Dynadot

Selling reputation for $100

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
I made an offer $1,000 on 2 domains and the seller accepted my offer.
He sent me his paypal email and asked me to pay.
I said I am on the road and I will pay when I get home. He said OK.

15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names to someone for $1,100 because he needs more money.

So technically he sold his reputation for $100. I even offer $1,000 Mass Pay so he would net $1,000 even.
Is this the way you conduct a business? I told him he needs to refund the money to the buyer and sell the names to me as we agreed, The reason he needs money has nothing to do with the agreement for the transaction.

I am not desperately needed the names but I feel like I am being cheated.

The member is NP member and all the conversation happened in the PM.
I want to give him the last chance to do it right!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Business is all about your words you keep it or you lose it

Damn straight... Your word should be your bond.

And you should be a man of your word.

There's no training needed for this and no contract needed. It's all about basic business principles.

•••
Given the information Johnn has presented, I think he is rght on this issue. I am 100% with him on this. 15 minutes is no time.

I am also in favor of always keeping your word and anything agreed via conversation, email or PM should be regarded as a contract.

However, I have experienced cases here on NamePros in which I posted names for sale, clearly indicating on the post that payment must be made immediately and no later than 24 hours and someone posts SOLD, sends me a PM saying they will pay as agreed and then I have to be chasing them for payment.

In at least two cases, when the other party has failed to do his part of, as required, pay within 24 hours, I have decided to move on with my domain.

So, maybe, just maybe, this domainer Johnn is referring to was just frustrated by other NamePros members who postpone payment.

•••
Catchy headline @johnn but my heart is with you.
I'm really sorry what happened to you.

Is the person a NP member?
Did you managed to get the deal done after all?

•••
•••
What about the dude who poached your purchase by offering an extra $100? >:(

Just gotta walk away and let karma sort it out.

•••
There is something called non-compete clause once agreed between the parties involved in the transaction atleast for 48 hrs.

Do you know what were the auction terms?

If in auction terms I write seller must to make the payment in less than 24 hours after auction ends, that's mean I don't care where you are, if you don't pay that's means you broke auction agreement, right ? I can be indulgent and let pass more only if I want to.

So there is not any 48 hours agreement except with what was written in auction terms.

If nothing was written there as payment time, then NP rules says 7 days !

So the seller must wait up to 7 days until the payment is made, right ?

So if the seller did not waited 7 days he must pay with his reputation !

•••
Hmm..hope it will have a turnaround in your favor.
Shame on this fellow domainer!

•••
I gave him enough time to make it up and do it right but he seems to ignore me so here is the sale thread

https://www.namepros.com/threads/sold-lll-org.908743/#post-5279981
Johnn don't take me wrong but i do not see you have posted sold or anything on the post. As far as i am concern you need to claim the domain on auction post to officially count the deal as a NP deal right. But i dont see you have followed the rule :( if i am not wrong.

Technically he ethically tricked you not platform wise. I mean there is no sign of you on the post :(

Thanks.

•••
as johnn has stated, he made the offer via pm here and it was accepted and he was given pay details, explained when payment would be made. And the fact that the seller sold to someone else after agreeing is wrong.

•••
Johnn don't take me wrong but i do not see you have posted sold or anything on the post. As far as i am concern you need to claim the domain on auction post to officially count the deal as a NP deal right. But i dont see you have followed the rule :( if i am not wrong.

Technically he ethically tricked you not platform wise. I mean there is no sign of you on the post :(

Thanks.
It was not an auction but a make offer thread. He sent an offer and the offer was accepted. That's all is needed to have an agreement. It's sad that so many fellow domainers are so fast to find excuses to condone such an unethical behavior.

•••
It was not an auction but a make offer thread. He sent an offer and the offer was accepted. That's all is needed to have an agreement. It's sad that so many fellow domainers are so fast to find excuses to condone such an unethical behavior.

My target was not to find excuse mate i was just saying as far as i know in any post you need to update the post with current status of the deal. Like if you look at the post we dont see johnn on the post directly and we haven't seen PM's content between them yet, Just because Johnn is a moderator and a very well known member here at NP we have trust him but what if that happens with an establish member or new member how you will trust on who is telling the truth. We have heard one side of the story what about the other part?

Thanks.

•••
There is/was no auction. Buyer messaged an offer here on NP to seller and seller saw a deal, agreed to sell at $1000. It was privately dealt, and now seller is backing out friends (OP please correct me if I am wrong).

As outlined in the NamePros rules, it clearly states that all sales agreements are binding. That means that this agreement between buyer/seller is binding regardless of being in private messages. Payment was agreed to be made after sometime. I would suggest that the seller (@busyj) must go through with the sale that was agreed upon between him and the buyer (@johnn).

Per Forum rules, failure to honor a binding agreement can result in a bad business infraction that could limit an accounts access to NamePros.

I suggest buyer should add Admin to the conversation so that he can go through the whole incident and decide per forum rules.

Good luck both of you!

•••
This situation comes up quite frequently in a forum setting because transactions don't always happen instantly for various reasons. People are online at different times, bank transfers take time, etc.

Soofi is right. When you accept an offer from someone, you are bound to complete it. PM communication accepting an offer is like verbal contract and is still a contract. Any other offers coming in should be considered only if the first does not follow through with whatever was agreed upon or disappears or what have you.

It sucks sometimes to have a bigger offer come in after you just agreed with someone else (believe me, I know,) but violating contracts does put you at risk of legal action from the other member, and is at the very least, worthy of a negative trader rating on this forum.

Last edited:
•••
Since this deal was contracted on NP, I'd at least give them a negativeTR rating.

•••
I made an offer $1,000 on 2 domains and the seller accepted my offer.
He sent me his paypal email and asked me to pay.
I said I am on the road and I will pay when I get home. He said OK.

15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names to someone for $1,100 because he needs more money.

So technically he sold his reputation for $100. I even offer $1,000 Mass Pay so he would net $1,000 even.
Is this the way you conduct a business? I told him he needs to refund the money to the buyer and sell the names to me as we agreed, The reason he needs money has nothing to do with the agreement for the transaction.

I am not desperately needed the names but I feel like I am being cheated.

The member is NP member and all the conversation happened in the PM.
I want to give him the last chance to do it right!!!

You think that selling reputation for $100 is cheap?
Nah, I can show you someone who did it for $1.
Here's winner.
Read last trade review.
He refused to sell me his domains that I won at the auction, because wanted to give them to someone who offered the whole dollar more (in violation of auction rules too).
After that $100 story is some kind of luxury for guys like Mohammad ;)

•••
•••
When you make a agreement you make a agreement and that should be it. I've had the same thing happen recently with a member here after I paid in escrow they wanted more money. It's not good practices AND ITS BAD BUSINESS I only think agreements should be broken if there's a problem with payment/ transfer or buyer donest pay with in a certain amount of time.

•••
Had this happen to me as well, just that he sold it for the same amount...

•••
Some people don't understand the concept of rules and good manners.
Now, he can take his business elsewhere.

•••
Am I the only one who has noticed that this kind of issues is happening more and more on the forum?

•••
Am I the only one who has noticed that this kind of issues is happening more and more on the forum?
What you expect as more and more are joining the forum and its always hard to maintain a large quantity of anything in this world why not members :)

•••
What you expect as more and more are joining the forum and its always hard to maintain a large quantity of anything in this world why not members :)

I understand that I just think that some measures should be taken. It is in the interest of the forum itself.
Just my opinion of course

•••

Perhaps people are just complaining and whining more and more?

------

I think people get a reputation for bitchiness when they complain, but maybe that's just me. Mostly because all that is delivered is one biased side of the story. I certainly think that threatening with shaming and all that BS makes you look worse than if you take the moral high-road and walk away. I don't want to deal with complainy domainy people :)

•••
It's a pretty tempting situation on what money can do to many of us. I remember selling a name at loss but I had to keep to an agreement and asked for transfer details even before buyer would make any move, and this was IMMEDIATELY after auction ended.

Was I tempted not to honor the deal? YES

Did I feel bad? YES

Did made any loss? Damn yes

would I trade my name for fee bucks or a million dollar? Certainly NOT!

•••
You didn't leave negative feedback? Why haven't you left negative feedback? You posted the thread here, but no feedback -- so the only people who would ever know about this are the ones reading the thread.

Meanwhile, this is exactly what the feedback system is for, IMHO... rather than threads.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back