Domain Empire

Selling reputation for $100

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
I made an offer $1,000 on 2 domains and the seller accepted my offer.
He sent me his paypal email and asked me to pay.
I said I am on the road and I will pay when I get home. He said OK.

15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names to someone for $1,100 because he needs more money.

So technically he sold his reputation for $100. I even offer $1,000 Mass Pay so he would net $1,000 even.
Is this the way you conduct a business? I told him he needs to refund the money to the buyer and sell the names to me as we agreed, The reason he needs money has nothing to do with the agreement for the transaction.

I am not desperately needed the names but I feel like I am being cheated.

The member is NP member and all the conversation happened in the PM.
I want to give him the last chance to do it right!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is a total different story, plus the fact he posted sold.

•••
Indeed, and I didnt say it is the same but I shared the story because I had to respect the sale even though there was problem.

Last edited:
•••
Abdullah what wast he name that you sold for 45 that was supposed to be 450?

•••
Abdullah what wast he name that you sold for 45 that was supposed to be 450?
Thank you for asking but the buyer asked me to make it private so cannot provide the name. That was reseller price at the time and now they are over the roof with complete buyout(it was already buyout) . Even many members commented on the auction and even say wow too quick,too cheap, two weeks later I was offered $900 for the same domain .What can you say about that now? Life :)

•••
You just followed the rules by repeating the sale.

•••
You just followed the rules by repeating the sale.
Repeating? How? The new offer was $900 and it was a member on here. I told him I no longer have the domain :)

•••
Respecting*
I'm on mobile and the autocorrect feature did once again a great job lol

•••
Respecting*
I'm on mobile and the autocorrect feature did once again a great job lol
Lol I normally figurr out when auto corrector messes up but this time I failed. I never use auto correct :)

•••
How would it have been if johnn had driven home and then replied "you know what, I actually don't want these now"?

Just as bad! And that's why neither buyer nor seller can back out without good reason, or we end up playing a game of "risk" between us all and not knowing what to expect, instead of "trading like businessmen" and knowing what to expect.

This was an agreement by definition - "I offer X" - "I accept X" - they agreed on a price and one agrees to buy and the other sell. How legally binding this is, or even if covered by NP rules, doesn't matter, it's about doing the right thing. And 15 minutes after the agreement is not time to say "you haven't paid".

I understand if the seller needed as much as possible, but if that's the case then simply state "I like your offer, how long is it viable for?" and they can wait to see what other offers come in.

It dismays me to see people arguing in favour of the seller. Seller was ok with johnn's offer until another $100 was on the table from someone else. That's all it was and it's not good trading etiquette. They could have waited another day and got another $200, where does one decide to stop waiting and take an offer? When you state as such! The seller decided it was time to sell and should have sold to johnn as agreed.

•••
johnn, thanks for posting this. Many of the replies have been very revealing and I have a whole new list of people I will not do business with as a result.

•••
There are ways to handle things if you cannot or don't want to go with the deal, but all of them include agreeing with the other party, if you value your reputation.

I had 2 deals here on NP as a buyer that I did not want to go through, mainly because of the overbuying, I made a small payment to both counter parties for their trouble and asked if they'd allow me to back off the deal. One did and wanted even to return the payment, which I appreciated but declined. The other insisted that I buy at least half of the batch, which I still appreciate (if he said all has to be bought, I would do that). So, yes, I negotiated, but ultimately considered myself tied with the terms of my arrangement, unless renegotiated (and I made clear that if they insist on terms, the terms would remain).

As a seller, I had my LLL.com included in the mailing list with 15%commission and 2 weeks commitment. I received an offer from the list and even better one directly within days, but declined it, because realized that it could have been someone from the list cutting the middleman out. I felt like it would be cheating.

Also as a seller, had an incident where on Flippa I was privately offered for one of my domains $5K paid in installments within a year. He eventually dragged it for couple of months and "disappeared". He is one of the NP forum members. I will not disclose the name, but won't do business again, definitely.

So, no, this is not so much about legal (as it is costly and difficult to prove things in a court), as much moral and reputational, as well as personal inner peace. Just decide for yourself that you will honor your obligations and will not change them unilaterally and eventually you will be better off.

Last edited:
•••
Many of the replies have been very revealing and I have a whole new list of people I will not do business with as a result.
My thoughts exactly!!!

•••
There are ways to handle things if you cannot or don't want to go with the deal, but all of them include agreeing with the other party, if you value your reputation.

I had 2 deals here on NP as a buyer that I did not want to go through, mainly because of the overbuying, I made a small payment to both counter parties for their trouble and asked if they'd allow me to back off the deal. One did and wanted even to return the payment, which I appreciated but declined. The other insisted that I buy at least half of the batch, which I still appreciate (if he said all has to be bought, I would do that). So, yes, I negotiated, but ultimately considered myself tied with the terms of my arrangement, unless renegotiated (and I made clear that if they insist on terms, the terms would remain).

As a seller, I had my LLL.com included in the mailing list with 15%commission and 2 weeks commitment. I received an offer from the list and even better one directly within days, but declined it, because realized that it could have been someone from the list cutting the middleman out. I felt like it would be cheating.

Also as a seller, had an incident where on Flippa I was privately offered for one of my domains $5K paid in installments within a year. He eventually dragged it for couple of months and "disappeared". He is one of the NP forum members. I will not disclose the name, but won't do business again, definitely.

So, no, this is not so much about legal (as it is costly and difficult to prove things in a court), as much moral and reputational, as well as personal inner peace. Just decide for yourself that you will honor your obligations and will not change them unilaterally and eventually you will be better off.

So why the heck did you make the deal in the first place? "Overbuying" is not a good excuse. Don't you check your finances before making deals?

Negotiating down after you agreed to an offer is pretty lowdown.

Pretty poor excuse, especially after you have complained about a buyer not following through at Flippa.

You can't have it both ways.

•••
Ms Domainer, I am not looking for excuse, it is what it is. I don't mix my domain funds with my other finances and I am dependent on other sales and promises to buy as well. I don't also get why should I be looking for excuse. I made clear I will respect the arrangement, I asked if the sellers would consider an out and I accepted whatever the sellers thought was acceptable. I also did compensate for wasted time and effort. I am open about all these and any seller would know that I will respect my commitment regardless. I wrote about it just to reiterate the points made within the thread that you have to follow through your commitments, unless the terms are changed bilaterally.

•••
Ms Domainer, I am not looking for excuse, it is what it is. I don't mix my domain funds with my other finances and I am dependent on other sales and promises to buy as well. I don't also get why should I be looking for excuse. I made clear I will respect the arrangement, I asked if the sellers would consider an out and I accepted whatever the sellers thought was acceptable. I also did compensate for wasted time and effort. I am open about all these and any seller would know that I will respect my commitment regardless. I wrote about it just to reiterate the points made within the thread that you have to follow through your commitments, unless the terms are changed bilaterally.

Fair enough, Recons .com.

•••
Not a professional seller. I don't like make business with seller like that.

•••
Somehow I feel like whole truth has not been given here.

Murder is wrong, and just because I, a policeman, am the one to claim someone else is a murderer- without providing proof that is- does that make the person a murderer? Does it make me innocent because I am a policeman or was first to post about it?

It's actually interesting to see that a public castration has taken place, without the necessary proof to backup the reason behind it.

Somehow I feel like the goal of this thread was to get members fired up about people who break agreements, knowing very well that many have expressed similar situations on this forum before... using your emotions to get your attention. No one seems to think it's wrong to omit important details of the deal. True kangaroo court in action.

I've been screwed over on this forum many many times and if I had to create a thread about it, I would certainly have been open and honest about how I conducted myself.

Last edited:
•••
If you agree to a deal stick to it. The business world is a small one and reputation is everything.

You may make a loss but that's business. I put a few a few domains on auction here. One sold for $2 and was worth (plus cost) much more. I pushed the domain as promised -- I lost coin on that deal but still have my rep. This is the life and part of buying and selling. I sell property overseas on auction and have lost on one property selling on a no reserve auction. I still went through with the deal and had to 'suck the mop'.

You only need one or two people to slate you on the internet and your business is finished. Rep is the most important asset your business has. When it's gone it's gone ! Look what happened on here with the AD thread.

Best,
Paul

•••
This things happen. As I mentioned before., it happens for both parts, there are buyers who do not pay. Simply move on....

•••
Seller messed up, and deserves punitive measures(at least to warn others that he/she is unreliable and doesnt keep their word).

Domainers can say "its not a real agreement" all they want. Offcourse it is! @Soofi already nicely clarified the NP rules and seller violated it. what more do naysayers need? LOL
Sorry about your loss John.

•••
Seller messed up, and deserves punitive measures(at least to warn others that he/she is unreliable and doesnt keep their word).

Domainers can say "its not a real agreement" all they want. Offcourse it is! @Soofi already nicely clarified the NP rules and seller violated it. what more do naysayers need? LOL
Sorry about your loss John.

Have you seen this new thread?

Link: https://www.namepros.com/threads/warning.916283/

Here's the quote:

it looks to me like here are members who may try this trick:

get you into a deal
and then after its locked in
like agreed in escrow
or SOLD here

after getting you down as much as possible

then do not pay
and as the domain is locked for them

simply wait for the development of the ( chinese ) market

and later if market goes up
may eventually pay you then
and if not
they may simply just disapear

same happens at sedo

•••
just because I, a policeman, am the one to claim someone else is a murderer- without providing proof that is- does that make the person a murderer?
Not necessarily, but if policeman states he saw a murder take place he will be believed enough for it to go to trial etc.

Same as we believe a moderator (I believe was your intentional comparison) and decent member to not make something up. But no one is on trial with a potential to be punished, and the "defendant" has chance to come here and state "what are you talking about, that's not what happened" etc. It's just people voicing the fact that this situation (if true) is bad and we all know how frustrating things like this can be.

This is a forum where people discuss and voice their opinion ;) and on a domain name trading forum it's fine to discuss someone being potentially untrustworthy to deal with, and discuss in general what we all think of the scenario itself, whether true or not and with the "defendant" aside.

•••
Not necessarily, but if policeman states he saw a murder take place he will be believed enough for it to go to trial etc.

Same as we believe a moderator (I believe was your intentional comparison) and decent member to not make something up. But no one is on trial with a potential to be punished, and the "defendant" has chance to come here and state "what are you talking about, that's not what happened" etc. It's just people voicing the fact that this situation (if true) is bad and we all know how frustrating things like this can be.

This is a forum where people discuss and voice their opinion ;) and on a domain name trading forum it's fine to discuss someone being potentially untrustworthy to deal with, and discuss in general what we all think of the scenario itself, whether true or not and with the "defendant" aside.

And the person being accused has every right to answer and tell his/her side of the story, but few ever do.

Simply move on....

This is simply not an option anymore.

"Moving on" simply means throwing up one's hands and allowing this BS to continue.

I get the feeling that those who protest too much about naming and shaming may have a few skeletons in their domaining closet.

:)

•••
It is impossible to stop the BS

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back