IT.COM

Selling reputation for $100

NameSilo
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
I made an offer $1,000 on 2 domains and the seller accepted my offer.
He sent me his paypal email and asked me to pay.
I said I am on the road and I will pay when I get home. He said OK.

15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names to someone for $1,100 because he needs more money.

So technically he sold his reputation for $100. I even offer $1,000 Mass Pay so he would net $1,000 even.
Is this the way you conduct a business? I told him he needs to refund the money to the buyer and sell the names to me as we agreed, The reason he needs money has nothing to do with the agreement for the transaction.

I am not desperately needed the names but I feel like I am being cheated.

The member is NP member and all the conversation happened in the PM.
I want to give him the last chance to do it right!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's sad that so many fellow domainers are so fast to find excuses to condone such an unethical behavior.

What is the appropriate amount of time to wait in your opinion?

•••
@johnn I Agree..It is basic business integrity. Even if you leave money on the table; you must carry through what you agree to as a seller. That's their reputation they are throwing away. If they don't correct the issue then reveal their name. If someone, offers me $50 for a name and I agree, then the deal is done. If shortly after another person offer me $80 for the same name then I let them know the name is no longer available..I would kick my self a little for leaving money on the table but i simply use it as a learning experience and keep my word. That have happened to me with llll.com domains before.. Your word is your reputation, it's your contract. If I agree to sell you a name then the deal is done before I even get to paypal. If someone doesn't even value their own word then be weary of doing business with them, because they won't value you either. It's even more sad that it's $100 difference.

If they are a new domainer then maybe they need a little correction.
If they have been domaining for sometime then I don't know what to say..

•••
Still want to know who's the member...

•••
•••
•••
What is the appropriate amount of time to wait in your opinion?
Looks like you missed this quote from OP's first post: "I said I am on the road and I will pay when I get home. He said OK. 15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names ...."

As you can see, they had reached an agreement that the payment would be done when the buyer get home. The seller agreed but wouldn't wait even an hour before selling the domain to a third party.

•••
Helps if you would have posted: "pm sent" later "agreed on price and payment"

•••
And interestingly enough the seller liked soofi's post where he stated.

As outlined in the NamePros rules, it clearly states that all sales agreements are binding.
That means that this agreement between buyer/seller is binding regardless of being in private messages. Payment was agreed to be made after sometime. I would suggest that the seller (@busyj) must go through with the sale that was agreed upon between him and the buyer (@johnn).

And @djum - damn - this story for the $1 is funny. Sorry though.

•••
Looks like you missed this quote from OP's first post: "I said I am on the road and I will pay when I get home. He said OK. 15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names ...."

As you can see, they had reached an agreement that the payment would be done when the buyer get home. The seller agreed but wouldn't wait even an hour before selling the domain to a third party.

Nope, read it all. But you berate us for being so fast to condone this unethical behavior, so I would like to know how long we should wait (in your opinion), before we condone this unethical behavior? Would have been better if we waited an hour? A day?

•••
Nope, read it all. But you berate us for being so fast to condone this unethical behavior, so I would like to know how long we should wait (in your opinion), before we condone this unethical behavior? Would have been better if we waited an hour? A day?
100 years would have been fine I think.

•••
And interestingly enough the seller liked soofi's post where he stated.

And @djum - damn - this story for the $1 is funny. Sorry though.

It's the same as OP's, except for 100 times worse.
Worse because it was public auction, not pm sale.
But yeah, when picture is made 100 bigger or smaller it becomes funny.

•••
I cant believe you have a member sticking up for this type of seller,I bought a LLLL.Net chip on godaddy aaab pattern for $350 .At the same time I was hand registering a few hundred LLLL.org chips for only $4 each ,I could have bought another hundred of these if I had not spent the other money.
Anyway the guy backed out on godaddy ,he said he made a mistake and already sold it. 2 weeks later I see the guy offing the domain here for 150 more.So people here that condone this guys action and seem to think he did nothing wrong,leaves the door open for anyone here to do it to you. So basically we can have a free ride at your expense after we sell it we can still shop it around for some extra lunch money HONEY

•••
I had a similar issue with a fairly active and experienced trader here.

The Discrepancy : After winning 2 of the LLLL.com auction (same seller) I didnt pay instantly i.e. within the first 6 hours of winning it, though there was no deadline set or anything. The seller sold both domains for $20 more to a bin, though the BIN was set after the auction ended (i.e. I had already won the auction by then).

Resolution: one week on, after getting Eric involved the mutual resolution decided was that I will accept 2 other 4L.com for the same price tag as auction won as the seller had a whole lot of them. But unfortunately it was around that time of last year when within a week the price for 4L.com went up XX%.

Outcome: The seller didnt respond to my follow up. Eric would have put an infraction on the seller had I followed up with him, but I dont think that would have changed the mind of the seller, as prices for 4L.com skyrocketed.

•••
what you had was A gentlemen's agreement , non-binding agreement, personally I would respect a deal between two of us but not everyone does. In my opinion what he should do once he got a better offer is asked you if you are willing to pay 1100 or more and then make a reasonable decision. Different story with an auction or BIN

•••
There's no story. If you accept an offer than you MUST sell the domain, no matter if they offer 10 times more to you. If you want the payment to be made in a very short amount of time you specify it when you accept the offer.

•••
There's no story. If you accept an offer than you MUST sell the domain, no matter if they offer 10 times more to you. If you want the payment to be made in a very short amount of time you specify it when you accept the offer.
Fully agree.

•••
It happen a lot time in forums. I experience th same faith but just ignore them in future dealing.

Years in this business, I know now who to trust and not.

•••
These days, a man's word is worth no more than the domain they are selling.

•••
If the seller would ask the first buyer to offer more than $1.1k it would have 2 option:
- buyer would not accept and keep the same argument mentioned in the first post (most likely)
- buyer would have offered more
I don't see a problem here since no money were involved. This situation happens to both sides. Next time make sure to pay directly.
OOH OOH AAH AAH EEE EEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Totally agree!

•••
These type of threads are always interesting. It shows who has integrity and who does not....therefore who to avoid in the future.

•••
what you had was A gentlemen's agreement , non-binding agreement, personally I would respect a deal between two of us but not everyone does. In my opinion what he should do once he got a better offer is asked you if you are willing to pay 1100 or more and then make a reasonable decision. Different story with an auction or BIN
Wrong, the agreement is binding. By accepting the sales price, the seller ended the sale thus no further bids can be considered - unless the buyers was to default which isn't the case here.

These type of threads are always interesting. It shows who has integrity and who does not....therefore who to avoid in the future.
Yes. I'm watching too.

•••
A simple solution to this issue would be for NamePros to set up registrar escrow accounts that hold domains while they are listed on here for sale or in auction.

It's kinda sad though if they had to resort to doing that due to certain members who can't keep their word.

•••
Some people misunderstood me i think.

I totally agree that it's unethical.

"Nothing wrong here" section is there's not a contract binding supported by law and not any payment is done/received.

If there's more wrong part, then that would be not giving any negative trade review (although negotiation is done via PM) and unlocking the privacy like an hall of shame listing.

As i emphasis on "Don't sell to him, sell to me" is still funny to comment.

Imagine that; you have a domain name here and listed on Sedo with higher pricing or vice verse;

A stranger comes and offers you $100 for that domain name, also it's purchased via Sedo at $110 in the meantime, what would you do in this situation? You can also replace the prices like $110 from a person here and $100 from Sedo.

Last edited:
•••
What a biz, we have buyers here that make offers, then when their accepted, decide not to follow through and come here and claim he will send another offer via a different email adresse for less...

We have several sales already this year, by members that don't even own the said names, and multiple people sending their money asap, to secure this deal that was to good to be true. Scammed.

Folks, when closing a deal in pm, write it like a contract, exact time, date, amount. And do your research, 4L,net chips dont sell for $79

Now this, with the buyer @busyj actually liking a posted comment, stating what he did is wrong. Plain mocking us, like what are you going to do about it. This person will just open another account, inflating the forum membership. So many multiple accounts here, new member one post, appraise this.

Chat on thursday, I throw up a couple names and a member pm's me and makes an offer. I accept. It will take a few days for payment. Ok. Then I read this, and realize a persons word isnt worth dick, unless they have proven they keep their word, and value their reputation more than a few dollars. So I pm member and said a few days is 3, thats 72 hours. This person was on chat yesterday complaining they bid on expiring names not realizing goodaddy hoses people on renewals, plus auction fee and they have 2 days to pay up. $90 for 2 reg fee names.
I dont care member says, there is no money there, and if they close my godaddy account, I will open another one.
Um, buddy, 72 hours has passed and after what you said in chat, the deal is off.

This forum is getting a little out of control, sorry Eric, I love this place, but its getting hard to do business with people you dont know if you can trust. Its more entertainment now, than knowledge.
I spent hundreds on articles here in the old days, then soon the articles became gibberish, obviously poor english skills. Remember the NP$ bank, remember those that got stuck with the NP$ ?
The good old days

There is alot of great people on here, people i have never met i would trust everything i own with. People i know will do what they say, and help you with knowledge or funds in an instant. But the spammers and the scammers and gaining strength. Flippa and their updated tos haha, how about some new rules here for new members, a certain number of posts before appraisals and sales. Some accountability
We have spent years building our reputations to make namepros what it is. @busyj should be banned instantly if what Op said is true, hard not to believe it. Even though we all would like to see the actual pm.
So what's the update OP? Did you invite Eric in to verify the conversation? And we want to know what is going to be done about this type of behaviour. I do anyways.

I have a new alert! Its about morals now, not facts. How funny is that

•••
I'm shocked by what I read here, and I will reconsider the confidence I had, by default, in all members on this forum.

A lot of people here want/hope/dream to become domains professionals. I think first step is to behave like a professional, and honour a deal when it is agreed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back