Dynadot

advice Should I be worried?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

blast

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

I have a question. Should I be worried about not receiving a domain transferred that I initiated from another registrar. Ok, so I bought a domain and we used escrow to do the transaction. Everything went well, I got the auth code and paid for the transfer of the name to my registrar GoDaddy. Usually you wait to the name to be in your account so you can release the funds, I haven't gotten the name in my account yet and escrow sent me an email saying it has released the funds to the seller. Escrow sent me an email with my whois info.

The question is, once I initiated the transfer can it be reversed? Also, am I supposed to received a confirmation email saying that there is a transfer that needs approval? Lastly, how long does it take to complete the transfer from the other registrar to GoDaddy?

Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's correct.

so what would you reply to the other guy who askd you if whois is showing your name+gd registrar?

•••
Always take a while, don't worry.

Unless it is a push within same registrar, but even that is not instantaneous.

•••
Ok, I contacted GoDaddy and they told to just wait because it's going through their system. So, I guess it's the long way route.

•••
Definitely with a push would be have been much easier.

•••
I think this is a scam also. I think a 2nd account was made at the original register with the Op's name and the domain was pushed there and then covered up with privacy.

I would ask Escrow.com for proof that they have seen the domain in your account. Don't mention GoDaddy. Just ask for their proof.

A transfer usually takes 5-7 days. Very occasionally, more. But I wouldn't hold your breath. I'd be all over Escrow.com asking for their proof. And take it from there.

How much did you lose?

Last edited:
•••
I asked for proof haven't received no email back from Escrow.

Last edited:
•••
Typically with a push Escrow would have to have seen some verifiable proof of push or exchange.

You said GD has confirmed that it is going through their system, it is likely that the "WhoIs" verification is the issue. The party pushing the domain may have to click on one of those eMails required by ICANN to verify the account change action.

This is the only reason I can think of why a push has not been completed.

Either you have to accept the transfer in, or they have some eMails to open and click the confirmation buttons/links.

Honestly, this seems like much ado about nothing resulting from a procedural error from the seller.

•••
•••
I would badger them saying it is urgent.

Already did that. At this point I have talked with 4 different people from Escrow they all say basically the same thing, contact your registrar and that the transactions needs to be handle between buyer and seller. Not much of a help if Im being honest.

•••
Honestly, this seems like much ado about nothing resulting from a procedural error from the seller.

I don't think a push to another account at the current registrar is just a procedural error from the seller. They may have used the wrong language by calling it a push. But I think it has been pushed to another account at the same registrar (as the seller has said). Escrow has seen the whois record and paid out, and then the seller has added privacy to the domain. Which is why I think getting escrow's proof is of utmost importance.

•••
I ask for proof and nothing. Told them exactly what you just stated and nothing. They keep saying the same thing over and over just with different words.

•••
Already did that. At this point I have talked with 4 different people from Escrow they all say basically the same thing, contact your registrar and that the transactions needs to be handle between buyer and seller. Not much of a help if Im being honest.

I would tell them you need the proof of change of ownership. Because in your humble opinion, there has never been a change of ownership for this domain and that escrow have paid out prematurely.

•••
Some registrars will not accept a transfer request to a whois under privacy - your transfer request may fail in that case and you may not even know it has.

It is possible to get scammed on Escrow.com the way people have described here - seller keeps domain but puts buyer's info in Whois, Escrow.com sees that and takes it as their normal proof that buyer has received domain. To have Escrow.com actually provide true escrow, ie themselves take possession of the name as an intermediary, you have to pay more for that extra service.

No way would I sit around waiting for a transfer that may not be happening. Also your payment method may influence your chances of getting a refund.

•••
No way would I sit around waiting for a transfer that may not be happening. Also your payment method may influence your chances of getting a refund.

I agree absolutely. I wouldn't listen to any advice here about waiting even half a day. You need to get this resolved, asap, with Escrow.com, not your registrar.

I'd even ask escrow.com how you file a dispute for wrongful payment to the seller

Last edited:
•••
I think you just need to relax for now. Things seem to be under control till GoDaddy panel shows Status 'In Progress'.
I actually disagree. The biggest concern is why the hell and how did Escrow release the funds? If the op is looking at the latest updated whois info, then the domain is still at the previous registrar and he has not marked the domain as received. So how did the transaction go into the inspection period and how and why did escrow release the funds?

That is definitely not in control and not how it is supposed to happen. Extremely concerning.

•••
As others in the thread have said, the transfer will probably take between 5 and 7 days - If you got the aut code, I do not think it's a scam
I can send you an auth code and not unlock the domain or I can send you an auth code and (At some registrars) reset the auth code so that the old one becomes invalid. Disingenuous but I can also provide you with a totally made up auth code. All of these mean nothing and are absolutely no guarantees against getting scammed

•••
I can send you an auth code and not unlock the domain or I can send you an auth code and (At some registrars) reset the auth code so that the old one becomes invalid. Disingenuous but I can also provide you with a totally made up auth code. All of these mean nothing and are absolutely no guarantees against getting scammed

And what's more in most cases the registrar tells the original registrant the transfer will proceed after five days if the original registrant does not object - so on day 5 original registrant can still cancel the transfer.

By the way, the emails with links to click to approve or accept transfers are known to end up in spam folders, happened to me just this week with a transfer that mysteriously was not progressing.

Last edited:
•••
And what's more in most cases the registrar tells the original registrant the transfer will proceed after five days if the original registrant does not object - so on day 5 original registrant can still cancel the transfer.

True. Also possible - not approve or reject the transfer which will then fail after the full 5 day waiting period

•••
•••
@4pm thanks for the tag.
I just had a chance to talk to @blast , TLDR we continue to hold his funds awaiting his confirmation to release them.

The email Blast received was a pending release notice. We use these to follow up on a transaction where the Seller has shown us that they have pushed the domain, but the Buyer has not logged in to accept the domain yet. We want to make sure our Sellers get paid quickly, so our Support team follow up Buyers regularly to make sure they don't forget to log in and Accept.

The email says:
"Please reply to this email confirming your complete control of the domain name(s) so that we can finalize this transaction."

The Support team noted Blast's email this morning and marked the funds as not ready to go out yet. As soon as he receives the domain, he'll log in to Escrow.com and mark it as "Accepted" so we can release the funds to the Seller.

Jackson Elsegood

•••
Just talked to @Jackson Elsegood and someone at Escrow. Thanks guys for all the help. Apparently I didn't get that last email but thanks anyways.

•••
Just talked to @Jackson Elsegood and someone at Escrow. Thanks guys for all the help. Apparently I didn't get that last email but thanks anyways.

So just as long as escrow.com have not released the funds. That is good. You did say categorically that they had released the funds. Which caused all this urgency. But it seems they will wait (without any time limit) for your approval of receipt of this domain. Then I think you can probably wait for the transfer to complete. Before approving the payment. It takes about 5-7 days tp transfer a domain. You should also remember, as far as I can recall, that transfers into GoDaddy, keep the original whois info. You will need to correct the whois to your own. And then GoDaddy wait for both parties to approve the whois changes (at least for a push).

•••
Some registrars - Godaddy is one - will let the sender (original registrant) of an outgoing transfer click a button to approve immediate transfer once all the other steps are complete. At GD this means the domain can leave there and be at another registrar in 15 minutes - I have done that several times. So if the registrar the domain is coming from allows that and the registrant clicks that button there, the domain will arrive fast and you can approve payment.

•••
So, in fact it looks as if this could be a normal transfer with standard delays. Alternatively, it could be a scam, but Escrow is protecting the purchaser.

•••
The party pushing the domain may have to click on one of those eMails

The email says:
"Please reply to this email confirming your complete control of the domain name(s) so that we can finalize this transaction."

procedural error from the buyer... :xf.rolleyes:

Everyone is so quick to blame a service when 99% of the time it's a noob mistake from an inexperienced buyer or seller.

Escrow has always been professional, quick, and helpful - even when I had to verify my account after being an active member for years :xf.confused:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back