Dynadot

advice Spent more than $500 on hand-regs, need some direction please.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi, I'm a designer / web developer new to the domain buying scene. I like the fact that when I buy a cool domain name, there's potential I can develop a website on it myself.

But recently I spent a lot of money on domaining... so I would appreciate if you have some advice or direction for me; or maybe I should just quit domaining because of how bad the regs are?

Also what should I do with keyword domains as Brandbucket doesn't seem to like these.

4xAA.com (keyword)
AceGT.com (brandable)
AgenciesList.com (keyword, will develop this)
AiBoots.com (keyword - nonexistant yet)
Aihance.com (brandable, I like this a lot because of Behance (big site) )
Aitasy.com (brandable)
Brandacular.com (brandable)
BuyHealing.com (keyword)
ClubState.com (brandable)
ColorBackground.com (keyword)
ColorsMeaning.com (keyword)
DanceJumps.com (keyword)
Digery.com (brandable)
Digitalry.com (brandable)
DopamineFunction.com (keyword)
Droneri.com (brandable)
Dronier.com (brandable)
Expertoid.com (brandable)
FeetInches.com (keyword)
FreeAds.io (keyword, will develop this)
Fundega.com (brandable)
GirlOffers.com (keyword)
GuruSonic.com (brandable)
HipsterWallpaper.com (keyword)
HoloShack.com (brandable)
InvestBliss.com (brandable)
KittyStudios.com (brandable)
KpopArtists.com (keyword, developed website)
Limo.kr (keyword)
NorseGoddess.com (keyword + brandable)
MusicPuns.com (keyword)
MusicToSleep.com (keyword, developed website)
Profithance.com (brandable)
ProfitSonic.com (brandable)
RealtorSalary.com (keyword, illegal copyright?)
RoyalOpen.com (brandable, Listed on BrandBucket! http://brandbucket.com/royalopen )
SexWithBoss.com (keyword)
SkillJolt.com (brandable)
SnapXr.com (brandable)
Staresque.com (brandable)
ThePerfectArt.com (brandable)
Upezy.com (brandable)
VeganAlfredo.com (keyword)
VeganFlan.com (keyword)
VeganMeatballs.com (keyword)
VeganSwan.com (brandable)
VegetarianCurry.com (keyword)
YouCosplay.com (brandable)
YouCrystal.com (brandable)
Zenasy.com (brandable)
ZenJolt.com (brandable)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Based on your first outbound sales attempt and your defensive attitude, I expect you'll spend another $500 before you get a clue.

Defensive attitude to you saying I wasted $500? lol you must be a fortune teller in that case.

•••
This is what all beginners think: just need to sell one domain and they recoup their investment, and even make a profit. In practice, the majority of domainers are still losing money.
It's not that easy.

Well what can I say, I don't like gambling but I'm willing to take an educated gamble on virtual investment. Hopefully it pays off. 3 of them are approved on Namerific / brandbucket but I saw the chance of sale there is like 10% as well.

Last edited:
•••
This week I spent a little more ($680) on expired domains:

ztransfer (dotcom)
screenwear (dotcom)

•••
This week I spent a little more ($680) on expired domains:

ztransfer (dotcom)
screenwear (dotcom)

I don't see why you spent that much... Is it for backlinks or domain age, etc?

Screen wear has practically no monthly search volume in google...

Ztransfer is decent though, but shouldnt be too off that price you paid.

•••
I don't see why you spent that much?

Screen wear has practically no monthly search volume in google...

Ztransfer is decent though, but shouldnt be too off that price you paid.

Both names are brandables with inferences. Monthly search volume for these is irrelevant. Generally I dislike exact match names though I have a killer one coming to me soon.

I paid marginally more than the underbidder (wholesale market rate)

They are domain assets which I can sit on or auction later.

Anyway, point is this is what this NamePro spent a similar amount of money on this week so you have a comparable.

Last edited:
•••
I see but what would your monitor or screen want to wear? I really don't see the concept here as a business idea lol... Maybe Screen Protectors but that's something else

Last edited:
•••
I see but what would your monitor or screen want to wear? I really don't see the concept here as a business idea lol
Wearable tech/ VR. Don't care much, 2 syllable futuristic, cute brand

•••
Now I see, good buy in that case. I'd much prefer HoloWear though... screen sounds a bit... hard on the edges.

•••
•••
•••
They are domain assets which I can sit on or auction later.
Somebody needs to do a thorough write-up on the difference between buying a domain and understanding that good ones are assets that rarely lose value.

•••
I liked ClubState // dot com on this list.

I would make use of namebio. Key in every word in a domain into namebio and see how you feel about the domain.

Let's take a look at ZenJolt.

Zen - anywhere in the domain = 614 sales, average $1607
Zen - at the start = 221 sales, average $1215

Not bad.

Let's take a look at jolt.

Jolt - anywhere in the domain = 5 total sales, average $204

===
We're gambling people here. Jolt makes this a risky enough bet. It would have a chance - but there are better bets out there. Remember to clear for trademarks as well.

•••
I liked ClubState // dot com on this list.

I would make use of namebio. Key in every word in a domain into namebio and see how you feel about the domain.

Let's take a look at ZenJolt.

Zen - anywhere in the domain = 614 sales, average $1607
Zen - at the start = 221 sales, average $1215

Not bad.

Let's take a look at jolt.

Jolt - anywhere in the domain = 5 total sales, average $204

===
We're gambling people here. Jolt makes this a risky enough bet. It would have a chance - but there are better bets out there. Remember to clear for trademarks as well.

Thanks! I just realised the use of namebio for keywords very recently. I guess it doesn't show all sales but it gives a good estimate at the average popularity.

I liked ZenJolt because it's a short and catchy although Jolt isn't very Zen. But a way to think about it is that you can get your daily Zen needs very quickly (jolt can be represented as a lightning bolt).

I submitted ClubState to brandbucket and namerific and it got declined on both so I'm guessing it's not a great brand for them. I got it because it could be a club listing directory or another meaning the state of club so what's trending in music. Why do you like it in particular?

•••
Hi cixxy,

I think this thread proves that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find it somewhat amusing that there have already been a bunch of posts along the lines of: "they are rubbish, you have lost all your money... But I like xxx.com". I haven't counted them exactly but I think there have already been about 6 - 8 domains that people 'like'. So, let's cut to the chase...

Yeah, there's a bunch of crap there which you should drop. But this is definitely nowhere near the worst list of hand reg's I've seen. From your list of 51 there are certainly 5 - 10 that might sell. Over the next 6 months you need to look rationally at some of these names and decide which to get rid of. Throw them on auction here on NamePros and you won't lose all your money. AceGT you might get $4 - $5 simply because it's a 5L brandable. That' better than losing the $10 you paid. Personally I would get rid of a bunch of other stuff like ColorBackground, VeganAlfredo and a bunch of others. Auction them on NP with 10 months reg left and you'll get a couple of dollars with any luck. Ones to keep include HoloShack, InvestBliss, RoyalOpen.

Most of us have learned that 'loving' a domain is not reason enough to own it. KittyStudios should be dropped IMHO. Auction it - you'll likely get $2 on NP. The problem is that it either relies on someone calling their business exactly that (and wanting your domain) or it relies on some kitten lover picking it up as a brandable. The likelihood is extremely slim.

Look back at this list in 12 months time and you should be amazed (i.e. horrified) at a few of the names you registered. But on the other hand there are a couple that have absolute definite potential to sell and that's a good thing. All part of the learning curve.

•••
UPDATE:

Bought some more domains:

Investacular.com : Really solid wordplay imo...

Lamb.biz
: 14 years 6 months old. Looks like the previous owners had trouble to sell it by the look of Wayback machine. I guess I can do some outbound sales to lamb businesses for this.

Sydney.tel : 9 years 4 months, for my own city, but hard to sell... I guess it was an impulsive buy. I got this before I started the thread just forgot to add it.

AgencyZilla.com :

Because I think a brandable name for agency listing might be better than the keyword domain I got earlier - AgenciesList.com... (When you google Agencies List, mostly gov agencies come up).

I was thinking about going for AgencyOcean or AgencyGet or AgencyDir or AgencyStorm all of which are available but Zilla sounds the most trustworthy and easy to use to me, what does everyone else think?

Hi cixxy,

I think this thread proves that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find it somewhat amusing that there have already been a bunch of posts along the lines of: "they are rubbish, you have lost all your money... But I like xxx.com". I haven't counted them exactly but I think there have already been about 6 - 8 domains that people 'like'. So, let's cut to the chase...

Yeah, there's a bunch of crap there which you should drop. But this is definitely nowhere near the worst list of hand reg's I've seen. From your list of 51 there are certainly 5 - 10 that might sell. Over the next 6 months you need to look rationally at some of these names and decide which to get rid of. Throw them on auction here on NamePros and you won't lose all your money. AceGT you might get $4 - $5 simply because it's a 5L brandable. That' better than losing the $10 you paid. Personally I would get rid of a bunch of other stuff like ColorBackground, VeganAlfredo and a bunch of others. Auction them on NP with 10 months reg left and you'll get a couple of dollars with any luck. Ones to keep include HoloShack, InvestBliss, RoyalOpen.

Most of us have learned that 'loving' a domain is not reason enough to own it. KittyStudios should be dropped IMHO. Auction it - you'll likely get $2 on NP. The problem is that it either relies on someone calling their business exactly that (and wanting your domain) or it relies on some kitten lover picking it up as a brandable. The likelihood is extremely slim.

Look back at this list in 12 months time and you should be amazed (i.e. horrified) at a few of the names you registered. But on the other hand there are a couple that have absolute definite potential to sell and that's a good thing. All part of the learning curve.

Very realistic post, and useful advice, many thanks brother. You're completely right that some people's opinions are skewed towards a few domains whereas others think all are trash.

I'd rather let the name expire than sell it for $4-5 though hahaha.

Color Background gets 1600 searches / month in the USA alone according to SearchVolume.io and Vegan Alfredo gets 1000; so estibot values them around the $300-600 mark. If anything I can try to make websites on them and try to get the organic traffic, although I think it's not easy nowadays anymore just to rely on the .com name for the SEO...right?

I like KittyStudios myself so i bought it. Might just use it myself if I can't sell it. But great point though.

And HoloShack, InvestBliss, RoyalOpen are definitely among my favorites in the list.

Last edited:
•••
I'd rather let the name expire than sell it for $4-5 though hahaha.
Fair enough. Just make sure you do let a bunch drop - don't renew them all or you're throwing good money after bad.

Color Background gets 1600 searches / month in the USA alone according to SearchVolume.io and Vegan Alfredo gets 1000; so estibot values them around the $300-600 mark. If anything I can try to make websites on them and try to get the organic traffic, although I think it's not easy nowadays anymore just to rely on the .com name for the SEO...right?
Yeah, I think you need to understand/consider the difference between a domain for re-sale and a domain for development. There is no value in these domains for re-sale. But sure - if you're going to develop these into sites, they have value. But in that case the value is in the content not the domain. Everyone knows that content is king in SEO. So the domain name matters less than the content. Consider your domain ColorsMeaning.com. I have personally looked up the meanings of certain colours at times - the content on the site was important to me and of course Google did its job on finding me that content. It didn't matter much what the domain name was. Of course if I wanted to build a site with this content then your domain name would be decent and may slightly aid SEO. But in terms of reselling that domain name think about the tiny number of people who are your market. VeganAlfredo might be a handy little niche since Vegan is big these days. But again, the resale possibilities for the domain are tiny. The content for a niche like that is where it's at. If you are definitely going to develop a site on it keep it, otherwise drop it. But as @MetBob has mentioned there are only so many sites you can develop/maintain. Once again - distinguish the difference between names for re-sale and names for dev. Then work out which you definitely have the time to develop.

•••
Fair enough. Just make sure you do let a bunch drop - don't renew them all or you're throwing good money after bad.

Yeah, I think you need to understand/consider the difference between a domain for re-sale and a domain for development. There is no value in these domains for re-sale. But sure - if you're going to develop these into sites, they have value. But in that case the value is in the content not the domain. Everyone knows that content is king in SEO. So the domain name matters less than the content. Consider your domain ColorsMeaning.com. I have personally looked up the meanings of certain colours at times - the content on the site was important to me and of course Google did its job on finding me that content. It didn't matter much what the domain name was. Of course if I wanted to build a site with this content then your domain name would be decent and may slightly aid SEO. But in terms of reselling that domain name think about the tiny number of people who are your market. VeganAlfredo might be a handy little niche since Vegan is big these days. But again, the resale possibilities for the domain are tiny. The content for a niche like that is where it's at. If you are definitely going to develop a site on it keep it, otherwise drop it. But as @MetBob has mentioned there are only so many sites you can develop/maintain. Once again - distinguish the difference between names for re-sale and names for dev. Then work out which you definitely have the time to develop.

Cool, got it. I didn't make it very clear that I did in fact buy some of them as a potential to make random businesses or small tools on.

Do you think hiring some indian to SEO it (~$8 an hour for $100-200 a month) would be worthwhile to give these sites a boost in terms of getting it to the top results then I can sell the site off, if it's getting too hard to maintain? I haven't done such things before so hopefully someone has and can advise me if it's a good idea. Or I guess I can write some articles on it myself (as I'm vegan myself but not a chef).

For ColorBackground it was going to be a tool that makes your whole screen into a certain color and you can get the Hex values so a tool for developers. Colors Meaning could be a similar little tool that gives people value.

Last edited:
•••
More update, pretty good ratio so far at Namerific.

Namerific:
  • Accepted Earnzap.com ; so I registered it.
  • Accepted Investacular.com ! I knew it was a good name.
  • Declined Droneti.com & Fundaga.com, lucky didnt get this
  • Declined Droneri.com & Fundega.com :( Maybe I should try other places; will just submit for approval before buying madeup domains now.
RiwdWLf.png

Let me know if those are set at good prices, hopefully I can adjust the prices later.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, I can't comment on hiring an Upworker or similar for SEO as I haven't done it. But before you think about that you need to decide which sites you can actually develop anyway.
Generally speaking those prices look OK to me for a starting point. But I haven't used Namerific myself so don't know how they compare to other similar stuff on the same platform. That's something you should research a bit by entering some of the key suffixes/prefixes into their search engine so you can compare similar names.

•••
Ok cool will do. I'll wait for others if anyone else has experience buying SEO services or read other places.

I just got a pretty good name ExclaimDesign.com ~20 year old (made in 1998) domain off ExpiredDomains. Excited for the possibilities since I'm a designer and Exclaim (!) is very brandable: bold and relevant to the design industry.

•••
Registered a bunch more of 14-17 year old domains

• Academic.biz
  • Rash.biz
  • SoftwareDevelop.net
  • BuyMSG.com

Last edited:
•••
•••
You are just burning money ablaze. Buying .tel domains doesn't make sense, and if in doubt study the market, analyze reported sales. Look at what sells, then you'll know what to buy.
Namerific et al are not your saviors. But apparently you need to learn the hard way :(

•••
Lamb.biz : 14 years 6 months old. Looks like the previous owners had trouble to sell it by the look of Wayback machine. I guess I can do some outbound sales to lamb businesses for this.

Sydney.tel : 9 years 4 months, for my own city, but hard to sell... I guess it was an impulsive buy. I got this before I started the thread just forgot to add it.

AgencyZilla.com :

Academic.biz

Rash.biz

SoftwareDevelop.net

BuyMSG.com

Somebody needs to hide your credit card. Seriously, these are awful.

Last edited:
•••
Hi cixxy,

KittyStudios is a glorious brandable for any woman having the guts to use it. It's fun and memorable. Good for anything creative.
Young woman, looking for a cheerful name, creative industry.
I wouldn't drop it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back