Dynadot

Sites using Dan.com nameservers not resolving in certain browsers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have recently parked my domains at Dan.com and many times when I visit these sites I get an error message and the sites do not resolve. When I type www.example.com in the browser then the Dan landing page always resolves but when I type example.com into the browser without the www. then the landing page many times does not resolve. this is on a Mac using safari and Firefox. Has anybody else noticed Dan.com pages not resolving?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have recently parked my domains at Dan.com and many times when I visit these sites I get an error message and the sites do not resolve. When I type www.example.com in the browser then the Dan landing page always resolves but when I type example.com into the browser without the www. then the landing page many times does not resolve. this is on a Mac using safari and Firefox. Has anybody else noticed Dan.com pages not resolving?

It is resolving for me.

•••
I believe that many domain investors will already approve cookies, visited dan landing pages before and may be more likely to see a landing page.
But go to a different device, clear all cookies and visit your domain parked at Dan without typing in the 'www'. So type in YOURDOMAIN.COM in the browser and see if it resolves.

•••
The reason is that when you set up nameservers, the DNS resolver of your network (such as Google, Cloudflare, or your ISP) affects how long it takes for the domain DNS changes to apply. Sometimes, it may not apply correctly at all. DNS propagation can take up to 48 hours, and during this time, different DNS resolvers may still have the old information cached. Additionally, clearing your browser cache and DNS cache on your device can help ensure that you are seeing the most recent DNS information.

•••
I'm referring to domains that have been on Dan's servers for months.
Not just ones that don't resolve within the first day or two.
Some websites are not setup to properly resolve all visitors to a domain - one's who type the www, visitors who don't type the www. I think Dan might not be setup to resolve for all visitors

•••
•••
•••
Even with the Afternic Dan Landers, some domains showed the "not secure" message, while others were fine. I didn't bother checking other browsers. What's important me is having the landers readily visible in all browsers.

So, for now, I've decided that the bottom line is that if I type in a domain name and see the lander, keep it. If I don't, switch to a lander that does show. Whether one has to type in www, clear DNS or browser caches, or switch browsers should be of no concern.

So I switched back to Dynadot landers, with the problem now solved.

Hopefully Dan promptly fixes the landers issues raised.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back