Dynadot

discuss Scammed on GoDaddy auctions!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
A month ag I won auctions for two LLLL .com domains on godaddy. These were both public auction. I paid for the auctions then I sent the sellers info for transfers. A week and a half went by and I did not hear from the sellers nor did I receive either domains into my godaddy acct. I sent messages to sellers two more times after that. At this point it had been 3 weeks and still no response. I sent an email to godaddy explaining what happened and that I needed their assistance getting my domains or getting a refund. Here is their response:

As we are a payment processing service rather than an escrow service, we hold the funds for a specified period of time, and must release the funds at the end of that period unless we as your agent receive a dispute. As a dispute had not been received during the 15 day period described in the agreement, your funds have already been released to the seller. Any request for return of the funds will need to be made directly to the seller. However, we cannot intervene further. Once the 15-day Transaction Assurance period is completed, the window of opportunity to dispute the transaction has closed and we are limited in ways to help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have sent emails to whois contact for both domains but no response yet. A really shi#*y way to be out $300

•••
I was under the impression domains are automatically transfered from sellers?

•••
I was as well but apparently not for "public auctions"

•••
That only applies if GoDaddy is the registrar of the domain name at auction.

Domains at any registrar can be auctioned publicly on GoDaddy Auctions.

•••
That only applies if GoDaddy is the registrar of the domain name at auction.

Domains at any registrar can be auctioned publicly on GoDaddy Auctions.

Is it the users' responsibility to figure out that risk when bidding on those domains or do they clearly explain it in those cases?

•••
Is it the users' responsibility to figure out that risk when bidding on those domains or do they clearly explain it in those cases?
They never differentiate. The only way you'd know is if you check the WHOIS of the domain name.

•••
Just for the record my response to Godaddy's email was:

So basically I got screwed out of $300 and you aren't going to do a damn thing about it? What a great service you offer here!!

•••
Just a thought...

Did you use PayPal to transfer in funds...there is buyer protection...not sure limitations.

•••
Just a thought...

Did you use PayPal to transfer in funds...there is buyer protection...not sure limitations.
I used credit card. Not sure how I can reverse those payments

•••
If you used your credit card, just contact them. There is a very strong chance that you'll get your money back. Paying by credit card is the safest thing to do for a buyer.

•••
I used credit card. Not sure how I can reverse those payments
Dispute the payment with your credit card immediately. You have a very good chance of getting your money back. In fact your chances are close to 100%.

Regardless, this situation is inexcusable. I currently have two BIN purchases through GoDaddy that have gone nowhere, and I'm also waiting (and waiting more) to get my money back, over $1000.

•••
Unfortunate incident.

That was rude answer because it is their responsibility to confirm that domain is transferred before releasing payment. They're getting 20% for securing transaction.

•••
Damnnnnn, I guess this shows the importance of reading and understanding fine print, of course it's too much to bother with, but in hindsight it was crucial to know about the 15 day email. I can't believe you didn't email gd earlier, I would have after about 3 or 4 days. Was the seller stringing you along with excuses to keep you quiet for a short time?

•••
You might send a PM to NP member @Joe Styler who may be able to assist.

•••
A month ag I won auctions for two LLLL .com domains on godaddy. These were both public auction. I paid for the auctions then I sent the sellers info for transfers. A week and a half went by and I did not hear from the sellers nor did I receive either domains into my godaddy acct. I sent messages to sellers two more times after that. At this point it had been 3 weeks and still no response. I sent an email to godaddy explaining what happened and that I needed their assistance getting my domains or getting a refund. Here is their response:
Were these sellers in the US? Outside of US?

A general word of warning, beware of sellers based in China, in particular domains that are registered with eName. I've been tracking no fewer than 12 domains that had been listed with GoDaddy as "Buy Now" and then "apparently" sold, but now well after two weeks exactly ZERO PERCENT of those names have been transferred to a new owner! One of those "new owners" is unfortunately me.

•••
•••
As we are a payment processing service rather than an escrow service, we hold the funds for a specified period of time, and must release the funds at the end of that period unless we as your agent receive a dispute. As a dispute had not been received during the 15 day period described in the agreement, your funds have already been released to the seller and the 20% commission to us. Any request for return of the funds will need to be made directly to the seller. However, we cannot intervene further. Once the 15-day Transaction Assurance period is completed, the window of opportunity to dispute the transaction has closed and we will profit the 20% commission and are limited in ways to help.

File a credit card dispute and see whether will they take action to recover cost from the seller and ban the scamming seller.

Maybe also contact the registrar where the domain is registered and see whether they can assist.

•••
the issue i see with filing a credit card dispute is that then godaddy will be out the $300, theres only one person they will turn to to get it back. ME

•••
In this case, F GoDaddy. On all levels, F GoDaddy. They are very close to losing all my business due to all this f---ing about. Damn sick of it.
But what company has such low prices, and I bet bullsh** happens from any and every company

•••
I am GoDaddy supporter, but this is not acceptable. If this is the current process then GoDaddy needs to change it immediately.

If the domain transfer does not happen automatically, then GoDaddy at bare minimum should make sure the transfer has completed before releasing payment to the seller.

I would do what RevolutionaryDomains said and contact Joe Styler.

Brad

•••
I have sold quite a few domains on Godaddy and they do have this 15 day period thing. Basically if I sold a domain that is NOT registered with GD after the 5 day window when Godaddy verifies the funds Godaddy would send a mail asking to get in touch with the buyer and transfer the domain. As a seller then I would use Godaddy system to send them a message that goes to them as an email and their response comes as an email to my inbox.

If there is no response from the buyer within these 15 days, funds get transferred to the seller automatically (irrespective of the transfer status of the domain although Godaddy would send multiple reminders to the seller to transfer the domain but throughout the process they would be in dark about its status and would care less) or if before that the buyer claims a refund for some reason or confirms that they have received the domain then only would Godaddy take any action.

@JudgeMind you're right its Godaddy who'd lose here plus if they take any action against you after the chargeback thats again not a good thing.

Why did you not get in touch with Goaddy within those 3 weeks?

•••

As we are a payment processing service rather than an escrow service, we hold the funds for a specified period of time, and must release the funds at the end of that period unless we as your agent receive a dispute. As a dispute had not been received during the 15 day period described in the agreement, your funds have already been released to the seller. Any request for return of the funds will need to be made directly to the seller. However, we cannot intervene further. Once the 15-day Transaction Assurance period is completed, the window of opportunity to dispute the transaction has closed and we are limited in ways to help.
Wow are you serious? This is insane. I would demand for them to settle this. I would not let this shit go. You tell them you need to speak to the manager, send letters, and post on message boards. GoDaddy personnel review boards/forums for customer feedback throughout the Interweb. I am really sorry that happened to you but they are 100% responsible for this. Not you. You did everything you were supposed to do.

•••
I think besides sending multiple reminders to the seller to transfer the domain, GoDaddy should at least send multiple reminders to the buyer too to file a dispute by a certain deadline if a domain is not delivered.

And also highlight these in red whenever we log in to GoDaddy, just like how they highlight expiring and expired domains to remind us to renew.

•••
Same here! That's what they did with me when I sold domains. They automatically took them from my account.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back