NameSilo

discuss Scammed on GoDaddy auctions!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
A month ag I won auctions for two LLLL .com domains on godaddy. These were both public auction. I paid for the auctions then I sent the sellers info for transfers. A week and a half went by and I did not hear from the sellers nor did I receive either domains into my godaddy acct. I sent messages to sellers two more times after that. At this point it had been 3 weeks and still no response. I sent an email to godaddy explaining what happened and that I needed their assistance getting my domains or getting a refund. Here is their response:

As we are a payment processing service rather than an escrow service, we hold the funds for a specified period of time, and must release the funds at the end of that period unless we as your agent receive a dispute. As a dispute had not been received during the 15 day period described in the agreement, your funds have already been released to the seller. Any request for return of the funds will need to be made directly to the seller. However, we cannot intervene further. Once the 15-day Transaction Assurance period is completed, the window of opportunity to dispute the transaction has closed and we are limited in ways to help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for posting this is good info for other domainers to be aware of so we can avoid the same misfortune.

•••
This is completely unprofessional and, I suspect, illegal. To add insult to injury, Godaddy didn't even offer their own fee back. I would think that they would refund you, as I can't imagine them winning if you were to take them to court.

How difficult can it be to automatically email a buyer to let them know that payment will be completed unless they dispute?

•••
I used credit card. Not sure how I can reverse those payments
Normally your credit card company is good for that. I was almost ripped off for a domain on eBay. The best credit card service that offers supreme services for reversing the charges is American Express.

•••
Don't be concerned with GoDaddy being mad about a chargeback or being out $300 lol....they are a multi, multi-million dollar company with standard accounts to write off losses, much bigger than this, on a daily basis.

•••
@JudgeMind you're right its Godaddy who'd lose here plus if they take any action against you after the chargeback thats again not a good thing.
GoDaddy will lose nothing. Per their TOS:

In the event of a payment chargeback, GoDaddy will deduct the amount of the Payment from Seller’s Payment Method on file. In the event that chargeback experience is high, as determined by GoDaddy, GoDaddy reserves the right to hold back twenty percent (20%) of all Seller’s Payments for ninety (90) days from the date the Payment was to be paid.

•••
Damn man, I'm sorry for your situation.

•••
I have sold quite a few domains on Godaddy and they do have this 15 day period thing. Basically if I sold a domain that is NOT registered with GD after the 5 day window when Godaddy verifies the funds Godaddy would send a mail asking to get in touch with the buyer and transfer the domain.
Also, according to GoDaddy Auctions TOS, it is a period of "approximately 20 days". Frankly, once you read the fine print, you may never want to buy another domain using GoDaddy Auctions.

Caveat emptor.

•••
I think besides sending multiple reminders to the seller to transfer the domain, GoDaddy should at least send multiple reminders to the buyer too to file a dispute by a certain deadline if a domain is not delivered.
As a business, I am sure they have no compelling reasons for doing so. Also, you will note in their TOS that a dispute has to be submitted to GoDaddy within FOUR days of the sale date.

By the way, I guarantee that if you call GoDaddy Auctions Support within 4 days when you're confronted with an unresponsive seller, they will give you all sorts of reassurances that you should continue to wait it out, no need to worry, GoDaddy has nothing to gain from holding your money, etc., etc.

Last edited:
•••
I think besides sending multiple reminders to the seller to transfer the domain, GoDaddy should at least send multiple reminders to the buyer too to file a dispute by a certain deadline if a domain is not delivered.

And also highlight these in red whenever we log in to GoDaddy, just like how they highlight expiring and expired domains to remind us to renew.

THIS is spot on. Exactly what is missing from GoDaddy's process and why things like this happen.

Unfortunately, the only recourse open to the OP is to chargeback, and while I wouldn't recommend it if the OP has other domains and regular business with Godaddy, it is definitely worth at least threatening the domain owner with it unless the transfer is effected.

It probably won't achieve anything but I would also file a dispute with the holding registrar and send all proof of your purchase.

•••
That's a disgrace -- I've been a fan of GoDaddy in the past but this is not acceptable. I have not run into this problem before but can 100% say I will not bid in another GoDaddy auction until this is resolved.

•••
As a business, I am sure they have no compelling reasons for doing so. Also, you will note in their TOS that a dispute has to be submitted to GoDaddy within FOUR days of the sale date. Even worse, merely submitting such a formal dispute jeopardizes your chances of receiving a 100% refund of the price you paid, i.e. the amount that is rightly yours to have refunded. GoDaddy reserves the right to impose a 20% "administrative fee". But -- but -- Transaction Assurance, doesn't that term still make you feel all warm and fuzzy and... secure?!

Is FOUR days enough?

Even if the sold domain is registered in GoDaddy, they hold our money for (I think) 5-7 days before automatically pushing the domain into our account.

Basically if I sold a domain that is NOT registered with GD after the 5 day window when Godaddy verifies the funds Godaddy would send a mail asking to get in touch with the buyer and transfer the domain.

Is FOUR days enough?

And since we are used to the 1 week wait whenever we buy from GoDaddy auctions, is 2 weeks a reasonable time for an externally-registered domain sales?

Also it takes up to 5 days for a transfer to take place. BTW, buyer has to pay additional transfer fee right?

Obviously the TS was patient enough to give the seller time and benefit of doubt, unfortunately the TOS bites back at his kindness. There should at least be equal protection for the buyer, if not more.

Last edited:
•••
They should probably not allow non-GD names to be sold on their platform if they won't/can't keep this from happening.

•••
Is FOUR days enough?

Even if the sold domain is registered in GoDaddy, they hold our money for (I think) 5-7 days before automatically pushing the domain into our account.
You know -- that point is spot on, and how could I have missed it? Of course 4 days is not sufficient, and as you say, payment has not even cleared at that point.

After a week, then I start to worry -- a lot. But from GoDaddy's standpoint, is that already too late for a dispute? Talk about a disconnect.

•••
As we are a payment processing service rather than an escrow service, we hold the funds for a specified period of time, and must release the funds at the end of that period unless we as your agent receive a dispute. As a dispute had not been received during the 15 day period described in the agreement, your funds have already been released to the seller. Any request for return of the funds will need to be made directly to the seller. However, we cannot intervene further. Once the 15-day Transaction Assurance period is completed, the window of opportunity to dispute the transaction has closed and we are limited in ways to help.

Also, according to GoDaddy Auctions TOS, it is a period of "approximately 20 days". Frankly, once you read the fine print, you may never want to buy another domain using GoDaddy Auctions.

As a business, I am sure they have no compelling reasons for doing so. Also, you will note in their TOS that a dispute has to be submitted to GoDaddy within FOUR days of the sale date. Even worse, merely submitting such a formal dispute jeopardizes your chances of receiving a 100% refund of the price you paid, i.e. the amount that is rightly yours to have refunded. GoDaddy reserves the right to impose a 20% "administrative fee". But -- but -- Transaction Assurance, doesn't that term still make you feel all warm and fuzzy and... secure?!

15 days, 20 days and 4 days have been said here, which is correct?
Whoever been reading the TOS, please point the link(s) here.
@Joe Styler, please clarify.

•••
Here is a link to GoDaddy's Auctions Membership Agreement:

https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=dna_member
(Skip to 3rd paragraph in 2. Description of Services)

Here is a link I found interesting because it is almost identical to the situation presented in this thread:

http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackh...9-need-advice-regarding-godaddy-problems.html

Other posts on the Interwebs seem to indicate that back when GoDaddy Auctions was TDNAM, there was a 30-day "Transaction Assurance" window. I vaguely recall that also.

Apparently "they" (GoDaddy) managed to whittle that down to 15 days. Except that, as far as I can see, even their current TOS refers to an "approximately 20 days" window.

So the question remains, where does this "15 days" come from?

Last edited:
•••
Hi JudgeMind, I had a very similar thing happen.

About a month or so ago I purchased a LLLL on GoDaddy (BIN price). 10 days go by and I still had not heard anything, so I emailed auctions support and they proceed to tell me that the owner had let the domain expire and it went to public auction. They told me to bid on it if I wanted to get the name.

I didn't think that was acceptable, and was not about to get into a bidding war and over pay. So I just decided to wait and see what happened with the auction outcome. (This was probably the mistake I made.. Should have just cancelled immediately.)

I email again after the auction is over, some time passes and GoDaddy tells me.

Thank you for contacting AfterMarket Support. Since no dispute was filed within the 15 day dispute period, the funds were released to the Seller on day 20. We are still attempting to work with the Seller to resolve this matter.

Well, a few more days go by and still have not heard anything, so I email for another update. Here is what they tell me.

As previously mentioned, we are contacting the seller to get the funds returned and we will update you when we have more information.

As stated in Section 9 DISPUTE POLICY of the Domain Name Aftermarket Membership Agreement, which you accepted at the time of purchasing your membership: "To file a Dispute, you must submit an email to [email protected] . The email must include, Your account number, name and contact information, the order number associated with the transaction, the domain name over which the Dispute arises and a detailed account of the Dispute. Such email must be received within 15 days from the sale date." Reference to the agreement can be found below:
https://www.godaddy.com/Agreements/ShowDoc.aspx?se=+&pageid=DNA_MEMBER

As we are a payment processing service rather than an escrow service, we hold the funds for a specified period of time, and must release the funds at the end of that period unless we as your agent receive a dispute. As a dispute had not been received during the 15 day period described in the agreement, your funds have already been released to the seller. Once the 15-day Transaction Assurance period is completed, the window of opportunity to dispute the transaction has closed and we are limited in ways to help.

We have requested that the seller return the funds so that a refund may be issued to you.
Uh oh, this does not sound promising. I nearly blew a gasket, but figured I would keep my cool and just fire off an email to that dispute address and see what happens, before going to more extreme methods.

Here is their response. Perhaps light at the end of the tunnel?

Thank you for contacting Aftermarket support. As you have been advised several times because a dispute was not filed prior to the funds being released we hae to make every effort to retrieve the funds from the seller before issuing a refund. To date the seller has been unresponsive to our calls and emails. We have sent 1 final email. If we have not contacted you about a refund in the next 7 days please reply to this message and we will issue your refund at that time regardless of whether or not the funds have been returned.

Sent one final email for an update. They respond and tell me that I will be refunded. Thank god!

Thank you for contacting us. We have issued a refund for the purchase of ****.COM. Please allow 3-5 days for the refund to process. Please let us know if you require any additional assistance.

It's very unfortunate their marketplace allows this kind of crap to happen and our funds get tied up for weeks. Just be persistent and you should be able to get the money back.

Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
Send this thread to all the popular domaining blogs (so they can run "Think twice before buying a domain on scammer friendly Godaddy Auctions" articles) - it's the only way to force them to refund.
Who knows, you might even get a insincere apologies...
Good luck

•••
Credit card chargeback for the simple reason that you did not receive the goods you paid for.

Dispute is then between GD and credit card co. I don't really see what GD can do to you there and I can't see why they would want to - they know the TOS of credit card companies already and know this can happen. If they want to prevent it, they need to change their procedures - as many here have said.

•••
Recently i faced the same situation ......i won an auction and and paid for it .....for 2 days winning domain was in my winning bid list and suddenly it started to show some error loading that domain name on list.....i searched whois of the domain.....and found that it was still listed for sale in sedo...by the previous owner...and he didnt initiated the transfer .. i immediately contacted godaddy and they contacted the seller for transfer...and got this issue resolved ........(yes it was withing 15days period)

for all those who r buying domains from godaddy....please keep eyes on your winning domains...till they transferred to your account and if you see any problem contact godaddy immediately keep this email id handy for any dispute raising

auctiondisputes(at)godaddy dot com

•••
Look , like direct domain buy with bin price is not good with Godaddy.
I m fan of godaddy for all registration and tech support very quick response when i call them from usa, and only holding my whole portfolio with them, but have never used their auction house to sale any names, but bought few names and found out they automatically push the name, no other communication that make me upset and waste my time to track and keep me worried and has to confirmed i got the name in my account even i paid above $800 for some names. Now after reading this thread it make me more confused as when i called them couple week ago for few domain won in auction and not see them in my account after 4 days , I called them and they say do not worry just relax ,we will push the name in your account within 7 to 10 days. I waited and the name was pushed in my account , so it seems the problem is with out side seller who do not have name registered with godaddy, can someone Clear that to all??

I love new communication system made by sedo.com a nice big text chatting box with left and right column make communication with seller very easy , even i forgot to reply their message for 10 days and forgot to given godaddy's account id to transfer the name, they created new godaddy accout for me free and when i gave them my godaddy id , they push the name same day very happy with sedo.com, the way they communicate even the amount was only $200, a lot of work for them.

Same problem with namejet.com , when you win the auction they create account with different registrar and transfer name their for you that is good but hate to say , when they send name to enom, enom put 30 or more days lock so you are not allowed to move your name from them to any new registrar even you paid for auction and has to keep tracking your account with enom which is extra work.

Hopefully godaddy keep different type of auction and separate them for buyer's understanding of process involved with each type of auction.

•••
Some posters here seem to think GD might do something to you if you do a chargeback? Has that happened to anyone?

•••
Judgemind reached out to me last night and I started looking into it for him. We don't ever want to have people lose money or not get a domain. We do thousands of seamless transactions a day. This is an edge case and I will assist in it. Thank you for the members who suggested he reach out to me and for those who brought this to my attention.

•••
Joe is here to help you.

•••
Look like Joe has posted before me and he will be willing to help you.

•••
To my eyes the thread starter case is not a scam but GD followed their TOS.
All the GD auctions user have agreed to this.
However as they release the fund also if they do not hear anything from both part I think they should wait at least 30 days, 15 is a too short period.

if i do not hear anything from the counterpart in 1 week i'll contact immediatly the marketplace support.
I love to know what people are doing while they are doing biz with me, i can only make an exception if i already made several deals with the same person.

Sad lesson @JudgeMind
I believe in Karma, as you conducted the auction with bonafide you will receive the money lost in one of your future sales :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back