NameSilo

discuss The 3D Showcase and Discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi everyone! The 3D market appears to be exploding! Record takes at the box office by movies such as Avatar and Alice in Wonderland and the announcement this week of the new 3D TV which is set to hit markets shortly have helped buoy interest in 3D multimedia platforms. Even the major American television network NBC has jumped in and will be broadcasting the NCAA Final Four basketball games in 3D!

A direct beneficiary from this renewed interest and greatly improved 3D technology is the domain business. Some of you had foresight many years ago and reg'd great names early on. Others (myself included) have only become aquainted with 3D domaining more recently, but see the huge potential this market has opened up for domainers.

Let this be the place for you to show off your 3D domain names. Ask for opinions, marketing strategies or even an appraisal or guesstimation of value. Also, feel free to post any relevant news releases/articles related to the 3D industry.

I will start the thread off with a few of my own reg's..

3DHighDefinitionTV.com (also have plural)
3DHomeEntertainment.co.uk
3DHometheaters.org
3DStreamingMovie.com
3DVancouver.com
3DWhistler.com

Saucey. ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I got..

3DPersonalComputer.com/.info
3DPresentation.net
3DMI.org/.info

opinions welcome.

Hey! Just an opinion.. but not crazy about any of 'em, but, out of the three you posted, I think 3DPresentation.net has the best chance. I will say that I have no idea what 3DMI stands for, but if it is a common acronym then obviously it has a good chance too. 3DPersonalComputer.com is too long in my opinion, especially for type in traffic. Everybody will be typing in 3d pc, or possibly 3d computer... but I don't see anyone typing in 3d personal computer. It may be a good one to develop if you are into that, but for an end user sale, I don't think it will fly.

J M O.

Saucey B-)

•••
Hey! Just an opinion.. but not crazy about any of 'em, but, out of the three you posted, I think 3DPresentation.net has the best chance. I will say that I have no idea what 3DMI stands for, but if it is a common acronym then obviously it has a good chance too. 3DPersonalComputer.com is too long in my opinion, especially for type in traffic. Everybody will be typing in 3d pc, or possibly 3d computer... but I don't see anyone typing in 3d personal computer. It may be a good one to develop if you are into that, but for an end user sale, I don't think it will fly.

J M O.

Saucey B-)

Thanks for your opinion. I know 3D Personal Computer is a long domain, but I'm going to develop.

•••
•••

J M O.

Saucey B-)
3dmi seems to be a crash hot name to me.

3DMI - 3D Motion Imagery

•••
3dmi seems to be a crash hot name to me.

3DMI - 3D Motion Imagery

3DMI can also satnd for "3D Multimedia Interface".

•••
Last edited:
•••
too slow off the mark or just don't like 'em at all?
I am still puzzled by how people claim that naysayers are bitter for not getting in early enough when YOU didn't even get in early enough. I do not see a decent upside to domaining 3D domains outside of the high end domains that were registered 10 years ago. Yes, I should have bought some 3D domains back then. So should you have. The difference between us is that I let the leftover $#!& lay on the ground for you 3D pigs to roll in.

I did a bulk check earlier this year and the good names were of course gone. From a domaining standpoint, that was it for me. IMO it was and still is too risky to pay current domainer aftermarket prices on these good names unless you get lucky and a lowball offer is accepted.

From the potential development end, it makes some sense to see what is out there on the cheap (preferably regfee). I brainstormed about 150 "likely available" 3D .coms a few days ago. Around 25 were available. About half were decent, with just 1 or 2 standing out. Although I suspect that all 25 would quickly be registered if I posted the list here.

Any 3D site development that I do is under two assumptions:
1. It will be years before online retailers can entice 3DTV buyers since offline retail stores will have similar prices. So I don't see money being made selling 3DTVs though affiliate links.
2. This is temporary website development. 3D will quickly lose it's hype like HD did, and with that the specialty niche sites are unnecessary.

That being said, I think the mini-minisites (and that is exactly what they are) being posted in this thread are a total waste of time. They are nothing more than a crappy design, links to Amazon products and some embedded YouTube videos. Good luck with that. Unfortunately you guys have so many 3D domains each that it is impossible for you to run that many serious sites. So you can't even use the development fallback argument like you could if you had limited yourselves to a small handful of decent domains instead of 50, 100, 300, 600 "regfee & pray" 3D domains.

•••
Another of my 3D domains just paid for itself.
Average rev per click just short of £1

Thanks Adsense :$::$::$:

•••
Another of my 3D domains just paid for itself.
Average rev per click just short of £1

Thanks Adsense :$::$::$:

Just yesterday i racked up my fifth conversion on the 3d Dvd Rentals-com site.... that's now a total of $95 from Netflix since February ($19 a pop)... and i only have 18 or 19 movies listed there due to lack of content... that site could be a nice keeper... sitting number 4 on Yahoo for the term '3d DVD' - and number 30 for the term '3d Movie' (number 35 on Bing for 3d dvd - and nowhere to be found on google - affiliate penalties have limited this site to just ranking for the domain name itself on google (no. 1 for 3d dvd rentals - that's the only place i rank)... alexa doesn't seem to like me too much either as it has still yet to rank me even though i have decent stats - not happy about that even though they're a farce

...still happy about that number though :)

- - - - -

also..
... thought you might find this interesting...
... a few domain names i have targeted for certain niche's, have actually started to become more valuable in others. Is anybody else seeing this happen with any of their names?

for example..
... i grabbed '3d On PC' and 'PC in 3D' - both dot com's... thinking, obviously more for the PC area of the market... but as my alerts are making me aware that these terms are being used largely for the gaming industry, which could actually be a nice added value.

and another little block of names i have seem to be one of the most talked about terms at the latest E3 show... 'All In One 3d' (.com)... and both .com versions, '3d AIO' and 'AIO 3d'... very pleased with whats going on with these... lots of possibilities.

... in other news..
... '3d Building Projection' is just off the charts VIRAL right now as everybody is posting those video's all around the web... i finally hit google for that site... sitting number 12 for the term... nope - not searched a whole lot yet, and there are no affiliates on this site, so i plan on staying there... but what would you all think of some kind of lead generation for that site? Surely the people who create those amazing displays would LOVE a nice solid lead 'cause you KNOW that aint cheap (haha)

anyway ..
... anybody else have any other changes in their 3d names or updates to mention?... any mini site updates?.. how about unique hits?...

...and let's keep our discussion where is should be... making the others NOT MATTER is worse than anything you can ever say back to them.

NJoy

•••
''I did a bulk check earlier this year and the good names were of course gone..''

and that answered my original question...DDDDot did have a little sniff for 3D names (in BULK no less) and the 'good' names were gone!

He should've spared us the rest of the diatribe and said ''yep, I WAS just too slow.''

Oh, and the 'good' names were gone, of course they were..

We'd already regged 'em!

Now give it up fella as by that one phrase you've already negated every argument.

You sniffed, you failed, sour grapes.

Thank you and Goodnight !

LMAO.

•••
I respect everyones opinion on this thread, even the ones who don't particularly like the 3D names because somewhere they do have a point as quite a few of the domains seem very vague. The guys supporting 3D are also right in the way that its a brand new technology and the future of it is yet to be seen. It may or may not take the same path as other technologies - like HD for example which is not used with most domains and does not usually add too much value to a domain name. But 3D just might make a niche for itself in the domain name area where atleast the major and relevant keywords might benefit with 3D being part of the name to make it stand out of the crowd.

But its too early to say, its a 50-50 chance. Its a bit like gambling. So there are BOUND to be different opinions. Opinions are like As$Ho^es, everyone's got one on them:) and so do I.

My opinion is that moderation with reg. of the 3D names is a good idea at this point and its a good idea to wait and watch and try to register only the most relevant names for now. But thats my opinion and people who have a bigger investment potential and probably some sort of a business model/financial plan/vision in their minds would have a different opinion and would be more than willing to take a chance. Many people love taking chances, its purely a personal choice.

So all said and done, I would like to say that I do understand and appreciate your take on this DUBDUB and I'm sure you must be quite a successful domainer, but I do feel degrading the others who have different opinions is quite unfair for everyone on this thread.

The difference between us is that I let the leftover $#!& lay on the ground for you 3D pigs to roll in.

•••
He should've spared us the rest of the diatribe and said ''yep, I WAS just too slow.''

We'd already regged 'em!
I guess maybe if you accuse people of being too slow enough times you can keep the fantasy alive that you are now in a prime position from getting in on something early.

•••
I guess maybe if you accuse people of being too slow enough times you can keep the fantasy alive that you are now in a prime position from getting in on something early.

''I did a bulk check earlier this year and the good names were of course gone..''

FAIL

:laugh:

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

I respect everyones opinion on this thread, even the ones who don't particularly like the 3D names because somewhere they do have a point as quite a few of the domains seem very vague. The guys supporting 3D are also right in the way that its a brand new technology and the future of it is yet to be seen. It may or may not take the same path as other technologies - like HD for example which is not used with most domains and does not usually add too much value to a domain name. But 3D just might make a niche for itself in the domain name area where atleast the major and relevant keywords might benefit with 3D being part of the name to make it stand out of the crowd.

But its too early to say, its a 50-50 chance. Its a bit like gambling. So there are BOUND to be different opinions. Opinions are like As$Ho^es, everyone's got one on them:) and so do I.

My opinion is that moderation with reg. of the 3D names is a good idea at this point and its a good idea to wait and watch and try to register only the most relevant names for now. But thats my opinion and people who have a bigger investment potential and probably some sort of a business model/financial plan/vision in their minds would have a different opinion and would be more than willing to take a chance. Many people love taking chances, its purely a personal choice.

So all said and done, I would like to say that I do understand and appreciate your take on this DUBDUB and I'm sure you must be quite a successful domainer, but I do feel degrading the others who have different opinions is quite unfair for everyone on this thread.

SUCCESS :wave:

•••
Does anyone reckon 3D photocopiers will be popular in a few years to come?

•••
It's common knowledge that most of the best domains (in general) were registered long ago ago. Not just the 3D domains.
The real money is in the aftermarket nowadays, not in fresh regs of never registered before domains.

We'd already regged 'em!
Where are they ?

•••
It's common knowledge that most of the best domains (in general) were registered long ago ago. Not just the 3D domains.
The real money is in the aftermarket nowadays, not in fresh regs of never registered before domains.

????? Have you actually read what you have in your sig?

"Following the crowd will not get you anything but a view of their backside."

How's the view?

Where are they ?

This is where I actually have the nuts ( are you paying attention DDDDot?) to stand by my sig. Please feel free to criticize to your hearts content on my choices.

BTW

'It's common ( ?) knowledge that most (?) of the best (?) domains were registered long ago.'

There is so much wrong with this sentence it's BRILLIANT!!

•••
I have to say the hubris of some of the 3D domainers is rather amusing. Some of these guys think they are visionaries or something for buying decent 3D domains in 2010? Give me a break.

It is true that unless a domain drops, all true top tier 3D domains have been taken for years. The people who regged those are the visionaries.

There is no shortage of "confidence" in this thread, although other words could be used as well. Unfortunately the supply of confidence is far greater than the supply of good 3D domains.

Brad

and that answered my original question...DDDDot did have a little sniff for 3D names (in BULK no less) and the 'good' names were gone!

We'd already regged 'em!

Now give it up fella as by that one phrase you've already negated every argument.

You sniffed, you failed, sour grapes.

Thank you and Goodnight !

LMAO.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

'It's common ( ?) knowledge that most (?) of the best (?) domains were registered long ago.'

There is so much wrong with this sentence it's BRILLIANT!!

What is wrong with that statement exactly? The amazing domains have been mined long ago. It is not to say there are still not opportunities to do well buying domains now, but if you think you are going to show up in 2010 and handreg your way to riches you are dreaming.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Tell that to the guy who handregged camroulette.com (To name just one)

Also if the 'real money is in the aftermarket', why do you post lists of available 'good' .com domains ?
You can't be serious or you would reg them yourself.

•••
3D Domains

--

Last edited:
•••
I have to say the hubris of some of the 3D domainers is rather amusing. Some of these guys think they are visionaries or something for buying decent 3D domains in 2010? Give me a break.

It is true that unless a domain drops, all true top tier 3D domains have been taken for years. The people who regged those are the visionaries.

There is no shortage of "confidence" in this thread, although other words could be used as well. Unfortunately the supply of confidence is far greater than the supply of good 3D domains.

Brad

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

What is wrong with that statement exactly? The amazing domains have been mined long ago. It is not to say there are still not opportunities to do well buying domains now, but if you think you are going to show up in 2010 and handreg your way to riches you are dreaming.

Brad

Hubris? No, it's defending a point of view from sweeping dismissive statements. I absolutely agree that the guys who bought e.g. 3D.com etc had incredible foresight. But at what point have any of us called ourselves visionaries? We are gamblers,investors and speculators who are not afraid to put our money where our mouths are...and show what we've bought!

''but if you think you are going to show up in 2010 and handreg your way to riches you are dreaming''

Not dreaming...speculating... on how this 3D will develop. I'm also speculating on AR, Holograms and OLED. I for one am glad that there is no shortage of confidence in this thread, it obviously really winds certain people up.

This 'I've been around a while and I know best' is 'rather amusing' too. No offence, but you stick with what you are happy doing and I'll stick with looking ahead.

Again, I invite you to rip my sig names apart, all hand regged in last 8 months.

:p

•••
Hello there! I've just joined this site. I joined especially for this topic, 3d domains!

Early in 2009 I registered 4 3D related domain names and want to know what you think, worth something, worth nothing???

I registered:
channel3d.co.uk,
3dfilmshop.com,
3dtelevisionshop.com,
3dbbc.com

I had them valued by godaddy and they said $80 for each of them despite being offered $5,000 for each of them earlier in the week! I don't know whether they are worth £1 or £200,000???

Some one help please!

Thanks in advance!!!

Richard :)

Hi,
welcome to the forum.

I am finding it hard to believe that you have been offered £5000 each for these. This is not a comment on the quality of your names, but maybe a little white lie here ? If it is a genuine offer, I would take it without hesitation.

I would think you may have Tm issues with 3D BBC, British Braodcasting corporation ?

The other 3 are nice names.
Good luck.

•••
Thanks for your reply!

After registering the 3dbbc.com one i did think of issues with TM but seamed a good idea at the time lol...

I'm keeping my eye out on auction sites for people with similar domains and seeing what they sell for, but it's such a slow process and some times takes a while to find similar ones.

Whether the $5,000 USD offer is genuin or not... It's hard to tell through just the emails I've had...

Richard

•••
Hello there! I've just joined this site. I joined especially for this topic, 3d domains!

Early in 2009 I registered 4 3D related domain names and want to know what you think, worth something, worth nothing???

I registered:
channel3d.co.uk,
3dfilmshop.com,
3dtelevisionshop.com,
3dbbc.com

I had them valued by godaddy and they said $80 for each of them despite being offered $5,000 for each of them earlier in the week! I don't know whether they are worth £1 or £200,000???

Some one help please!

Thanks in advance!!!

I agree, I find that hard to believe that you were offered that kind of money for these names, I would have taken the cash in a second. Did you bother folowing up on the emails to see if they were genuine.

Good luck

•••

I registered:
channel3d.co.uk,
3dfilmshop.com,
3dtelevisionshop.com,
3dbbc.com

Some one help please!

Thanks in advance!!!

Richard :)

I wouldn't expect much success on these. Good luck anyway!

•••
Thanks for your reply!

After registering the 3dbbc.com one i did think of issues with TM but seamed a good idea at the time lol...

I'm keeping my eye out on auction sites for people with similar domains and seeing what they sell for, but it's such a slow process and some times takes a while to find similar ones.

Whether the $5,000 USD offer is genuin or not... It's hard to tell through just the emails I've had...

Richard

Sounds like someone's fishing around for you to get an appraisal through their site.
That's the same number they use on a bunch of 'ice-breaking' emails.

They write to say are interested in your domain names... and then they usually voluntarily offer $5,000 for the name at the start (red flag)... and then they go on to explain how they don't mind paying the money for the name, but that they would feel more comfortable getting it appraised' from 'X' company first.

This is usually a templated email... you'll get more of them the more names you start to add - not just 3d related.

this is my guess anyway.

Good luck with your names and be careful of the angles.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back