

Take for example the many possibilities of .CITY's...like:

.boston

Now this could be very good because there can be:

vist.boston
food.boston
drinks.boston
airport.boston
clubs.boston

ETC, this could really help narrow and make searches easier....this could make the 100k(That is what the rumored price is, not millions, not 10k!) price for your own tld a reasonable one.

HOWEVER, I only see potential in .CITY's ... not some other ones that could come of this. IMO .citys and a few others will only be decently popular.

•••
Hurley4540 said:

HOWEVER, I only see potential in .CITY's ... not some other ones that could come of this. IMO .citys and a few others will only be decently popular.

Limitless actuallty....... .cameras .insurance. hotels .flights .cars .whatever

•••
but...some of those domains don't make much sense....
food.boston or boston.food
drinks.boston or boston.drinks
airport.boston or boston.airport
clubs.boston or boston.clubs

the latter sound a lot better..and get more searches..

•••
I feel you are going to need a hell of a lot more than the proposed $100,000 to have any chance of the "Novelty Tld" surviving.

Firstly are they going to have to have enough appeal that people are going to buy the domains? For instance, with a pricepoint of $10 per reg you would have to attract 10,000 buyers just to break even!

Second, you would need a massive advertising campain to encourage users and buyers alike...This is not going to be cheap and there will be many flops if the general public reject these exotic reg's as some rich individuals/companies giant ego trip!

Thirdly, who is going to sell them? Sell them through established registrar's where they take their own cut from the sale? Or would you set up your own ICANN accredited registrar? Either way, more $$$$$'s, more potential losses!!

Finally, I think there would be a lot of TM issues with many of the potential ext's, which could result in it being lost to some giant comglomerate along with all the invested $"s.
JMO :blink:

•••
sportomoney said:
but...some of those domains don't make much sense....
food.boston or boston.food
drinks.boston or boston.drinks
airport.boston or boston.airport
clubs.boston or boston.clubs

the latter sound a lot better..and get more searches..

Either way, it will help people out by finding them easier.

•••
Another question maybe this :

What is better ?
- Take a short domain and sell subdomains (like centralnic does)
- Take a new extension ?

Do you think this will make people more open to services like this ?

•••
Yes this would be perfect for boston.com owner
Do you think that people will stop at .boston (for example) and not type .com ?

•••
I think the last thing this industry needs is more pointless extensions.

•••
dotnom said:
Yes this would be perfect for boston.com owner
Do you think that people will stop at .boston (for example) and not type .com ?

yes ... some day they stop :)
i don't type google, yahoo even namepros with header or closing ...
FF3 do the job ....

•••
dotnom said:
Another question maybe this :

What is better ?
- Take a short domain and sell subdomains (like centralnic does)
- Take a new extension ?

Do you think this will make people more open to services like this ?
Not imo. Would you rather type in .co.uk or .uk? Obviously the last... I hope. :D

•••
•••
if ICANN allows any tld...why not they allow non tld domain...
for example: user needs to type namepros instead of namepros.com

I think they want to make big money from having many tld(s).

•••
That would....not just work.

•••
bfluid said:
Not imo. Would you rather type in .co.uk or .uk? Obviously the last... I hope. :D

Well i see what you say but i don't know if the examples are right

So would you prefer :

1. domain.lasvegas
2. domain.us.com

The 1st case made a deal with ICANN. May it's insured too
The 2nd case is backuped up from Verisign and he may be insured as well

•••
•••
IMHO this new extensions idea make some sense ....but only in case, where registration price is high enough, to limit interest to serious companies and application process is screened. It could help big corporations, if they really, really want their separate domain and/or run multilevel sites (.ebay, .apple, .microsoft, .bmw, .audi)
It will be more like .travel / .pro / ,museum (by the way... personally I never use those extensions)

For the regular players, it will mean nothing. People will always type .com up to the point where actual PR and quality of SEO will be more important than domain itself.

I don't see situation where chicago.com will be replaced with for example: start.chicago or home.chicago D-:

How about longer words like classifieds or realestate ? add prefix to that and you have a lot of typing :D

Personally I would be scared more about growing role of search engines than those exotic ideas made by ICANN. You could have PIZZA.com with PR1 and still loose in search engine with better developed NyPIZZA.net with PR7.
The time is coming where actual content will determine the value of the domain, not a name or extension.

•••
PROXUS said:
For the regular players, it will mean nothing. People will always type .com up to the point where actual PR and quality of SEO will be more important than domain itself.

I don't see situation where chicago.com will be replaced with for example: start.chicago or home.chicago D-:

How about longer words like classifieds or realestate ? add prefix to that and you have a lot of typing :D

The time is coming where actual content will determine the value of the domain, not a name or extension.

:bingo: Good point, Its like Pizza itself Vs Anything.pizza

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back