IT.COM

sales Swetha’s Sales – The Truth May Shock You!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Digital Nomad

XNetwork.comTop Member
Impact
Here is a nice article posted on NameBio.com by Michael Sumner the CEO of NameBio.com. He asked for Swetha's aka @DNGear username and password to log into her Afternic account to confirm the sales once and for all, read it all below or go to https://namebio.com/blog/swethas-sales-the-truth-may-shock-you/

Swetha’s Sales – The Truth May Shock You!​

Yesterday there was quite the stir on Twitter after Swetha reported another batch of jaw-dropping .xyz sales. User @jackdomainer did some research and found that an overwhelming majority of her sales were still not developed, which he thought was suspicious given the price tags. Theories started flying around, and even the Castello Brothers and Rick Schwartz chimed in with vague statements alluding to some grand conspiracy.

Grab some popcorn and read it for yourself here:

The low rate of development was the only “proof” provided so far. But why report fake sales? Well isn’t it obvious? To boost the value of her own assets so she can dump them on unsuspecting wholesalers, hoping to reproduce her incredible success, for inflated prices.

But ask yourself this… how many times have you seen Swetha wholesaling premium .xyz domains? I may have missed it, but I don’t recall seeing that.

For years I’ve been in the awkward position of publishing these sales reports. All I can go on is a screenshot, which she graciously provided for every single sale report since the day she started sharing. But screenshots can be faked relatively easily.

I could ask her to share her screen with me while she logs in to a marketplace, but even that could be faked with browser extensions that modify the page live. It’s more difficult than faking a screenshot, but not impossible. Not good enough.

To get a definitive answer, I reached out to Swetha and asked for the unthinkable. I asked if she would give me her username and password to her Afternic account, so I could log in myself and verify all the sales she has ever reported at this marketplace.

I felt bad even asking. Here she is sharing her valuable sales data with the community, all while being given endless grief about it. And now some stranger is asking to log in to her Afternic account. A lesser person would have just said “fuck it”, stopped reporting sales, and told me to go away. But you know what… she agreed! It was at this moment I knew it was all true and factual, but still, I’m going to “due diligence” the heck out of this.

So I quickly logged in to her Afternic account and visited this URL to get a dump of all the raw sales data. Then I started taking screenshots of her sales summary page. I logged out and let her know I was done so she could change her password. Then I started diving in.

One by one I checked the sales against what we have in our database. Every single one of them was perfect. Except I discovered something shocking. Quite a few of the sales were never reported. However good you think she’s doing based on what she has reported, she’s actually doing even better. That’s insane!

Now remember, Swetha has been reporting sales for quite a while now. All this time, she had no idea I would ever ask her to log in to any of her accounts, or which one(s) I would ask for. So if she was going to fabricate sales, she would have no way of knowing to always keep Afternic clean, as opposed to DAN or Escrow.com or whatever. Thus I now feel 100% confident in all her reports, not just the Afternic ones.

I also now feel confident in saying that Swetha is probably in the Top 100 of all domain investors who have ever lived, and she is probably in the Top 5 of all investors who aren’t part of the “old guard”. Maybe even #1 of the new generation.

But more than that, she is a kindhearted individual who is generously sharing what is working for her even though it makes new acquisitions more expensive for her. And even when the haters show up in droves, she stays the course. Thank you Swetha.

Is it possible that she’s a shill for the registry, and they’re creating hundreds of accounts across multiple marketplaces to buy the domains from her? I mean anything is possible. But it seems highly improbable that they would lock up funds and trust that she would always give them back, just to create the appearance of demand. They don’t benefit from the wholesale aftermarket, so it would just be for the sake of hand regs.

And then how do you explain the ones that are developed? And how do you explain other people getting large XYZ sales? Believe what you want, and skepticism is generally a healthy thing, but this theory seems so out there and lacking in any evidence that I have to think anyone who believes it is jealous (or loves conspiracy theories more than Rob Monster).

Here is the full screenshot I took of her sales summary page, with unreported sales blacked out for her privacy. Again, I took this screenshot myself while personally logged in to her Afternic account, it was not shared with me. I saw it with my own eyes.

Check out the screenshot of Swetha's sales at: https://namebio.com/assets/swetha-sales.jpg

Source: https://namebio.com/blog/swethas-sales-the-truth-may-shock-you/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Amazing how Swetha went above and beyond to prove her sales are real even if she didn't have to. Kudos @DNGear !

•••
thx for the report;

IF some sales are faked, the question would be: How many?

For sure, there are (quite) many sales, in 5 digit sphere, that have not been faked...
and which' sites are developed and running.

We have to figure that out 100%, before judging.

I know this is much asked, but maybe swetha can ask some of the buyers, which sites are not developed, to step forward and explain, why they're not using their domains...

As I understood, this is the main argument of JackDomainer and others, to assume, that the sells are suspicious...

Last edited:
•••
Why all these unnecessary investigation on Swetha @DNGear alone. Can we dare do the same kind of investigation to other top Sellers in the industry? Enough is enough, let us believe her sales in total.
And thank you Michael Sumner for all these endeavors to clear the doubts in many minds.

Last edited:
•••
Why all these unnecessary investigation on Swetha @DNGear alone. Can we dare do the same kind of investigation to other top Sellers in the industry? Enough is enough, let us believe her sales in total.
And thank you Michael Sumner for all these endeavors to clear the doubts in many minds.
I agree, it has been overdone.

However, the main reason is the major statistical outlier.

I just took a look at NameBio and it shows (88) .XYZ sales over $10K in the last year.
63 of those listed are by Swetha.

That means over 71% of reported (5) figure .XYZ sales in the last year are reported by her.

I know she has a large portfolio or around 20K domains I think, but the .XYZ registry has around 4.7M total registrations.

This is a unique situation that has not really happened with other extensions.
It is a frequent discussion because of that.

Sales are clearly doing well for her.

However, if .XYZ is doing so well overall why are the sales not more spread out?
That is a reasonable question to ask.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I know this is much asked, but maybe swetha can ask some of the buyers, which sites are not developed, to step forward and explain, why they're not using their domains...

Few months ago I sold the domain name infinix(.)xyz, at Afternic.

The domain is undeveloped, nameservers are the same.

Can you please contact the buyer on my behalf, and ask him to come here and explain to you why his domain is not developed yet?

Thanks!

•••

Can you please contact the buyer on my behalf, and ask him to come here and explain to you why his domain is not developed yet?

Thanks!
Yeah, I have sold tons of domains that never get developed.
That is not some rare thing.

The concentration of sales is more interesting than the lack of development. That happens with many domain sales.

Brad

•••

Thanks!
Listen,

I solely said this, because the MAIN argument for those, that do claims, is exactly that:
Undeveloped site, for this price?

That's not my opinion and I do NOT advocate for anything.

Leave me out of this.

Last edited:
•••
@bmugford

What would the % of her sales need to be for .xyz sales to be considered spread out?

•••
I agree with you - this is bashing of her integrity. Swetha deserves to receive the recognition like the other big players in this industry - maybe even more. She is reporting those sales. Other big players are not and have left namepros long ago and are calling namepros members a lot of negative and bad words.
Kudos to Swetha @DNGear - long live the Domain Queen!

Last edited:
•••
@bmugford

What would the % of her sales need to be for .xyz sales to be considered spread out?
That is highly subjective, but she has 63/88 reported (5) figure .XYZ sales in that last year.

When you own around 20,000 domains out of 4,700,000 registrations, that is a pretty incredible ratio.

I have never seen anything close to that ratio in any other major extension.

I think .XYZ introducing premium registration and/or renewals likely does play some factor as well.
As far as I know almost all, if not all, of her domains have standard renewal fees which helps.

It is possible there would be more high dollar sales if they were not dragged down by registry premium fees.
It really impacts resale value.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Respect to @DNGear for agreeing to such a thing, to further prove to that thin percentage of a**holes that she does good business. Judging her extensive XYZ portfolio (with low renewal), which people tend to mention, it becomes a numbers game, regarding the impressive sales that shine through. There may be an element of truth to that / owning the niche, but I don't think the full story. From the interactions and comments I've seen from her in the forum, I can say with some confidence that she's a savvy investor anyway. Whether it be domains or other things she does, she has a good grip on what she's doing. Credit to her

Last edited:
•••
That is highly subjective, but she has 63/88 reported (5) figure .XYZ sales in that last year.

When you own around 20,000 domains out of 4,700,000 registrations, that is a pretty incredible ratio.

I have never seen anything close to that ratio in any other major extension.

Brad
The english dictionary has about 250,000 one words. How many of them are marketable? 10% 20% 30% ?
Take into consideration that the old school .com investors are not reporting any .xyz sales. The majority of them have invested in .xyz. You can go now on Media Options webpage and count how many .xyz domains are for sale there.

Last edited:
•••
@bmugford

Which other extension has hype in a high value industry like crypto/web3 and has one person who holds 20K+ great single keyword domains, prices their domains high and reports their sales? It is only an outlier because there is no other comparison for all these things coming together like they did.

4,700,000 xyz registrations isn't a very useful number until you can know or estimate how many high quality names are there that could sell for 5 figures or more. Not to mention of those high quality names you have to know if they listed for sale, where, for how long, whether they have high premium renewal fee and other important variables.

•••
I hadn't heard of Swetha before, but I have heard talk of @DNGear . I have no doubts about her sales, because more than 3 years ago I also resold a word XYZ for no reason, very inexplicably, which has not been developed so far.
On the contrary, I have doubts about XYZ's appreciation in two years, because appreciation in a short period of time can be achieved by a registrar operation, if the operating capital is large enough, it's like a Ponzi scheme that will never be discovered if people keep joining later and taking over.

Last edited:
•••
The english dictionary has about 250,000 one words. How many of them are marketable? 10% 20% 30% ?
Take in consideration that the old school .com investors are not reporting any .xyz sales. The majority of them have invested in .xyz. You can go now on Media Options webpage and count how many .xyz domains are for sale there.
The same could be said with any other extension.

All we can go by are the numbers which are reported. Unreported sales exist in every extension.

Why would .XYZ be more underreported than any other extension?

Brad

•••
The same could be said with any other extension.

All we can go by are the numbers which are reported. Unreported sales exist in every extension.

Why would .XYZ be more underreported than any other extension?

Brad
Because the old school .com investors don't want the recognition of .xyz - that is why!

•••
Why digging into someone else business?
I don't really care who sell what. All I care is what I can sell.
Too much time wasting on this topic already.
Give her a break!

•••
Because the old school .com investors don't want the recognition of .xyz - that is why!
So, it has to be a conspiracy that more .XYZ sales are not reported? :ROFL:

I have sold many .COM over the years and many more NET/ORG/US and other extensions.

Hardly any of those sales are reported.

I would assume the vast majority of sales in most extensions are not reported, but I don't see why there would be any more underreported .XYZ than any other extension on average.

That just doesn't make much logical sense.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Why digging into someone else business?
I don't really care who sell what. All I care is what I can sell.
Too much time wasting on this topic already.
Give her a break!
Feel the same. I wouldn't like this level of scrutiny

•••
So, it has to be a conspiracy that more .XYZ sales are not reported? :ROFL:

I have sold many .COM over the years and many more NET/ORG/US and other extensions.

Hardly any of those sales are reported.

I would assume the vast majority of sales in most extensions are not reported, but I don't see why there would be any more underreported .XYZ than any other extensions.

That just doesn't make much logical sense.

Brad
Ok - if we would like to compare the reported sales ratio we should count all .com registered domains and all .xyz registered domains and get the reporting ratio for the last 2 years. Maybe we would be surprised. Afternic and DAN are not reporting to namebio for a long time now.

The last newsletter of Media Options I got for Thanksgiving - out of 32 offered domais 7 were .xyz - that is more than 21%. This is a very high ratio - why is that?

Last edited:
•••
•••
result than only
Good questions and I agree with this smart ideas.

•••
It's either Swetha is a front for a massive portfolio of domains that would fake sales (sort of unlikely given the number of premiums) or Swetha is a power broker with incredible foresight, wit and patience.

I've said since the beginning of the XYZ boom that for most domainers these results aren't realistic, and that a handful of "power brokers" are pulling in most these top sales. It seems to be the case, but many regular domainers have certainly benefited from all their hard work.

I'd also like to add, that it sort of makes sense that many of these domains are left undeveloped since much of the new investors entering xyz domains are from a crypto background with less web development experience. There is quite a bit of overlap with crypto and domains though.

Congrats (y)

Last edited:
•••
Amazing how Swetha went above and beyond to prove her sales are real even if she didn't have to. Kudos @DNGear !
Congrats Swetha! You are the real deal, thanks for giving us so much transparency, may all the hate you get be more fuel to be even more successful! CHEERS! Bless you!
Agree. Swetha if you are reading this do yourself a favour, don't report any of your sales, you don’t get any better thought of because of it.

The more successful someone is you will always get people (out of jealously or other reasons) who will try to undermine your achievements and blacken your name (identity), it's not worth it.

Operate under the radar, make money for yourself/family, you don’t have to prove anything to anyone.

Last edited:
•••
Back