IT.COM

Should I buy .com of an existing .net website / business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

1domain

Established Member
Impact
Hello friends!

I am subscribed to a service that sends me list of dropped / deleted domain names daily. I have been observing that many a times the list includes .com domain names of which .net version are already being used by a business / website.

For example business123.com is dropped and available for hand register, business123.net is an existing business/website somewhere in the world.

Should I register these .com names and later reach the businesses offering them the .com version of their domain name? I seek your guidance on this.

Kindly guide.
Thank you

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi!

Any ideas / comments? Anyone.

I have a feel that this may not be a good practice however I have no real idea. Sorry if my question is unusual or odd.

Thanks

•••
Yes this is totally valid way of selling domains.
Just keep in mind that the domain name is not Trademarked by the existing business/website. In case of TM's, dont register the domains. In other cases you can register and sell the name to the dot net owners. There is 50% chance that those dot net owner will buy the domains

Just MO

•••
I am not an experienced domainer in any way so I will try to think logically.

This particular area is very tricky from what I've seen. It hides quite a lot of risks, the main one being the trademark rights. Even when doing your research you might miss something and when you start giving your offers to the .net owners it might be a little too late - they now have a valid ground to prove you are acting "in bad faith" and use that if they decide to pursue the domain.

That being said there are many specific laws I might not be acquainted with, I am familiar only with the important basics in the ICANN rules. Some people still do it so logically there might be profit to be made there. Its just that you have to be very very careful with this approach.

•••
yogiDomain , Rado_Ch

Thank you very much for your replies, your comments are very helpful. I request more members to shed some light on the topic.

Many thanks

•••
I would look into how much the .net is actually used. Just because they have a domain does not mean they are very invested in it. The more invested in the .net they are the more valuable the .com would likely be to them. Don't forget that if they are not willing to buy it for a nice coin, you can always offer it to them for almost no profit closer to when the domain expires to get your money back.

•••
... mmmm ... I think buying a .net or what ever as alternative to your .com is considered TM protection ... And ... getting .net or whatever to an existing .com might put you in red line with the .com TM owning rights ...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back