Dynadot

discuss Share your interesting domain negotiations...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

w3names

Established Member
Impact
Several times over the years I've had negotiations where the buyer feels entitled (or think they're being clever) and either:

- essentially asks that you to give them the domain for free because they have an "idea", or
- gets angry because the domain is not available at the very low price they want to pay

Here's the latest one for me on Sedo:

Buyer: Dear owner of example.com, please dont get me wrong but nobody will ever buy this domain at 4.999$ and i am sorry that this is not affordable to me either. Please consider to give away your domain to me for a good reason: I am an affiliate marketing professional that seeks to make example.com the center of my worklife and it would be my greatest pleasure to grow this domain into a profitable company. Please think about being generous and do good by letting me project this precious piece of cyberspace that you have protected for some time. Thank you

Me: Alternatively, you can make a serious 4-figure offer. Best wishes.

What interesting sale negotiations have you had?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would not have been so kind...lol

•••
I had one with a guy who couldn't understand why someone previously paid 4 figures for a domain I own. He offered $500 max saying that's a generous amount. I said no way.

Now I am taking that name and developing it into a business. He should have bought it when he had the chance. I bet he went with some crappy secondary option that will just end up giving me more traffic :xf.laugh: .

•••
Recently I got an inquiry for one of my domain.

Inquirer:
Hello,
A few days ago you reregistered XXXXXXX.com, a domain we’ve owned since 2001.
Please be a gentleman and return the domain to its rightful owner.

ME:
I responded with my usual response and quoted price.

Inquirer:
Just keep it - no interest.
We will take other actions.
People like you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Doing business exploiting loops in the system verges on outright fraud, and you sir are a common criminal.
May your house burn and your children be born with incurable diseases.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

That's pretty poor behavior.

•••
Recently I got an inquiry for one of my domain.

Inquirer:
Hello,
A few days ago you reregistered XXXXXXX.com, a domain we’ve owned since 2001.
Please be a gentleman and return the domain to its rightful owner.

ME:
I responded with my usual response and quoted price.

Inquirer:
Just keep it - no interest.
We will take other actions.
People like you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Doing business exploiting loops in the system verges on outright fraud, and you sir are a common criminal.
May your house burn and your children be born with incurable diseases.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

That's pretty poor behavior.

Dear @AbdulBasit.com, Sone people are lazy and bunch of idiots so do not pay attention to what they say and just ignore their messages. Had the domain been so important to them they should have not let it expire. All the best, May this domain sell for high xxxxx figures ;D

Last edited:
•••
How about this one:
About a year ago I had a fairly good .io domain on my own domain sales website with its own lander - posted as a "Make Offer" - one morning I get an email saying there is a $1500 offer for the domain (much more than I thought it was worth). I wait a day, then send back an offer acceptance with payment instructions, he pays, I transfer the domain and thank him for his business. He then sends an email saying he thinks he might have paid too much for the domain. I thought about it for a bit, then responded, saying I thought his offer was in the lower range of what I was looking for. He thanked me back ... domain still is not developed, have no idea what he wanted it for!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back