IT.COM

status-monitor Selling in Chat (Poll)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How often should selling be allowed in chat?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Fridays only

votes
    14.3%
  • Weekends only

votes
    22.2%
  • Every other day

votes
    3.2%
  • Always

votes
    42.5%
  • Never

votes
    23.4%
  • Other (explain in a post)

votes
    3.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

In chat, we've been testing out a new set of rules on Fridays to allow selling ("Casual Fridays"): More details.

Please let us know whether we should:
  1. Only allow selling in chat on Fridays like we have been doing.
  2. Extend selling in chat to the entire weekend.
  3. Allow selling every other day in chat.
  4. Always (24/7) selling in chat.
  5. Never allow selling in chat.
  6. Other (explain in a post)

Thanks in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just changed my vote to "Always". I do miss the live NP auctions, and I think there are more active members on NP then there were before, we could be better than NJ! I think from NP's point of view, the auctions were too time consuming, but if we set an ordered list for live auctions, each seller can be their own auctioneer - if the seller isn't online, someone else can fill in for him (can be anyone that is online, and can be a different person each time - just to get that sense of being an auctioneer) - that way, the staff won't have to do much and it will be the seller's own responsibility to look at the member's iTrader and choose a trustworthy escrow if necessary. Then NP won't be taking commission either, and it'll be a member-run system. Maybe once every two weeks. We could maybe add a little widget to the sidebar highlighting the details of the next auction. Sounds fun. The auction archive text can be posted in a thread later for those that missed it (and should be visible to members only so the search engines don't pick up the names and prices they sold for). Then the seller's who weren't online will know how much their domains sold for, and we will have a base on which to leave an iTraders.

•••
So if majority of the votes went with always... why cant we always sell in chat?

•••
There are dedicated sections in the forum for the purpose of buying, selling, and discussing domain names. So Instead of suggesting improving those sections with better control, asking to shift part of that task into the chat room is surely a step back in evolution, and calling for unnecessary moderation distraction.
Just my thoughts...

•••
dont matter hes right the vote is in by a big margin.

•••
So if majority of the votes went with always... why cant we always sell in chat?
dont matter hes right the vote is in by a big margin.
It's not that simple:
  • 82 votes are for Always
  • 116 votes (At least) are for Not Always (Never, Every other day, Weekends only, Fridays only)
That's why we do not plan to change it at this time. We are considering creating two rooms (One for Chatting and one for Selling).

Edit: Stats updated on May 19, 2017

Last edited:
•••
You could also flip this around for 88 to cover the whole weekend

•••
It's not that simple:
  • 58 votes are for Always
  • 94 votes (At least) are for Not Always (Never, Every other day, Weekends only, Fridays only)
That's why we do not plan to change it at this time. We are considering creating two rooms (One for Chatting and one for Selling).

True, I didnt think of it that way. Interesting to see the 2 chat rooms in the future maybe.

•••
To be honest Eric since a majority favor weekend just do it on the weekend's in main and seperate room for every other day.

•••
*** 2017 BUMP ***

Voted for always. The special holiday free-for-all was a great idea by @Michelle

Since there was no hurry up rush time limit for selling, it was spread out, members were able to have normal chat and occasional sales pitches intertwined, without much disruption of flow. The current system, Fridays get hit hard.

Allow Always - maybe there can be an adjustment to the time limits - only allow one sales post per hour and keep the limit per day, but make it a limit per member not per domain.

No offense @Eric Lyon the way you posted and interpreted this poll is mathematically misleading : grin :

There should be two individual polls - Allow Selling in Chat - YES or NO. Rather a moot point as it is already allowed. The only solution for this is two chat rooms.

Once determined the Allow Selling answer is YES, then How Often is a separate issue, AND only allow one vote, multiple votes skew the results. If you change the poll, the poll should be ZEROED out, and everyone can vote fresh with the new parameters.

How to Lie with Statistics
- 121 votes are FOR selling - Always, Every Other Day, Weekends, Fridays
- Then a mere 35 Votes for Never
Ignored Other due to ambiguity

Every Other Day should be eliminated because how confusing would that be to figure out with our International membership of every time zone?! Then define Weekends - does that include Fri Sat Sun and count if it is Fri Sat Sun anywhere in the world?

Plus even on non-sale days, you get members "Creatively" mentioning domains that just happened to be for sale anyway.

•••
I believe the past week it was allowed for the holidays has proven that it doesn't ruin the flow of normal conversation. if anything it helps create conversation when chat would normally be slower. I am fine with 24-7 with rules in place.

•••
•••
•••
Casual Weekends Time Zone Cheat Sheet

Casual Friday begins at 10:00 Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) Thursday
Casual Sunday ends at 12:00 Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) Monday

https://savvytime.com/converter/y-to-utc-lint

On the above page there is a text box "Add Time Zone, City or Town" - To make it custom, everyone can enter their own Time Zone and then bookmark that page for easy reference

The first place on Earth to start a day is GMT +14:00 h
The last place on Earth to end a day is GMT -12:00 h

Line Islands and Yankee Time were the best I could find that worked with that web site
Every NP domainer should know UTC to facilitate our World Wide community : smile :

•••
One suggest, if I may, would be to put a little more verbage directly on the chatroom page that reminds/teaches users some of the great features of the chat and NP.

For example, on sales days, some users have regular conversation while some users are just repeating the same sales message over and over again for the most part.

It took me a while to realize that I could "temporarily" ignore those users that were just running sales ads all day. Even if I forget to unignore them, I just check my profile page for people I ignore, and unignore everyone.

It is possible to have a pleasant experience in chat even on sales days if you set it up correctly.

•••
One suggest, if I may, would be to put a little more verbage directly on the chatroom page that reminds/teaches users some of the great features of the chat and NP.

For example, on sales days, some users have regular conversation while some users are just repeating the same sales message over and over again for the most part.

It took me a while to realize that I could "temporarily" ignore those users that were just running sales ads all day. Even if I forget to unignore them, I just check my profile page for people I ignore, and unignore everyone.

It is possible to have a pleasant experience in chat even on sales days if you set it up correctly.

Oh so this must be why I couldn't get your attention when I was giving away $1000 in chat the other day..

•••
Oh so this must be why I couldn't get your attention when I was giving away $1000 in chat the other day..
lol...you dawg!

•••
No offense to NP staff, I'm sure they have better issues than monitoring the chatroom 24-7. I also appreciate that they gave us this privilege.
I am putting use of the sales chat on hold. I do love the idea of it but it has some issues I feel would be easy to fix.

1) SPAM - It is not very fair to other members who follow the rules when others come in and post their sales every 1-5 minutes (sometimes several with a minute) pushing all other advertisements off the page leaving only theirs for the most part.

2) NAME BASHING. I do love a good lesson in chat but when someone posts a domain for sale and someone instantly follows with " That domain is horrible, I feel sorry for whoever buys that name" This is flat out disrespectful and should not be tolerated. The majority of these name bashers are not usually experienced in either domain investing or the niche involved anyway.
How to fix this?
Having a separate chat room for sales only (hoping it could be set at the minimum amount of time to advertise again currently 15 minutes between posts per member) if it is possible? Questions about their posts can be conducted via PM. Having this 15 minutes between posts will also help prevent intentional name bashing. Other option is to bring in a volunteer chat moderator or two to oversee things.
This will not only prevent spam from pushing ads up but heavy conversations can clear a screen within a minute or two. Having the separate chat for domain talk will help take care of this.

Last edited:
•••
yes np should need to keep eyes on sale ads 15 minute gap . if someone react for domain name then it is positive sign not negative.

1. sale post should be allowed everyday
2. sale post limit should be 10 time instead of 5 time .
3. sale post gap time should be 7 minute .
4. we all here to learn domain name field and we expect only domain name related chat .
5. if any two person want to chat without any distribution then please choose personal message .

•••
Sale posts/promotion must not be allowed.

Or else, introduce a different sub-section/Window in chat.

The continuous promotion of sales posts screws up the entire conversation as and whenever there's a useful/eventful conversation going on between members, which can turn out to be knowledgeable as well so many times.

•••
1) SPAM - It is not very fair to other members who follow the rules when others come in and post their sales every 1-5 minutes (sometimes several with a minute) pushing all other advertisements off the page leaving only theirs for the most part.
Please report when this happens by visiting the member's profile page and using the "Report" link at the top right.

We've banned a couple members this week for violating chat rules, but if members don't report them, we won't be able to catch them all. Everyone must follow the rules but it requires help from members who follow the rules to report members not following them.

2) NAME BASHING. I do love a good lesson in chat but when someone posts a domain for sale and someone instantly follows with " That domain is horrible, I feel sorry for whoever buys that name" This is flat out disrespectful and should not be tolerated.
This is not allowed in sales listings and it's not allowed in Chat either. The chat rules have been updated to make that clearer:

Added for clarity:

Do not violate rule 6.1.1 by posting anything about another member's domains for sale that may devalue or hinder a sale. The only exception to this rule in chat is if the seller has requested opinions or commentary on their domains.

•••
@Eric Lyon - Thank you for sharing how to report a member in chat. Can that be added to the Chat Rules or Help page?

Actually both rules and help links go to the same page : grin :

•••
•••
**BUMP**

For your consideration, I would like to request to revisit the idea of ALWAYS selling in chat.

The Casual Weekend has been in place two months, I would venture to say most active chatters are enjoying the long selling weekends and has proven to be positive along side conversation. Allow ALWAYS would eliminate the confusion members are experiencing with the current allowed hours.

Last edited:
•••
*Allow ALWAYS would eliminate the confusion members are experiencing with the current allowed hours.

in Yoda voice

no confusion, rules ignored intentionally, problem it is...

respectful of guidelines, adherence, they feel, not apply to them.

staff, no see or not so important, uh, maybe

rules written for forum, chat part of forum, uh, then... rules apply to chat

hmmm

imo...

•••
**BUMP**

For your consideration, I would like to request to revisit the idea of ALWAYS selling in chat.

The Casual Weekend has been in place two months, I would venture to say most active chatters are enjoying the long selling weekends and has proven to be positive along side conversation. Allow ALWAYS would eliminate the confusion members are experiencing with the current allowed hours.

After first reading your suggestion of always selling the chat, I thought, nope, nope, nope. That was because I thought the chat would get spamy. However, now that I think of it, casual weekends are usually not spamy. The conversations are usually of higher quality due to more active chatters. I like this idea.

•••
Back