Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sedo

VIP Member
Sedo.com Staff
Impact
Hi All! :hi:

By request, we've decided to start a thread dedicated to Sedo. We're looking for invaluable insight into what domainers want and need out of our parking program (and marketplace, of course).

Questions, comments, suggestions, tips are welcome! We're hoping this will be a great discussion about what works at Sedo and what might not (please be constructive and respectful to others in your feedback) so that everyone involved can benefit and learn from it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas! Happy Holidays!

Always,
Keith
(on behalf of Sedo)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,

I apologize you received unsatisfactory service with your brokerage order. Please contact [email protected] regarding this issue. If you still do not receive a response, you can PM me with the information regarding this order and I will bring to the attention of the Director of Brokerage.

Stephanie

I have sent a message to both you via private message AND the email address you gave me regarding the problem I had with Sedo never contacting the actual domain owner and I have yet to get a response back from either.

•••
Sedo.com 2-Character .Com Auction

Sedo will conduct an auction for 2-character .com domains from November 5th to November 12th. Application phase has already begun and we’re searching domains for our catalog until October 22nd.

Please submit your applications via Domain Brokerage - Sedo.co.uk.

Stephanie

•••
Hold the front page - Sedo's premium results for September 2009 are IN! :O

Check these:-

americanteams.com 143
newhomebuys.com 150
brail.net 121
corrective.com 120
roulettes.fr 120
demeure.com 110
appraisal.de 100
scanner.es 100
orts.info 90
sonnie.com 90
xgks.com 90
lorianna.com 80
stocked.net 80
blackrum.com 75
avord.com 70
benfeld.com 70
holborn.net 70
lagnieu.com 70
mornas.com 70
vertientes.com 70
villecresnes.com 70

holborn.net was one of only 3 to get a fanfare on the homepage splash...it got all of 70 bucks :sold: :kickass:

And what about these poor creatures. NO bids:-

abkommen.net
appeloffre.com
barbra.org :notme:
longueau.com
paramedicale.fr
propertiesspain.co.uk
social-networking.co.uk
speechmark.co.uk

No disrespect to any genuine sellers who submitted these and lucked out to get a free promo ride, but come on, as I indicated before, there was little chance it was going to be worth anyone's time to list these in a 'premium' auction. Are names of this ilk supposed to be the very finest that domaining has to offer!?

Sedo certainly makes it out that way, but it's a farce. I see better names in the bargain bins here on a regular basis :lol:

Idea! They could hand over the reins for premiums for 3 months to myself and a few other peeps on here as a lil experiment. Faced with the stark facts, how could it lose? :wave:

Nobody stepping up to take on my bet shows that at least the level of smarts in this place is a cut above the average B-)

Wonder if john_eldorado finally got some satisfaction for the $101 phone call :$:edo made on his behalf, that no-one answered..?

Last edited:
•••
A lot of these categories are not prime-time:
Science/Chemistry/Analytical????

I doubt Sedo sells many domains to chemists.

Sad that Sedo spent all this effort building a new category structure, shoehorned our domains into it, and yet used an encyclopedia, not past sales records to choose categories.

•••
Have to say, the arrival of a whole raft of new category choices is something I actually consider a big step forward D-: *

In sharp contrast to decisions like putting a big red nose of a typo like barbra.org in the spotlight :yell: :notme:

*Though there are some conspicuous absences. 'Non-dictionary' is there in Miscellaneous, yet not 'dictionary'; and no 3L etc...:-/

Last edited:
•••
In sharp contrast to decisions like putting a big red nose of a typo like barbra.org in the spotlight :yell: :notme:

To be fair, Barbra is an alternative spelling of the name - arguably the most famous 'Barbra/Barbara' in the world uses that variant! Agree with you though about some of the others in the list..! :-/

Last edited:
•••
Barbra went and typoed her own birthname!! D-: Til now was unaware she spelt it that way - never bought any of her records, lol.

Must be a rare continental thing - never seen any 'Babs' spell it that way in Europe :blink: No bids at all...ouch :o Someone should've got the Babster on the phone :talk:

•••
Hold the front page - Sedo's premium results for September 2009 are IN! :O

Check these:-

americanteams.com 143
newhomebuys.com 150
brail.net 121
corrective.com 120
roulettes.fr 120
demeure.com 110
appraisal.de 100
scanner.es 100
orts.info 90
sonnie.com 90
xgks.com 90
lorianna.com 80
stocked.net 80
blackrum.com 75
avord.com 70
benfeld.com 70
holborn.net 70
lagnieu.com 70
mornas.com 70
vertientes.com 70
villecresnes.com 70

holborn.net was one of only 3 to get a fanfare on the homepage splash...it got all of 70 bucks :sold: :kickass:

And what about these poor creatures. NO bids:-

abkommen.net
appeloffre.com
barbra.org :notme:
longueau.com
paramedicale.fr
propertiesspain.co.uk
social-networking.co.uk
speechmark.co.uk

No disrespect to any genuine sellers who submitted these and lucked out to get a free promo ride, but come on, as I indicated before, there was little chance it was going to be worth anyone's time to list these in a 'premium' auction. Are names of this ilk supposed to be the very finest that domaining has to offer!?[...]

Are these the only domains in Sept. Sedo premium auction?! Tell me no, please....

It would be a mess. I mean: XGKS.COM!!! I have a quad premium LLLL.com not accepted for some past premium auctions and other way better domains rejected with "Q" reason (the domain does not meet the quality criteria).

I've asked to myself (and sometimes here too): who decide this criteria? Assuming there is a team and not a single person, i strongly suggest Sedo to change some elements in this team.

Oh, another story: about 1 year ago i have acquired a nice domain name (.com) and it has received 5 offers from 5 different buyers, but i have rejected all them because they were under $2k. During last summer, i have decided to gift me a new Nikon camera, then i thought "Wait, if i sell that domain i would invest the money in the camera and in all the autumn renewals". I have submitted the domain for a premium auction, setting the reserve price to $750 (highest offer received: $1,6k) and buy-it-now price to $2,5k .
Results? The domain name does not meet the quality criteria.

And when i see domains like XGKB.COM ($10 value) and Avord.com and almost all the ones in this month premium auction, i would be really really annoyed.

I don't have many quality domain names, just a dozen between 200, i admit that. But those ones are infinitely better than this month premium auction domain names.

•••
Are these the only domains in Sept. Sedo premium auction?! Tell me no, please....

Lol, the situation isnt that bad - I picked out most of the worst performers to make a point about mah predictions before the sale got going.

Considering the near nazi-like door policy for entry, ALL of the names that make it to the final cut should be sure-fire winners that pull in a minimum of $500. Definitely aint true premium if that much can't be scaped on the most high profile showcase out there.

It's deeply suspect when stuff like offal in German with .info ext gets in, while secondhand cars also in German with .com, doesn't. Even a child knows what's worth more money D-:

Oh and last week, I sold a generic for double the highest figure on that list (despite not having the benefit of all that exposure), which they had chucked back at me as (Q).

Draw your own conclusions...

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone else think that trying to optimise some domains at sedo is like trying to dig a hole in water ? I am getting so frustrated and seem to be wasting a huge amount of time and getting nowhere.

Most my related links that I set dissapeared after their "classification upgrade" Anyone else having similar problems optimising ?

..ps apparently hot tubs is now an adult word :O

•••
Yes, or dig a hole in the sand with a spatula. I've put in far more relevant links than what is chosen by default, that then get switched back to the most ludicrous selections even a dedicated surrealist would struggle to match. I mean the system thinks 'dog food' is an ideal choice for a wine related domain...D-:

It's actually funny, but not so good for profit margins for us, them or anyone else...:yell:

•••
.... I've put in far more relevant links than what is chosen by default, that then get switched back to the most ludicrous selections even a dedicated surrealist would struggle to match..

:lol: I like the way you put that, its spot on !

True, Its not so funny if a domain is getting a few hundred people a month looking for a certain thing and they are serving up results that are nothing to do with that at all - sucks big time :'( Total waste of traffic.

I wish sedo would sort out the basics instead of just adding more fancy techno fluff stuff :|

Last edited:
•••
Heh, still can't get that dog food link off :| Has anybody ever in the history of the net pondered what to feed Rover when they look for wine online...? :-/

Another thing to watch out for...The new auto categorise tool does make some very smart choices, which very satisfyingly cuts down admin a ton...about half the time. The other half, not so smart...For instance it might put a footwear domain in Recreation>Travel...:|

Now that only makes sense, and then only very vaguely, if you like doing cryptic crosswords...:sold: D-:

•••
We've stopped bothering to list stuff at Sedo. The "premium" auctiosn look like a list of domains picked by a one eyed monkey closing its remaining eye and pointing randomly at the list. I get next to no offers compared to other sites. And the ad revenue is shockingly bad. Sedo, to be blunt, clean up your act a bit and make it worth our time.

•••
WARNING - This post is rather loooong !

Sedo, a simple question for you.

Why does my domain > H i D u b a i.c o m usually show ads that are related to India or Hindu when the keywords are set to "Dubai Hotels" ??? From what I can tell it is putting much more influence on the "H i" than it is "D u b a i" --- question is, WHY ?? :tri:

The visitors are coming from:

United States 23.5 %
Saudi Arabia 13.0 %
Great Britain 8.3 %
Africa (West) 7.1 %
South Africa 6.1 %
Ukraine 3.4 %

Not India - If you can fix it we will both make more money !

example of the PPC links is below

Sponsored listings

Hindu Matrimony

Looking For Hindu To Marry Register For Free & Contact Now!
Shaadi.com/Register-Free!
Remit2India Official Site

Fast, Safe & Secure Money Transfer NRIs Register & Send Money Now!
Remit2India.com/TimesGroupCo.
Bhagavad Gita in English

Expert and accurate translation Available today in PDF or Paperback
lulu.com/Bhagavad_Gita
Meet Indian Singles

Meet Indian Singles Thousands of Profiles. Join Now
IndianDateLink.com
Hindu Vedic Astrology

Reveal your Stars for 2009 now In this Astrologer's Free Horoscope
AboutAstro.com/vedic-astrology
Hindu Gods and Goddesses

Hundu deities represented through books, sculptures, and paintings.
exoticindiaart.com
Hindu Girls Name

Free Book of Names Meanings Hindu Girls Name
discountvouchers.co.uk/Baby-Names
Gurmeet Singh Astrologer

Expert in Vedic Astrology KP System Finance,Relationship Compatibility
vedicnakshatras.com
Hindu Buddhist Shop

Incense, prayer wheels, meditation, clothing,mala prayer beads,jewelry
hindu-buddhist-shop.com
Free Muslim Marriage Site

Muslim Matrimonials network. Muslim marriage. Find Muslim matrimony now
Muslims4Marriage.com

...........or sometimes

Sponsored listings

Free Prepaid SIM Cards

Get a free SIM card with Free calls & 2 for 1 cinema every Wednesday
orange.co.uk/FreeSIM
Call Pakistan from mob

Text super for £5 pin 8p per min direct from your mobile
icallhome-pakistan.co.uk
International Phone Cards

Free 15% Additional Credit On All Story Phone Cards. Buy Online Now
PlanetPhoneCards.com
Your Zodiac Horoscope

Insert Your Birthdate & Get Answers about Past-Present and Future. Free
AboutAstro.com/horoscope
Call India from 1.5p/min

Phone from a mobile or landline International calls for less
DialToSave.co.uk/India
PrePaid Phone Cards UK

Beat Online Prices,Get Pin By Email £5 Card From £2.75 & £20 From 10.99
LondonPhoneCards.co.uk
Call India for 1.3p/min

Call From Your Landline or Mobile – No Contracts, No Monthly Fees!
Localphone.com/India
Low phone rates from UK

Compare international call tariffs Superb rates, some under 0.5 ppm
OurFavouriteCompanies.com
Find Prepaid Cards now

Looking for cheap Prepaid Cards? Check 6.500 shops for great prices!
prepaid-cards.best-price.com
Cheap Calls to INDIA

Enjoy quality service, only 2p/min Dial 0844 973 1414 from Landline
telebharat.co.uk

WTH :-/

.........."occassionally it does show the right ads, but not very often on the landing page which is a problem !

Sponsored listings

Hotels in Bur Dubai Area

"I couldn't stop boasting about my amazing hotel deal." ABTA Member.
TravelRepublic.co.uk/BurDubaiArea
Dubai Hotel -75%?

Superb Discounts! Save up to 75% Compare Special Offers on Hotels
Hotel-Dubai.locomotour.co.uk
Dubai Hotel 50% Off?

Special Offer on 200 Hotels Find and Compare our Great Rates
Dubai.WanderWizz.co.uk
Dubai Hotels

Smart Hotels in Dubai Low Rates Guaranteed. Official site
hiexpress.co.uk
Dubai Hotels

Find the perfect escape to Dubai. Exclusive online savings.
hayesandjarvis.co.uk
Dubai Seven Star Hotel

Learn What Other Travelers Think Before You Book Your Hotel
TripAdvisor.co.uk
Holiday Inn Hotels

Experience Big Changes! Modern & Refreshed Hotels. Official Site.
HolidayInn.co.uk
Crowne Plaza

Hotel situated on Sheik Zayed Road in Dubai. Book today.
CrownePlaza.com
Hotel in Dubai -65%?

Compare Great Deals on Hotels And Save up to 65%!
Hotel-Dubai.pickthisplace.com
~ Cheap Dubai Holidays ~

What Recession? All Time Cheap- Deals For Dubai Holiday Breaks
DubaiHolidays.Bookmark.Excite.co.uk

See, most of the time not a thing about Dubai, its really hard to sell someone an Apple when they really want an to buy an Orange ......... I'v tried a few other keywords but the results are similar.

Any suggestions cos its wasting my traffic ??

ps - Oh and sometimes it just shows a portal page, like below

Popular Categories
Finance

* Debt
* Credit Card
* Insurance
* Investment
* Tax

Electronics

* DVD Rental
* Mobile Phones
* Digital Cameras
* Telephones
* PDAs

Business

* Business Plan
* Jobs
* IT Training
* Management
* Home work

Games

* XBox
* XBox360
* Playstation2
* Playstation3
* PSP

Internet

* Domain Name
* Web Design
* Web Hosting
* DSL
* ISP

Lifestyle

* Fitness
* Weight Loss
* Diet
* Sleep
* Vitamins

Gifts

* Birthday Gifts
* Wedding
* Flowers
* Jewellry
* Unusualgift

Computers

* Data Recovery
* Survey Software
* Hardware
* Laptops
* Servers

Dating

* Mobile dating
* Singles
* Gay dating
* Chat
* Speed dating

Entertainment

* Music
* Tickets
* MP3s
* Movies
* Sports

Shopping

* Fashion
* Furniture
* Xp Sales
* Lingerie
* Shoes

Travel

* Flights
* Cruises
* Rental Cars
* Vacations
* Last Minute

Phew...that was a loooong post !

Last edited:
•••
why hasn't Max Otto gotten back to me regarding my API key? i need it for my above.com account, and the sedo reps keep closing the support ticket when the issue hasn't been resolved. This is turning into a frustrating experience with sedo, and i've tried to keep sedo on my good side. ALl i need is my API key, and my above.com account is all set to go.

•••
Taken from the Sedo site

All domain transactions are subject to a minimum commission fee, determined by the extension of the domain being sold/purchased. The party responsible for the commission will pay either the minimum fee (outlined below) or 10% of the agreed sales price, whichever is higher.

Minimum commission fee is 50 USD:
.com / .net / .org / .co.uk / .org.uk / .me.uk / .info / .biz / .us / .tv / .li / .be / .st / .dk / .de / .at / .ch / .name / .ws / .mx / .in / .cc / .to / .eu / .mobi / .nl / .es / .tel

Important: The minimum commission fee for domains with the above extensions may be waived if the domain is verifiably parked with Sedo for at least 32 days prior to a sale. This waiver applies to most countries. The minimum commission for .tel domains cannot be waived (.tel domains cannot be parked).

Beginning October 21, 2009 a new promotion will replace the offer above. The minimum commission fee for domains with the above extensions may be waived if the domain is both verifiably parked with Sedo and sold for a fixed price.
Minimum commission fee is 100 USD:
.fr / .ca / .se / .pl / .com.ar
Minimum commission fee is 150 USD:
All other domain extensions not previously listed.

Ok for me this just means that all my prices just went up lol. To be honest selling at sedo has always kinda sucked as most of the time my experience has been that they are super slow and it has always felt like pulling teeth trying to get good customer service. Saying that it was a free listing service with a good protective payments. What it may help with is Shill. For me I can see alot of the opening bids are obviously false so where someone may have chanced it before for a few $ they may think twice with it being higher or at least not put so many false names in for auction? Just my two pennies but I think maybe they just wanted to do away with the whole changing NS when you get an offer issue, something I must admit to doing but did not feel guilty as they still got their % after the sale.

Any thoughts?

•••
Hmmm...I won a Sedo auction yesterday, but when I go to pay them the only payment method offered is PayPal. I have won auctions before and always paid with my credit card. I have asked the transfer agent how I can pay via credit card again, but they have not responded.

Has anyone experienced this before? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

•••
I've had my share of problems as well with sedo but I must say that my last 3 sales there went very smooth and fast.

•••
Sedo has now sent a "payment reminder" to me, but have not addressed my trouble ticket or questions posed in the Transfer Center. Billing always had Visa, MC, and PayPal as options, but now it is only PayPal. I feel terrible for not paying quickly, but Sedo is not making this easy. Bah!

EDIT: Another business day, and still no communication...any thoughts on how to get in contact with Sedo support? Going through the transfer panel, customer support and even Twitter have yielded nothing for 4 days - 2 business days.

EDIT #2: It's all good now, but man, that took forever!

Last edited:
•••
Sedo

Hello all.

I have to aggree with most of what's been pointed out here.
The good thing I can say about Sedo is that all the sales I have made through them have been easy with no problems.
As for premium auctions; I think it's all been said.
I used to have about 30 domain names parked at Sedo; but have recently moved them all to Whypark.
According to Sedo stat's my names were getting very little traffic and hardly any paying clicks. The ones that did pay were very low. It's very strange that after parking at Whypark, my traffic has gone up, and the revenue is higher. Curious !!

Regards

Ralph

•••
I have just receive an offer for 1 of my domain names, but the Sedo fee is $50, is there a way to reduce the fee?

•••
How are you suppose to make money on sedo now with this new $50 commission if you get a $60 bid?

•••
•••
Hmm... I just contacted sedo to clarify this min. commission thingy, now that I think about it, its crazy. From what I understand if I sold a name for $100 via auction Id have to pay half of that to them... even if my name is parked there... are they high or something.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back