NameSilo

advice Spent more than $500 on hand-regs, need some direction please.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi, I'm a designer / web developer new to the domain buying scene. I like the fact that when I buy a cool domain name, there's potential I can develop a website on it myself.

But recently I spent a lot of money on domaining... so I would appreciate if you have some advice or direction for me; or maybe I should just quit domaining because of how bad the regs are?

Also what should I do with keyword domains as Brandbucket doesn't seem to like these.

4xAA.com (keyword)
AceGT.com (brandable)
AgenciesList.com (keyword, will develop this)
AiBoots.com (keyword - nonexistant yet)
Aihance.com (brandable, I like this a lot because of Behance (big site) )
Aitasy.com (brandable)
Brandacular.com (brandable)
BuyHealing.com (keyword)
ClubState.com (brandable)
ColorBackground.com (keyword)
ColorsMeaning.com (keyword)
DanceJumps.com (keyword)
Digery.com (brandable)
Digitalry.com (brandable)
DopamineFunction.com (keyword)
Droneri.com (brandable)
Dronier.com (brandable)
Expertoid.com (brandable)
FeetInches.com (keyword)
FreeAds.io (keyword, will develop this)
Fundega.com (brandable)
GirlOffers.com (keyword)
GuruSonic.com (brandable)
HipsterWallpaper.com (keyword)
HoloShack.com (brandable)
InvestBliss.com (brandable)
KittyStudios.com (brandable)
KpopArtists.com (keyword, developed website)
Limo.kr (keyword)
NorseGoddess.com (keyword + brandable)
MusicPuns.com (keyword)
MusicToSleep.com (keyword, developed website)
Profithance.com (brandable)
ProfitSonic.com (brandable)
RealtorSalary.com (keyword, illegal copyright?)
RoyalOpen.com (brandable, Listed on BrandBucket! http://brandbucket.com/royalopen )
SexWithBoss.com (keyword)
SkillJolt.com (brandable)
SnapXr.com (brandable)
Staresque.com (brandable)
ThePerfectArt.com (brandable)
Upezy.com (brandable)
VeganAlfredo.com (keyword)
VeganFlan.com (keyword)
VeganMeatballs.com (keyword)
VeganSwan.com (brandable)
VegetarianCurry.com (keyword)
YouCosplay.com (brandable)
YouCrystal.com (brandable)
Zenasy.com (brandable)
ZenJolt.com (brandable)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just got this mail after putting all my domains on Afternic, apparently they only like SoftwareDevelop.net

0Y8EQGR.png

Is it worth it at all to transfer to Godaddy just for this?

•••
the worst thing you can currently do is browse expireddomains for 10$ 20 year old keyword domains.
new domains all the time

•••
This forum has wealth of information, yet you ask questions that are baffling :)

Do spend some time reading what people buy, why they buy etc.

Check NameBio sales regularly for all that lately sold for $xxxx to get the feel of what really sells.

Really high quality names priced right have a chance of 1% to 3% to sell in any given year with proper exposure (3+ times less with bad/no exposure)

The majority of names you register have a chance of 0.1% to 0.3% to sell in any given year, meaning you need 330 to 1000 names to make one sale. And since renewing 330 to 1000 names costs $2600 to $8000 and your sale proceeds will most probably be under $2000, you are destined to make loss every year.

So yes, stop buying, consider it blessing that you asked when you lost only $xxx, read for few months, keep asking, then restart slowly.

•••
Unfortunately there's a few problems with this one.

rash.biz
  • dictionary word
This is irrelevant. It is extremely hard to build a brand around a singular dictionary word so they are generally undesirable. There are exceptions but they are few enough that is not worth looking for them until you can spend $XXX+ per acquisition.

• 4 letters
Irrelevant. 3-letter .COM is the only thing where length is relevant. Even 4-letter .COM aren't worth getting into at this point. If you are worrying about domain length you are picking the wrong domains.

• .biz which is a solid top level domain.
Completely wrong. If you take one tip from here it should be to only stick to .COM. Don't be tempted by any other extension regardless of what you think of it. Your website is built on .COM so why would you expect a buyer to pay money for anything else? The day I stuck to .COM is the day domaining turned around for me.

Last edited:
•••
the worst thing you can currently do is browse expireddomains for 10$ 20 year old keyword domains.
new domains all the time
What does this mean ?

•••
new domains all the time

I just buy off the deleted section so they dont cost extra :o

This forum has wealth of information, yet you ask questions that are baffling :)

Do spend some time reading what people buy, why they buy etc.

Check NameBio sales regularly for all that lately sold for $xxxx to get the feel of what really sells.

Really high quality names priced right have a chance of 1% to 3% to sell in any given year with proper exposure (3+ times less with bad/no exposure)

The majority of names you register have a chance of 0.1% to 0.3% to sell in any given year, meaning you need 330 to 1000 names to make one sale. And since renewing 330 to 1000 names costs $2600 to $8000 and your sale proceeds will most probably be under $2000, you are destined to make loss every year.

So yes, stop buying, consider it blessing that you asked when you lost only $xxx, read for few months, keep asking, then restart slowly.

This is really low numbers... thanks for the info & advice!

If you keep doing outbound sales does it make it better? What research are these % from exactly?

Completely wrong. If you take one tip from here it should be to only stick to .COM. Don't be tempted by any other extension regardless of what you think of it. Your website is built on .COM so why would you expect a buyer to pay money for anything else? The day I stuck to .COM is the day domaining turned around for me.

Well all your points aren't very solid, like this one is just very debate-able.

For eg you see a big industry like Lamb.biz ( short for Lamb Business ) and it's a 14 years 9 months old domain so really you're saying it's not worth the $5 reg fee?

To exaggerate a bit if you see a domain name like Crypto.net that's avail, you won't take it?

People saying their biz names are still selling recently: https://www.namepros.com/threads/biz-single-keyword-domains.1080988/

Last edited:
•••
For eg you see a big industry like Lamb.biz ( short for Lamb Business ) and it's a 14 years 9 months old domain so really you're saying it's not worth the $5 reg fee?
Forget age, that is only useful for SEO. Not sure why so many people make that a selling point.

As to the name, nobody running a farm that sells lamb meat is going to want Lamb.biz
Don't believe me ? Go visit chicken.biz, pork.biz, beef.biz
See what I mean ?

•••
Forget age, that is only useful for SEO. Not sure why so many people make that a selling point.

As to the name, nobody running a farm that sells lamb meat is going to want Lamb.biz
Don't believe me ? Go visit chicken.biz, pork.biz, beef.biz
See what I mean ?

Actually it's really sad that a lot of biz domains are like that. I'll make sure to do some research like that next time.

•••
Actually it's really sad that a lot of biz domains are like that. I'll make sure to do some research like that next time.
Its probably worth something, but you are likey to spend alot of time trying to sell it if doing outbound and not get much return. No harm in putting it up for sale everywhere for the rest of it's year.

I buy short 3-4L .biz, but only if they are $1 and I have done some number crunching. Regardless, I put it up for sale, turn off renewals and move on. I say this a lot with these kind of domains. You could make low $xxx and that is a great return for $1. But dont focus on these as your main portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
Its probably worth something, but you are likey to spend alot of time trying to sell it if doing outbound and not get much return. No harm in putting it up for sale everywhere for the rest of it's year.

I buy short 3-4L .biz, but only if they are $1 and I have done some number crunching. Regardless, I put it up for sale, turn off renewals and move on. I say this a lot with these kind of domains. You could make low $xxx and that is a great return for $1. But dont focus on these as your main portfolio.

Cool thanks for elaborating and sharing your experience. Are they usually on sale for $1 reg fee? If i see one on expired domains it's unlikely I can also wait till its on special though.

Also I guess people like older domains because they are not only for SEO but you know that the demand is there, i.e. popularity and rarity. (older it is usually the better quality of name)

Last edited:
•••
Cool thanks for elaborating and sharing your experience. Are they usually on sale for $1 reg fee?

Also I guess people like older domains because they are not only for SEO but you know that the demand is there, i.e. popularity and rarity. (older it is usually the better quality of name)
For some reason .biz is always on sale somewhere. :-P

Older rarely means anything to an end user. Likewise, go look at some of the awful domains being sold here where the seller will say "15 YEAR OLD DOMAIN !" like that makes up for the fact the name is lousy.

•••
Well I see.. but I checked https://tld-list.com/tld/biz before I registered and the cheapest was from PorkBun at $5

But you know what I mean, if you look at expired domains and make the list filter from the age of the domain, you'll see the quality of the names in the older bracket are much higher because the best names weren't taken back then obviously.

•••
I would appreciate if you have some advice or direction for me
Park them and renew only the ones that earn >$10/yr. Age is a useful drop search filter but understand that once you dig it from the grave the game clock resets, for example lamb.biz is 1 day old per whois and in the eyes of most domainers. Good luck!

•••
Park them and renew only the ones that earn >$10/yr. Age is a useful drop search filter but understand that once you dig it from the grave the game clock resets, for example lamb.biz is 1 day old per whois and in the eyes of most domainers. Good luck!

Oh wow. I use web age tool or archive.org... does it really lose all its SEO value if it drops? I really doubt that....

And do you prefer to show ads on your parking sites? I'm parked with Undeveloped and it looks clean / professional without ads

•••
I said nothing about SEO, my point was that most domainers measure age by whois creation date and wince at day old names described as aged. Yes for me the point of parking is to show ads.

•••
I said nothing about SEO, my point was that most domainers measure age by whois creation date and wince at day old names described as aged. Yes for me the point of parking is to show ads.

So yeah I guess there's pros and cons... do you have an example landing page to show and how much do you make per year usually with it?

•••
Example landing page below, actual earnings are private but the target is >$10/yr/name.

parkedpageexample.jpg

•••
That's pretty cool actually. So do you think any of my domains are good enough to make around $10 / year?

•••
I doubt it. First you'd need traffic and it comes 3 ways: direct, referral and search. Direct (type-in) your prospects are bleak due to low/no [sld.tld] search volume. Referral (backlinks) is your best hope, I didn't check, it takes about a minute to google each name and pray. Even if you do get lucky, backlinks can be here today gone tomorrow. Search is brick walled if you park.

•••
Hi, I'm a designer / web developer new to the domain buying scene. I like the fact that when I buy a cool domain name, there's potential I can develop a website on it myself.

But recently I spent a lot of money on domaining... so I would appreciate if you have some advice or direction for me; or maybe I should just quit domaining because of how bad the regs are?

Also what should I do with keyword domains as Brandbucket doesn't seem to like these.

4xAA.com (keyword)
AceGT.com (brandable)
AgenciesList.com (keyword, will develop this)
AiBoots.com (keyword - nonexistant yet)
Aihance.com (brandable, I like this a lot because of Behance (big site) )
Aitasy.com (brandable)
Brandacular.com (brandable)
BuyHealing.com (keyword)
ClubState.com (brandable)
ColorBackground.com (keyword)
ColorsMeaning.com (keyword)
DanceJumps.com (keyword)
Digery.com (brandable)
Digitalry.com (brandable)
DopamineFunction.com (keyword)
Droneri.com (brandable)
Dronier.com (brandable)
Expertoid.com (brandable)
FeetInches.com (keyword)
FreeAds.io (keyword, will develop this)
Fundega.com (brandable)
GirlOffers.com (keyword)
GuruSonic.com (brandable)
HipsterWallpaper.com (keyword)
HoloShack.com (brandable)
InvestBliss.com (brandable)
KittyStudios.com (brandable)
KpopArtists.com (keyword, developed website)
Limo.kr (keyword)
NorseGoddess.com (keyword + brandable)
MusicPuns.com (keyword)
MusicToSleep.com (keyword, developed website)
Profithance.com (brandable)
ProfitSonic.com (brandable)
RealtorSalary.com (keyword, illegal copyright?)
RoyalOpen.com (brandable, Listed on BrandBucket! http://brandbucket.com/royalopen )
SexWithBoss.com (keyword)
SkillJolt.com (brandable)
SnapXr.com (brandable)
Staresque.com (brandable)
ThePerfectArt.com (brandable)
Upezy.com (brandable)
VeganAlfredo.com (keyword)
VeganFlan.com (keyword)
VeganMeatballs.com (keyword)
VeganSwan.com (brandable)
VegetarianCurry.com (keyword)
YouCosplay.com (brandable)
YouCrystal.com (brandable)
Zenasy.com (brandable)
ZenJolt.com (brandable)

List every single one of your domains on Afternic and Sedo with $500 BIN and wait.

Then invest in aftermarket domains. Handregging is good for experienced investors.

•••
List every single one of your domains on Afternic and Sedo with $500 BIN and wait.

Then invest in aftermarket domains. Handregging is good for experienced investors.

If he cannot tell which names are good with handreg/drop/expired, how would he know which ones are good in aftermarket and justify $xxx to $xxxx price?

•••

Don't list them on more than one marketplace with BIN Afternic $499 sedo make offer min $150

•••
Just got this mail after putting all my domains on Afternic, apparently they only like SoftwareDevelop.net

0Y8EQGR.png

Any domain you set a BIN for at Afternic is placed into their premium promotion network.

Last edited:
•••
This is a good example of what NOT to register.

1. it is .net The probability of sale is X times lower than corresponding .com. The expected price will be also X times lower than .com. Renewals will cost more by 50% or so.
2. Software/Develop does not make sense. Develop/Software would, although not ideal either. Verb+Noun don't work most of the time. Software/Development would have been ideal
3. Software/Develop has 15 letters. With rare exceptions, stick to 12 or below. In your case, even stricter: 10 max. The shorter, the better.

•••
This is a good example of what NOT to register.

1. it is .net The probability of sale is X times lower than corresponding .com. The expected price will be also X times lower than .com. Renewals will cost more by 50% or so.
2. Software/Develop does not make sense. Develop/Software would, although not ideal either. Verb+Noun don't work most of the time. Software/Development would have been ideal
3. Software/Develop has 15 letters. With rare exceptions, stick to 12 or below. In your case, even stricter: 10 max. The shorter, the better.

Yeahh I thought so too before I got it. It's also kind of a spelling mistake, but even so the exact terms gets many searches still.

I did run a google trends search on it before I bought it and it's almost the same search volume as Vegetarian Curry.

I just realised now though that the exact search volume of "Software Develop" is very very low, but the wide search volume is just fine. https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=software develop,vegetarian curry,"vegetarian curry","software develop"

Estibot valued it pretty highly at $1200 but I guess i shouldnt rely on it.

I mean it's not amazing by any means so I have no idea why Afternic put it in their premium listing.

Don't list them on more than one marketplace with BIN Afternic $499 sedo make offer min $150

https://undeveloped.com/domain-seller/leon-fresh

So my portfolio price listing is way too high isnt it

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back