Domain Empire

See you around

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Namepros forced me to change my avatar- Do you find it or me disturbing

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    5.6%
  • No

votes
    94.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Elad n

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One of the worst things people tend to do is take a stance and then beat their head against the wall defending that stance. I think in this case this applies both to Elad and his refusal to listen to the mods' request to change the pic (which I personally, like pretty much everybody else, have no problem with- though I wouldn't have used it as my own pic) and to the mods who are locked into a mindset that's clearly not sitting well with members, especially since it's being delivered by a now nameless and faceless entity that speaks in plural, in a didactic manner and therefore kinda comes off more like a bot than a person (The Borg from Star Trek comes to mind). People don't like conversing with entities that come off as cold and "beurocratic", and I feel like that may be a big part of the problem.

IMO, choosing a non confrontational approach can often be more beneficial than burning bridges. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think changing a pic, as annoying as it is when you don't agree with the request, is something that needs to escalate into leaving NamePros. We're guests here and we have to accept the rules and what mods request us to do. But at the same time, if we think they're wrong- we should and can discuss it in order to try to change things. And the mods shouldn't take such a confrontational approach either, with mass infractions, restrictions and what not. Feeling right or even being objectively right in a situation, if such a thing is even possible- often isn't as productive as being smart about it and being able to admit making mistakes, compromise, discuss improvement in an empathic manner etc.

As for the Pro status- I also got a message a couple of months ago about the option to be a pro. I don't feel the urge to join an exclusive club people need to endorse me for- so I left it alone. Not sure what's the deal with being accepted and then Pros being able to vote other Pros out. Sounds weird and makes me glad I didn't try to join.

Either way- @Mod Team Bravo , I hope you guys can make NamePros a fun place to be at while steering it in the direction you want. You clearly have a plan to make NP more professional and want people to understand that and behave accordingly, but I think there's a better way to achieve that without being so confrontational, didactic and impersonal. Elad was a great member and contributed a lot. Let's not turn NP into a war zone between members and mods and cause other great members to leave.

Last edited:
•••
Speaking of 1980s, the whole doublespeak is reminiscent of 1984. War is peace...

•••
The poll is a red herring, folks.

Whether we agree or not, the issue was that NP found the avatar to be unprofessional. They never told the OP that it (or he) was offensive or disturbing.

•••

Whether we agree or not, the issue was that NP found the avatar to be unprofessional. They never told the OP that it (or he) was offensive or disturbing.

Joe, while it appears that is the statement being made.

It's just a profile picture. Re-instate it and move forward.

Regardless of their take on it -- community weigh-in is in favor of allowing that picture to stay.

This comes on the backs of a future system where the administration will be allowing community policing in forum threads as mentioned here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/help-namepros-decide-on-community-driven-moderation.904576/

This policy will be implemented in the future as well -- as it was brought up as of recent with the most recent EPIK threads this month.

Community input will be what rules the forums when it comes to quality control in the future.

Last edited:
•••

It is not a red herring in my view. If NamePros really wants to empower people, the results of the poll are crystal clear. Is this a community?

Brad

•••
Joe, while it appears that is the statement being made.

It's just a profile picture. Re-instate it and move forward.

Regardless of their take on it -- community weigh-in is in favor of allowing that picture to stay.

This comes on the backs of a future system where the administration will be allowing community policing in forum threads as mentioned here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/help-namepros-decide-on-community-driven-moderation.904576/

This policy will be implemented in the future as well -- as it was brought up as of recent with the most recent EPIK threads.
If they re-instate it at this point, they reward the member who threw a tantrum and started a tire fire. I knew Elad to be a solid member as well, but his reaction was the opposite of productive.

Like it or not, we don't make the rules on this forum. If we don't like them, we all know where the door is.

•••
It is not a red herring in my view. If NamePros really wants to empower people, the results of the poll are crystal clear. Is this a community?

Brad
I just mean that Elad asked an inaccurate question with the goal of being overly dramatic and getting people fired up.

Looks like it worked.

•••
It seems that a lot of people are treating this issue as a lightning rod for dis-satisfaction with certain aspects of how the forum is run.

Why not use that positively? Productively? Mocking someone who is trying to do their job isn't going to get your voice heard.

•••
It seems that a lot of people are treating this issue as a lightning rod for dis-satisfaction with certain aspects of how the forum is run.

Why not use that positively? Productively? Mocking someone who is trying to do their job isn't going to get your voice heard.

Fair enough. But when the issues are addressed, and nothing ever changes sometimes parody is appropriate.

This is a tip of the iceberg type thing. It is hard to just see it as an isolated issue.

I think most people would agree the mods overreached, refuse to back down, and then have said things that I think are damaging to the sense of community in this thread.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I just mean that Elad asked an inaccurate question with the goal of being overly dramatic and getting people fired up.

Looks like it worked.

How do you know what Elads goal was? Maybe he was asking because he felt harshly dealt with.

Elad asked the mod what was wrong with the picture.

The mod replied "We don't allow offensive, unprofessional or unfriendly profile pictures"

Its easy to see why Elad might have thought his profile was deemed offensive if a member had reported it has such.

You saying his goal was to fire people up is a bit unfair if you ask me.

•••

Define professional for avatars. Maybe, another mod will find your avatar unprofessional. Striped shirt reminding of lumberjack more than domain investor, not cleanly shaved, not a pro setting... So, where do we draw a line?

•••
Opinion from a newbie:

Without individually going for Elad's avatar based on someone's report, team should have announced a notice for everyone that we're working on taking NP to this level (more like LinkedIn or etc).

We request every members follow these instructions to help with our plans. Plus your suggestions are appreciated.

Then nobody would get offended personally.

(Personally, I don't want members like Elad leave us.)

Last edited:
•••
You son of a bitch you mean you are not Alan Alda? I told friends I did business with a celebrity.
I wish there was a lmao option, 'like' didn't quite cover it.

•••
Like it or not, we don't make the rules on this forum. If we don't like them, we all know where the door is.

You seem to not get the point that no rules were broken. Quote the rule Elad broke.

•••
If you have sensitivity issues to a picture, you need serious therapy. You’re clearly just angry or don’t have much of a life.

This is one of the more bizarre cases I’ve seen on NP, aside from them saying an asking price isn’t buy it now 😆

Last edited:
•••
You were issued a warning because of your behavior. Do you say, “wtf are you even talking about” to your coworkers and boss in an office environment? If so, then you are the perfect example of a member who will either learn to behave professionally or be removed from NamePros.

In case you missed it, NamePros has expectations for respect; we expect you to be respectful to every member. It can be described as:

Do you see us speaking to anyone that way?

Be respectful or leave. It’s that simple.

Edited: Post clarified. We were not calling moderators your boss. We were saying you should treat everyone on NamePros as professionally as you would treat your boss.

I am going to start a new thread on this specifically. I think it is completely inappropriate this member ended up with a 85%-100% restriction level for this.

Brad

•••
The relevant matter is whether it is considered professional to have a picture of a scene from a movie where the person is trying to kill someone. The answer is no, it is not professional.

Not being funny but... you do know that movie isn't real life? It's acting... the actor is Jack Nicholson. Who is extremely well-known. How you came to this conclusion is totally bonkers to me.

There are plenty of traders who aren't "professional" in the world. You can be a joker and trade domains still right? Why do we have to take this so seriously?? I do this for a hobby...!!

Last edited:
•••
•••
I was a bit aggressive but this type of pattern shown here in this thread leads to concern.
We can save this topic for Brad's thread, but in short:

The mistreatment of people, including moderators, needs to stop and the only way we can do that is through restrictions and removals:
We have quite a ways to go, and that has been made clear in this thread when multiple members will freely attack and threaten moderators like it’s nothing. If you will treat a moderator that way, then you will absolutely treat others that way, and we are going to work hard to put a stop to it.

The procedure is: send a rule reminder/warning first. If it continues, then it escalates to a restriction. Finally, ban if we have no other choice. It may escalate faster depending on account history and the severity of the incident.

We hope to never need to restrict/ban anyone, but we don't have much choice if the member continues to violate the rules after 2-3 consecutive chances.

•••
Poll Question: Do you...?
a) find me offensive or disturbing
b) find my avatar offensive or disturbing
d) Both
c) None

My vote goes for NONE.

As well as, I'd appreciate if NP wants to make the forum more professional.

•••
We can save this topic for Brad's thread, but in short:

The mistreatment of people, including moderators, needs to stop and the only way we can do that is through restrictions and removals.
Or via open discussion.

Mistreating people shouldn’t be tolerated but silencing those in opposition should also be an option that is off the table.

•••
•••
Mistreating people shouldn’t be tolerated but silencing those in opposition should also be an option that is off the table.

I agree.

Brad

•••
Striped shirt reminding of lumberjack more than domain investor, not cleanly shaved, not a pro setting...
Lol. I had to look very close to see if you were right about me not being clean shaven.

You seem to not get the point that no rules were broken. Quote the rule Elad broke.
None that exists (that I know of), which is why I asked earlier on for the Mods to post a clear directive on this new direction/policy.

The point is that NP is in charge of moderation here. If they ask you to stop doing something, then stop. If you disagree with having been asked, then raise it to the community and/or the moderators in a respectful way so that it can be addressed (and maybe even reversed).

•••
I think that Mods do a great job moderating this forum, but I cannot agree with this decision. What can I say, I love "The Shining" :)

I understand they want the best for the forum, but having the freedom of having an avatar of your choice helps the freedom ambience of this forum, as long as it isn't unpleasant or disrespectful, and I don't think this one was disrespectful or disturbing.

We have to think that the Jack Torrance avatar has been used as the Front Cover for millions of DVD or movie tapes, so it's an iconic screenshot.

Also, I have to say that "The Shining" is a true Masterpiece :)
It includes 3 geniuses in one movie: The writer, Stephen King. The director, Stanley Kubrick and the main actor, Jack Nicholson.

I would like to say also that The Shining movie is a true acting masterclass by Jack Nicholson, and I think also that he is one of the best actors of all times, if not the best. That's my opinion! :)

So, please don't forget that it is just a screenshot of a movie, and not just an average movie... it is a true Masterpiece. :)

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back