IT.COM

discuss The 3D Showcase and Discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi everyone! The 3D market appears to be exploding! Record takes at the box office by movies such as Avatar and Alice in Wonderland and the announcement this week of the new 3D TV which is set to hit markets shortly have helped buoy interest in 3D multimedia platforms. Even the major American television network NBC has jumped in and will be broadcasting the NCAA Final Four basketball games in 3D!

A direct beneficiary from this renewed interest and greatly improved 3D technology is the domain business. Some of you had foresight many years ago and reg'd great names early on. Others (myself included) have only become aquainted with 3D domaining more recently, but see the huge potential this market has opened up for domainers.

Let this be the place for you to show off your 3D domain names. Ask for opinions, marketing strategies or even an appraisal or guesstimation of value. Also, feel free to post any relevant news releases/articles related to the 3D industry.

I will start the thread off with a few of my own reg's..

3DHighDefinitionTV.com (also have plural)
3DHomeEntertainment.co.uk
3DHometheaters.org
3DStreamingMovie.com
3DVancouver.com
3DWhistler.com

Saucey. ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just emailed Samsung business development department on a couple of domains. Hey.... It's worth a shot in the dark anway!!

•••
Good luck Lexis, its always worth a try

Where is froy these days, maybe he has Samsung3D.com for them as well, they might be interested in that one ;)

•••
I just emailed Samsung business development department on a couple of domains. Hey.... It's worth a shot in the dark anway!!

Sounds good man, let us know if you get a reply and how it goes.. Good Luck!!

Where is froy these days, maybe he has Samsung3D.com for them as well, they might be interested in that one ;)

LMAO

•••

LOL, Very Funny!!!

Hey that also reminds me...
Where did that guy 3DDomainNames go?
He was one pretty sharp cookie.

Last edited:
•••
I think that Froy & 3DDomains were probably the same guy... just impersonating as two different people.

what do you think?

•••
I think that Froy & 3DDomains were probably the same guy... just impersonating as two different people.

what do you think?

Very possible...
I'd have to go back and re-read that whole entire 700 page trainwreck again, lol

•••
froy
Account Closed

Huh ?

•••

Froy either got tired of all that pumping or was banned.

Either way, what a surprise.

;)

I have my eye on an aftermarket 3d domain, which already has a product connected with it (but not trademarked).

I'm tempted to bid, but I already have seven 3d domains (one is a 4-character .com that could have at least two other applications apart from 3d, should 3d go down in flames) and thinking maybe I should quit and not dabble in the aftermarket, at least not with 3d. About a month ago, I bid on an aftermarket domain but dropped out when the price became too high for a speculative investment.

I might kick myself later...

I'm not sure if I'm asking for advice or just talking to myself.

Probably not fair asking for advice since I'm not revealing the domain.

Giles, it seems that you are heavily into the aftermarket; your 3d domains are high quality and could pay off handsomely. Of course, it could all go south if another term emerges. My question: are you at all nervous about the future of 3d, or do you think this is a sure thing?

This is an honest question with no snark intended.

I'm truly on the fence about 3d.

•••
Hi,

as a noob I've been following all the threads on 3D very closely and I've bought over 200 3D domain names e.g. 3DFootball.org, 3DUM.com , 3DFights.com etc etc, some as good some a lot worse which I will no doubt drop. What strikes me with a few of the people who call themselves Domain experts, pros etc is a strangey ambivalent attitude...we've seen it all before, here we go again etc.

Whilst I would have to agree that of course, there is a possibility that it could all go pear-shaped and these domains might be just a reaction to a fad ( although I personally doubt it), even if you were to spend say £1000...that's just the price of a holiday or a computer or whatever..! It's SO got to be worth a gamble...a calculated gamble that is. Even though I knew zilch about domaining a few months ago I read an article on 3D...then another...then another and I knew that everything hinged on sucess of Avatar...I told my family...buy 3D domains now because if Avatar does what I think it's going to do then there'll be a goldrush and any half-decent ones will be gone.

None of them were interested BTW.

You know something, I REALLY hope that 3D domains take off of course, but for the money I've spent and the fun and buzz I've had of looking and nabbing (what I think) are great domain names, the research , the joining of forums ( even though I've been told off for posting appraisal requests in wrong thread..oops), it's been an education...got to be worth it. I have even followed advice and diversified, researched future trends ( holosexual.com, hologamers.com ) . I have certainly learned not to buy any more TM names ( 3DHarryPotter.com etc...noob error, am in process of getting rid) . Anyhoo, what I'm trying to say is:

a) I am confident that 3D is here to stay
b) People will ( for the first few years anyway) be putting a 3D in search terms.
c) Some of these domains will earn big bucks,most will not.
d) It's a calculated gamble
e) Research research research

..and wait.

Thanks for listening :)

•••
Hope we hear good news,
good luck!

•••
Giles, it seems that you are heavily into the aftermarket; your 3d domains are high quality and could pay off handsomely. Of course, it could all go south if another term emerges. My question: are you at all nervous about the future of 3d, or do you think this is a sure thing?

This is an honest question with no snark intended.

I'm truly on the fence about 3d.

I personally believe 3D will be the standard within a few years. I think most technogeeks will rush and buy 3D TV's soon, and other people who are interested will wait until prices drop a bit like they always do.

Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic, as well as people like James Cameron and all the big hollywood studios have invested far too much money to not make it a succcess. Channel 4 has a 3D Channel, and SKY, ESPN, SONY, DirecTV are all bringing, or helping to bring out 3D Channels out this year. Foxtel here in Australia also have one in the pipeline.

I think if it was some small independent companies pushing the technology, you could be a bit more sceptical, but with the big boys on board, I think it cant really fail. Just how big it becomes is the big question......will it stop at movies and sport as 3D TV, or will all commercials, Documentaries, Sitcoms, Reality Shows be 3D as well. Will it just be TV, or will it go to laptops, Computers, Phone, Ipad, billboards, MP3 players etc etc

Most people jump on the bandwagon, even if its not something they're particularly fascinated with.

I think scour the aftermarket and dont just chuck 3D on any random word, be selective in what you pick and do google research on whats coming up and where the whole 3D concept is heading.

Just my opinion guys...good luck all

Last edited:
•••
I personally believe 3D will be the standard withing a few years. I think most technogeeks will rush and buy 3D TV's soon, and other people who are interested will wait until prices drop a bit like they always do.

Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic, as well as people like James Cameron and all the big hollywood studios have invested far too much money to not make it a succcess. Channel 4 has a 3D Channel, and SKY, ESPN, SONY, DirecTV are all bringing, or helping to bring out 3D Channels out this year. Foxtel here in Australia also have one in the pipeline.

I think if it was some small independent companies pushing the technology, you could be a bit more sceptical, but with the big boys on board, I think it cant really fail. Just how big it becomes is the big question......will it stop at movies and sport as 3D TV, or will all commercials, Documentaries, Sitcoms, Reality Shows be 3D as well. Will it just be TV, or will it go to laptops, Computers, Phone, Ipad, billboards, MP3 players etc etc

Most people jump on the bandwagon, even its not something they're particularly fascinated with.

I think scour the aftermarket and dont just chuck 3D on any random word, be selective in what you pick and do google research on whats coming up and where the whole 3D concept is heading.

Just my opinion guys...good luck all

I totally agree.

•••
Not sure how but ive managed to get one of my 3d domains onto sedo Premium Auction starting today, 3DPLAYERS.CO.UK , must be the year of 3D!

•••
Great Posts Giles, and Lubbinit,

I agree wholeheartedly!

Ms. Domainer,
I like the way you write, just kinda thinkin out loud and typing.
I almost always do the same thing. :)

As for 3D, no one here wants anyone else to make a bad investment.
No one wants to see anyone lose any money.
There is no push here to create a mass appeall on 3D domains,
in order to create more artificial value in our own portfolio's.

I truly think that if you put an hour or 2 in researching 3D on Google you will see this is not a fad.
3DTv's, All Dreamworks Movies now to be in 3D,
Live Broadcasts of the Largest Sporting Events (Soccer World Cup is already scheduled)
FIFA.com - 2010 FIFA World Cupâ„¢ to pioneer 3D technology
Live 3D Concerts have already started just previous to the opening of Avatar,
(U2, hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, DisneyLand just announced they are bringing back the old Michael Jackson 3D viewing experience at their parks)
Michael Jackson 3D Movie Captain EO may be back at Disneyland - Watch the movie here
and the list goes on, and on, and on.

My belief, for whatever it's worth is 3D is a huge game changer for ALL of our visual experiences.
It hasn't even begun yet, and all the major players have plans to take this 3D thing into overdrive.

I won't stop believing in 3D until I am proven wrong.
Not 1 naysayer here can deter me on this thing cuz it's coming.

Domains are a dime a dozen, will some of mine fail? Yep.
Will some hit and become valuable? Yep.
I am ready for it.

If you see a relevant 3D domain in the Aftermarket that you are on the fence about.
Not knowing what it is, but knowing how smart you are,
I would suggest to grab it.
If you don't decide to, please pm me the name.

Ok, my ramblings are done.
Oh, I forgot to say..
Good Luck Lexis on your 3D Samsung EndUser pitches.
Keep us posted.

and MrCurly,
Awesome!
3DPlayers.co.uk is at auction!
How much was the start bid?
and how high is it now?

Last edited:
•••
Great post dot stop, I could not agree more with you, everything you said is spot on IMO.

I have a couple of names Im on the fence with??? Itt not whether name is good or whether 3D will fail, its just whether I want to spend the kinda money they are asking??

•••
Yep, ditto. I think it's a case Giles of weighing up the pain to the pocket now as opposed to the pain to the 'regret' gland later. You guy's have oodles more experience than me with these things, I've never bought a domain at auction or whatever. If i had the dosh I'd probably be looking to though.

Also can anyone see value in domains like GAM3S.COM or S3X.COM or similar ( i don't own these btw). I've bought a few that turn the e into a 3. It's a punt !

•••
•••

what do you think?

3Ddomain is working his ass-off at 2 jobs...+ domainer/website develop.

ps: Why are you trying to make a link between them too? Looks pretty much like a cheap shot!

Last edited:
•••
and MrCurly,
Awesome!
3DPlayers.co.uk is at auction!
How much was the start bid?
and how high is it now?

No bids as yet mate, i have a reserve of £450 so if it doesnt sell then ill give it 6 months then re-submit for the auction when 3d players are everywhere.

Just regd - FREE3DMOVIES.CO.UK , DOWNLOAD3DMOVIES.CO.UK , just to keep me ticking over on a cold day in Stoke on Trent ( UK )

:laugh:

•••
My latest reg is 3Dcapsule .com

I can see these replacing the current games consoles in the near future.
Maybe we will see them at next years CES.

•••
Nothing yet from Samsung email proposal. I've sent Panasonic one also. (pending response)

PS: 3D Marketer is now ranked 1st on Google.

•••

what do you think?

I think it was froy and 3dmillionaire, not 3ddomains?

•••
You can easily rank any domain with no competition high in Google.

The term has 5 exact Google results -
Results 1 - 5 of 5 for "3d marketer"

Brad

PS: 3D Marketer is now ranked 1st on Google.

•••
Thanks Bmugford. Google indexed the site within 1 1/2 weeks. It's a bit harder, however, to get ranked for some of the more competitive terms such as 3DGames, etc.

•••

I just picked up 3dheadtracking.com

I'm sure that just about everyone has seen Johnny Chung Lee's headtracking video on Youtube, but now it looks as though Apple and Microsoft may be jumping in this area with products that will be easier to use than Lee's homemade device (which is awesome, btw).

AppleInsider | Apple exploring 3D head-tracking, battery life improvements

Only 210 exact search for adsense as of now, but over 500,000 on the search engine (in quotes) with about 6 or 7 ads.

It's a gamble, and it's quite likely that the "3d" term will eventually disappear. But I thought it was worth the shot.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back