Domain Empire

discuss The 3D Showcase and Discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi everyone! The 3D market appears to be exploding! Record takes at the box office by movies such as Avatar and Alice in Wonderland and the announcement this week of the new 3D TV which is set to hit markets shortly have helped buoy interest in 3D multimedia platforms. Even the major American television network NBC has jumped in and will be broadcasting the NCAA Final Four basketball games in 3D!

A direct beneficiary from this renewed interest and greatly improved 3D technology is the domain business. Some of you had foresight many years ago and reg'd great names early on. Others (myself included) have only become aquainted with 3D domaining more recently, but see the huge potential this market has opened up for domainers.

Let this be the place for you to show off your 3D domain names. Ask for opinions, marketing strategies or even an appraisal or guesstimation of value. Also, feel free to post any relevant news releases/articles related to the 3D industry.

I will start the thread off with a few of my own reg's..

3DHighDefinitionTV.com (also have plural)
3DHomeEntertainment.co.uk
3DHometheaters.org
3DStreamingMovie.com
3DVancouver.com
3DWhistler.com

Saucey. ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They didn't give me a direct web site link but they did give me a link to a forum page that recomendeds a web appraisal site. I've just had a further look into this 'recommended' web site and it is a set up! Its just one page set up to look like a forum page... lol.

I didnt use their recomendation anyway and used godaddy.

How do you know this? Fallen for one before like me? lol

Thanks for all your replies by the way! :)

Richard

•••
If I got one of those emails I would respond by saying "you pay for it and then just give me $4950* for the domain".

*Example appraisal being $50.

•••
nah .. never bit ..
.. but i get a lot of those emails for different names.

If you don't respond at all, they just go away.

good luck to you

•••
I think I'll do that from now on!

Thanks for your advice, very appreciated :)

Richard

•••
Here are my 3D's so far. I think some of them are good considering i was so late in registering them.

3DActionDVD.com
3DAdvertisingDisplay(s).com
3DAdvertisingAgency.net
3DAdvertisingSoftware.com
3DGamePad.com
3DiPlayer.com
3DMovieRental(s).net
3DMultiScreen.com
4DPuzzle.co.uk

Last edited:
•••
3dgoogle.org has just come avail for reg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, what were you saying about TM's???????

•••
Tell that to the guy who handregged camroulette.com (To name just one)
This is the exception to the rule. Not kidding :)
Do you have other similar examples to share ? I don't.

Compile a list of reported sales in the $$$,$$$ range and even lower. Check the creation date of each domain. It will be closer to 2000 and earlier, than 2010.
Now age alone doesn't make domains valuable. But the best/most desirable domains are usually old domains.

Also if the 'real money is in the aftermarket', why do you post lists of available 'good' .com domains ?
You can't be serious or you would reg them yourself.
Fair question. Let me clarify.
There are some decent names here and there imho, but they will not make you rich ($$$ flips are still possible though).
I cannot register just about any domain because I think it has 'potential'. There is a difference between a decent domain and a premium domain. I am not claiming the domains from my lists are premium.
And I don't use the word premium lightly :gl:

Back to the aftermarket:
Since the best names were registered long ago there is zero hope of finding a gem unregistered unless we are talking about snapping drops.

As for the drops, well, top domains seldom drop these days. This is domaining 101.
The best domains are now auctioned off as preleases by the registrars.
When strong domains drop nonetheless it's for specific reasons or because the registrar is other than nsi enom godaddy etc and has a policy of dropping all abandoned domains.

In this thread we are not even talking about preowned (dropped) domains, we are talking about never registered before domains. In other words, domains that nobody has ever deemed worthy of reg fee before.

•••

Great post, sdsinc, which pretty much sums up the state of hand regging any domain, let alone 3D.

You're exactly right about the domains you post as available. They are good domains with potential, some of them are catchy, and some of them might appeal to resellers or endusers who specialicize in certain niches. In presenting your lists, you have never promised wealth to anyone.

Occasionally, I find a hand reg that I like for esthetic reasons but am under no illusions as to its value. Having said that, I have sold some of my hand regs for mid and high xxx. But most I have not.

Opalxx, I sincerely hope you don't reg that 3D Google domain (in short, I hope that you were just kidding and joking around). Really, it's one thing to take a chance on an iffy 3D domain, but to take on the big Goog? Well, that would just be foolish and could cause headaches and financial ruin for the person who regs it.

I think there is a good reason why it dropped.

Peace, all.

•••
these were registered a WHOLE 60 days before they were just recently sold:
SIXTY DAYS!!!!

• BUY3DPC/com
• BUY3DLAPTOP/com

EACH sold for $1,000

- - - -

• Buy3d-TV/com - registered in October 2009
... SOLD for $850 in MAY

and just for ROI percentages...
.. i myself paid $0.89 for a "*little,lowly dot info" in february

• 3dCellphones/info

and returned $110 in April

(* sarcasm)

and i'm not even mentioning D-K's sales either.
these are just a couple that i know of - i'm sure there's more examples of early returns.

- - - -

Break The Bank?... NOPE
Profit?.... YUP

those were all within the past 2 months or so.

Again...
... i don't know WHY - YOU - THINK - WE - ALL - NEED - TO - TURN - SIX - FIGURE - SALES to make this profitable... or FUN.

We ALL buy our education in some form or another - there is NO SUCH thing as FREE LEARNING, so what's your problem?

- - - - - --

..and seriously... it's the same FOUR or FIVE people - can't we all just ignore them?

Tell me something good people
:)

Last edited:
•••
Tell me something good people
:)
I have great news. Lubbinit has 3Dcheerleader.com and I think you should buy it since you are solely responsible for this 3D domain hoopla. You started the DimwitPoint thread and posted heavily to the original thread here.

Think about that for a second. Without your hype, none of this is happening. What does that say about the foundation of 3D domains?

•••
I have great news. Lubbinit has 3Dcheerleader.com and I think you should buy it since you are solely responsible for this 3D domain hoopla. You started the DimwitPoint thread and posted heavily to the original thread here.

Think about that for a second. Without your hype, none of this is happening. What does that say about the foundation of 3D domains?

"if you sit back long enough in a good debate, it's amazing how quick the opposition can leap so fast as to discredit themselves."
- JV, 2010

I see you have 1,300 some odd posts DubDub... without looking, i'm sure this is one of the least flattering for your credibility... please do not edit this post and leave it for all eternity so the rest of the world can witness all your wonderful 'words of wisdom' for years to come. (This is also WHY you were 'quoted')

my defense rests on your brilliant statement...
... your words ring hollow to me now grasshopper.

•••
"This is the exception to the rule. Not kidding :)
Do you have other similar examples to share ? I don't."

I am sure that if I had enough time to look, I could find a few more, it should be noted that the 'exceptions' are usually related to something new.

"Compile a list of reported sales in the $$$,$$$ range and even lower. Check the creation date of each domain. It will be closer to 2000 and earlier, than 2010.
Now age alone doesn't make domains valuable. But the best/most desirable domains are usually old domains."

Again, in almost all cases this is a true statement, but I don't see anyone in this thread claiming that their handreg domains are worth these amounts.

"Fair question. Let me clarify.
There are some decent names here and there imho, but they will not make you rich ($$$ flips are still possible though).
I cannot register just about any domain because I think it has 'potential'. There is a difference between a decent domain and a premium domain. I am not claiming the domains from my lists are premium.
And I don't use the word premium lightly :gl:"

From this, I understand that you only deal in premium domains ?
The lists you post are a free service for the community, and I commend you for that. If $$$ flips are still possible from your lists of good domains, then I assume that you would agree that any $$$ sales of handreg domains would make them good domains ?

"Back to the aftermarket:
Since the best names were registered long ago there is zero hope of finding a gem unregistered unless we are talking about snapping drops.

As for the drops, well, top domains seldom drop these days. This is domaining 101.
The best domains are now auctioned off as preleases by the registrars.
When strong domains drop nonetheless it's for specific reasons or because the registrar is other than nsi enom godaddy etc and has a policy of dropping all abandoned domains."

Good useful info.

"In this thread we are not even talking about preowned (dropped) domains, we are talking about never registered before domains. In other words, domains that nobody has ever deemed worthy of reg fee before."

Or have not been relevant in the past ?

Thanks for a good and informative post. Most people who are just entering the domain trading business think their first registered domains are going to sell for $$$,$$$, and of course they soon find out they are wrong. I am sure that when they read informative posts like this one, it will make them stop and think before overspending, or putting all their eggs in one basket.

Last edited:
•••

• 3dCellphones/info

Good for you.

Break The Bank?... NOPE
Profit?.... YUP

those were all within the past 2 months or so.

Again...
... i don't know WHY - YOU - THINK - WE - ALL - NEED - TO - TURN - SIX - FIGURE - SALES to make this profitable... or FUN.
What is essential is that we make our time worthwhile.
Somebody once said that when you put too much time into it, at some point it becomes more of a job than an investment.
Now, if it takes three hours of research to find a domain that will be flipped for $100, then there is more money (and certainty) in your regular day job (mine anyway).
That's why I am surprised there is so much buzz in certain threads, when we see members making $$$ sales at best.

We ALL buy our education in some form or another - there is NO SUCH thing as FREE LEARNING, so what's your problem?
Free learning ? Yes, on Namepros :)
Everybody can learn from the mistakes of others, it's not a requirement to take a stab to learn :)

•••
Good for you.

That's why I am surprised there is so much buzz in certain threads, when we see members making $$$ sales at best.

Well, you see... you've been arguiing that we're not all gonna retire on these names.. while everyone else is arguiing that they have no intentions of it... then you give us this post...
but if everyone else is more than happy to turn mid and low $xxx from $8, what's your problem?

Maybe everyone else is just a bit more grounded then you think, making this all completely harmless even more.

Good for you.

Free learning ? Yes, on Namepros :)
Everybody can learn from the mistakes of others, it's not a requirement to take a stab to learn :)

Gotta tell ya .. this is NO place to learn anything.
The ONLY thing you learn here is HOW to argue, and how to become MORE stubborn in your ways.

.. you know how many questions i'd LOVE to ask on this forum that i don't because i don't feel like hearing the naysayers?
THINK ABOUT THAT little miss 'helpful' - and i'm not alone... you should see some of the PM's i have gotten complaining about you people.

This has been the 'other' argument in this room ...
... no one here is opposed to listening and learning ... most of us actually welcome it and wish for it.. but you four/five people SUCK at giving advice, SUCK at helping and have no sense about you as to what you are saying and HOW you say it...
.. you also have only have ONE way of thinking and can't seem to help others who differ in your domaining opinions.... very bad mix... and very unhelpful.

In baseball, every batter has a different stance - whatever stance is comfortable to that batter... the hitting instructor does not tell every batter to stand the same way or swing the same way... or place his feet in the same spot... no .. the 'instructor' helps that batter find a way to get hits using that individuals batting stance, technique or method. If you are unable to find a way to connect with that batter's approach or thought process, then you stand no chance at teaching that person anything.

If YOU'RE considered free education, then i guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks but no thanks from you - i'll PASS on your teachings.

**BTW... just because you BUY a domain name in the aftermarket for $500 and sell it for $550 does NOT make you ANYTHING special on Sedo, NP or ANYwhere for that matter

Last edited:
•••
Gotta tell ya .. this is NO place to learn anything.
The ONLY thing you learn here is HOW to argue, and how to become MORE stubborn in your ways.

That is rubbish...this is by far the best place (along with DNF) to learn anything on domaining. A lot of the worlds top domainers (people that make a fortune from domains) are or have been on this forum and a lot have learnt their trade from being here....so just remember that.

3dDomainNames, if you want to ask something about domains, just ask in the general discussion area, you wont get all the 3D naysayers and trolls hassling you all the time.

•••
That is rubbish...this is by far the best place (along with DNF) to learn anything on domaining.

Fair enough ..
.. i was wrong to group the entire the forum within that statement - i 100% take that back.

:blink:

•••

• 3dCellphones/info

How many $$$ have you spent on domains before you sold one for $110? If you are talking about domaining ROI, you should consider ROI based on your complete portfolio, not one domain.

•••
How many $$$ have you spent on domains before you sold one for $110? If you are talking about domaining ROI, you should consider ROI based on your complete portfolio, not one domain.

That is info that most will not give, just 1 loss on a premium domain can turn your year into a disaster :lol:

•••
NoGlassesRequired.com now page 1 Google for search- no glasses required.

Please feel free to comment on the blog.

•••
That being said, I think the mini-minisites (and that is exactly what they are) being posted in this thread are a total waste of time. They are nothing more than a crappy design, links to Amazon products and some embedded YouTube videos. Good luck with that. Unfortunately you guys have so many 3D domains each that it is impossible for you to run that many serious sites. So you can't even use the development fallback argument like you could if you had limited yourselves to a small handful of decent domains instead of 50, 100, 300, 600 "regfee & pray" 3D domains.

--Do viewers look at a TV screen and ask 'where are the pages'?

--Do people spend more time watching TV or reading pages of print? [my viewers average 27 minutes on-site]

--Is it "impossible" for a studio to "seriously" run tv shows across a network of hundreds or thousands of stations / sites?

--Does the number of Screens a film or tv program can be seen on influence audience reach and revenue?

--Is a TV player website with streaming embedded YouTube videos ready for Google TV? (and such)?

I'll be launching two more TV player "minsites" this week as I build out my network of tv sites.

Apparently, you see domains as places for print format pages and webmasters as one-off hand-crank printers.

I see domains names as Station 'call letters' and the web as a global tv broadcast network.

Both webs co-exist. The first generation belonged to print formats. The following generations belong to TV.

(BTW, I checked out dubdubdub.com - now THAT's a mini-site!)

•••
Just noticed on yahoo.com - on the 'trending now' column, number 9 is 3D games. Not bad, this term was almost unheard of just 2 months ago.

•••
Just noticed that 3DDesigns.net sold on SEDO for $1,300
Whois - Record created on 31-Jan-1998.

•••
Opalxx, I sincerely hope you don't reg that 3D Google domain (in short, I hope that you were just kidding and joking around). Really, it's one thing to take a chance on an iffy 3D domain, but to take on the big Goog? Well, that would just be foolish and could cause headaches and financial ruin for the person who regs it.

I think there is a good reason why it dropped.

Peace, all.

Yes, just trying to add a little lightheartedness to a sometimes very dreary thread. I have learnt my TMS lessons. Everytime i see one i get hot flushes...or is that PMS?

Almost forgot..just regged:-
3dsports.biz I think it fits well with biz and
3dartist.info.

Both have good cpc and searches.

Last edited:
•••
3dblog.com just sold for($500 GBP) on Sedo!

-- Also 3ddating.com sold on Sedo for($4,750 USD)---

Last edited:
•••
Very impressive sales indeed. 3D dating whois shows it was created in 2003 and 3dblog in 2004.

3dblog.com just sold for($500 GBP) on Sedo!

-- Also 3ddating.com sold on Sedo for($4,750 USD)---

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Frankly, I wouldn't have ever imagined that 3d ( dating ) would sell. I mean how do you date in 3D? But anyway, nice to see high priced sales of not so common terms.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back