IT.COM

discuss Other extensions compared to .COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
When it comes to domaining, we all know that, undoubtedly, .COM is the king!

That is one of the safest investments to make and liquidate, whether you are an inbound domain name investor or an outbound domain name investor. It works for all of us, if we do it right. A .COM extension is:

• Easy to buy
  • Universally acknowledged (Australia and UK I believe, are bit of an exception)
  • Not very costly

and hence, they are the best to invest.

But given that .COM may not be available, given the demand, a lot of investors turn to the next best prospect - .NET (wait, or is it .ORG?). And many of the others carve out their happy place in .CO. Some others in .IO and some more in new gTLDs (success rate is much low, renewals are usually a bomb).

I just mean to put extensions as a percentage of the value when it comes to .COM and we can use that as a benchmark (along with other factors) to put a value to our domain name.

Here is how you can contribute:

Consider .COM to be of 100% value. If you were to put a value on a .NET, .ORG, .IO, .CO, .CO.UK, .UK, .CA, new gTLD or any other for that matter, just put the extension, a percentage value and you can site examples of a particular sale between .COM and that extension for any keyword. If you do not have an example, giving a reason for your valuation should be good too!

For example, .NET is 10% of the value of .COM from my personal sale experience. If I see a .COM for $5,000, adding .NET of the same extension and clubbing it could deliver $5,500 or so in the sale. Or the buyer can later pay $500 for the .NET counterpart.

... and so on.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for your thread.

I think your question is only fit to considering the percentage of .com and .co.
the rests are more likely depend on keywords and reasons.
To me rationally it doesn't matter .com or .co because it is about profiting and liquidating as an investor.

So I would say I will choose 100% to .com if it's available.
For .net .org or Ngtlds I put 70% value to keywords + 30% to extensions(meaning).

I would choose any other Ngtlds for very short or dictionary words because least people can afford LLL.com or Dictionary.com. besides .com, .net .org .ngtlds their value is 90% depends on buyer's favor and wealthiness.

For example 2 weeks ago I sold gro.xyz for $1000 but I don't know why, I believe the reason is simple because the buyer can't afford gro.com(or don't want to pay that much).

Opps...I just told a secret, that's why I started to collect some pronounceable LLL.Ngtld.

Last edited:
•••
When it comes to domaining, we all know that, undoubtedly, .COM is the king!

That is one of the safest investments to make and liquidate, whether you are an inbound domain name investor or an outbound domain name investor. It works for all of us, if we do it right. A .COM extension is:

• Easy to buy
  • Universally acknowledged (Australia and UK I believe, are bit of an exception)
  • Not very costly

and hence, they are the best to invest.

But given that .COM may not be available, given the demand, a lot of investors turn to the next best prospect - .NET (wait, or is it .ORG?). And many of the others carve out their happy place in .CO. Some others in .IO and some more in new gTLDs (success rate is much low, renewals are usually a bomb).

I just mean to put extensions as a percentage of the value when it comes to .COM and we can use that as a benchmark (along with other factors) to put a value to our domain name.

Here is how you can contribute:

Consider .COM to be of 100% value. If you were to put a value on a .NET, .ORG, .IO, .CO, .CO.UK, .UK, .CA, new gTLD or any other for that matter, just put the extension, a percentage value and you can site examples of a particular sale between .COM and that extension for any keyword. If you do not have an example, giving a reason for your valuation should be good too!

For example, .NET is 10% of the value of .COM from my personal sale experience. If I see a .COM for $5,000, adding .NET of the same extension and clubbing it could deliver $5,500 or so in the sale. Or the buyer can later pay $500 for the .NET counterpart.

... and so on.

It doesn't work like that (as a percentage). Doing price that way would be a mistake, UNLESS you sell pairs.

.net is a wildcard, and so is .org when sold independently.

You can sell the domain either for $199 or sometimes more expensive that the .com (happened to me and it wasn't really specific to the tld).

At 10% you're selling .nets at market price, if so then $150 or less is the usual range. But there are people here selling them for thousands, and the .com isn't in the tens of thousands.

Edit: I don't sell .co domains but been watching them closely, they tend to sell anyway from market price to half the .com value or even higher. With a top value clustering in the 1.5 - 2k range in many cases for valuable names.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for your thread.

I think your question is only fit to considering the percentage of .com and .co.
the rests are more likely depend on keywords and reasons.
To me rationally it doesn't matter .com or .co because it is about profiting and liquidating as an investor.

So I would say I will choose 100% to .com if it's available.
For .net .org or Ngtlds I put 70% value to keywords + 30% to extensions(meaning).

I would choose any other Ngtlds for very short or dictionary words because least people can afford LLL.com or Dictionary.com. besides .com, .net .org .ngtlds their value is 90% depends on buyer's favor and wealthiness.

For example 2 weeks ago I sold gro.xyz for $1000 but I don't know why, I believe the reason is simple because the buyer can't afford gro.com(or don't want to pay that much).

Opps...I just told a secret, that's why I started to collect some pronounceable LLL.Ngtld.
But do you also look at the number of leads for the keyword?
That actually makes sense. But if you look at certain extensions, if there is no or less demand in the extension itself, any of the blockbuster keywords would also not do it.

It doesn't work like that (as a percentage). Doing price that way would be a mistake, UNLESS you sell pairs.

.net is a wildcard, and so is .org when sold independently.

You can sell the domain either for $199 or sometimes more expensive that the .com (happened to me and it wasn't really specific to the tld).

At 10% you're selling .nets at market price, if so then $150 or less is the usual range. But there are people here selling them for thousands, and the .com isn't in the tens of thousands.

Edit: I don't sell .co domains but been watching them closely, they tend to sell anyway from market price to half the .com value or even higher. With a top value clustering in the 1.5 - 2k range in many cases for valuable names.
Absolutely! But if you look at the reported sales of .COs, you would hardly see numbers in 4 figures.
DO you think they are not reported as much or is the sale in itself, a lot less now?

•••
But do you also look at the number of leads for the keyword?
That actually makes sense. But if you look at certain extensions, if there is no or less demand in the extension itself, any of the blockbuster keywords would also not do it.

Absolutely! But if you look at the reported sales of .COs, you would hardly see numbers in 4 figures.
DO you think they are not reported as much or is the sale in itself, a lot less now?

Sales reporting are a large hit and miss issue. You should look for example in the report sales thread, and you'll see how .co are going. But takes a bit scouring.

Common prices for .co are in the hundreds but they also sell in that 4-dig range as well, when good replacements for an otherwise expensive/unavailable .com.

•••
Ok so here is how it goes.

Few domainers really understand second-level gTLDs such as .net, .org and .co. I believe you are looking to learn and especially having difficulties with pricing, which is absolutely normal and a continuous headache, I'm afraid.

The truth is, these gTLDs don't have a pricing issue. 2-word domains in these TLDs are often sold at prices very close to the .com price. This is because the customer pays for the words, and not necessarily for the tld itself. If it's good enough for them, they might pay top dollar for it.

The problem with .net, .org and .co is volume instead.

There aren't enough buyers looking for them in comparison with .com. My tools (have a bunch of custom them) have measured the niches for .net and .org and evaluate the .net at 13% and .org at 10% in comparison with .com. That's still a sizeable market, but nowhere near .com. I don't have stats for .co as I don't target them (despite being informed for my own knowledge). So if the average annual sales rate for .com is 1...2% , chances are the same rate is 0.2 % for these. This means a very high risk for you getting in it.

Since the markets are very small, many domainers in these gTLDs either lose patience, OR come near renewal time so they let most of these domains go for cheap. This means they are going to flip somewhere below $150 mostly.

Now I'm going to tell you a little secret - I hold less than 5% .net and .org, and mostly .coms . Yet, to my surprise, I've made more money selling .net and .org than the .com . That should give you something to think about. And the .coms I have aren't bad.

You have to take advantage of the tld as well. I've sold 4-fig .orgs because the client was an organization and the .com was NOT the right choice for them. You can, (and other domainers did) sell such domains for mid-high 4-figs in some cases. So they are indeed a wild - wildcard.

These TLDs are counter-intuitive, and they will either get the best or the worst out of you, due to this. You're either going to make good money, OR lose a ton of money in doing so. Most people will end up the latter. If patience and correctly evaluating pricing aren't your skills, or if you are a beginner, then please, stick with .coms instead.

Please note that I don't recommend you to get deep in these. You are likely to break your neck in that, so just do limited cherry-picking and not a deep dive. That's the sane approach.

Besides this, it depends on who you are as a domainer, and what are your goals. I've had .orgs priced at 1.5K when anyone else would price them at $200 and call me insane. They sold for 1.5K because I kept that price AND I believed in it. You have to believe in your price or either the market will enforce its price on you, and with the size of .net and .org you will likely end up selling at discount and losing money in the process.

If you just look to clear or pair what you have, an $150 price for clearing and a $200 or more for pairing with a .com won't leave you still holding the domains. Otherwise, thread carefully. And this is not just for you but for anyone else reading this. (edit: and perhaps not very experienced in these TLD's)

Last edited:
•••
A dot com is a brand. When you buy torogo.com, torogo is a "brand"
And then you buy ccTLDs if you want to operate your brands in specific countries like torogo.uk, torogo.ca and so on

But when you buy torogo.co or torogo.net, you will need to brand your company as torogo.co or torogo.net otherwise people will confuse it to torogo.com unless they also won the .com, and in that .co or .net are as good as any of the new gTLDs. .Net being old, you find more .net that is old
It is not special. For all practical purpose. As more and more people mature, it will be just like any other gTLD but of all the older TLDs, only a few have a good "Sound". If you apply the radio test to TLDs (number of letters too matters though), that is could be why you still see a lot of LLL.us dropped everyday for free hand reg, while you won't find any .in
So, .co .net will always remain at the top right behind .com
UK, AU, CA, DE , FR are strong only because of the GDP and purchashing power of the said countries.
But of all cc Tlds, .in is the strongest, right behind .co
Try searching for one word .in or LLL.in and you will realise that there is no supply. .in sounds as good as .com

.ORG is a whole different beast. You can't compare. There are many good threads about .orgs here.

New gTLDs are great in their limited hypertargeted keyword+tld combination.
Again they would need to brand their company along with the TLD but then domain name is nothing but a groups of letters to get to the IP of your website.

•••
The short answer is it depends.

A .ORG that fits well like Cancer.org would have a massive value compared to .COM.
Something like DumpTruck.org would basically have no value because of the fit.

A domain that might easily sell for $10K+ in .COM might have $0 resale value in .NET.

There is no one size fits all answer.

Brad

•••

A .ORG that fits well like Cancer.org would have a massive value compared to .COM.

A domain that might easily sell for $10K+ in .COM might have $0 resale value in .NET.

Brad

And then there are the foundations of reech Peeple

•••
Sales reporting are a large hit and miss issue. You should look for example in the report sales thread, and you'll see how .co are going. But takes a bit scouring.

Common prices for .co are in the hundreds but they also sell in that 4-dig range as well, when good replacements for an otherwise expensive/unavailable .com.
Makes sense. I'll check it out.

•••
If you put lipstick on a pig, its still a pig

•••
•••
Before nTLDs it was calculated here: https://idnx.com/#tld

The ratio among them seems legit from my experience, but the nTLD thing has diluted the value of net/org/info/ etc domains. So it's a global dilution while relative ratios are more or less still there.

Today I see it more like 15% for .net instead of 25%, 12% for org and less than 10% for .info . (source: my custom tools)

This doesn't however mean that a given .net or .org cannot set for top dollar, but the likelihood is much lower.

•••

But where do you gauge the pricing. A lot of end-user sales aren't reported.

Brad
Correct. And we have seen that in a number of cases.
I saw the sale of CryptoGame(dot)com for $85k. But no value for the other extensions. Or really less.
The ratio among them seems legit from my experience, but the nTLD thing has diluted the value of net/org/info/ etc domains. So it's a global dilution while relative ratios are more or less still there.

Today I see it more like 15% for .net instead of 25%, 12% for org and less than 10% for .info . (source: my custom tools)

This doesn't however mean that a given .net or .org cannot set for top dollar, but the likelihood is much lower.
.info couldn't be anywhere near that. 10% is a lot.
I don't think .info is an alive extension.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back