IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sedo

VIP Member
Sedo.com Staff
Impact
Hi All! :hi:

By request, we've decided to start a thread dedicated to Sedo. We're looking for invaluable insight into what domainers want and need out of our parking program (and marketplace, of course).

Questions, comments, suggestions, tips are welcome! We're hoping this will be a great discussion about what works at Sedo and what might not (please be constructive and respectful to others in your feedback) so that everyone involved can benefit and learn from it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas! Happy Holidays!

Always,
Keith
(on behalf of Sedo)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was getting ready to list some Domains for sale on Sedo..... and now I am NOT going to list anything!

About Sedo's Redesign:

So much wasted space on the selling pages.
Clean it up, take out the red: " 3 people are watching this domain",
Nothing but a distraction and useless.... it only serves to irritate your customers.

Bring back the spreadsheet like listings.... this is true form follows function. It is simple and allows one to see something like 25 domains. This is a big help is searching comps!

Give us back ALL!! ALL!!! the search options that existed before the redesign!

We cannot chose:
Contains
At the beginning
At the end

HATE the BLACK headers/footers and huge promo graphics.... it is depressing....makes me feel like I am at a funeral. Go back to Sedo Blue! The footer is 10 inches tall on my monitor, it takes up the whole screen!!!!
so much wasted space.

I think some wanna be designer did not consider how the layout and design would show up on Desktop monitors, (27 inch 32 inch and larger). Go ahead and just slap me in the face!

The promo graphics are so huge, that it takes me 7 scrolls with my mouse to get to the bottom of the page!

Sorry Sedo, it is frustrating when we feel a loss of control and have no say regarding the website redesign. You build the website for your customers, not for some insider who thinks fluff and pretty will serve a purpose.

I am so disappointed with y'all. Please fix this.:xf.cry:

•••
@Sedo

1.png

About the fee structure for Buy Now sales

a) Name servers pointed at Sedo + b) Buy Now or Best Offer option --> 10% commission "if the domain is sold directly through the Sedo marketplace."

What if a) and b) are in place BUT the domain is sold through SedoMLS on a partner site?
20% commission?

What if b) (Buy Now or Best Offer option) is in place but not a) i.e. name servers are NOT pointed at SEDO?
20% commission (irrespective of which marketplace the sale takes place on)?

If that was already answered, a link to the relevant post will do it.
Thanks!

•••
Your AI detection system is not very good. If it picks up something, before suspending a domain, let an actual human verify first

I just received the following email from SEDO.

What is the offensive word? Is it "Las Vegas" or "Jewelry". :facepalm:

AI really is the future...

sedo.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Rest assured, we're here to help resolve any issues with domains that got blocked, but should get another review. Therefore, we kindly request that you reach out to us at [email protected] email address associated with your Sedo account. They will review the situation promptly and provide further assistance.

Best regards,
Your Sedo Team
You responded to me on Twitter and in this thread. You have all the details you need to send it to the right department.

There should be no reason that I have to waste more time and energy to contact support.

I mentioned this mainly to highlight the absurdity of the "AI" system that is being used.

You know when a term like "las vegas jewelry" is flagged, but antijew.com and antijews.com are listed on the SEDO marketplace.

Whatever AI system you are using clearly has problems and should not be relied upon without some level of manual supervision.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Sedo... this is the most backward thinking update I have ever seen. You can't even search for "starts/end with a particular keyword". And only showing 6 domains at a time, you have to manually click on "Show More Results". I mean, who is this update for? Change for the sake of change is not good especially when seemingly no thought is given to functionality, usability, and overall UX. Sedo finally gets the oppurtunity to take advantage of people wanting an alternative to Godaddy/Afternic and they go and do this? I've done a lot of buying on Sedo in past and this new setup is no longer usable. You guys need to higher some fresh young blood with forward thinking ideas instead of this crap you're looking to push. Hopefully this is just an accidental release of an Alpha product... yes... that's it.

•••
@Sedo. I see you have deleted your latest message regarding the new search page.

So besides from removing most search parameters, you now run auctions where we cannot even see the current bids without clicking on each domain individually.

1684833735270.png

Here at NamePros, you have access to free feedback from some of your biggest and most experienced customers. Yet you choose to implement these changes without warning and then plan to maybe ask for feedback later. I just don't get it to be honest.

Last edited:
•••
fyi

once again it is such a pain to try to list on sedo

usually I change all dns first then add, take about 1hour to approve

This time 18 still pending, dns set to sedo parking 2 days ago, 1 email ticket summited, and then I got the 10 day warning email and called support today.

Lady didn't have much to say other than a bug and tech team is one it.

sedo is so frustrating, waiting for them connect so I can change dns to dan and efty so i don't have to redo this process.

I honestly almost about done with sedo and why i hardly bother to list my names there most the time .

...rant over

•••
•••
Dear Sedo Team,

I hope this message finds you well. As a long-time user of Sedo’s services, I appreciate the platform’s historical significance and its role in shaping the domain industry. However, I’d like to share some observations and thoughts regarding the need for innovation.
  1. Platform Modernization: While Sedo has been a trailblazer in the domain market, it’s evident that the website and platform could benefit from a fresh perspective. As technology evolves rapidly, user experiences become increasingly critical. A more intuitive, responsive, and visually appealing interface would enhance Sedo’s appeal to both seasoned domain investors and newcomers.
  2. Industry Trends and Decline in Aftermarkets: The domain industry is undergoing significant changes. Consolidations and acquisitions have led to a decline in the number of domain aftermarkets. To remain competitive, it’s crucial for Sedo to stay ahead of the curve. Innovations are not just desirable; they are essential for survival.
  3. Anticipating the Future: Sedo’s historical context uniquely positions it to anticipate Future trends. What innovations does Sedo envision? Sharing insights on these topics would be invaluable to the community.
  4. Collaboration and Leadership: Sedo’s reputation as a leader in the domain industry extends beyond its platform. By fostering collaboration, Sedo can drive innovation collectively. Perhaps partnerships with startups, tech incubators, or industry experts could yield fresh ideas and solutions.
Your insights and forward-thinking approach matter greatly to all of us who engage with domains daily.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Warm regards,

Future Sensors

•••
Man, I didn't have to read the rest of your message because it is disgusting. Just because they are a customer rep does not give you the right or temerity to speak with them however it pleases you, neither should they like your ass or bow at your feat.

You approach reeks of a disorganised person. Learn to speak to people politely and they will reciprocate by same measures because your aren't talking to robots on the other end but humans with feelings just like your fucked brain.

•••
•••
•••
•••
You responded to me on Twitter and in this thread. You have all the details you need to send it to the right department.

There should be no reason that I have to waste more time and energy to contact support.

I mentioned this mainly to highlight the absurdity of the "AI" system that is being used.

You know when a term like "las vegas jewelry" is flagged, but antijew.com and antijews.com are listed on the SEDO marketplace.

Whatever AI system you are using clearly has problems and should not be relied upon without some level of manual supervision.

Brad
It looks like SEDO removed the domains mentioned from their marketplace.

My guess is it was not via the "AI" system, but rather a manual removal after this was highlighted.

My domain has not been added back, and I have no intention of contacting SEDO support about it. There is no more information they should need from me.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Maybe they are running some "self-verification" automation process to purge old domains listed without previous verification.
That is a good hypothesis, and would probably be a good thing to periodically do, but that is not the case here.

They removed about 160 domains from my account on the same day every one else is reporting, Feb 14. Every single one was a standard listing at SquadHelp, that had been initially verified by me when names added at Sedo, and were all still held by me.

Even though I did not have syndication for standard listings turned on at SquadHelp, clearly there was a bug for many of us all at the same date and one hour period on Feb 14.

Eventually Sedo did confirm to me that they were now listed under SquadHelp.

I have tried multiple queries to SquadHelp, that were responded, but never a clear statement on what happened and if it has been fixed.

I had originally invested the effort to keep Sedo and SH Standard listings separate, because I preferred that.

I think that SquadHelp and Sedo need to make a clear statement to the community on this, and the steps in place to make sure it will not happen again.

UPDATE: Apparently some who contacted them very recently did get such a statement, on the error that lead to it and steps to make it not an issue in the future.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
I could never understand why people complain on fees when we all know that most domainers usually ask 100%, 500%, 1000% or more when they sell a domain. John Doe pays $10 to $60 for a domain and ask $500 - $1000 or more but still complain on Sedo's fees. Why don't you guys price your domains 20% higher?

Sedo, Afternic and all the big marketplaces have thousands of potential buyers, thats why they charge. They built a reputation, they escrow your domain, they do everything - you just list your domain and if its really good, wait a bit and collect the profit...boy thats easy! :)

People complaining about the fees should ask other domainers how many hours they spend searching for potential end users, sending emails, negotiating, etc...thats hard work for an extra 20% IF you find the right buyer by yourself....I'd rather let Sedo or Afternic do all this for 20%

Just my 2c...

•••
Sedo should really consider putting some staff on during the weekends ASAP or at least have people there on Saturdays. It doesn't help either with time zones. They're 6 hours ahead of the U.S. so Friday is practically an out-of-commission/weekend day too if you get a sale in the morning. That's a 3-day standstill during the week just to get the ball rolling on a sale that was paid for immediately.

Last edited:
•••
Sedo should really consider putting some staff on during the weekends ASAP or at least have people there on Saturdays.

Every time I get sales on Thursday/Friday buyers and I have to wait until Monday to move things along when I have motivated buyers who paid instantly and are ready and waiting to get things over with.
At least your getting sales. Sedo is horrible

•••
Another pile of new purchases added this weekend and a few "stuck" domains that will seemingly not approve. Again, all domains have the ID Code on the DNS, freely viewable by any DNS tool, but there is never any movement at Sedo.

They're just "stuck".

Sent an email to Sedo Security - no reply and this issue is becoming chronic.

Last edited:
•••
After years of experience, I have decided not to work with Sedo anymore.

The website is old, many things in the management panel do not work as it should, the support flow is extremely slow, etc. Although there are many problems, they do not offer any solutions or innovations and continue to receive high commissions.

The critique of all of them is that they do not get involved in the make offer stage even though they receive 15-20% commission!

Afternic takes 20%, but as we have heard from the examples that are openly shared in the market, their brokers are working well. They do their best to reach the target by creating a reliable bridge between the buyer and the seller.

By offering a solid infrastructure and a transparent messaging screen, DAN asks for 9% and can engage an effective player like MediaOptions in negotiations with an extra 11% commission.

But when it comes to Sedo, it's a huge void! Just... Nothing!

If I'm going to do everything myself at every stage and my so-called partner will sit idle at the table, why would I share a large 1/5 piece of the cake?!

Goodbye Sedo.

I hope we never have to meet again.

•••
As it was a PM, I'll leave it up to Sedo to divulge.. but basically the answer was no.

:xf.smile:
Some quick googling revealed that opt-out of SedoMLS is (only?) possible from within the registrar -- not through Sedo, as I understand it.

@Sedo Is that correct?

Last edited:
•••
A Namepros member asked recently whether writing a good description makes a difference in terms of sales. Has Sedo noticed any increased sales associated with good descriptions on your marketplace landers? Also, are you noticing any increase in sales using the sl1/2 vs. the ns1/2 parking landers?
Hello,

Thank you for your comment.

The offer description does not seem to have any noticeable affect on the final decision to purchase of domain sales. This is because with most sales, purely the domain name is being sold, in most cases with a fixed price. Although if a seller truly has important information about the domain, such as included trademarks, more domains in the portfolio with various TLDs or what the keyword means in the specific language, it is useful to add an offer description as it could explain the pricing of the domain.

Sedo's sales landers are designed to be minimalist and therefore do not show offer descriptions on them. Also offer descriptions only show on domains listed as Make Offer. Buy Now domains do not show an offer description.

The reason why the description does not show on Buy Now listings is because we tested our marketplace, and there is a higher chance of the domain selling if after the buyer clicks Buy Now: They are forwarded directly to the purchasing page, skipping the domain description. This is why an offer description does not show on domains listed solely as a Buy Now domain. One of our findings was that when a overview page is showing with a description after clicking Buy Now the purchase rate decreases significantly. As a standard we have forwarded all domains listed as Buy Now directly to the payment page skipping the overview page.

With regards to the new sales landers, we can confirm that they are performing extremely well and we are continually monitoring the performance of the new sales lander and making changes where needed to make sure the pages are optimized as much as possible for selling.

Should you have any further questions, please reach out to our customer support team directly via [email protected].

Best regards,
Your Sedo Team

•••
Sedo, sorry for this comment. I love SEDO and love how you do things.

EXCEPT....your website redesign is terrible! REALLY stupid.

Remember, you build the website for your readers and users!
Web design is subjective, the design speaks to the reader/user...

the web design hits them at a ***subconscious level*** some folks don't realize they are getting a negative vibe from a website BECAUSE of the design.... colors, fonts, layout, sizing affects your customers! They just leave because they don't like it.

Give me back form and function.... the ability to select my search parameters....

Pretty and fluff is useless....Huge sections with huge graphics is wasted space. It slaps you in the face. I don't care how many people are watching a domain name.... the comment is clutter, distracting and useless.

Give me back the old SEDO!!!

•••
If the plan was to further decrease your market share, this is actually perfect.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back