IT.COM

advice Should I be worried?

NameSilo
Watch

blast

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

I have a question. Should I be worried about not receiving a domain transferred that I initiated from another registrar. Ok, so I bought a domain and we used escrow to do the transaction. Everything went well, I got the auth code and paid for the transfer of the name to my registrar GoDaddy. Usually you wait to the name to be in your account so you can release the funds, I haven't gotten the name in my account yet and escrow sent me an email saying it has released the funds to the seller. Escrow sent me an email with my whois info.

The question is, once I initiated the transfer can it be reversed? Also, am I supposed to received a confirmation email saying that there is a transfer that needs approval? Lastly, how long does it take to complete the transfer from the other registrar to GoDaddy?

Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I already contacted escrow. No response yet. I did a transfer since he sent the auth code for the transfer instead of the push and plus it was in a random registrar that I don't know.

•••
Could be slow transfer sometimes they can take 9 days.

•••
I already contacted escrow. No response yet. I did a transfer since he sent the auth code for the transfer instead of the push and plus it was in a random registrar that I don't know.

Ok, when it's probably on its way to you GD account

•••
I think you just need to relax for now. Things seem to be under control till GoDaddy panel shows Status 'In Progress'.

•••
Im going to wait a few days to see if the transfer completes but its been two days already since I initiated the transfer.

•••
is it a liquid/Chinese name btw?
is the former registrar/registrant in China?

i mean this kind of scam (if that was a scam not an error of some sort) only makes sense with liquid names. imo..

Could be slow transfer sometimes they can take 9 days.

escrow would not have released the funds without seeing buyer's details in WHOIS or have the buyer confirmation that the name is received. neither of which happened..

since the buyer has not got control over the name as of yet his details could only be faked by the seller. or escrow made a mistake... we all humans, they might have mixed up seller and buyer details, for instance. and pushed "send money" button..

I think you just need to relax for now. Things seem to be under control till GoDaddy panel shows Status 'In Progress'.

status "in progress" means nothing. unless a seller or buyer cancels a transfer it can be in progress forever. this usually means they are retrieving current registrant email, sending him confirmation email and waiting for his approval, which may never happen if a seller is trying to scam you..

•••
Im going to wait a few days to see if the transfer completes but its been two days already since I initiated the transfer.

As others in the thread have said, the transfer will probably take between 5 and 7 days - If you got the aut code, I do not think it's a scam

Last edited:
•••
escrow would not have released the funds without seeing buyer's details in WHOIS or have the buyer confirmation that the name is received. neither of which happened..

since the buyer has not got control over the name as of yet his details could only be faked by the seller. or escrow made a mistake... we all humans, they might have mixed up seller and buyer details, for instance. and pushed "send money" button..

status "in progress" means nothing. unless a seller or buyer cancels a transfer it can be in progress forever. this usually means they are retrieving current registrant email, sending him confirmation email and waiting for his approval, which may never happen if a seller is trying to scam you..

I think they can do that try to fake the information, get the funds and later cancel the transfer since they need to approve before the name transfers via email.

•••

did you receive "Inspection period has started" and "Inspection period has ended" sort of email from escrow?
here's an example from one of my sales:

====

Hello,

The transfer of the domain for this transaction appears complete, and your inspection period has been started. The current registrant information is below.

Please be sure that you have complete control of the domain(s). Complete control may include obtaining username, password, and/or an authorization code. Once you determine your complete control of the domain please log on to our website to update the status to `accepted` or `declined` as applicable.

Important: If you do not have complete control of the domain please contact Escrow.com immediately as the inspection period has been started.

If we may be of assistance in any way please let us know. Thank you for using Escrow.com.

===

As others in the thread have said, the transfer will probably take between 5 and 7 days - If you got the aut code, I do not think it's a scam

transfer code does not ensure a transfer. seller can cancel a transfer and lock a name back at any time during 5-7 days as per his registrar policy

--

what's the transaction amount?

Last edited:
•••
This is absolutely insane. You can demand your money from escrow service. They messed up really bad. They should of NEVER released the money until they are 100% sure you got the name.

•••
transfer code does not ensure a transfer. a seller still needs to approve it even if a buyer has a code. and he can ignore approval email and lock a name back at any time..

Maybe you're right that it's a scam and I also agree that escrow should not have released the funds to the seller, but the tranfer is only 2 days old so it's impossible to predict if it's one or the other, but I have never heard of cases where someone have been scamed ithis way

•••
Maybe you're right that it's a scam and I also agree that escrow should not have released the funds to the seller, but the tranfer is only 2 days old so it's impossible to predict if it's one or the other, but I have never heard of cases where someone have been scamed ithis way

i too hope it's not a scam... errors happen...
anyway i believe escrow will refund the buyer if this is the case

•••
•••
So, Im in contact with the support at escrow and they said the name was pushed but that I need to contact my registrar. My thinking hasn't change, I still think I got scammed.

•••
did you receive "Inspection period has started" and "Inspection period has ended" sort of email from escrow?
here's an example from one of my sales:

====

Hello,

The transfer of the domain for this transaction appears complete, and your inspection period has been started. The current registrant information is below.

Please be sure that you have complete control of the domain(s). Complete control may include obtaining username, password, and/or an authorization code. Once you determine your complete control of the domain please log on to our website to update the status to `accepted` or `declined` as applicable.

Important: If you do not have complete control of the domain please contact Escrow.com immediately as the inspection period has been started.

If we may be of assistance in any way please let us know. Thank you for using Escrow.com.

===

transfer code does not ensure a transfer. seller can cancel a transfer and lock a name back at any time during 5-7 days as per his registrar policy

--

what's the transaction amount?

Yes, I did received that email.

•••
Yes, I did received that email.

meaning they were seeing your details in Whois
... l'm lost at how is that all possible

•••
I don't understand this inspection period nonsense. Either you have got the name, or you haven't. If you haven't, then they shouldn't release funds. What happens if you go away for the weekend, and that happens to coincide with their stupid inspection period?

This has convinced me - I will never use escrow.com again NEVER EVER!

There seem to be people who take over good companies just to rip off the customers. I remember that Smutserver was a good free adult hosting company until they were bought out, and the new owner set about stealing customers traffic. PayPal is another example - look what Ebay did to that when they bought it.

•••
Yeah, I don't know honestly.

•••
I can't remember the earlier part of this thread, but just as a thought, are you sure that it really is escrow.com that you are contacting, and not some clever clone site.

•••
So, Im in contact with the support at escrow and they said the name was pushed but that I need to contact my registrar.

Escrow asked you to contact GoDaddy?

•••
Yes, escrow.com and yes, they did said to contact my registrar.

•••
I think 4pm is right, this is probably an error (funds released before you got the domain)

Relax, don't panic, transfers can take several days to complete. I think you will get the domain. Are you in contact with the seller?

•••
•••
I used escrow.com. It said something about inspection period which was 1 day. After that received an email saying inspection period expired and funds transferred to the seller. The whois information remains private.

but you said escrow sent you email with your whois info no?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back