IT.COM

Selling reputation for $100

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
I made an offer $1,000 on 2 domains and the seller accepted my offer.
He sent me his paypal email and asked me to pay.
I said I am on the road and I will pay when I get home. He said OK.

15 minutes later he sent me an email and said he sold the 2 names to someone for $1,100 because he needs more money.

So technically he sold his reputation for $100. I even offer $1,000 Mass Pay so he would net $1,000 even.
Is this the way you conduct a business? I told him he needs to refund the money to the buyer and sell the names to me as we agreed, The reason he needs money has nothing to do with the agreement for the transaction.

I am not desperately needed the names but I feel like I am being cheated.

The member is NP member and all the conversation happened in the PM.
I want to give him the last chance to do it right!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is childish. So one less over 900k+ of namepros members.
These is no reason to act like this. He had a reason and explained it. This is a lesson for everyone to close a deal as quick as possible.

Not childish at all; just good business not to do business with trouble.

•••
Please read my first post.
- He accepted my offer.
- I said I am out with my wife and be back within an hour to pay - I am not going to use public wifi to access my paypal account. He said he is OK with it and send me his paypal email address.
- 5 minutes later he said he has to sell to someone for $100 more because he needs money
- I said I gave him an hour to correct his mistake and do the right thing - to sell the names to me as we agreed on the price and the time (it's only an hour - not even one day!!!)
- I said if he does not do the right thing then I will post the story in the public.
- I waited for ONE DAY (instead of one hour) before I posted his name here
- I am not even bothered to give him a negative feedback.

Why this thread? To warn other members as if he can do it to me then he can do to everyone else.
He even admitted here and from PM that he screwed up the transaction. I would not post the thread if he is new - but he is not new here.

Last edited:
•••
To some people, 100 is nothing, to others, it is every thing, mostly to those who need money urgently or the opposite end, those who collect coupons and think 100 is huge, and do everything they can to save save save and reduce cost/expense.

It would be best if you gave negative feedback at this point if he didn't correct his mistake, because that function serves to warn others who would be doing any transactions with this person that s/he is not to be trusted.

People are not going to land on this page before doing transactions with him.. they will just see their profile and rep as an indication of trust.. so use the rep system, it has purpose.

People "sell" their rep for a lot less, even for nothing.

Last edited:
•••
The Honor spectrum for human beings on planet earth is wide / varied and diversified , there are those here who will sell out @ 5 dollars or less and then there are those who will honor their word even if its a million $$ loss or say an offer comes in at one billion dollars more .

•••
or say an offer comes in at one billion dollars more .
I get your point but a bit high priced an example. I think anyone would be fine with: "can I cancel the deal if I give you 50 million?"

•••
I had twice non paying buyers in a short period of time and didn't end up haveing to threads blaming the world for it.
Because YOU didnt care enough to do anything. Doesnt change the fact that those seller(s) messed up.

•••
Because YOU didnt care enough to do anything. Doesnt change the fact that those seller(s) messed up.
Because it wasn't needed to tell the world. Informed the moderators and moved on.

•••
Because it wasn't needed to tell the world. Informed the moderators and moved on.
OK, but different strokes for different folks. Maybe thats you, but you're not John and John is not you. Just pointing out that different people have different ways of handling things, doesnt make it wrong or bad.

•••
Indeed it does. I just mentioned how I would do.

•••
I haven't read this thread properly, sorry if a similar hypothetical question has been asked. This a question to everybody:

Just out of curiosity, if a similar situation happened where you are the seller and someone offered you $1000 for a domain and you accept via PM and then 1 hour later someone offered you a legit $20K offer.

Would a lot of people still honour the original $1000 deal?

I'm not taking sides, I'm just asking a question.

•••
All i see is someone that never closed the deal. I have lost sales myself. The one that got away is how you learn. Money is the closer not a handshake.

•••
I was in a very similar situation on Flippa. My auction ended without an offer over my reserve. After the auction I received an offer of around $500 or so, I accepted. Shortly after someone offered me about $150 more than I previously accepted but reputation is everything. I held the $500 I already accepted and sold it to the first buyer. When you're in this space you have to build a brand on honestly and good relations with others in the domaining world. That $100 or $150 now could loose you a sale of $1000+ in the future. Your word is everything.

•••
Please read my first post.
- He accepted my offer.
- I said I am out with my wife and be back within an hour to pay - I am not going to use public wifi to access my paypal account. He said he is OK with it and send me his paypal email address.
- 5 minutes later he said he has to sell to someone for $100 more because he needs money
- I said I gave him an hour to correct his mistake and do the right thing - to sell the names to me as we agreed on the price and the time (it's only an hour - not even one day!!!)
- I said if he does not do the right thing then I will post the story in the public.
- I waited for ONE DAY (instead of one hour) before I posted his name here
- I am not even bothered to give him a negative feedback.

Why this thread? To warn other members as if he can do it to me then he can do to everyone else.
He even admitted here and from PM that he screwed up the transaction. I would not post the thread if he is new - but he is not new here.

He said he needed money and that was why he sold it to another person and turned down the agreement within five minutes? But money is not everything. Human can sometimes be very difficult to understand.
Well! Since the transaction was not in this place; it seems nothing NP could do to such a person.

But my advise to you is, just be happy for he does not collect your money and failed to push the domain to you, because someone of this character could do such a thing.

Very bad.

•••
Just recently I too encounter a similar garbage experience with a buyer. We agreed on a $2200 deal, and escrow transaction. He said he will start it in 7 hours. 7 hours passed, hasn't started. 17 hours passed, hasn't started still. Then he message me saying his "partner" is suppose to start it, but he did not. He asks me to re-confirm. I reconfirmed because I am a good seller. Then he asks more garbage questions that are not part of the agreed deal, like can we trade? do you have other names etc? I answered all of them with a straight no. He literally is a deadbeat buyer in my impression. I am thinking if I should expose him. Damn right I am not happy about it.

•••
Just recently I too encounter a similar garbage experience with a buyer. We agreed on a $2200 deal, and escrow transaction. He said he will start it in 7 hours. 7 hours passed, hasn't started. 17 hours passed, hasn't started still. Then he message me saying his "partner" is suppose to start it, but he did not. He asks me to re-confirm. I reconfirmed because I am a good seller. Then he asks more garbage questions that are not part of the agreed deal, like can we trade? do you have other names etc? I answered all of them with a straight no. He literally is a deadbeat buyer in my impression. I am thinking if I should expose him. Damn right I am not happy about it.

Is that person a member of np?

•••

It sounds like he's trying to front run your domain name, putting you off until he finds a buyer, or perhaps he had a buyer who went south.

So now he's trying to wiggle out of the sale.

Yeah, I would vote for exposing his numpty ass.

•••
I haven't read this thread properly, sorry if a similar hypothetical question has been asked. This a question to everybody:

Just out of curiosity, if a similar situation happened where you are the seller and someone offered you $1000 for a domain and you accept via PM and then 1 hour later someone offered you a legit $20K offer.

Would a lot of people still honour the original $1000 deal?

I'm not taking sides, I'm just asking a question.

That's a great question, I wish you got more answers. I suspect most would take the $20K, but few would admit it on here. I think I would approach the buyer and explain the situation and try to reach a deal where he made money. Buyers are hard to find and a buyer ready to close the deal is worth something.

•••
A few years ago I tried to get a drop but someone faster/smarter got there before me.

I contacted them and asked if they would sell for $1000

While waiting for the push (I hadn't paid at this point and the seller wasn't sure if he could make an instant push) the seller contacted me and said he had an offer on the name from another person which was considerably more than I was about to pay.

He said that he had told the person he had sold the name and then asked if I wanted the details of the new buyer so I could deal with them myself.

I didn't resell the name (I wanted it for my own use) but I instantly found a new friend.

Some people have all the morals in the world
Some people have none.

Have to say, that person and I have since done so much business together that initial deal isn't worth 1% of our dealings.

•••
A few years ago I tried to get a drop but someone faster/smarter got there before me.

I contacted them and asked if they would sell for $1000

While waiting for the push (I hadn't paid at this point and the seller wasn't sure if he could make an instant push) the seller contacted me and said he had an offer on the name from another person which was considerably more than I was about to pay.

He said that he had told the person he had sold the name and then asked if I wanted the details of the new buyer so I could deal with them myself.

I didn't resell the name (I wanted it for my own use) but I instantly found a new friend.

Some people have all the morals in the world
Some people have none.

Have to say, that person and I have since done so much business together that initial deal isn't worth 1% of our dealings.
So you are dealing for over $100k? No wonder $1k isn't anything for you and your friend. That would explain what he did.

•••
Thing is

I didn't know the seller at all.

But his attitude to the sale was so professional we ended up forming a friendship and working many, many, deals afterwards.

Not something I feel will happen with the two parties in this thread.

•••
•••
It's never good to burn bridges. I've always believed that your word is more important than money. If you agree to a price, it's a deal. Just like you promise to do something, you do it. A few years back I agreed to sell a domain to someone. We agreed on the sale, but the buyer needed a month to come up with the funds. At the time, I was okay with that. About a week later, I got another offer from someone else for more money. I turned him down immediately. He came back and offered even more. Granted, it was hard to say no, but I told him I already made an arrangement with someone else and if he wants to buy it, he can contact him after the deal goes through. Not everyone has a conscience. I once found a gold bracelet, probably worth 5-10k. I made an effort to find the owner and I did. I could have easily have gone and sold it, but I didn't. It turned out to be worth more to the owner. When I gave it to her, she gave me a big hug and cried. It meant a lot to her and it wasn't something she could ever buy from a store.

I don't care if a deal is for $10 or $1000. If you agree on something, I think it's important to honor that. If you think you're going to cancel a deal if a bigger offer comes to you, say that up front. Something like "Listen, I need money and if a larger offer comes up before you send payment, I will take it". At least that gives the buyer a reason to hurry up the transaction and it also leaves no surprises to the buyer.

•••
It would be best if you gave negative feedback at this point if he didn't correct his mistake, because that function serves to warn others who would be doing any transactions with this person that s/he is not to be trusted.

People are not going to land on this page before doing transactions with him.. they will just see their profile and rep as an indication of trust.. so use the rep system, it has purpose.

I agree with this. You really need to give a negative trade review for that individual. It does NOT matter that none of us participating in this thread were not party to discussions - the whole point of the trade review is to detail YOUR experience in a transaction. In this case, there needs to be a record somewhere because this thread isn't going to help anyone make a decision about whether to deal with that person.

Secondly, it will make the person receiving the negative trade review think about how the transaction went and consider the merit (or otherwise) of his actions. He will weigh up the pros and cons of taking a decision like that in the future.

Finally, I find the best strategy is to pass a counter offer to someone and say "Offer good for X hours" (X being 48 hours or something). Then if the buyer accepts but doesn't start the purchase within that time frame, your offer expires, you're freed from your obligation to sell to him and both parties know where they stand.

Last edited:
•••
There is no legal obligation for the seller to go through with the deal, but there sure is a moral obligation. There is no such thing as honesty and integrity anymore.

•••
@domainleadfinder totally agree

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back