Dynadot

advice Sold my first domain, what do you think is the next step?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mutine

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

I read the forum since few times now and I finally launched myself in domaining :)

So after few newbie mistakes of buying bad domain and learn from it, i did yesterday my first sold.

Bought a two words .com for 9 EUR and managed to sell it for 50. What would you advice me to do as a next step, should i focus on buying a new domain name for 50 EUR and try to flip it for more or should I buy 5 domains for 10EUR and grow my portfolio?

Thank you for your help and for the everyday informations that are really usefull for beginners!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And how sure are you that you can get 5 domains for 50euros. Or is it handreg ?

•••
Stick to what you know I say. If you're confident you can repeat what you've already done, buy 5 and make the proffit. Gives yourself some more time to become confident in you selling/buying skills. Thats what I think anyway.

•••
Hello,

I read the forum since few times now and I finally launched myself in domaining :)

So after few newbie mistakes of buying bad domain and learn from it, i did yesterday my first sold.

Bought a two words .com for 9 EUR and managed to sell it for 50. What would you advice me to do as a next step, should i focus on buying a new domain name for 50 EUR and try to flip it for more or should I buy 5 domains for 10EUR and grow my portfolio?

Thank you for your help and for the everyday informations that are really usefull for beginners!!

Great.. so obvious answer repeat what you have done. But try to sell higher prices next time.

•••
Thanks @UniflexDomains : I think that i began to avoid the big beginners mistakes of just buying what sounded nice to me. So i can try to indeed develop that

@TheAngelo : I was more thinking about use those 50 euros i won to buy a domain in auction for that price

•••
Hand regged domains can pay off but they are few and far between from my experience. Sometimes the aftermarket can get you a better quality domain for a good price. So I would probably give that a go with your earnings. Make sure to research the domain first and foremost though. You are definitely better off investing in one higher quality domain than a bunch of hand regs. Best of luck.

•••
thanks @ElliottS for your advices!
I might have a look at close out auctions or so then

•••
$40 margin per name is not enough. You'll burn through the cash fast, as normal sales ratio even for good portfolios are in 1%-3% range. You need to hold 35 to 100 names for 1 sale per year. So your cost just to hold them is $350 to $1000 not factoring in acquisition cost.

•••
Hello,

Congrats! Very nice return on that first sale.

I would suggest you repeat the same pattern for a while to gain more experience.
Continue to buy cheap domains and resell as high as you can. Maybe next time it will be more than $50.

After selling 5-10 names this way, then you can step up your game.

You don't want to start thinking you are now a master and invest $100 in a bad name. Slow and steady is key !

•••
Thanks for the advices.

Indeed I am still feeling too newbie to try something more expensive than a 10 dollars name or trying to use what i got from my first sale.

I think I will try to stay a bit in those 10 dollars buying 50 dollars selling to get more used of what people really want/need

•••
Here are the steps

Buy at 9 sell at 50
Buy at 50 sell at 500
Buy at 500 sell at 2,000
Buy at 2,000 sell at 5,000
Buy at 500,000.... sell at 1,000,000

You will soon be a millionaire !

Good luck.

•••
•••
GoDaddy Closeouts are a good place to look for the next step up for $5-$10. + reg. fee.

•••
An amazing stuff with that forum compared to many internet money forum is that you actually get good advices here and not just random "haha you just sold for 50 euros you noob"...

Highly loveable!

•••
Create a tiny portfolio of good .top domains and be patient.

•••
•••
Me too. If you can help with a list. Available for Reg. fee only.
I dont have a list, Sir.
You have to be creative for your own, simply use the web to figure out which names may have future.

•••
Make a list of names you can buy, and narrow it down to the best 1. That way you can hold onto your investment longer if need be because your only paying renewals for 1....and stick with .com as that's the most valuable and established extension.

•••
Create a tiny portfolio of good .top domains and be patient.

I strongly recommend not to follow this advice for now.
You are beginning. Stay in [.com]. Do not tie up money in that tld.

•••
First off, congrats on your sale and nice profit margin!

A lot of good advice above, I thought I would add my additional thoughts.

1) Invest in things you ideally know and can sell well.. or at least where you know the target market and buyer. For example, I invest a lot in French domains (in many extensions) for the simple fact that I speak French, live in Canada .. this allows me to develop the domain a bit and tailor it to the target market or buyer. That pays for hosting and the renewal fees (and sometimes much more) and increases the value to both reseller or end-user customers.

2) Can you code and/or develop and market a bit? If not, learn how. Pointing to a simple parking page, in my experience, is the least lucrative monetization method for 99.99% of domains.

3) Invest in domains that you're comfortable with (the cost and the risk involved).... don't get suckered in (too much) by new extensions promoted at $5 for first year and $100 for renewals... can you afford to renew your domain(s)? If not, you're betting you can sell for a profit in 12 months? Not always easy.

Cheers
:) RTM

•••
I strongly recommend not to follow this advice for now.
You are beginning. Stay in [.com]. Do not tie up money in that tld.
I strongly recommend to not follow this 'typical .com opinion'.
There are oceans of 'death' .com's - it's not longer the solution to trust only in .com - that's history, future has begun.
Focus the future TLD.
I strongly recommend to go with .top.
Why?
Because .com is 'oldschool' while .top 'highschool'.
Register good researched words and build a small .top portfolio which you can handle.
And be patient.
.top is growing ultra fast, just watch the stats.
'com' is a 'cutted', specific word while 'top' is a complete and powerful term with a clear meaning: 'stay on top' = 'be the best'.
The days will come when all want to stay on top - with a .top domain.

Last edited:
•••
I strongly recommend to not follow this opinion.
Equal what you are, go with .top.
Why?
Because .com is oldschool while .top highschool.
Find good recherched words and build a small .top portfolio which you can handle.
this is so wrong in so many ways. Smh

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Congrats! Sell the second one :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back