Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just wondering what the general thoughts are about whether the recent trend to legalize marijuana will boost the prices of pot-related domains?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have been putting together a huge spreadsheet of sales across multiple platforms with Hemp, Cannabis, Canna, CBD, Marijuana (and MJ), Pot, Leaf, and a few others. I am going back as far as 5 years and tracking trends (that's what I do in my real life). I have over 300 sales tracked. Cannabis is leading on ave price when it works, Canna is following, Hemp, CBD and Leaf are starting to pick up steam. The sales are all over the board, especially when you factor in Godaddy auctions however there are some clear averages for words and word combos starting to pop up as the volume of sale increase. Once I have it in a more user-friendly format I will share it. In the meantime, for the big spender of the grou TheHemp .com is at auction right now with a current bid of $1567 with 4 days left.
all of this is super interesting ! would be great to see when u have it all dialed in.
IMO i just cant see listing any of my Top .coms this early on into the game. Just see such a strong future with CBD listings "if their targeted" the right way. Heck. People really have gone on a tear over the past month registering AnythinG remotely close to the industry.
Some of the numbers for 2025 CBD growth are threw the roof ! It's going to be an exciting ride. Im on a Hold for now. It just seems like the way to ride this wave out ? Again im as New as they get but i have some EMD Cbd.coms that should really do me well , if i play the right. Im coming in hot , permission to buzz the tower..

•••
I've wondered are these sales domain brokers ( Kieth ). Or end users.

I'm on the $8 tier. And the well runneth dry for me ( bought everything 3 years ago or more in most cases ) . Let the games begin :)

Sounding old here, I remember hearing canna brands. And was like hmmm Canna. Bought up Leaf. Opps. Should have bought both, oh well. Still have a bunch of canna, CBD, and hemp though.

Last week the New York Times article referenced the California market was %3 established, and %97 under development. Akin to Probation in its early stages. Plus medical.

Only Missouri has medical testing, and research going on. And very limited.

Michigan, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine all at the beginnings Of a theoretically unlimited rollout.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for your time and efforts. Looking forward to seeing the list once completed.

The Hemp expired auction has been fun to keep an eye on. It will be interesting to see where it finally closes...especially being domainers bidding against one another...IMO.
I think most all of the GD auctions are domainers bidding against each other. It isn't very common to see such a high price with 4 days left. Someone(s) really wants that name :)

As far as all the work, it is a mess out there to follow everything because as great as Name Bio and some others are they don't seem to have everything in one place and weeding through stuff that doesn't go is a pain. Especially with Pot - The analytics for it are way off because you have flower pot, nettie pot, insta pot, and all those that don't apply you have to take out.

•••
bargainherb.com
thoughts?
Also looking to buy cannabis related domains. Only looking for com/co.uk/uk so feel free to spam my inbox.

•••
I think most all of the GD auctions are domainers bidding against each other. It isn't very common to see such a high price with 4 days left. Someone(s) really wants that name :)

As far as all the work, it is a mess out there to follow everything because as great as Name Bio and some others are they don't seem to have everything in one place and weeding through stuff that doesn't go is a pain. Especially with Pot - The analytics for it are way off because you have flower pot, nettie pot, insta pot, and all those that don't apply you have to take out.

Agreed. Unfortunately, it seems most namebio listings are expired auctions, where other domainers bid each other up for expired names, which is not indicative of true market value. Unless, of course, a seller's target audience is to be other domainers.

Sadly, domainers often spend far more through expired auctions compared to what they normally would have spent by simply reaching out to a fellow domainer to acquire the same name. Equally so, some domainers are less likely to sell, or accept a lower offer for, a name to make a good sale, resulting in the name often times expiring, and they end up making nothing.

Kind of a cat and mouse dance domainers play with one another...IMO.

•••
love the idea Taylor, thanks for pointing out the current bid on thehemp
seems to set the standard for us.

•••
love the idea Taylor, thanks for pointing out the current bid on thehemp
seems to set the standard for us.
Hemper sold in May 2018 for $36,150 - I sure hope that sets an average :) However, more reflective is things like; Ultra Hemp sold the same month for $3k and USHemp sold for $3511 and Got Hemp sold for $4050 in March which is closer to the norm! I will throw in Hemp Cola for $2700 in June because one of our members sold it :)

•••
Agreed. Unfortunately, it seems most namebio listings are expired auctions, where other domainers bid each other up for expired names, which is not indicative of true market value. Unless, of course, a seller's target audience is to be other domainers.

Sadly, domainers often spend far more through expired auctions compared to what they normally would have spent by simply reaching out to a fellow domainer to acquire the same name. Equally so, some domainers are less likely to sell, or accept a lower offer for, a name to make a good sale, resulting in the name often times expiring, and they end up making nothing.

Kind of a cat and mouse dance domainers play with one another...IMO.
That is what I have found on Name Bio. I know that most of my GD auction purchases make their list yet I know of other sales on other sites that are not there which are typically a lot more. It is a good starting point but I do always look at it more as an indication of what the domainers are buying who sadly once a word gains popularity is typically too late and started to be squatted on so I usually go the other way then. 😁

•••
@Taylor Raye and any others that might verify this..Now my understanding is that recently Godaddy been keeping their recent sales to themselves..since their appraisail tool became popular.

If that is true..that would make namesbio results different?

P.s thanks for your information and expertise!

•••
@Taylor Raye and any others that might verify this..Now my understanding is that recently Godaddy been keeping their recent sales to themselves..since their appraisail tool became popular.

If that is true..that would make namesbio results different?

P.s thanks for your information and expertise!
I don't think so. I think that Name Bio only lists things that sell for over $100 so a TON of the GD stuff never makes the list. All of the stuff I buy for more than $100 ends up on the list. For example I bought Leaf and Bud for $101 and it is on the list but I also bought MiamiLeaf for $11 and ChicagoLeaf for $8 and LeafAngeles for $5 which never made the list. When I sell them they will make a list though :)

Last edited:
•••
And honestly, I think Leaf Angeles which I paid the least for will sell for the most! Another thing to note about Name Bio is that they post what the auction closed for an not the actual purchase price. For example; American Hempire - Bids showed it closing at $348 however the bidder never paid for it and bidder #2 never paid for it after the bounce and I was bidder 3 and the actual sale price to me was $15. It goes PERFECT with my Cannabis Hempire (pd $9 in 8/18) and Hempire Life (paid $11 last month) so I was grateful. I have numerous other examples so it is hard to base prices off of Name Bio sadly :(

•••
5B0ECBF7-0122-43A4-A5AD-FF256D6D54E0.jpeg

I chose to Focus on CBD Health related "topics" directly. Short and to the point. It was just my natural thought process to go with what was and is just starting to trend as CBD related Topics. As a NOOB im not sure if my direct aim is going to pay off ? Only time will tell. But i feel good about the business decisions i chose to make.

Last edited:
•••
Again I just tried Simple.
Soda was obviously taken. So I moved into the Diet zone.
Hopefully my NOOB skills pay off at some point in the future. I have some really rad Brandables as well but not knowing up from down in this game , i went with KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid.
A6873184-188E-4420-B522-2903E8934C76.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
•••
And honestly, I think Leaf Angeles which I paid the least for will sell for the most! Another thing to note about Name Bio is that they post what the auction closed for an not the actual purchase price. For example; American Hempire - Bids showed it closing at $348 however the bidder never paid for it and bidder #2 never paid for it after the bounce and I was bidder 3 and the actual sale price to me was $15. It goes PERFECT with my Cannabis Hempire (pd $9 in 8/18) and Hempire Life (paid $11 last month) so I was grateful. I have numerous other examples so it is hard to base prices off of Name Bio sadly :(

Until recently domain owners could renew domains at GD after the end of the auction, and so the closing price of a lot of GD auctions before a certain date as reported on Namebio are a fiction, because the domain did not sell. Many think domain owners did this to test the market or put a floor price under any future sale of the domain.

Also some sale prices are driven by the value of the links to a pre-owned domain, not the keywords in it.

•••
Until recently domain owners could renew domains at GD after the end of the auction, and so the closing price of a lot of GD auctions before a certain date as reported on Namebio are a fiction, because the domain did not sell. Many think domain owners did this to test the market or put a floor price under any future sale of the domain.

Also some sale prices are driven by the value of the links to a pre-owned domain, not the keywords in it.
Still happens at Dynadot expired

•••
I just noticed Clickcbd.co.uk
Click, buy, delivered. Nice concept!

•••
•••
That is what I have found on Name Bio. I know that most of my GD auction purchases make their list yet I know of other sales on other sites that are not there which are typically a lot more. It is a good starting point but I do always look at it more as an indication of what the domainers are buying who sadly once a word gains popularity is typically too late and started to be squatted on so I usually go the other way then. 😁
Keep in mind all the private sales that far outweigh the expired auctions in terms of getting top dollar.

For me these are the best sellers and get most offers -
CBD
Canna
Hemp

The others fail in comparison.

•••
Keep in mind all the private sales that far outweigh the expired auctions in terms of getting top dollar.

For me these are the best sellers and get most offers -
CBD
Canna
Hemp

The others fail in comparison.
I have definitely sold the top 3. I don't think i have sold any 420s.
I agree that those are the best sellers.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
I guess we've run out of decent unregged cannabis related domains. Domainers are going for 3-worders now, not that I'm gonna ride that wave.

It is holding time for me now as more states/countries are planning to legalize. Of course, I would still sell if I "have an offer that I can't refuse". Would I be able to hold for a couple of years though? All depends on how you guys are going to price your domains. I wish we can all agree to stick with VERY HIGH prices so that we can establish a solid base.

Only managed to secure 6 domains in this niche considering the minimal budget that I started with. 4 two-worders and 2 made-ups. 5 of them are handregs and 1 from closeouts. All in .COM. Would be interesting to know your cannabis domains count.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back