IT.COM

advice Sold my first domain, what do you think is the next step?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mutine

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

I read the forum since few times now and I finally launched myself in domaining :)

So after few newbie mistakes of buying bad domain and learn from it, i did yesterday my first sold.

Bought a two words .com for 9 EUR and managed to sell it for 50. What would you advice me to do as a next step, should i focus on buying a new domain name for 50 EUR and try to flip it for more or should I buy 5 domains for 10EUR and grow my portfolio?

Thank you for your help and for the everyday informations that are really usefull for beginners!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I invest a lot in French domains
Excellent.
I've been trying to flip this domain JESUIS.CO
Wondering if you can broker it?

•••
dont buy
register....there are thousands of good names available:rolleyes:

•••
stick to .coms and avoid .top

•••
•••
•••

What?
I write my opinions - if you don't agree, you can s.top reading them.

BTW, s.top is an expensive premium domain, you can find it on SEDO, it has already offers.

•••
What?
I write my opinions - if you don't agree, you can s.top reading them.

BTW, s.top is an expensive premium domain, you can find it on SEDO, it has already offers.
Ok I will S.top before you blowyour.top:) btw I'm just having fun, don't be so serio.us

•••
Ali Zandi wrote a great post " The $20 to a Baller Challenge". I would start with that.

There are (and always be) many opinions on which TLD you should stick to. I would listen to advice from experienced domainers and would stick to .com for the next year. IMO

Anyway, congrats and good luck! :)

•••
Thank you @all for your advices! I think to be safe and not play yet with a market i dont know that well, I will stick to .com for a few and try to avoid the biggest newbie mistakes.

I will keep you informed of next buy and sales

•••
Yes Congrats! Find a dropped domain sales page / expiring and get a nice domain for yourself. You may be able to sell it on as #Premium.. Or you may be able to use it yourself.. :)

•••
Here are the steps

Buy at 9 sell at 50
Buy at 50 sell at 500
Buy at 500 sell at 2,000
Buy at 2,000 sell at 5,000
Buy at 500,000.... sell at 1,000,000
Buy at 9 sell at 50 : 1 month
Buy at 50 sell at 500 : 4 month
Buy at 500 sell at 2,000 : 8 month
Buy at 2,000 sell at 5,000 : 1 year
Buy at 500,000.... sell at 1,000,000: 100 years :guilty:

•••
•••
My first sale was $305 on ebay. I bought it for $5 along with a few others as a packaged auction on a forum. sold the others for $50-$100 each. I was hooked after that. I find the sweet spot for end-users in the $x,xxx range. good luck

•••
@urlurl Awesome!! Sounds you have found your talent point.

I am a bit less lucky at the moment with the new domain I bought ;)

•••
I would follow the advice of sticking with .com.

Why? Because we dont know when end users will get much more into new tlds and which ones will be popular. Top might be a great investment, it might not be. If it is, it will be more longterm and at this moment you need to have a few sales to build up a portfolio.

I am quite new myself and I have experienced that any new tld has an extra hurdle. You not only have to sell the name, also the tld. That is just my experience.

Personally i chose geo domains on NP, closeouts or expireddomains.net. They cost around $ 25,- on average and the end user is quite clear. Lets say you have denverlocksmith.com: any locksmith in denver could use it, a lot of sites already have similar domains in use ( for example denverlocksmiths.com or a .net)

The upside here is also that a lot of end users will see value in the domain. The only question is if they are willing to pay at least low $ xxx for a domain.

If you made a few sales, you can then always choose to build up a small new tld portfolio for the longer term

However, you might not be into geos but more into brandables. I myself find it much harder so the important part is finding something that works for you and where your strength lies

•••
I strongly recommend to not follow this 'typical .com opinion'.
There are oceans of 'death' .com's - it's not longer the solution to trust only in .com - that's history, future has begun.
Focus the future TLD.
I strongly recommend to go with .top.
Why?
Because .com is 'oldschool' while .top 'highschool'.
Register good researched words and build a small .top portfolio which you can handle.
And be patient.
.top is growing ultra fast, just watch the stats.
'com' is a 'cutted', specific word while 'top' is a complete and powerful term with a clear meaning: 'stay on top' = 'be the best'.
The days will come when all want to stay on top - with a .top domain.

Dellusions. Your ".top dreams" are the perfect reflection of a Ponzi scheme adaptation. That extension is one of the least popular and, even though some domains have sold, they have got no commercial value or brandability. Look at them. It's painful.

A sad trend that is soon going to end because there is no end-user. But of course, as always, some people will be seduced by these empty promises, they will buy, hoping to wait, and sell.

Until the pyramid crumbles.

•••
Lots of good advice but I would like to add this.

Now that you had your first sale:

1. Put away your initial investment. Now you're just working with profit. You can't really lose.
2. I would not invest more than 60% of your profit. You'll need to renew your domains.

•••
Congrats on your first sale and earning a nice margin.

Here is what I have learnt and if I could go back in time (when I started) I would do. It can snowball eventually.

1. Read the threads about "how to sell to end users". Read more, then read some more and then read some more. Study the industry well.

2. Then I would find - buy or if available to register, then register domains what I can sell to end users for a decent profit $xxx or possibly for $x,xxx. Once you make a few sales, have gained some experience and have gotten to a point where you can sell at least 5 -10 domains a month to end users for at least a low $xxx profit each domain, then put some of the profits on the side.

3. Take the profits you have put on the side and use it to buy traffic + revenue domains. Start with buying domains that are making at least $1 a day in revenue. You can start with 1 domain per month and increase it to a few domains a month with the profits you are making from selling to end users and as well as parking revenue.

4. Rinse and repeat until you have at least 200-250 domains that are making $1 a day. That will give you around $6000-$7500 a month in parking revenue. Plus the profits you are making from end user sales.

If you are making another $2000-$3000 a month from end user sales plus another $6000+ a month from parking revenue then my friend you will make 6 figures a year or at least pretty close to those figures. All of this can be done in 24-36 months if done right.

For most people it is financial freedom. It ain't easy. It will require a lot of research and work but it will pay off and beat any job - unless you are a CEO/President of one of the fortune 500 companies - making 7 figures a year. In that case you don't need to be here.

Good Luck.

•••
Here are the steps

Buy at 9 sell at 50
Buy at 50 sell at 500
Buy at 500 sell at 2,000
Buy at 2,000 sell at 5,000
Buy at 500,000.... sell at 1,000,000

You will soon be a millionaire !

Good luck.

OR it could go like this:

Buy at 9 sell at 50
Buy at 50 sell at 500
Buy at 500 sell at 2,000
Buy at 2,000 sell at 500
Buy at 500 sell at 50
Buy at 50 sell at 9

:'(

•••
only buy or reg names you should expect to re-reg for 5- 10 years. if you buy names with the thought of turning it around in less than a year your profit margins will be tight. you need to have a plan and patience in this industry... and a good eye fro quality

•••
I love that the thread is alive! It might become a really great guide for all the first seller!!! Thanks for all your answers and advices!!

•••
Dellusions. Your ".top dreams" are the perfect reflection of a Ponzi scheme adaptation. That extension is one of the least popular and, even though some domains have sold, they have got no commercial value or brandability. Look at them. It's painful.

A sad trend that is soon going to end because there is no end-user. But of course, as always, some people will be seduced by these empty promises, they will buy, hoping to wait, and sell.

Until the pyramid crumbles.
I can't confirm your view, I am sure I live in another reality than you.
.top is the second most registered new TLD (2 millions) now and I am convinced that it will become #1 in amount of registrations of new TLDs in near future and #1 in amount of registrations of all existing TLDs someday.
Call it '.top dreams', I call it '.top logic'.
I have time.

Last edited:
•••
The biggest trap new domainers fall into is buying (or registering) lots of domains. Here are some things I've learned:

1. Renewal costs will eat your profits if you let them. So, when in doubt, DON'T BUY IT, or register it!

2. The best predictor of a future sale is past sales. Study past sales and LEARN WHAT SELLS and for how much.

3. Don't buy a domain if you don't have evidence that you can sell it for a reasonable profit after renewal costs and sales platform commissions. See #2, #1 and #4

4. If you sell 5% of your domains each year for a nice profit you are doing well. See #1

5. If you haven't received any inquires or offers on a domain you own for several years. LET IT DROP. See #1

I'd like to say that I follow these rules without fail. But I've been known to bid "just a little more" or renew that dog for "just another year". Usually I end up smacking myself in the head soon after.

Good Luck and Profitable domaining

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back