IT.COM

question Success of companies using dot org

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xn--v4h.com

Emoji domains at Punycode.comEstablished Member
Impact
I can only think of Craigslist.org as a for-profit company using dot org. What are your thoughts about companies using dot org?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've just blocked their emails in my anti-spam campaign. Hotmail and orgs are the spammers of the day today.

•••
Many non-profit are using .org domain extensions and some of them also own the dot com.

•••
I've just blocked their emails in my anti-spam campaign. Hotmail and orgs are the spammers of the day today.
Wow really surprised to hear that dot orgs are spammers.

•••
Wow really surprised to hear that dot orgs are spammers.
most of them aren't, but the low price regs attracted the spammers. plus I feel they may want reduced prices because they purport to be non-profit.

•••
most of them aren't, but the low price regs attracted the spammers. plus I feel they may want reduced prices because they purport to be non-profit.
I always felt early on that dot coms were always the spammers but they've gotten so expensive, spamming seems to have dribbled down to dot net and dot org!

•••
I can only think of Craigslist.org as a for-profit company using dot org.

Top .ORGs (Not all are for-profit)

Wikipedia.org
4chan.org
ThePirateBay.org
Mozilla.org
Archive.org
Telegram.org
NRP.org
BitBucket.org
Corsera.org
KhanAcademy.org
NavyFederal.org (They own the .com, but redirect it to the .org)

•••
Every TLD gets abused by spammers and craigslist is full of spammers but just cuz CL is on a .org domain doesn't mean .org and spamming are the order of the day.

I see many companies (for and not for profit) use and pay some decent money to acquire their .org domains. Sometimes it's a great option for them when the .com is too expensive and/or they don't feel comfortable with country code or un-established gTLD. It is one of the most established domains and also works well for small business who don't need to spend the big money on the .com. Pretty much everyone now knows .org is not restricted so it has become a widely adopted TLD.

Last edited:
•••

Wikipedia.org
4chan.org
ThePirateBay.org
Mozilla.org
Archive.org
Telegram.org
NRP.org
BitBucket.org
Corsera.org
KhanAcademy.org

*Coursera.org (also own .com which redirect to .org)

Last edited:
•••

Wikipedia.org
4chan.org
ThePirateBay.org
Mozilla.org
Archive.org
Telegram.org
NRP.org
BitBucket.org
Corsera.org
KhanAcademy.org

Wikipedia.org
4chan.org
ThePirateBay.org
Mozilla.org
Archive.org
Telegram.org
NRP.org
BitBucket.org
Corsera.org
KhanAcademy.org

I think you meant NPR.org :xf.wink:

•••
I always felt early on that dot coms were always the spammers but they've gotten so expensive, spamming seems to have dribbled down to dot net and dot org!
I don't know but .org is far from cheap to register and renew. Would be interested for some cheap registration options for .org!

•••
Do I miss some great registration and renewal deals for .org?

•••
I was going to say the same, .orgs (outside of rare discounts) are not cheap. Only 2 reasons I can think of that they might attract spammers is availability of phrase and the impression of non profit.

•••
•••
Jurgen, nicely done, we need a Badness Index for global politician spam (lies)..

Last edited:
•••
I see regular 4- and 5-figure sales of .ORG in DNJournal etc.
So I really don't understand: what purpose of this thread...

•••
Yeah, .org was relatively ignored for some time but that is no longer the case. Buy when something of value is "too hated" and sell when something of value is "too loved".

Last edited:
•••
I don't know but .org is far from cheap to register and renew. Would be interested for some cheap registration options for .org!
I think you're right they are a little more expensive but not much more. Now I can see if you're dealing with thousands of domains, it all adds up.

•••
https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/
Badness Index as of today (less is better):
.PRO 0.34
.org 0.78
.com 1.06
.net 1.66
.info 1.98
.biz 3.67
I have some reserve on the data collected with these. For example:
com = 8.1% bad (score 1.05) - that looks about right but then...
accountants = 1.9% bad (score 0.02) - looks right ...
accountant = 25.9% bad (score 2.02) - oops

•••
Yeah, .org was relatively ignored for some time but that is no longer the case. Buy when something of value is "too hated" and sell when something of value is "too loved".
I agree. I picked up resins.org and to me that's a great name for a major industry. Granted it wasn't exactly cheap but it wasn't astronomical like a dot com.

•••
I see regular 4- and 5-figure sales of .ORG in DNJournal etc.
So I really don't understand: what purpose of this thread...
Well that's the very purpose of this thread. What do YOU think is going on there?

•••
I see this for many years... since I have started my own domaining...
So nothing new is going for .ORG

•••

what low price regs?

•••
Many non-profit are using .org domain extensions and some of them also own the dot com.
CardiacMessage.org/ .net/ .com
These are very useful medical terms.

•••
traditionally .org has been considered one of the more trustworthy tlds. The extension is also considered to fit very well with keywords related to health and education.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back