Dynadot

Sav Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick R

VIP Member
Sav.com Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros community! We are creating a single thread where we can share announcements in, talk about product updates, people can ask questions and host a great discussion on all things domains!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Has anyone seen irregular expiry dates on some of your domains? Like a domain that is supposed to expiry in a certain month but then expires on a different date?

•••
Hello Sav, when we can use marketplace funds for new purchases and domain registration?

•••
It appears that many (all?) Sav users received an email with the following, as well as your address, a very long link, and the list of all of your domain names at Sav.
Once a year we are required to ask you to review and verify your contact information.
Please verify that this contact information is accurate by clicking the link below in the next 14 days.
It goes on to say that if you don't respond, your domain names will be disabled. By the way, they misspell registrant, but apparently the email is from them, or at least they did not say it was not when I contacted them.
If the contact information is not verified within 14 days, any domain name using these as the Registant will be disabled.
The problem is that the information they asked me to verify is NOT correct. At first I was worried my Whois was somehow wrong, but it was not. My address is totally fine on all 100+ names I have at Sav. I manually checked one by one. The same correct address is also on my default Whois at Sav. The one they sent out was almost correct, but somehow half of the Canadian postal code and half of the numeric street address not right. And no, it is not that my address changed, it was never the one they sent out.

So I have been back and forth through Sav help tickets with three people, and they twice sent new links for me to approve (and fixed the most serious errors) but still something rather critical in a mailing address is missing: the city. I had assumed it was just me, but have learned that others are also being asked to approve as correct an address without a city.

Now they don't specifically say it is an ICANN requirement, but by using terminology "we are required" it is supposedly that. And all registrars do have you check once a year the contact information (although of the 10+ registrars I use this is the first that goes on to require a link to be clicked).

ICANN requires a postal address that will reach you be maintained by registrar, among other things. The reason is simply so that a UDRP notice or legal notice of complaint can be routed with certain receipt to the registrant.

A mailing address without the city is of course not in compliance. Some postal networks might still deliver it, through the postal code, but it is not a complete and correct address and some mail sent without a city will not be delivered, or will be delivered improperly.

Why is it that Sav asks us to approve a different address than the one that is in the Whois record (you can see the Whois contact information for each of your domain names at Sav)?

What are the possible implications if we click verifying information that is in fact incomplete and would not meet ICANN requirements? (an address missing the city name)

I have asked repeatedly for the one they are asking me to verify to be made the same as the one in the Whois records for my Sav domains, but so far without success. I am uncomfortable saying information that is not correct is correct.

Sav, please provide timely information on this important matter.

Thank you,

Bob Hawkes

•••
Hello Sav,
I want to register domains at Sav with marketplace funds. Withdrawal is not necessary because losing on fees.

•••
It appears that many (all?) Sav users received an email

I didn't. I always ignore WDRP mails but I check and I didn't receive it. When was it exactly?
[edit] never mind, found it, Dec 31st. Oddly, it doesn't come up when searching for "sav" or "sav.com" in gmail.

"Please verify that this contact information is accurate by clicking the link below in the next 14 days."
It goes on to say that if you don't respond, your domain names will be disabled.

Well, that's new to me and I don't think they can do that. This policy is (was?) only for new contacts. Assuming you didn't just transfer/register your domains, maybe this is connected to your contact details being wrong, maybe they really created a new (and faulty) contact for your domains and it triggered the verification?

I clicked on the link and got "This contact has already been verified on 2021-01-13 00:00:00".
So as I said, it is only required for new contacts, they just sent it to everyone by mistake, probably.

Last edited:
•••
This company has been working sloppy since day one and frankly, it has never been able to give me confidence. The system is full of bugs; some domain names that previously belonged to me and are now registered under someone else's account still appear in my account, and I can perform all critically endangered operations such as DNS changes and transfers. Even though I reported this many times, they simply didn't care.

I have already started to move my domain names to other registrars which are registered in SAV and need to be renewed.

I recommend the same to you.

•••
This policy is (was?) only for new contacts. Assuming you didn't just transfer/register your domains, maybe this is connected to your contact details being wrong, maybe they really created a new (and faulty) contact for your domains and it triggered the verification?
No I am pretty sure it is all names in the account, a number of which have been unchanged for years.

No my contact details (I checked each one manually) are all correct. The only thing incorrect is the version in the email they want me to click a link. They also confirmed that despite this notice my actual contact is correct, including city.

I know at least some others got the same thing, with the line for city omitted as I did.

I have told them I am not clicking to verify incorrect/incomplete information, and they say there will at some priority be a corrected version sent (I already received two corrected versions, but although they fixed the other two errors, the city is missing in all of them). It seems to me trivial to actually include the information in the Whois correctly. I do not know why this is taking days to correct.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
No I am pretty sure it is all names in the account, a number of which have been unchanged for years.

Yes, only new *contacts* have to be verified and if they're not (within 14 days of creation), the domains are suspended (clientHold). On the other hand, registrars are supposed to send a yearly Whois Data Reminder Policy for each *domain* but it's only for informational purposes and you don't need to do anything if the data is correct (excerpt from another e-mail: "If any of the above information is no longer or not accurate, please contact your hosting provider, or the technical contact of your domain name. If all information is accurate, current and correct, you can ignore this email.".

This e-mail from sav seems to be an amalgam of these two things. And since after clicking the link I got the info that the contact has already been verified (around the time that I started using sav), I think someone there got seriously confused and sent a totally unnecessary e-mail, hopefully there will be no domain suspensions for those who just ignore it.

No my contact details (I checked each one manually) are all correct. The only thing incorrect is the version in the email they want me to click a link. They also confirmed that despite this notice my actual contact is correct, including city.

I know at least some others got the same thing, with the line for city omitted as I did.

You're right, there's no "City" line at all. Probably a simple omission in the script.

I have told them I am not clicking to verify incorrect/incomplete information, and they say there will at some priority be a corrected version sent (I already received two corrected versions, but although they fixed the other two errors, the city is missing in all of them). It seems to me trivial to actually include the information in the Whois correctly. I do not know why this is taking days to correct.

That's sav for you. ;)

•••
although of the 10+ registrars I use this is the first that goes on to require a link to be clicked
Yes, I was very surprised by that. Normally I get these annual WhoIs confirmation emails and delete them without really looking. I half scan the address they list and then delete. It was only by some chance that I read further on the SAV one. Probably because the subject said 'Action Required'. I noticed the verification link but was truly amazed that they said "If the contact information is not verified within 14 days, any domain name using these as the Registant will be disabled." (misspelling included)

I thought, there must be hundreds (or thousands) of people who won't click the verification link. Imagine having your domain name disabled as a result. I'll admit I completed the verification despite the missing city info, because, knowing what SAV support is like, I couldn't be bothered trying to get it fixed. The WhoIs info is still correct for the domain after verification, so clearly the act of verifying an incomplete address doesn't actually have any bearing on that.

Extremely sloppy work from SAV though...

•••
It's been at least two days since I couldn't log in to my account. Has this happened to you?

•••
It's been at least two days since I couldn't log in to my account. Has this happened to you?
Yes. I've been trying since yesterday.

[edit] aaaand now it worked.

Last edited:
•••
Hello Sav,
when i am going to bid on any domain from sav domain auction i am getting this error " Payment method was not able to be pre-authorized for the bid amount " . Please tell me how to solved this error.

•••
Hello Sav,
when i am going to bid on any domain from sav domain auction i am getting this error " Payment method was not able to be pre-authorized for the bid amount " . Please tell me how to solved this error.
FYI, SAV never replies here.

•••
FYI, SAV never replies here.
Nick R used to reply and/or contact people via PM regarding problems posted here. If you're right and they abandoned this thread, then maybe they should have closed it?

"Hello NamePros community! We are creating a single thread where we can share announcements in, talk about product updates, people can ask questions and host a great discussion on all things domains!"

Of course it is always better to ask through the dedicated support channel, linked on the official website. Posting here should be an additional way to check if others also experience the problem or to inform about something that might be relevant for other users.

•••
Nick R used to reply and/or contact people via PM regarding problems posted here.
Yep, but not anymore. Maybe he doesn't even work there anymore.

If you're right and they abandoned this thread, then maybe they should have closed it?
Well, I think the point is that no one from SAV even comes here, so they certainly wouldn't have given thought to closing the thread. Hopefully one day someone from over there will consider Namepros again, but time will tell.

•••
Just wanted to thank Sav.

I discovered overnight several auto-renewals that I had overlooked, apparently. This was the first time this had ever happened for me.

I was able to use the Sav online help system to find their policy, very clearly stated. Also I found answer for something I had re bulk operations.

I deleted the names according to the procedure, and the system promptly confirmed my deletion requests, and processed the renewal refunds not long after. Everything was solved within about an hour after I had been alerted to the problem.

Thank you very much, Sav!

Bob

•••
Well, with Porkbuns 1 yr $6.99 sale over and Dynadot not releasing any .com coupon for April, it appears I'm going to give Sav a whirl at $7.95 per .com. Website looks basic (although that isn't necessarily a bad thing). Hopefully these guys are good.

•••
Well, with Porkbuns 1 yr $6.99 sale over and Dynadot not releasing any .com coupon for April, it appears I'm going to give Sav a whirl at $7.95 per .com. Website looks basic (although that isn't necessarily a bad thing). Hopefully these guys are good.
These guys from Sav have never let me down during 6 last years. So that this does not seem to be advertising, my domains are also parked in Namesilo, Porkbun and Dynadot. Good guys also work there. I trust these registrars. Unlike Namecheapp, who kicked out all Russians and br-r-r-r Godaddy (what a terrible name!), who blocks its users for no reason and sells kidnapped domains at auction. They received a gypsy curse from me and now reap the fruits of failure.

Last edited:
•••
These guys from Sav have never let me down during 6 last years. So that this does not seem to be advertising, my domains are also parked in Namesilo, Porkbun and Dynadot. Good guys also work there. I trust these registrars. Unlike Namecheapp, who kicked out all Russians and br-r-r-r Godaddy (what a terrible name!), who blocks its users for no reason and sells kidnapped domains at auction. They received a gypsy curse from me and now reap the fruits of failure.

Thanks for the feedback. I've got names at a variety of registrars... but have moved 90% out of GoDaddy due to their insane prices. It will be 100% by the end of this year. Coupon codes and deals got me into Dynadot (which I like a lot) and PorkBun. Transfers got me into Spaceship. Without any codes or deals... I'm now in Sav. Only hand reg'ed 3 names so far, but everything works as intended so far. If prices were equal, I'd choose Dynadot every time - but things aren't always equal and I can't pay 30% more for names... so here I am.

•••
Well that was fast. I'm done with Sav forever. They won't allow me to get through some sort of Gateway Rejection (which according to their help site is not the same as a cc decline). They accepted my purchases 3x and now I'm stuck in Gateway rejection status. Further, they won't change my WHOIs info no matter how many times I try to modify it. Bye bye Sav. I hardly knew ye.

•••
Good lord Sav sucks!!!

They want this stuff to remove me from fraud. Can SAV make it harder to do business with them?!?!

To request removal from fraud detection, please include the following in this support ticket:
  • A copy of your government-issued ID
  • A copy of the credit card used to purchase the domain with everything redacted except the name on the card and the last 4 digits of the card number.

•••
Good lord Sav sucks!!!

They want this stuff to remove me from fraud. Can SAV make it harder to do business with them?!?!

To request removal from fraud detection, please include the following in this support ticket:
  • A copy of the credit card used to purchase the domain with everything redacted except the name on the card and the last 4 digits of the card number.
Yeah, I had wanted to like them too but hassles such as you experienced and red flags from others' reports took my confidence level too low. It's nice to get a low price but the trust factor, usability, and responsiveness matters.

•••
Good lord Sav sucks!!!

It is unfortunate that now everything has been so complicated. I was registered several years ago and no documents were required.

•••
Just as a follow up, after conversations with Sav chat and opening a support ticket I was able to provide the required documents and was removed from Gateway Rejection status. I also had to open a ticket to modify my WHOIS info which was being blocked due to the fact that their system does not accept "#" (which in the States we use for Apt). The system didn't explain why it was blocking updates and it took a support ticket and rep to explain not to use this symbol.

I am supposedly able to buy domains again, although I am currently unclear if I want to. I don't want to run into problems on transfers, pushes or renewals and am unclear if they will be as difficult as they were for registrations.

•••
Just wanted to circle back around to say my experience with Sav has improved although there are still issues.

Pros
1- .com prices
2- no fee backorders
3- responsive CS
4- 5 day refund policy with no fees removed

Cons
1- Poor Gateway Rejection policies (requiring you to provide DL and other sensitive info).
2- Poor push policies resulting in "Expired Renew Grace Period" domains not being able to be renewed properly.

Overall however, I'm much happier with Sav than I was at the start. Their Pros outweigh their cons. While I still prefer Dynadot, the .com prices are such that I'm currently using Sav much more.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back