Domain Empire

advice Should I be worried?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

blast

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

I have a question. Should I be worried about not receiving a domain transferred that I initiated from another registrar. Ok, so I bought a domain and we used escrow to do the transaction. Everything went well, I got the auth code and paid for the transfer of the name to my registrar GoDaddy. Usually you wait to the name to be in your account so you can release the funds, I haven't gotten the name in my account yet and escrow sent me an email saying it has released the funds to the seller. Escrow sent me an email with my whois info.

The question is, once I initiated the transfer can it be reversed? Also, am I supposed to received a confirmation email saying that there is a transfer that needs approval? Lastly, how long does it take to complete the transfer from the other registrar to GoDaddy?

Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Those are questions to ask the losing registrar.

•••
It's all about documentation, if you pay for something get a bill of sale and mark on your payment what it is for.

Example: PayPal

I buy something I clearly mark what I am paying for.

I sell something I clearly mark what I am charging for and that there is NO refund.
The no refund part has saved my Canadian Bacon a few times. Paypal sees that and usually takes your side regardless of what the buyer says.

Documentation saves butts.... no buts about it.

PS. Sometimes GoDaddy is a little slow so I would not be worried yet.
Unless the transfer was made godaddy to godaddy then it should be very fast and I would be concerned.

Last edited:
•••
No it wasn't godaddy to godaddy. and yeah, I have the documentation, but once payment is done to the seller through paypal (escrow), how do you go about proving or reclaiming to paypal?

•••
so what is WHOIS showing right now - your details and Godaddy as a registrar?

•••
It takes 5 days or so for a registrar transfer. Is it more than 5 days?

The other odd thing is that your escrow company shouldn't have released funds until the name was within your control. Which escrow company was involved?

•••
I used escrow.com. It said something about inspection period which was 1 day. After that received an email saying inspection period expired and funds transferred to the seller. The whois information remains private.

•••
Escrow seem to have been getting some bad press recently. I think you need to contact them, and ask them why they released the funds before you had confirmed receipt of the name.

•••
I used escrow.com. It said something about inspection period which was 1 day. After that received an email saying inspection period expired and funds transferred to the seller. The whois information remains private.

is domain at Godaddy or still with the losing (seller's) registrar?
what the transfer status is Godaddy showing in your panel?

•••
Transfer into GoDaddy takes around 7 days. Could go through in 6 too. But 7 is the wait time ideally.

To be sure, have a word with GoDaddy executive too. I think your domain is safe unless it's 7 days past.

•••
Transfer into GoDaddy takes around 7 days. Could go through in 6 too. But 7 is the wait time ideally.

To be sure, have a word with GoDaddy executive too. I think your domain is safe unless it's 7 days past.

escrow should of not released the funds until the name is with gaining registrar and is showing buyer's WHOIS. no matter how long the transfer takes..

if the names goes under privacy they normally will not release funds unless a buyer confirms the ownership. i had this sort of situation recently..

•••
Exactly what I was thinking, I'm beginning to think I lost my money and got scam.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Exactly what I was thinking, I'm beginning to think I lost my money and got scam.

not necessarily but i would contact escrow asap.
tell them you have not received the name.
they will deal with that.

where is the name now - Godaddy or another registrar?

•••
Another registrar, the seller.

•••
Plus, I didn't set up escrow the seller did.

•••
Another registrar, the seller.

contact escrow.
it can be a technical glitch too.
they are an established and reputed co so i'm sure they'll take care of this,
they have means to verify that the name was not transferred to the buyer/you

Plus, I didn't set up escrow the seller did.

doesn't matter.
can you see what was the method of ownership change the seller opted for - transfer or acc change - in your escrow transaction panel?

•••
•••
Have you checked status in your GD-panel (transfer-in)? You must approve transfer there

•••
Yes, I checked and it says pending transfer-in.

•••
It also says 'We're verifying your domain information. Please check back in a few minutes.'

•••
•••
it says push

so you agreed for push not transfer to change the ownership... why did you request a transfer then?

there's a possible scenario: seller opened a second acc with their current registrar using your details, pushed the name there, emailed escrow that the transfer completed, escrow checked WHOIS, saw your details, inspection is over, money sent, seller put the name under privacy...

•••
it says push

I did not see that??

there's a possible scenario: seller opened a second acc with their current registrar using your details, pushed the name there, emailed escrow that the transfer completed, escrow checked WHOIS, saw your details, inspection is over, money sent, seller put the name under privacy...

If that's the case then contact escrow asap!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back