Dynadot

advice Spent more than $500 on hand-regs, need some direction please.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi, I'm a designer / web developer new to the domain buying scene. I like the fact that when I buy a cool domain name, there's potential I can develop a website on it myself.

But recently I spent a lot of money on domaining... so I would appreciate if you have some advice or direction for me; or maybe I should just quit domaining because of how bad the regs are?

Also what should I do with keyword domains as Brandbucket doesn't seem to like these.

4xAA.com (keyword)
AceGT.com (brandable)
AgenciesList.com (keyword, will develop this)
AiBoots.com (keyword - nonexistant yet)
Aihance.com (brandable, I like this a lot because of Behance (big site) )
Aitasy.com (brandable)
Brandacular.com (brandable)
BuyHealing.com (keyword)
ClubState.com (brandable)
ColorBackground.com (keyword)
ColorsMeaning.com (keyword)
DanceJumps.com (keyword)
Digery.com (brandable)
Digitalry.com (brandable)
DopamineFunction.com (keyword)
Droneri.com (brandable)
Dronier.com (brandable)
Expertoid.com (brandable)
FeetInches.com (keyword)
FreeAds.io (keyword, will develop this)
Fundega.com (brandable)
GirlOffers.com (keyword)
GuruSonic.com (brandable)
HipsterWallpaper.com (keyword)
HoloShack.com (brandable)
InvestBliss.com (brandable)
KittyStudios.com (brandable)
KpopArtists.com (keyword, developed website)
Limo.kr (keyword)
NorseGoddess.com (keyword + brandable)
MusicPuns.com (keyword)
MusicToSleep.com (keyword, developed website)
Profithance.com (brandable)
ProfitSonic.com (brandable)
RealtorSalary.com (keyword, illegal copyright?)
RoyalOpen.com (brandable, Listed on BrandBucket! http://brandbucket.com/royalopen )
SexWithBoss.com (keyword)
SkillJolt.com (brandable)
SnapXr.com (brandable)
Staresque.com (brandable)
ThePerfectArt.com (brandable)
Upezy.com (brandable)
VeganAlfredo.com (keyword)
VeganFlan.com (keyword)
VeganMeatballs.com (keyword)
VeganSwan.com (brandable)
VegetarianCurry.com (keyword)
YouCosplay.com (brandable)
YouCrystal.com (brandable)
Zenasy.com (brandable)
ZenJolt.com (brandable)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks! I just realised the use of namebio for keywords very recently. I guess it doesn't show all sales but it gives a good estimate at the average popularity.

I liked ZenJolt because it's a short and catchy although Jolt isn't very Zen. But a way to think about it is that you can get your daily Zen needs very quickly (jolt can be represented as a lightning bolt).

I submitted ClubState to brandbucket and namerific and it got declined on both so I'm guessing it's not a great brand for them. I got it because it could be a club listing directory or another meaning the state of club so what's trending in music. Why do you like it in particular?

I like the context of the words "club" and "state" together. I have a bit of a weakness for the word "state" for some reason. Also, it's only two syllables which is great. There are so many nightclubs, this would have a great chance of selling at small business price level. Personally, I'd even be tempted to price higher (for a while anyway).

I wouldn't worry too much about a domain being rejected by a brandable marketplace. It's just an opinion based on certain things they are looking for, it doesn't mean it's not a great domain.

•••
Well i think I’ll stop now until something sells and just develop the sites for the time being. It’s getting addictive I guess.

Lamb.biz
Rash.biz
Academic.biz

Is outbound the best bet for these?

•••
•••
Who do you feel is a potential customer for this domain ?

Well kinda self explanatory aren’t they?

Rash.biz would be a doctor or medical business
Academic.biz is education
Lamb.biz is meat industry even tho I’m vegan, rip.

They were only $5 a reg and are really old domains so idk it was a bit too good to pass up when I saw it. The biz domains on name bio generally do pretty good and I think these can go for $600 at least to the right buyer. Trouble is finding them so I guess I should send emails.

Worst case I’ll develop these and try to make some blogs on them.

Last edited:
•••
Well kinda self explanatory aren’t they?

Rash.biz would be a doctor or medical business
Wow. NO !.

Seriously, a doctor is not going to get a domain like that.

Last edited:
•••
•••
You’re in the business of treating rashes, what’s wrong?
There is no such thing as "the business of treating rashes".

Look, you seem like a very nice person, but you really need to spend more time reading domaining discussions before you buy more domains.

•••
I know you're excited but millions of superior domain names remain unsold to this day. Everybody wants to sell, but buyers are few and far between.
It's already hard enough to sell good .com. What you're building is not a portfolio but a collection.
Buy less, buy better.

•••
Many fall into the trap of applying a use case to a domain name instead of inverting and asking, "if I was a X business, what sort of domain would I pay real money for to increase sales/ brand awareness etc"

•••
Less is usually more in the case of domains

•••
Buy less, buy better.
Yes I'm going that direction now but noted. I'll just stop unless I see a really good one on expired domains since I heard the sale for brandbucket rate is a bit low as well and might need to hold on to them for years.

Many fall into the trap of applying a use case to a domain name instead of inverting and asking, "if I was a X business, what sort of domain would I pay real money for to increase sales/ brand awareness etc"

There is no such thing as "the business of treating rashes".

Look, you seem like a very nice person, but you really need to spend more time reading domaining discussions before you buy more domains.

I'll be honest, it was doubtful when I saw Rash.biz as well but I thought of the positives to it, and if I can't sell it to doctors / medical I can develop a blog on it with different ways to treat rashes.
  • dictionary word
  • 4 letters
  • .biz which is a solid top level domain.
I better start developing shit now, got a lot to do haha.

Last edited:
•••
KittyStudios is a glorious brandable for any woman having the guts to use it. It's fun and memorable. Good for anything creative.
Young woman, looking for a cheerful name, creative industry.
I wouldn't drop it.

Btw guys like me adore kitties, I don't think it's a gender thing xD But I guess it would be better with a feminine website design.

•••
Yes I'm going that direction now but noted. I'll just stop unless I see a really good one on expired domains since I heard the sale for brandbucket rate is a bit low as well and might need to hold on to them for years.

I'll be honest, it was doubtful when I saw Rash.biz as well but I thought of the positives to it, and if I can't sell it to doctors / medical I can develop a blog on it with different ways to treat rashes.
  • dictionary word
  • 4 letters
  • .biz which is a solid top level domain.
I better start developing sh*t now, got a lot to do haha.
Worst mistake you could make.. Developing for development sake. This is just the ego wanting to feel right/ justified/ vindacated. We all make mistakes.

If developing, screw domains. What can you really offer of value to the world? Define, refine. Rinse, repeat. Much later, pick a domain for your prospective business.

•••
Worst mistake you could make.. Developing for development sake. This is just the ego wanting to feel right/ justified/ vindacated. We all make mistakes.

If developing, screw domains. What can you really offer of value to the world? Define, refine. Rinse, repeat. Much later, pick a domain for your prospective business.

I did an article on top 10 design agencies in my city and it got really good traction with a lot of enquiries about it from design agencies so I'm going to make a platform to list them, which is most likely going to be AgencyZilla.com. I'll work on getting it up today. http://leonfresh.com/top-10-design-agencies-sydney/

But yeah you're right that if I lack the passion / expertise in the area it might not work out for Rash.biz I guess. If my outbound sales fails , I'm thinking about hiring people to SEO it and write articles on it to get to a good ranking and then selling the website but I need to do more research.

•••
Who do you feel is a potential customer for this domain ?
big pharma , lol .:xf.smile: they'd jump at the chance to own rash.biz

Last edited:
•••
big pharma , lol .:xf.smile: they'd jump at the chance to own rash.biz

Jump? Interesting, because i checked wayback machine on it and it was listed for sale for around 300$ for a few years and nothing :P I guess they didn't do outbound properly.

•••
If you're developing, pick the project first, and then pick the domain name. Doing it in reverse order is a good way to use up a lot of your valuable time on sites that will only ever be half finished.

The .biz TLD is not good. Some sell it, but they generally know the market well. Most buyers see it as a spammy extension, and will not pay good money for it. Would you visit a doctor who operated as the "Rash Biz"? You may indeed find a buyer somewhere who will give you $600 for the name, but how many businesses/doctors will you need to email? How much of your time will it take?

Spend your time finding quality .com names that have 10 to 20 good potential buyers who could realistically pay you four figures for the name.

Hand registering can be dangerous, especially if you're in addiction/justification mode. Good names can be found, but you should always be looking through lists with an extremely selective eye, and working to convince yourself why you shouldn't buy a name.

•••
If you're developing, pick the project first, and then pick the domain name. Doing it in reverse order is a good way to use up a lot of your valuable time on sites that will only ever be half finished.

The .biz TLD is not good. Some sell it, but they generally know the market well. Most buyers see it as a spammy extension, and will not pay good money for it. Would you visit a doctor who operated as the "Rash Biz"? You may indeed find a buyer somewhere who will give you $600 for the name, but how many businesses/doctors will you need to email? How much of your time will it take?

Spend your time finding quality .com names that have 10 to 20 good potential buyers who could realistically pay you four figures for the name.

Hand registering can be dangerous, especially if you're in addiction/justification mode. Good names can be found, but you should always be looking through lists with an extremely selective eye, and working to convince yourself why you shouldn't buy a name.

Thanks for the advice. Would you still recommend sending un-registered names to sites like BrandBucket / namerific and if they approve, then you register it? Since I see that you have quite a Brandpa collection yourself.

And whats your selling rate so far and how long does it take to sell your stuff on Brandpa if you dont mind disclosing?

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the advice. Would you still recommend sending un-registered names to sites like BrandBucket / namerific and if they approve, then you register it? Since I see that you have quite a Brandpa collection yourself.

I wouldn't do it personally, but it's certainly a valid strategy, and a good way to save money on registrations if you're attempting to build up a brandable collection.

For my part, I removed my names from BrandBucket awhile back. Their marketplace is enormous now, and I actually lost a bit of faith in their ability to filter out subpar names. They now cast a very wide net.

If you're going to go the brandable route, I think it's important to not buy for the marketplaces. Get to know the market well, invest in some names that you really like (regardless of acceptance at BrandBucket, Brandpa, or any others), and then list them as you please. The visibility is great, but the trade off is losing a hefty chunk of your sales price.

•••
I guess they didn't do outbound properly.
Wrong. If outbound was the solution, then domainers - and spammers in general - would be thriving. The domain still has to be compelling enough.

On the occasion, I sometimes (but not often) handreg domains for personal projects but I am not expecting that somebody will want to buy them. There is no shortage of viable domains for regfee if you have an idea in mind, but there is a shortage of domain buyers.

I repeat myself, but stop thinking BB et al are the saviors. But I don't think you are listening. You are chasing a dream, like so many others. Right now, you should stop buying any more domains, period. Save your money for real assets. Get rid of the lottery ticket mentality, more domains doesn't mean you're increasing the odds of a sale. The odds of a sale are dictated by domain quality.

•••
Why anyone would want to start on the domain ladder when they could buy some zcash or other good crypto is beyond me. Crypto is domaining circa 1996.

•••
I wouldn't do it personally, but it's certainly a valid strategy, and a good way to save money on registrations if you're attempting to build up a brandable collection.

For my part, I removed my names from BrandBucket awhile back. Their marketplace is enormous now, and I actually lost a bit of faith in their ability to filter out subpar names. They now cast a very wide net.

If you're going to go the brandable route, I think it's important to not buy for the marketplaces. Get to know the market well, invest in some names that you really like (regardless of acceptance at BrandBucket, Brandpa, or any others), and then list them as you please. The visibility is great, but the trade off is losing a hefty chunk of your sales price.

Cool thanks. I edited my post above with another question if you missed it:
"And whats your selling rate so far and how long does it take to sell your stuff on Brandpa if you dont mind disclosing?"

I made the mistake of submitting subpar names to Brandpa for their registration process so I'll have to wait another month for it. Have you sold any names on Brandpa yet?

•••
Why anyone would want to start on the domain ladder when they could buy some zcash or other good crypto is beyond me. Crypto is domaining circa 1996.

I have very low clue about crypto and trading but I'm an expert on web dev sooo maybe thats why :/

•••
Cool thanks. I edited my post above with another question if you missed it:
"And whats your selling rate so far and how long does it take to sell your stuff on Brandpa if you dont mind disclosing?"

I made the mistake of submitting subpar names to Brandpa for their registration process so I'll have to wait another month for it. Have you sold any names on Brandpa yet?
Zero sales on either platform. Small portfolio at both.

I was on BB for a year with 30 names. Been on Brandpa for 4 months with 16 names, and received two enquiries already. No sales, so still nothing to be excited about, but I do tend to feel better about Brandpa's filtering in general.

•••
Zero sales on either platform. Small portfolio at both.

I was on BB for a year with 30 names. Been on Brandpa for 4 months with 16 names, and received two enquiries already. No sales, so still nothing to be excited about, but I do tend to feel better about Brandpa's filtering in general.

Feelsbadman, but that's a better rate on Brandpa at least. Willing to give that a go next month I can try registering again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back