Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sedo

VIP Member
Sedo.com Staff
Impact
Hi All! :hi:

By request, we've decided to start a thread dedicated to Sedo. We're looking for invaluable insight into what domainers want and need out of our parking program (and marketplace, of course).

Questions, comments, suggestions, tips are welcome! We're hoping this will be a great discussion about what works at Sedo and what might not (please be constructive and respectful to others in your feedback) so that everyone involved can benefit and learn from it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas! Happy Holidays!

Always,
Keith
(on behalf of Sedo)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I refuse to list at $99 start for some of the names they suggest $99 for. I did so for 2 domains over the past year and they sold for guess what????? $99 less their fee and I lost money on those sales. Never again.

Especially since the $99 suggested names are usually appraised by Sedo at $699, $999, and higher. Its almost a joke and a slap in the face. If Sedo values a name at $699 then why does its suggest $99 to start? Why not $499 or even $399? Their entire auction process is a joke.

I have a domain "'element".net , it was accepted into Great Domains auction with a reserve of $499 by SEDO .

two month later, i tried to list it with a 499 euro reserve for a GDA and it came back to me saying that the reserve should be 99 euros or less. When i tried to list it with $499 reserve, it didnt work. Strange people indeed

•••
I have a domain "'element".net , it was accepted into Great Domains auction with a reserve of $499 by SEDO .

two month later, i tried to list it with a 499 euro reserve for a GDA and it came back to me saying that the reserve should be 99 euros or less. When i tried to list it with $499 reserve, it didnt work. Strange people indeed

Another one today rejected for 1/2 of their suggested selling price of 1999. They didnt even want it to start at 999, instead they said it should start at 99. No way.

But what is even worse is that parked domains are randomly losing settings. All of my domains listed have advertising turned on. I do random checks and find that some no longer show ads. Also, the same thing with the templates -- they change for no reason at all. I set them up as having one template and random checks will reveal that they've changed. Keywords get erased from time to time... Its very scary to think that you dont even have control over your domain listings at Sedo.

•••
I don't think end users care about "domain age"

:imho:

Because an aged domain can be an advantage with regards to SEO (Google rankings), it can be an extra selling point. But I don't think someone buys a domain just because it is old...

•••
Great thread. Loads of information and insights for individuals like myself who are new to using Sedo.

Maybe some frequent sellers can provide some current information on what kind of commission sedo takes off domain sales (under $500, and over $500) - I read that the percentage was increasing.

Maybe some namepros vet domain sellers can provide insights on 1. selling domains direct to end user
in comparison to using a service like sedo. Is it worth using the service and losing a percentage? do they help overcome the hurdles.

Cheers!

Outlast

•••
20% commission is ridiculous. This is robbery and I am no longer taking part in this.

•••
I could never understand why people complain on fees when we all know that most domainers usually ask 100%, 500%, 1000% or more when they sell a domain. John Doe pays $10 to $60 for a domain and ask $500 - $1000 or more but still complain on Sedo's fees. Why don't you guys price your domains 20% higher?

Sedo, Afternic and all the big marketplaces have thousands of potential buyers, thats why they charge. They built a reputation, they escrow your domain, they do everything - you just list your domain and if its really good, wait a bit and collect the profit...boy thats easy! :)

People complaining about the fees should ask other domainers how many hours they spend searching for potential end users, sending emails, negotiating, etc...thats hard work for an extra 20% IF you find the right buyer by yourself....I'd rather let Sedo or Afternic do all this for 20%

Just my 2c...

•••
Loredan, I agree.

20% is a lot but nobody is forced to use the services of Sedo. For low value domains it's not worth it.
But as you said, the markup is high in this business.

If you have good domains, end users will find you. The platform is not that important.
You can cut the middleman and do the escrow yourself. But you'll also have to take the buyer by the hand, domain transfers are not always easy. Buyers will not always accept a push and some registrars are problematic to deal with. With ccTLDs a push is not always possible, you need to know how things work. Sedo knows how to handle pretty much every situation.
One benefit of using Sedo is that they speak many languages. They also handle currency conversions. If buyers make offers in USD, you can still get paid in EUR.

PS: godaddy has a commission structure that is even more outrageous.

•••
Agree with Loredan as well. Some good points there. If Sedo can effectively handle the middle man responsibilities its worth the 20%.

•••
People complaining about the fees should ask other domainers how many hours they spend searching for potential end users, sending emails, negotiating, etc...thats hard work for an extra 20% IF you find the right buyer by yourself....I'd rather let Sedo or Afternic do all this for 20%

Just my 2c...

But Sedo don't do any of this ....

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Because an aged domain can be an advantage with regards to SEO (Google rankings), it can be an extra selling point. But I don't think someone buys a domain just because it is old...

Most end users don't care about the age if they really want the name ...

•••
•••
when does sedo send out payment

Hello there,
I want to know when sedo.com send out payment,my earning for october is 58 euros.

Regards
Jesse ESIN

•••
Hello there,
I want to know when sedo.com send out payment,my earning for october is 58 euros.

Regards
Jesse ESIN

I recommend you to contact Sedo support by chat/email/phone directly.

Personally, I like the chat, they answer your questions and solve the problems very fast.

•••
Recently Sedo sent me an email asking for a copy of my id and a recent utility bill or credit card statement . Been a member almost 10 years, anybody else get one ?

•••
Recently Sedo sent me an email asking for a copy of my id and a recent utility bill or credit card statement . Been a member almost 10 years, anybody else get one ?

Oh how weird. Did they give you a reason why they wanted those things?

•••
Hello there,

Regards
Jesse ESIN

Log into Sedo. Under the "My Sedo" tab, click on "My Account". Next click on the "Payment Details" tab. From here, you can set your payout threshold to be from $20 to $1000 ( not sure what amounts are shown in euros).

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Are you trying to make a sizable purchase?

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

I could never understand why people complain on fees when we all know that most domainers usually ask 100%, 500%, 1000% or more when they sell a domain. John Doe pays $10 to $60 for a domain and ask $500 - $1000 or more but still complain on Sedo's fees. Why don't you guys price your domains 20% higher?

Come on! You know that's a simplification. It's true that I might buy a domain for $10 and sell it for substantially more, but my real cost is not just $10 because the profit I make on every domain I sell also has to cover the expense of every domain that I don't sell.

•••
No, not trying to make a purchase, nothing unusual has happened, said it was a " regular security check " , never had to provide such info before .

•••
•••

Even I was asked to verify my details mentioned with sedo by providing ID proof & utility bill. They never mentioned the reason, just said that it was routine checkup marked by the system. I provided the needed stuffs & all was ok thr after...

•••
I just submitted 2 of my quality domains to sedo. lets see if they get excepted. Im only into quality exact match keyword domains.

•••
Does anyone know Sedo's phone and support numbers?

I think a buyer is trying to pull a fast one by using Sedo's supposedly hard to reach customer service as an excuse to back out on a deal, already agreed.

thanks,

•••
•••
Does anyone know Sedo's phone and support numbers?

I think a buyer is trying to pull a fast one by using Sedo's supposedly hard to reach customer service as an excuse to back out on a deal, already agreed.

thanks,

doesnt matter. sedo wont do a darn thing. no brokerage will actually. the entire domain sales business model is broken.

•••
Can you insert your sedo affiliate link in your own sedo listing? I mean can you as a sedo affiliate list your own domain on sedo, copy the domains sale`s page , insert your affiliate id in the link and send to buyers.

Couldnt find an answer on their website

•••
Can you insert your sedo affiliate link in your own sedo listing? I mean can you as a sedo affiliate list your own domain on sedo, copy the domains sale`s page , insert your affiliate id in the link and send to buyers.

Couldnt find an answer on their website

Yeah you can, but if a you wouldn't get the commission on that sale.

•••
So it means its not allowed. Why would I want to put my affiliate id in a link if not to get paid a commission?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back