Dynadot

Selling reputation for $100

NameSilo
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
I made an offer $1,000 on 2 domains and the seller accepted my offer.
He sent me his paypal email and asked me to pay.
I said I am on the road and I will pay when I get home. He said OK.

15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names to someone for $1,100 because he needs more money.

So technically he sold his reputation for $100. I even offer $1,000 Mass Pay so he would net $1,000 even.
Is this the way you conduct a business? I told him he needs to refund the money to the buyer and sell the names to me as we agreed, The reason he needs money has nothing to do with the agreement for the transaction.

I am not desperately needed the names but I feel like I am being cheated.

The member is NP member and all the conversation happened in the PM.
I want to give him the last chance to do it right!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's just crazy. Getting a bad reputation as a seller can cost them more in the long run. I am a firm believer that once an offer is accepted then the seller should go through with it.

I had someone that wasn't honoring their prices on domains I won in an auction to me(external auction). All because they got pumped up thinking the domain is worth more because someone said they think it's worth more. I even did an article on my personal blog about one of these happenings. I didn't mention names but he's a member here as well.

In your case since he had the option to decline your offer in the first place but accepted, then he should honor it.

•••
I cant understand how people do business like this, where has professionalism and integrity gone these days

•••
Not good on the part of seller. Atleast 48 hrs non-compete agreement should be there (Ethically)

•••
Nothing wrong here.

You sent the payment to them? No.

They received your payment, another no.

They agreed with another party within more positive reasons and they made an explaination also.

"I told him he needs to refund the money to the buyer and sell the names to me as we agreed,"

They don't have any obligation to do this, even if it's not ethical.

That's all.

Don't be such a poor guy please.

•••
Nothing wrong here.

They agreed with another party within more positive reasons and they made an explaination also.

"I told him he needs to refund the money to the buyer and sell the names to me as we agreed,"

That's all.

There is something called non-compete clause once agreed between the parties involved in the transaction atleast for 48 hrs.

•••
There is something called non-compete clause once agreed between the parties atleast for 48 hrs.

Who did set this rule?

It's almost in PM conversation.

•••
Who did set this rule?

It's almost in PM conversation.

As far as my knowledge goes "Non-compete" is universal.

•••
•••
They agreed on the amount? Yes

They agreed when the payment will be done? Yes

The seller didnt keep his word and sold it to another? Yes - Thats the problem

Do you need rules to know this? No, thats basic, you made an agreement you stick to it, Simple

•••
Nothing wrong here.

They agreed with another party within more positive reasons and they made an explanation also.

That's all.

Agreed. Unless there was a written and executed contract, there is no legal obligation. That's why you don't buy a house on a handshake. There is no obligation, and the deal is never done until the money is in the bank. It's bad form for sure, but that is not a crime. It's a risk, one of many, we run in this business.

I would add that if the deal had been done through the auction here, which I'm understanding it was not, then there would have been some recourse as they would have been removed from NP, for whatever that is worth.

Publish his name to warn others though. Then someone can decide if they want to deal with this person from an informed position.

Last edited:
•••
15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names to someone for $1,100 because he needs more money.

The member is NP member and all the conversation happened in the PM.
I want to give him the last chance to do it right!!!

I would give him/her the same 15 minutes courtesy to make it right then put their name on public display for everyone to see what $100 gets you in the professional world.

•••
There is something called non-compete clause once agreed between the parties involved in the transaction atleast for 48 hrs.

A non-compete has absolutely nothing do do with this situation, geesh. Google is your friend.

•••
Im surprised at the some of the comments above, I guess thats why I wont sell domains to fellow domainers..

Its not about whats on paper and what the "rules" are, its just about agreeing to something and then following through with it, forget what you are allowed to do and what your obligations are, its just about keeping your word when making a deal. If you arent sure about the price, rather ask for a few more days to consider it and then make your decisions and stick to it.

When a man breaks his word, he breaks all credibility with that party

I would give him/her the same 15 minutes courtesy to make it right then put their name on public display for everyone to see what $100 gets you in the professional world.

Im all for that too, it will at least warn other people to be aware

•••
I have made losses on this forum due to lower bids, but I have never complained this to the Seller and sold the name at auctioned price only, so once you are agree, you have to be agree with the deal

•••
When a man breaks his word, he breaks all credibility with that party

I rather lose $100 and gain a client for future purchases.
Companies today pay hundreds of thousands to advertise themselves to the general public in hopes of seeing ROI.
Here in this case the seller sold out their credibility for a mere $100 and lost not only a client who might of purchased more in the near future but is about to be plastered for greed and unprofessionalism.

•••
I knew him. It was happened to me before.

we both agreed & payment at escrow. he sold to someone without any updates. It's $30,000+ deal.

I never deal with him in anytime.

•••
sounds like they just want another 150 or so, classic tactic with all other forms of goods. Call their bluff.

It's highly unlikely they got another offer in that short window. Unless its a smoking deal that they just posted this day/evening.

•••
I have lost much more money in a similar situation, but I honored my word.
Trust is everything in business. It takes years to build reputation, but you can lose it in one second :(

•••
Especially when you are a part of a community like the one here at Namepros.

Sure, I don't mind critiquing a person directly if my opinion differs from him / her on here. In fact, I have done that quite regularly. But I would never ever reneg on a business agreement with a Namepros member or do anything in business or financial dealings. That's just not cool.

•••
Business is all about your words you keep it or you lose it :)

There is no bigger contract then your own words. What if you create a paper contract and burn it after you get the payment. That should't be a problem then as there is no prove for that deal.

Domain might seems a virtual business but you are making thousands of real money why not play it real :)

Thanks.

•••
That definitely sucks man....but on a positive note, perhaps it was just not meant to be and u might end up seeing. another two domains that u want even more for the same price...

Who knows. :)

•••
Similar situation happened to me last week as well. But the seller apologised and explained and tried to make up for it.

•••
Once an offer is accepted then the seller should go through with it.

•••
"There is something wrong with your character if opportunity controls your loyalty"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back