Domain Empire

Sav Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick R

VIP Member
Sav.com Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros community! We are creating a single thread where we can share announcements in, talk about product updates, people can ask questions and host a great discussion on all things domains!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like Sav but there are a couple of but's.
Other downside I have discovered recently, is that you can't withdraw any cents without Tax identification number, I not have such, because I m not a tax payer!
So to get verified Sav is asking for US or Foreign Tax number, based on this, thanks God I did not sell any huge domain with Sav, else my money would be stuck there.
I have contacted my local tax authorities to ask about this, now 3 days have passed and no reply from them.
In short be aware of this if you ever sell domains through Sav.
edit: grammar errors fixed

Last edited:
•••
Just wanted to circle back around to say my experience with Sav has improved although there are still issues.
There are no ideal sites. But I really like Sav. Unlike other registrars, they do not immediately change the DNS after domain is expired and you can use your Nameservers for more than 20 days until you pay for renewal.

•••
no fee backorders
Have you won any backorders? When I tried it (at least a year ago) not only did I not win any backorders but I found some of the names were being dropped and I could hand register them days after. So the service didn't even seem to work at that particular time.

•••
that's it for me.. after many bugs .. it's not worth saving couple usd on new com cause that's really the only diff between sav and next best thing ...dynadot... tho I have to say if weren't for dyna next best are much more pricey plus real crap interfaces...namely nsmesilo etc...so yeah dynadot here I come .. I mean really aside from new com reg at sav everything is like 1usd more at dyna... good enuff for me..... been with sav for few year..always issue with transfer... chats.. emails to fix..vanishing domains... and the last nail is I paid 2 week ago to renew 3 names and none did... they still fixing it... imagine if I never checked..this means I lose money and domains when they expire... now I wonder how many other times this happened...at.peak had 1500names there.. now I'm cutting back names and domainimg cause few sales...so around 300 left. at least at dyna I wont worry if renewals went thru or check every time. tho frankly I also had cases renewals went tru and domains vanished from account altogether. .. finally I'll be getting some sleep..... bye bye sav

•••
that's it for me.. after many bugs .. it's not worth saving couple usd on new com cause that's really the only diff between sav and next best thing ...dynadot... tho I have to say if weren't for dyna next best are much more pricey plus real crap interfaces...namely nsmesilo etc...so yeah dynadot here I come .. I mean really aside from new com reg at sav everything is like 1usd more at dyna... good enuff for me..... been with sav for few year..always issue with transfer... chats.. emails to fix..vanishing domains... and the last nail is I paid 2 week ago to renew 3 names and none did... they still fixing it... imagine if I never checked..this means I lose money and domains when they expire... now I wonder how many other times this happened...at.peak had 1500names there.. now I'm cutting back names and domainimg cause few sales...so around 300 left. at least at dyna I wont worry if renewals went thru or check every time. tho frankly I also had cases renewals went tru and domains vanished from account altogether. .. finally I'll be getting some sleep..... bye bye sav
Thanks for posting, I will be sure to check my renewals - although I don't leave renewals at Sav. I transfer them to Spaceship and save even more than renewing at Sav. But I do agree - overall, if I get tired of the management, Dynadot is clearly #1 (rather than the Sav hand reg, transfer to Spaceship, then renew which gets me 3 years at the lowest prices).

Have you won any backorders? When I tried it (at least a year ago) not only did I not win any backorders but I found some of the names were being dropped and I could hand register them days after. So the service didn't even seem to work at that particular time.

I have some backorders placed, but they haven't dropped yet. that will annoy me if they are avail for handreg. But we shall see.

•••
Thanks for posting, I will be sure to check my renewals - although I don't leave renewals at Sav. I transfer them to Spaceship and save even more than renewing at Sav. But I do agree - overall, if I get tired of the management, Dynadot is clearly #1 (rather than the Sav hand reg, transfer to Spaceship, then renew which gets me 3 years at the lowest prices).
I have some backorders placed, but they haven't dropped yet. that will annoy me if they are avail for handreg. But we shall see.

yeah.. for me I'll just use dyna... spaceship porkbun etc I feel again like 2nd rate places for couple bucks off... I've had enuff of that... with dyna I dont have to worry again about vanishing renewals... neverending transfers...or just simply unexpired names vanishing from panel... no more for me... it just happened too many times... each happening was chance for em to get to root of issue... fix it forever... they never did... they just patch problem at cost of my time and others time.. how much of that can one take... plus the fact that these are no small bugs... insanely hard to pick up cause who checks and expects names to vanish... renewals to never go thru... transfers to never complete... therefore nobody checks.. end result... domains expire... then u get sale in a year.. and realize u dont own domain no more... y get the drift... well... I'm glad for couple bucks more all this will be solved at dyna... the problem with these bugs is they are almost impossible to notice for most... for me it was all pure chance.

Last edited:
•••
I'll be interested to hear...

•••
I'll be interested to hear...

Someone caught one of my backorders via DropCatch and Sav did't beat them to it.
A 2nd backorder was renewed at some point in the past few days.
Only 1 backorder left to see how it performs.

Is Sav supposed to work like dropcatch? If so, since it's free, I'd imagine it'll rarely win

Last edited:
•••
Someone caught one of my backorders via DropCatch and Sav did't beat them to it.
A 2nd backorder was renewed at some point in the past few days.
Only 1 backorder left to see how it performs.

Is Sav supposed to work like dropcatch? If so, since it's free, I'd imagine it'll rarely win
Correct. If there is much competition for the domain then it would be unlikely for it to beat DropCatch.

•••
sav.com backorders are only good for domains you suspect nobody else cares about and you want to get as cheap as possible. For anything else, even $11 dropcatch discount backorders are infinitely more effective, but you need to take the risk of HugeDomains frontrunning you. For domains you really care about - full-price dropcatch + snapnames/namejet backorders.

That said, sav caught me a few domains in the past. But it was just a small percent of what I ordered.

•••
sav.com backorders are only good for domains you suspect nobody else cares about and you want to get as cheap as possible. For anything else, even $11 dropcatch discount backorders are infinitely more effective, but you need to take the risk of HugeDomains frontrunning you. For domains you really care about - full-price dropcatch + snapnames/namejet backorders.

That said, sav caught me a few domains in the past. But it was just a small percent of what I ordered.
yes GIF

•••

Thanks for the explanation. These are domains I'm only willing to buy at the ~$10 hand reg price - so it's really no big loss. I will go back to using SnapNames/NameJet if I find a name worthy of the $69 fee. btw - back when I used to use SnapNames/NameJet there was no DropCatch. Is DropCatch better? Is HugeDomains affiliated with them in some way?

•••
Thanks for the explanation. These are domains I'm only willing to buy at the ~$10 hand reg price - so it's really no big loss.

Yes, that's the right way to treat sav backorders - assisted handregging.

I will go back to using SnapNames/NameJet if I find a name worthy of the $69 fee. btw - back when I used to use SnapNames/NameJet there was no DropCatch. Is DropCatch better?

DropCatch has thousands of registrar accounts and they beat SN/NJ in most cases. The big con is that you need to send them your ID to participate in auctions. You can place backorders without it, you just won't be able to bid.

Is HugeDomains affiliated with them in some way?

Yes, DropCatch, HugeDomains and NameBright are all the same company.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, DropCatch, HugeDomains and NameBright are all the same company.

Ouch! That has to mean that HugeDomains frontruns all the backorders. Or at the very least participates in every auction where they want a name. No gold to be found in those hills then

•••
Ouch! That has to mean that HugeDomains frontruns all the backorders. Or at the very least participates in every auction where they want a name. No gold to be found in those hills then

No, they don't participate in DropCatch auctions and they don't precede regular-price backorders, only the discounted ones.

•••
No, they don't participate in DropCatch auctions and they don't precede regular-price backorders, only the discounted ones.

Whew - that's good to hear

•••
Today I noticed something very concerning.

I had some weird double charges in my card.
After a lot of searching, I found duplicate invoices in my account.

I spoke with support, they will refund me...
It s because of some maintenance they said...
Yea ok nice!

At the same time I have 5 open tickets.
Some domains missing from my account, one cannot be unlocked etc...

•••

Yea ok nice!

Worrying. I don't have many domains with SAV, but it sounds like I better check what I have there...
Hope they get your issues sorted.

•••

Yea ok nice!

lol I just talked about it.. now just imagine how ultra hard such bugs are to notice.. not if u got 20 domains... but 50...100... 1000 domains... and your screwed. I had like 20 or more caused ofdomains vanishing.. or showing renewed in whois but expired in panel then going to auctions as expired and imagine hassles then... or cases of names not getting renewed at all after paying.. I seen it all..
now I neither renew nor reg new at sav and move all to dyna... maintenance my ass..its been going on for 5yrs minimum

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back