Afternic - Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros!
By popular demand, we have launched a dedicated feedback thread for Afternic, the GoDaddy-owned domain name marketplace.

We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not meant for support. Please email our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hi all, I have an issue with afternic and have been unable to receive a payment for several domain sales from last year due to a technical error on their site and I keep getting the standard run around from their support. They ask the same questions, telling me to change the payment method, which I've done months ago, and then stop responding. It's been like that for months now, and even my godaddy VIP support can't seem to help.
Any advice how to resolve this? I've since paused all the current afternic sales since I can't be sure I'll be paid due the lack of any support or accountability there, and also considering moving the domains away,
Hi @DomainMagnate
We'll DM you - let's make sure this is fixed for you.

•••
@GoDaddy

At times, after adjusting BIN prices on Afternic, it takes quite a while for these updated prices to be reflected across all Afternic Premium partners. Could you please explain what occurs when a domain is purchased through a partner that still displays the old price? Additionally, is there a maximum duration within which these partners are expected to update to the new prices?

•••
@GoDaddy

At times, after adjusting BIN prices on Afternic, it takes quite a while for these updated prices to be reflected across all Afternic Premium partners. Could you please explain what occurs when a domain is purchased through a partner that still displays the old price? Additionally, is there a maximum duration within which these partners are expected to update to the new prices?
Hi @Future Sensors
The majority of BIN price adjustments are updated quickly, but in some cases it can take up to 24-48 hours to syndicate, depending on the distribution partner and the number of updates that are made.

•••
Hi @Future Sensors
The majority of BIN price adjustments are updated quickly, but in some cases it can take up to 24-48 hours to syndicate, depending on the distribution partner and the number of updates that are made.
Thanks. And the other part of my question, what would the answer be to that? This specifically concerns partners who do not update the price quickly and the consequences of a possible sale that occurs during that period.

Could you please explain what occurs when a domain is purchased through a partner that still displays the old price? Additionally, is there a maximum duration within which these partners are expected to update to the new prices?

Last edited:
•••
Will post here in the hope that someone from Afternic or GoDaddy will hopefully respond. The issue: Searches for domain keywords in GoDaddy do not produce aftermarket domains listed for sale in Afternic or Dan.

For example with GoDaddy domain search, I have Columbia.info for sale but it does not appear for "Columbia".
NewOrleans.biz for sale but it does not appear for "New Orleans".
Surfside.homes for sale but does not appear for "Surfside".
Security.business for sale, but doesn't appear for "Security".
Golf.miami for sale, but doesn't appear for "Golf Miami". Oddly, GolfMiami.miami is shown as available. Go figure.

You get the idea. There are numerous exact match domains like these above, but none of them even appear in a basic search. Although I see many permuations shown as available like: surfsideloco.com, surfside.cloud, surfside.sucks, surfsidezone.com.

Does GoDaddy have any plan for displaying matching, high-quality aftermarket domains for sale or lease? An AI-driven interface would certainly display American.energy for a search of "American energy", right?

•••
Thanks. And the other part of my question, what would the answer be to that? This specifically concerns partners who do not update the price quickly and the consequences of a possible sale that occurs during that period.

Could you please explain what occurs when a domain is purchased through a partner that still displays the old price? Additionally, is there a maximum duration within which these partners are expected to update to the new prices?
I had a similar experience last week. I handreg a domain and listed it at Sedo, Afternic and Dan. Then I checked the Dan lander, everything's correct. Half hour later, I received Dan's email stating the domain was sold for $99 via distribution network, but my price is xxxx. I've never listed it for $99, so I asked Dan to cancel the transaction. Luckily it was cancelled. That's why it's important that the price should be updated fast.

•••
I had a similar experience last week. I handreg a domain and listed it at Sedo, Afternic and Dan. Then I checked the Dan lander, everything's correct. Half hour later, I received Dan's email stating the domain was sold for $99 via distribution network, but my price is xxxx. I've never listed it for $99, so I asked Dan to cancel the transaction. Luckily it was cancelled. That's why it's important that the price should be updated fast.
Was there any explanation why it was sold on the distribution network at such a low price, and one that you had not authorized?

•••
Was there any explanation why it was sold on the distribution network at such a low price, and one that you had not authorized?
Dashboard-Dan-com.png

No reason was given, and I've never listed that minimum price. If I had priced that, I'll honor the deal.

•••
Show attachment 255771
No reason was given, and I've never listed that minimum price. If I had priced that, I'll honor the deal.
It is very simple as the previous owner before expiration set the price $99. After domain was expired You handreged it. The problem is that a company with a billion budget buys lot of marketplaces but is not able to implement a single universal check for all its sites. For example, you have confirmed the property on Afternic. This fact should be automatically indicated everywhere and other listings must be removed. This does not happen. GD politics resembles the army of Alexander the Great. At first he seized other states, and then he could not manage them. And after his death due to ineffective control his empire broke up.

Last edited:
•••
Show attachment 255771
It's very concerning that your actual listing price was not an immediate, mandatory override of any older listings. As a quality assurance measure, wouldn't the distribution partner be required to recheck the central listing at Dan first, before completing the sale?

It is very simple as the previous owner before expiration set the price $99. After domain was expired You handreged it. The problem is that a company with a billion budget buys lot of marketplaces but is not able to implement a single universal check for all its sites.
Would this be simple to fix?

•••
Would this be simple to fix?
This is not a question for me, but for GD. Buying domain markets, they sought monopolism, that is, to be the only large world domain platform. Let they introduce the only domain owner check for domains listed at all their sites. For example, if someone wants to list domains at Dan or Afternic they may require prove the right to ownat their head site Godaddy.com . This problem can be solved in many ways. Only this company does not pay me a salary, on the contrary, they deprived me of my domain, simply forbid access to it. I will never use themfor domain registrations. But I like marketplaces that they bought and I do not want to lose the opportunity to trade there. Therefore, I express my thoughts here.

Hi @GoDaddy.
We need a single universal domain owner check in one place for all your sites!

Last edited:
•••
Hey @GoDaddy,

Two ideas for afternic:

1.Could you please implement folders within afternic accounts? I believe it would be useful to be able to separate domains within one's account for better management/pricing. Like to separate higher priced domains, different extensions, etc and manage settings in bulk for such groups.

2. Be able to automate price reductions for domains. Like after X amount of time, if domain hasn't sold, reduce the price to a specific amount.

•••
Bulk tools are 100% needed. We need a bulk search tool. If I have 50 domains I want to delete, I should be able to bulk search with a pasted list of the 50 domains and delete them all at once. Right now, a seller has to go one by one and delete them individually. Similarly, if I have 100 domains that I have renewed and want to view and adjust pricing for that group, I should be able to bulk search with a pasted list of those 100 names and easily edit them. Right now, I have to go one by one and do this which takes a very long time. If I have 200 names that I want to price at a certain price, I should be able to do that with a bulk search and edit the price.

•••
Bulk tools are 100% needed. We need a bulk search tool. If I have 50 domains I want to delete, I should be able to bulk search with a pasted list of the 50 domains and delete them all at once. Right now, a seller has to go one by one and delete them individually. Similarly, if I have 100 domains that I have renewed and want to view and adjust pricing for that group, I should be able to bulk search with a pasted list of those 100 names and easily edit them. Right now, I have to go one by one and do this which takes a very long time. If I have 200 names that I want to price at a certain price, I should be able to do that with a bulk search and edit the price.
Funny and tragic at the same time, cos this request is literally the 2nd posting in this long thread, and still, it's not possible to bulk delete domains.

Last edited:
•••
@GoDaddy! Halloo! Where are you? Where are your famous team? Why do you ignore our questions? I ask you to answer immediately. You are cunning that many buyers did not use Afternic search. It is not true. Afternic is much better than Godaddy Marketplace! Most domainers whom I asked, want to return domain search at Afternic. Send it to your management. Previously, knowing the name of one domain, I could see the seller’s portfolio. Now this is impossible. Your team makes terrible acts and does not try to fix them. Please returnn domain search at Afternic

Last edited:
•••

Hi @Future Sensors
Afternic's membership agreement (Part 7, B7) explains that in the rare scenario you describe, the seller is obligated to complete the transaction.

Hey @GoDaddy,

Two ideas for afternic:

1.Could you please implement folders within afternic accounts? I believe it would be useful to be able to separate domains within one's account for better management/pricing. Like to separate higher priced domains, different extensions, etc and manage settings in bulk for such groups.

2. Be able to automate price reductions for domains. Like after X amount of time, if domain hasn't sold, reduce the price to a specific amount.
Hi @werty
At the moment, bulk adjustments can be made through the CSV function at Afternic. However, we're investigating the possibility of using folders or something similar for improved management of domains. We don't have plans for automated price reductions, but we'll make sure that Afternic's product team sees your feature suggestion.

Funny and tragic at the same time, cos this request is literally the 2nd posting in this long thread, and still, it's not possible to bulk delete domains.
Hi @Bearded Goat and @Future Sensors
Thanks to user feedback, bulk tools are in the works. We'll be sharing more about bulk management of domains at Afternic later this year.

•••
@Bearded Goat - For years we've been saying this.

For years they've been thanking us for the feedback.

The only changes we see are those that actually make it less efficient and more difficult to bulk manage.

The irony here is, the copy & paste option does exist.

Unfortunately it only exists to bulk edit landers.

It's so ridiculously absurd, it's...well...as @Future Sensors said, "Funny and tragic at the same time."

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back