Domain Empire

The better of the two?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jjngjr

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,
I'm having a difficult time determining whether the singular or plural version of a general or product name (example: battery or batteries) is the better of the two when it comes to resell value.

It seems that most of the time, the singular seems to have higher sales prices when it comes to products. Also, I noticed that most of the time the search volume is higher with the singular.

I'm guessing that the higher searches has a huge influence on this. But, when the search results show the plural and singular listed under just one of the terms, what factors do we utilize in determining the value?

Several names I have that I think the plural would have more value but experienced domainers would probably disagree with is:

aipoweredrobot. com
aipoweredrobots. com
or
arcoloringbook. com
arcoloringbooks. com
or
electricfourwheeler. com
electricfourwheelers. com

Can someone breakdown the reasoning behind why one seems to have more value over the other? I think it would save me and others money from not registering both versions by having a better understanding.

I did a search on Namebio and it became exhausting to find examples of sales that were sold within a reasonable time frame in order to get a better comprehension of why the singular sold for a higher amount.

Maybe folks can post names here that you feel are questionable and with some feedback from members, we can get a better understanding of the criteria that makes one over the other more desirable.

Thanks, Joe

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is a very good question, @jjngjr , but the definitive answer is not easy to come by.

As you say more times the singular sells for more, but not always. If it is for a brand the singular is usually better. But if for an online store, the plural may be better. So triangle more valuable than triangles (a brand not a product) but towels probably better than towel for product store.

Even in brands though sometimes plural better. For example most sports teams brand on plural.

Google results, as you note, can be helpful. Also simply asking 5 to 10 nondomain friends which sounds better can be instructive.

Best wishes for success in domaining.

Bob

From your examples I would choose singular for the AI robot one and probably plural for other two.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think singular is better because it's shorter (-s) but if you could acquire both is best.

Last edited:
•••
Thank You guys for your replies. Bob, I agree totally about the plural being better for an online store. I feel if you were selling products, it's a better choice but it always leaves me thinking for under $10, I should grab the singular. With that thinking, I find myself getting both and it adds up fast.

Thanks Again

•••
On these particular names i like the singular better than the plural, with these names people are more likely to specific the product itself such as arcoloringbook. IMO

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back