IT.COM

discuss So how's the new TLD thing affecting the industry?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sky

Established Member
Impact
What's happened to people holding .COMs and other TLDs? They losing money now, lower prices/prospects? With so many new TLDs is it really worth investing in any of them and squatting as so many have done?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Garbage domains are still worthless. Premium domains are worth more than ever. Not much has changed because of the new gTLDs except there is more money pouring into the industry than ever before. The pie is growing.

•••
•••
It's difficult to see an effect on the domaining side of things due to the nature of domain values (worth what someone is willing to pay....).

On the development side there is clearly a negative effect to some degree on existing TLDs, but the projects on the new gTLDs are still so tiny that it isn't plainly obvious. .Com is still the most desirable option, but new gTLDs in general have kind of taken .net's place as being THE .com alternative. There are days when the .net registry experiences a net loss in domains. That was unthinkable a few years ago.

•••
gTLD's will impact the industry, to what extent and how early is unsure at this juncture as it's too early.

What did I read .org hits 30 years today? gTLD's hit one year but not all, they're still coming.

IMO anyone that thinks gTLDs will not be main stream is old school, WAY too much money being invested by everyone involved.

•••
There are some select good opportunities in the new gTLDs. However, .com is still the number one.

•••
The nTLD effect (my vision)
brandablesss.png

•••
Sounds amazing with them but kind of hard to replace that type in traffic from dot coms and lets not forget cell phones dot com hotkeys on them.

•••
.com still rules and will continue to. Its the "second choice" that gets a little muddy if the .com is taken.

Tech company, .io might contend with .net as second choice.

Etc

•••
I believe it has affected sales prices of short brandable .COMs without significant search volume as well as EMD in other extensions. I have seen far fewer high $XXX sales and low $XXXX sales than used to be the case several years ago. There are more options available. Renewal costs have not gone down so.... Those new to the industry and buying up new TLDs like mad don't understand the effect of higher renewal costs on portfolio cash flow. They also don't realize how little those outside the industry care about domains (i.e. willingness to pay $XXXX for a domain in some TLD which didn't even exist prior to 2014). While high-dollar sales get the most press, most domain sales in this industry are $XXX.

•••
No impact. Stick to cnobiu.

•••
I tire of the let's put down dot coms becuase all these new tlds are so great threads.

Most quality dot coms will increase in value. You have to look at each name differently, not bundle to whole world of com into one ball.

For example, if you sit on a dot com of bestloans, the value of this domain will just increase more each year imo, regardless of new gtlds.

But if you have dot coms that are, and lets be honest, low-medium and under in quality, then you may lose out to other gtlds.

Some people seem to think dot com is doomed... what world are they living in? Not this one.

Good day.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back