IT.COM

question Sell to a government organization?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

blast

Established Member
Impact
If you have a domain name that's perfect for a government organization or company, let's say nasa can you actually contact them and try to sell the domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Last edited:
•••
Unless you own a .gov domain, I don't fancy your chances. After all they use nasa.gov not nasa.com

I don't think government organisations are trying to increase visitor numbers to make money.

•••
•••
It has happened to me in the past though to accidentally own past governmental websites.
For example, I used to own a domain which used to belong to india's main governmental insurance.

As soon as I realised that I owned something that could lead into problems, I deleted the domain (or let it drop without any nameservers on... don't remember exactly).

The question the OP poses is an interesting one though,
could I have sold such a domain back to the government or maybe make an attempt?

•••
It has happened to me in the past though to accidentally own past governmental websites.
For example, I used to own a domain which used to belong to india's main governmental insurance.

As soon as I realised that I owned something that could lead into problems, I deleted the domain (or let it drop without any nameservers on... don't remember exactly).

The question the OP poses is an interesting one though,
could I have sold such a domain back to the government or maybe make an attempt?
What kind of problems? it's called free trade. I recall reading a news article that Russia.com sold for x,xxx,xxx. If they want it (the domain name) they will offer something. but they wont try to take it from you by force, or file a lawsuit against you without the proper registrations.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back