IT.COM

sales Sold a .org for $4,500 within 60 days conflict (SedoMLS)

NameSilo
Watch

Domainication

Top Member
Impact
1,659
So here's the story.:

I transfered a .org from namecheap to dynadot at 1st of december.
I was able to activate SedoMLS and Afternic Fast transfer immediately like there is no 60 days lock.

And at 3rd of december a buyer claimed that name at Namecheap (SedoMLS) for a sweet 4.288 €.

I now know the sale will not go through because of the 60 days lock wich is really sad.
Dynadot support told so. There is only an option for .net and .com to opt-out at fresh transfers.

@Sedo @Dynadot

You really need to fix that. Why was i able to activate SedoMLS when it was not ready for actication?
Like.. f.e. when i put up a new registered domain then Sedo will tell me that domain is within lock and can not be activatet after the 60 days period. This should be the info i get when i try to activate a new transfered .org too. Or am i wrong?

Now i still have the sale in my transfer center but it will not go through. How / when will the buyer be informed?

The status of the name is 'transferPeriod https://icann.org/epp#transferPeriod'. Any chance to cancel the transfer from Namecheap to Dynadot to make this work?

Were anyone of you domainers in the same situation?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So there is no option for Dynadot to 'refund' the name back to Namecheap where the sale happend.
Told the sedo team to cancel the transfer. Arrrgh. That was my first .org sale which i was pretty happy with.
Lesson learnd. Even if Sedo activates your name for MLS it can be there is a transfer lock anyway. Damn!
 
0
•••
I thought that you could always transfer back to the losing registrar in that 60 day period.
@Sedo
Contact another registrar and ask them.
Or maybe I am misinterpreting the situation
 
1
•••
I asked namesilo and they said not possible. Having my doubts as you could in past. The past is history
Hope this works out for you
 
1
•••
That is sad that the sale is apparently lost. I take it the buyer is not willing to wait until the name can be transferred.

The 60 day transfer lock for .org, as I understand it, is set by their backend provider (same for .xyz and other names by that registry) and there is no option for the registrar to not apply it.

I had noticed that Dynadot allow you to instantly activate FT (Sav too) on transferred domain names, and wondered what would happen if a sale happened within the 60 day period. So it appears there are problems.

The 60 day period is so long, I hope we will soon see it reduced, particularly for transfers.

Hope somehow the name still sells.

-Bob
 
Last edited:
5
•••
I tried it on both sides. Dynadot (new registrar) and namecheap (losing registar). Both told me they can do nothing to make this work. My last hope is that when namecheap tell the buyer the sale is not going to happen that they'll inform the buyer about the 60-days lock and that he'd need to create an Dynadot account to get the name and he maybe come back at the landingpage to buy the name.

Pretty frustrating. And it looks horrible for buyers in that situation. I mean. They already paid the money and didn't get anything. Yes - he'll get a refund but the buyer is left very confused about the situation and maybe is scared to buy any domain in the future.

I think @Sedo and @GoDaddy (Afternic) really need to fix that. If a domain of any extention is NOT ready for a fast transfer service than there should NOT be an option to opt in MLS or fast transfer imo.

Keep you updated.
 
Last edited:
4
•••
That is sad that the sale is apparently lost. I take it the buyer is not willing to wait until the name can be transferred.

Ah yeah, that could be an option too. I forgot about that (was totally focused on a FAST transfer πŸ˜…).
Maybe this could work for them. πŸ™
 
0
•••
See if you can get the buyers contact information and maybe you can still complete the sale. Since you can't cancel the transfer, the buyer would have to have a Dynadot account and you could push the domain to their account.
 
0
•••
Was the sale through Afternic or Sedo ? Afternic will easily hold your money for 60 days!
SEDO - NO
Contact those through whom the sale took place!
 
1
•••
See if you can get the buyers contact information and maybe you can still complete the sale. Since you can't cancel the transfer, the buyer would have to have a Dynadot account and you could push the domain to their account.

No way to find the buyer (by only knwowing its country) - it is a one word .org and could be lots of potential buyers. And i'll act fair on this. I'm fine with sedo to take that 20% of commision. Maybe the'll get it work somehow...
 
0
•••
Was the sale through Afternic or Sedo ? Afternic will easily hold your money for 60 days!
SEDO - NO
Contact those through whom the sale took place!

It was through SedoMLS. Yeah i'm a bit scared the buyer will back out and pick the .net which is also available for the same pricing. But the keyword and the extension fits pretty well. Hope they will stay focused on the .org. Lets see where this will lead to.
 
0
•••
With Afternic - this happened to me 3 times - the money was snatched from the buyer and the domains were transferred after 60 days!
but in Sedo there was an incident - it didn’t work out (brokers Sedo are very loyal)
 
1
•••
Find the broker responsible for this transaction and don’t give up on him for a minute - that is, breathe down his neck - maybe something will work out
 
1
•••
write to them in their form on the website - and to their email - until they give you a broker - even call! but only according to European time
 
1
•••
I've had Sedo sales wait out the 60-day registry lock but I've also seen many cases where it ends up being a push to a Dynadot account (unless the sale came through a registrar partner in which case it's always been a wait).

My experience has been that Sedo is good about communicating with the buyer. To ease the wait and let the buyer get moving, I've offered to set NS for them or put a URL forward in place. That lets the buyer move forward and keeps the sale in place.

Good luck!
 
5
•••
Thanks for all of your massages.

The problem is that this was an MLS sale and i think the communication isn't sedo to buyer but namecheap to buyer. Never was in this kind of situation within all of my sales.

It is even a bit hard to contact sedo about this because in the transfer center is the communication field missing in the transaction because its an MLS sale:

1701705982983.png


I've sent them a mail and they answered that it will be forwarded to the transfer specialist.
Will post an update if something changes up here.
 
0
•••
I have sold many names through Sedo, that were under lock.
They never had any problem with that.
They are just informing the buyer that he can receive the domain internally, in the same registrar, or wait till the lock is off.
Sedo MLS doesn't affect the transaction.
Even with MLS deactivated, the name would still be listed in Namecheap.
 
Last edited:
5
•••
I have sold many names through Sedo, that were under lock.
They never had any problem with that.
They are just informing the buyer that he can receive the domain internally, in the same registrar, or wait till the lock is off.
Sedo MLS doesn't affect the transaction.
Even with MLS deactivated, the name would still be listed in Namecheap.

But in my sedo transfer center i see the buyer of the name is 'namecheap' in the purchase contract. So the buyer used namecheap to claim that name. And even they claimed by namecheap there will be an interaction of sedo to tell the buyer to not register at namecheap?
I mean. Would be amazing but i though MLS would be handled in an other way. Like if the buyer proceeds at namecheap sedo would only interact in the background and will never get in contact with the buyer.
 
1
•••
Just to clarify, if a domain is transferred between registrars it triggers a 60 day lock which is mandated under ICANN policy. This is not the registrar's choice.

While transfers can be undone in certain cases (like theft), it is not common to just undo a transfer.

Brad
 
Last edited:
2
•••
I think @Sedo and @GoDaddy (Afternic) really need to fix that. If a domain of any extention is NOT ready for a fast transfer service than there should NOT be an option to opt in MLS or fast transfer imo.
In an ideal word sure, but this would probably be extremely hard to implement.

Brad
 
0
•••
Just to clarify, if a domain is transferred between registrars it triggers a 60 day lock which is mandated under ICANN policy. This is not the registrar's choice.

Agreed. But at Dynadot you can opt out the 60-days lock for .net and .com TLDs which are newly transfered (if you are the previous owner):

To clarify, newly transferred .COM and .NET domains do NOT have the 60 day transfer lock on them. The 60 day lock only applies them if they're newly registered. Some Registrars choose to have the 60-Day lock on recent transfers, which correlates with some of the responses on this thread.

I thought that this was possible with .org too but this is not an option for them.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
In an ideal word sure, but this would probably be extremely hard to implement.

Brad

I thought there would be an background check with the whois domain status to check if MLS or fast transfer can be activated. With new registrations, auctions wins, etc. it works 100% fine. Only this transfers are not intergrated. But maybe you are right. They would have fixed that already if it would be that easy imo.
 
1
•••
But in my sedo transfer center i see the buyer of the name is 'namecheap' in the purchase contract. So the buyer used namecheap to claim that name. And even they claimed by namecheap there will be an interaction of sedo to tell the buyer to not register at namecheap?
I mean. Would be amazing but i though MLS would be handled in an other way. Like if the buyer proceeds at namecheap sedo would only interact in the background and will never get in contact with the buyer.
I was going to say that you are right, but I decided to check my past sales in Sedo, and I found this:

Hi,

the client of the MLS Partner does not want to wait until the 60day lock period is over so he opened an account with sav.com.

Please push the domain into our account with your registrar, sav.com.
Username: [email protected]

We will push it than from our account to the client of the MLS Partner.
The payment will be release as soon as the MLS Partner confirmed that the client has control of the domain in his sav.com account.

Best regards,
 
4
•••
This sale was also through NameCheap.
But you will still have to wait for 2 months to get paid.
 
3
•••
I was going to say that you are right, but I decided to check my past sales in Sedo, and I found this:

Hi,

the client of the MLS Partner does not want to wait until the 60day lock period is over so he opened an account with sav.com.

Please push the domain into our account with your registrar, sav.com.
Username: [email protected]

We will push it than from our account to the client of the MLS Partner.
The payment will be release as soon as the MLS Partner confirmed that the client has control of the domain in his sav.com account.

Best regards,

😍 Thank you so much for your effort! This gives hope to get it handled. Would be fine to get paid immeaditly for sure but at the moment i'm more than happy if the sale will not be canceled even if the cash flow will take place later that time.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back