Domain Empire

The Rise of dot-ORG

Spaceship
Watch
Several weeks ago, I read in Yahoo Finance that Indian Companies where buying up dot-Org. The rational behind this buying trend according to the writer is that business executive feels that customers are having difficulties trusting companies with dot-com attached (because of the last dotcom bubble). Traditionally, nonprofit organizations are often view as reliable, caring and customers focus.

Any thoughts

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Most legit sites are .com and most scam sites are .com . I think that trend's going to continue.

.ORG is good for spammers, as it doesn't attract as much attention.

•••
edwinfelix said:
Most legit sites are .com and most scam sites are .com . I think that trend's going to continue.

.ORG is good for spammers, as it doesn't attract as much attention.

I agree, but I thought the story was worth sharing

•••
Thanks for the post. Helpful information; hoewver, until I see some higher purchase prices, it is hard to think .orgs will ever be on par with .coms.

•••
fonzie_007 said:
Thanks for the post. Helpful information; hoewver, until I see some higher purchase prices, it is hard to think .orgs will ever be on par with .coms.
I sold a domain (faith......somthing.org) in 1999 to a faith-based organization for $1000. However, I used the domain was in conection to a nonprofit organization for few years

•••
NamingJournal.com said:
Traditionally, nonprofit organizations are often view as reliable, caring and customers focus.

Well most people around me believes that non-profit organizations were scandals :alien: But I personally trust these sources.

I've always favoured .org higher than anything except for .com and .net. But I realized out of all the website that I know of probably less than 5% has TLD of .org

•••
i think the reason behind buying those .orgs are to reserve all the good names and then sell it ... because i highly doubt it if there are that many non-profitable organizations in india :)

•••
For some strange reason, .ORGs seem to be getting type-in traffic.

•••
NamingJournal.com said:
Several weeks ago, I read in Yahoo Finance that Indian Companies where buying up dot-Org. The rational behind this buying trend according to the writer is that business executive feels that customers are having difficulties trusting companies with dot-com attached (because of the last dotcom bubble). Traditionally, nonprofit organizations are often view as reliable, caring and customers focus.

Any thoughts

pretty hard to see the logic, would you trust a for profit company that wants to look like it is a charity?

•••
NamingJournal.com said:

Any thoughts

Iam indian too ............. I regged like 7 .org domains. I dunno why here we prefer .org and .info!

.org was free for sometime in the middle for us and then its paid again but cheap as .info . So sales has gone up i guess. Its like 2.5$ here

Untitled

•••
Untitled said:
Iam indian too ............. I regged like 7 .org domains. I dunno why here we prefer .org and .info!
.org was free for sometime in the middle for us and then its paid again but cheap as .info . So sales has gone up i guess. Its like 2.5$ here
Untitled

Where exactly is it? I live in India too..
:wave:

•••
holeinone said:
Where exactly is it? I live in India too..
:wave:

Well its a place in chennai.......... Each .org is only 100 rs. There is an office here in chennai..........
I go there and register
And nice to meet you :)

Untitled

•••
Wow chennai, Vazhga Tamizhagam.... Enga andha edam....

•••
always been a fan of the .org

They should sacred for good things... even thought there are HUGe profits in the non profit sector.

somebody should make site about abuse of .orgs

•••
There is a big abuse of .orgs, however, the same argument could be made on every other domain extension.

•••
Do businesses still buy dot org, thought I ask

•••
Untitled said:
Well its a place in chennai.......... Each .org is only 100 rs. There is an office here in chennai..........
I go there and register
And nice to meet you :)

Untitled

Exactly. I told everyone that a registrar doesn't have to have a website in my other thread. That is what I call a private registrar.

•••
Are there information/data available on dot org sells. I am also looking for good articles on dot org sell

•••
Perhaps the only reason indian companies are stockpiling up .orgs is that they are FREE??

•••
the ORG part of the dot-org stands for an "Organization". It is only domainers and savvy internet surfers who know that dot-orgs are supposedly meant for *non-profit* orgs. It can as well be marketed as THE extension for any organization, profit or non-profit......

NET on the other hand does have an "internet services" kind of feel to it, so it isnt all that appropriate for lets say a garment manufacturing business who wishes to have an online presence. for such an org, dotorg would be second only to dotcom.

•••
I have a fair few dictionary .org domains with reasonably high OVT. I see the development of them as informational websites (with the inclusion of adsense etc, of course), rather than sites trying to sell you something.

To me the .info domain is the poor man's .org, but then I don't think much of .info ...

•••
.org have been used by spammers and i have got many spam emails from .org somains, or what it seems so. Personally i dont think this idea is going to be huge. Maybe some buyer let slip the idea onpurpose to attract attention so that the value of their names go up and they can profit from it ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back