Domain Empire

Selling reputation for $100

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
I made an offer $1,000 on 2 domains and the seller accepted my offer.
He sent me his paypal email and asked me to pay.
I said I am on the road and I will pay when I get home. He said OK.

15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names to someone for $1,100 because he needs more money.

So technically he sold his reputation for $100. I even offer $1,000 Mass Pay so he would net $1,000 even.
Is this the way you conduct a business? I told him he needs to refund the money to the buyer and sell the names to me as we agreed, The reason he needs money has nothing to do with the agreement for the transaction.

I am not desperately needed the names but I feel like I am being cheated.

The member is NP member and all the conversation happened in the PM.
I want to give him the last chance to do it right!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This situation could have been completely avoided if the seller had just said, "I received a counter-offer of # amount, would you like to go higher?" If it's within a few days, that would be reasonable. However, if the agreed transaction took place over a longer period such as a month, they should honor the original buyer.

With that said, I've always found it easier to agree to something when I'm 100% sure I won't regret a better deal later. It's business.

It seems like "selling reputation for $100" is a sensationalist title, but I understand OP's frustration.

•••
This situation could have been completely avoided if the seller had just said, "I received a counter-offer of # amount, would you like to go higher?" If it's within a few days, that would be reasonable. However, if the agreed transaction took place over a longer period such as a month, they should honor the original buyer.

With that said, I've always found it easier to agree to something when I'm 100% sure I won't regret a better deal later. It's business.

It seems like "selling reputation for $100" is a sensationalist title, but I understand OP's frustration.
I don't think the situation would be avoided in the way you say. I you received an offer and agreed to it, you just can't consider other offers. You can't ask the buyer to increase his offer if you already accepted his first one.

•••
I don't think the situation would be avoided in the way you say. I you received an offer and agreed to it, you just can't consider other offers. You can't ask the buyer to increase his offer if you already accepted his first one.
It's just like buying any other product or service. For example, in real estate a sale doesn't have go through after an accepted offer. That's what the contracts are used for.

•••
It's just like buying any other product or service. For example, in real estate a sale doesn't have go through after an accepted offer. That's what the contracts are used for.
Nice to know your position on this subject. I'll remember to request a signed contract if we ever happen to have a transaction.

•••
Nice to know your position on this subject. I'll remember to request a signed contract if we ever happen to have a transaction.
Or simply send the payment directly, huh?

•••
I think I clearly stated my personal position on the previous post before that one.

•••
Can you share the PMs exchanged. It will shed light on what some may just be speculating about.

Perhaps sharing any conditions you gave with your offer? Like "offer valid for the next hour(s)?- but not paying in that very time-frame? Tone of messages while negotiating?

Indeed, an agreement is an agreement.

But not sharing the PMs, is not giving the full picture and you've created a thread about it...

•••
PM means Private Message and I respect that.
I already sent him the link of this thread so he can tell his side of the story if he wanted too.

All the details are in the first post.

•••
PM means Private Message and I respect that.
I already sent him the link of this thread so he can tell his side of the story if he wanted too.

All the details are in the first post.

So you think, as a moderator, the best approach to handle this silly dispute is to point out a thread that you did not once post in and complain about something that happened in private as if it's a public matter in its own dedicated thread? And when details are asked for say it's a private matter and you respect privacy?

The thread you linked to was a "make offer" thread - and it has no relevance at all to what happened in private. It may have had you posted (deal made or etc). I can't tell you the number of ways people abuse that thread (even reputable members) so it's not exactly a strong argument for anything. All you have is an alleged gentlemen's agreement over the pm system on a transaction you couldn't complete in what was deemed a timely enough manner.

You got gazumped. End of story. There's really nothing illegal, unethical, immoral about it. It's annoying as f&ck but that's about it.

•••
There's really nothing illegal, unethical, immoral about it. It's annoying as f&ck but that's about it.
Sorry but an email/pm is a legally-binding agreement in most of the cases. So, yes, I suppose not honouring a deal agreed by email is illegal, unethical and immoral.

•••
mg.png

•••

15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names to someone for $1,100 because he needs more money.

So technically he sold his reputation for $100. I even offer $1,000 Mass Pay so he would net $1,000 even.
Is this the way you conduct a business? I told him he needs to refund the money to the buyer and sell the names to me as we agreed, The reason he needs money has nothing to do with the agreement for the transaction.

Simple.

Name and shame.

•••
thread that you did not once post in and complain about something that happened in private

Screenshot_20160131-180157.png

It says...
"PLEASE PM ME YOUR OFFER"

What "In thread" message are you seeking?

@DU There was a time when your post and opinions where considered "Contributions" to this community...those days have past.

•••
What about the dude who poached your purchase by offering an extra $100? >:(

Just gotta walk away and let karma sort it out.

Sometimes, one has to give karma a little help.

•••
So you are propagating the idea that to act without integrity, and reverse on your word is ok? That would void every deal that takes place on namepros daily. Writing up contracts is great if you are doing some big sale etc.. But no one is going to court over $100. Here it's accepted as a contract when you give your word. If you post SOLD on a thread(That's your word or contract or agreement to follow through and pay up ), If you clearly agree to a deal(that's your word). That's why there is a feedback section and consequences to membership when someone ignores the rules. Now I'm not sure if namepros have a rule for a deal agreed upon via PM? But either way, integrity is earned.

•••
Sorry but an email/pm is a legally-binding agreement in most of the cases. So, yes, I suppose not honouring a deal agreed by email is illegal, unethical and immoral.

Domainers will continue to believe what they want to believe when it comes to contracts and law.

It says...
"PLEASE PM ME YOUR OFFER"

What "In thread" message are you seeking?

@DU There was a time when your post and opinions where considered "Contributions" to this community...those days have past.

There's a "make offer" thread by PM. Nowhere is there any indication of ANY deal with ANY person. So how is that even relevant? That was the point I was making. The only evidence in this whole thing is in a PM. There is a Trader Rating system that you can use to present your umbrage with a transaction.

I'm sorry that you don't think I contribute. I try to explain that if you want proper contractual and enforceable agreements then create contractual and enforceable agreements. I'll just give up on that front and let the people have what they want which appears to be lynch mobs and threads of discontent and an opportunity to say how great they personally are and that they would never ever ever ever do anything wrong. Righteous indignation makes for so much fun to read about :)

I unsubscribed from this thread so I'm no longer tempted to tell people that sometimes sh&t happens and it's best to move on. No one wins in these threads, everyone loses. It adds discontent, it adds negativity, it adds a lot of needless pontification to something that doesn't need it. Most people here do things right most of the time.... why not create threads about those? Why are we always looking to promote crap to the top? I don't think the guy that did this was right and I'd be pissed - but who cares at this point? it's just sensationalism and breeds ... well... it's not a positive thread is it.

Added:
If you do want to name / shame just do it up front...not the whole "not naming names unless"...and get it over with.

Last edited:
•••
No one wins in these threads, everyone loses. It adds discontent, it adds negativity, it adds a lot of needless pontification to something that doesn't need it. Most people here do things right most of the time.... why not create threads about those? Why are we always looking to promote crap to the top? I don't think the guy that did this was right and I'd be pissed - but who cares at this point? it's just sensationalism and breeds ... well... it's not a positive thread is it.
I understand your position, but I think this time you're wrong. With the Chinese surge, the domain business has accelerated its growth. Namepros has also grown a lot during last year and there are many new members. That is great of course as they bring new ideas and new money to the game, but some of these new members need to learn how to conduct their business properly. They need to know that an ethical and professional behavior is the most important factor to succeed in this business in the long term. And that at least in this forum most of the members expect that kind of behavior and won't accept unethical practices.

Threads like this are not just to bring sensationalism and to complain about seemingly minor problems. On the contrary, I think that this thread and others similar to this are very important at this particular moment.

•••
So you are propagating the idea that to act without integrity, and reverse on your word is ok?

Even in your first sentence, you seem to have missed the point. I didn't say it was "ok" to go back on your word. All I said was that there was a professional way to negotiate an offer. If it's within the same day, the offer is most likely in the negotiation stages. And anyone could try to make a counter-offer. It's up to you as a professional to handle it in a way that gives your trade the respect it deserves. I also stated that it is best to only confirm an offer after you're sure about completing it.

In other words, I'm not saying it's right to disrupt a transaction that you've promised to complete. But there is a more professional way to go about it.

•••
Very disappointing to see so many people think it is acceptable to break a deal that has been mutually agreed-upon.

•••
It's morally and ethically wrong. If he has done commitment to you regarding to those domains, Then he should do trade it with you and should not approach another party while doing a trade deal with you. He just makes bad decision. :|

•••
This is just a classic example of mans greed. I would expect this behaviour from a newby but the fact it's an established member with a few years on the forum makes it worse imo.

•••

I think this depends on how long you said you were "on the road" for...

If it was hours, then yes, he shouldn't have resold them. If, however, it was days or weeks then I think you may have been asking too much from him to wait, as the common presumption is (after you've sold a name) that you attend to the sale quickly.

Cheers,

•••
•••
We feel for you but making an offer to a domainer is only creating interest in the domain. Do your transactions at point of negotiation as buyer you should be ready to rock and roll.

•••
Even though there might not be a legal obligation , there is still an hounor and man's word that needs to be kept. He made the wring choice and even if he actually sold the domains , He could have asked politely if you could add extra $100. I am sure many people might understood and might even add the extra $100.

It is all about your credibility and profesionalism ,not only in this business, but also in any business.

I once posted a very premium domain here for auction and in the same time added a $45 BIN. ... It was suppised to be ,$450/but my keyboard failed and the mi ute I posted the auction , a very famous member here who I knew could even afford the double of $450 posted Sold by BIN.

All that happened less than a minute of me posting the auction. I didnt complain and I sold @ $45. I didny tell him until after months when we were discussing another domain and He asked why I did say what happened.!

I did this because it was my fault if my keyboard failed and never never noticed before I posted and also I had to preserve my reputation.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back