NameSilo

Sav Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick R

VIP Member
Sav.com Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros community! We are creating a single thread where we can share announcements in, talk about product updates, people can ask questions and host a great discussion on all things domains!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We’re excited to announce that PayPal is now available for all purchases on Sav. PayPal is one of your most requested features on NP and we’re excited to make this payment option available for all purchases!

In addition to this new payment option we've added another frequently requested update. High auction bidders will now have up to two business days to pay for auctions they win.

•••
The mock-ups of the new domain manager look nice. Look forward to trying them out.

As a product suggestion, would also request the SAV team to explore having a pre-pay/wallet system. I typically prefer to load pre-pay/wallets on most registrars as it provides a much smoother checkout experience. Personally, do not prefer to ping the CC/Paypal on each small transaction.

•••
seems the new update is abnormally filled with bugs...as in... more than other company updates .. time to pay for better team of coders..?

•••
@Nick R

Are you guys for real? Again, all my domains were updated to use different nameservers on the 14th and this is your explanation?

"It looks like the person who used to own this domain's nameservers were set on the domain at the registry. I will reach out to them to find out what happened. From Sav's end it appears everything was OK, but when we tried to update the nameservers back to your actual setting, the command failed because the nameservers had changed at the registry."

Historical data shows these domains never used efty nameservers before. They're a mix of previous owners. And the registry changed the nameservers at the root? What then? The .com zone is compromised? And they won't let you update?

My domains did update now but not to the nameservers I set and have been using eversince I had them in my account. You clowns forgot to add the third nameserver. Not that it matters. It still doesn't explain how come I set my 3 nameservers, domains have been working for months, then they get updated without showing a change in the panel and not being able to update them.

Are you guys considering a major bug in your software? Consider someone is using you guys on a production domain. Days of being blackholed after the issue has been reported. That won't end well.

Do you guys consider your system is hacked? Again, this is a very serious issue and judging by your reply I should most probably report this with my entire log to ICANN.

I just replied to your support guy. You have the ticket#. I expect a full report that actually makes any sense.

Last edited:
•••
They don't do that. It's at the registry, if the domain didn't switch to "pendingTransfer", then they didn't even start the transfer at the registry.. Possibly the exact issue they had last week.

well epik or registry my main point was its savs fault..I dont care with whom. nobody really does. we just want see names moving. cheers

•••
Hello Nick,

I still waiting for a reply. Could you please take a look at your PM box?

Regards,

I'm also still waiting for a reply. I initiated a nameserver change 2 days ago, raised a ticket on the same day a few hours later, sent the ticket number yesterday afternoon via DM, I got a reply that he asked support to look into it. The nameserver change is still not done yet. How can be a normally very fast and easy thing last so long? SAV's system must be really broken. And I think they receive so many requests now that we cannot even rely on support. posted here a few weeks ago that SAV is my favorite registrar, but I guess I jinxed it :) Anyway, I decided to completely stop using SAV's services until their system gets back into its previous (functioning) state. I can just hope that one day my poor domain's nameservers will be changed.

•••
Hello All - The last few tickets we have looked at where people thought NS changes were not going through were really due to domains being disabled due to the link in the WHOIS Contact Verification email not being clicked. If that link is not clicked in 14 days a clientHold is placed on the domain which deactivates it and prevents any NS changes. If you encounter this, just click the link in the email again and the domains will reactivate, although it may take a few hours to process. We are going to add a ToDo list item to give a link to re-send the email from the Domain Manager incase it is missed.
[...]
Also, as we seem to need to mention frequently, when an issue does come up, please submit a support ticket to [sav email address] and DM us the ticket number & your email so we can look into it right away. We are unable to look into any issues posted directly in this thread as we do not have a way to access your Sav account based off your NP username.

Hello, I am a new customer with SAV. I successfully registered one domain name with you and decided to transfer in 11 domains more. All appeared to be working wonderful - I love the simple client interface.

However since yesterday morning my domains stopped working. The transfers completed yesterday and it appears the domains got immediately suspended - no warning, no email asking for my action etc.

I noticed that I cannot change the nameservers and the contact details are blank.
However switching to your Cloudflare free DNS did change the nameservers...

I just thoroughly checked my emails again just now.
I found 3 "Action Required: Domain WHOIS Verification" emails. Two of them from the domain I registered, both dated before my transfer. I had already clicked to confirm the first one. Just confirmed the second one, perhaps this explains why I was not able to updated the nameservers of the newly registered domain either...
The third email arrived yesterday evening - so after I desperately tried to contact you - and I did confirm that one instantly upon arrival.
No other emails.

But the real problem is that there have been 20h since I contacted you regarding my problem and I've had no reply - YES, I sent an email to support at sav.com, 3 times. I even called the phone number on the website twice, and I was informed by a recording that SAV is the fastest growing domain registrar, and that dedicated phone support is coming this fall (!!???). Left my name and phone number after the beep, but no one called back - the recording might have mentioned they will get back to law enforcement only.

So back to my problem: I have 11 domains offline, no website, no email, gone!!! acting like they have no nameserver setup. I have sent 3 email yesterday, 2-3h apart. A ticket number was sent to me via an automated reply about 15h ago.

It's now morning and I wake up to see no reply from SAV, my domains still suspended.

I am very disappointed with this company's customer support.
Furthermore, it appears from this thread that the issue has happened in the past and is known to SAV.
The account panel should have a BIG flashing warning next to each domain name that has not had its contact confirmed. Multiple emails should be sent regarding the contact details confirmation.

I am posting this because I specifically searched for feedback on SAV and found multiple issues... including mine. How can you know about an issue and not get back to your customers while their websites are down?

•••
afaik, DNSSEC is incompatible with parking but maybe things have changed recently?

Since I see you're using Bodis, better contact them (Bodis) and ask how DNSSEC works with domains parked with them.

If DNSSEC is "on" for your domain*, it may break when the parking provider doesn't implement DNSSEC. If that's the case, you can remove "DS records" for your domain at your registrar in the DNSSEC management section and wait some time before it's propagated. These problems will then disappear.

* Sometimes DNSSEC is still on when you acquire a domain - as settings may be inherited.

•••
@Nick R

just curious, would you resist an offer for your domain from him? :)
upload_2021-4-8_14-11-47.png

https://www.juneauempire.com/marketplace/near-future-report-review-elon-musk-next-big-project-s-a-v/

•••
@Nick R 6 days now, and counting. New names are being set to sav.com DNS despite my settings having alternative DNS servers saved. Attempts to update the DNS settings in My Account still do nothing.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you still with this registrar? I mean the ability to change your dns on the fly is basically a must, it is not some minor bug for couple of hours. This could be critical to the operation of an existing website.

•••
Last edited:
•••
@Bailian - Please login to your Sav account and submit a ticket at https://help.sav.com/kb/en . We can take a look and see what is going on.

@Primary Names - We actually just made that change yesterday! All new auctions starting today on will show the renewal price, when the expiration date will be upon auction completion and will show the domain in all caps if you hover over the domain. This is all on the auctions's detail page.

•••
Another name sold for pennies to w_w_909b80 - parts.xyz for $393 USD. A name that the seller probably registered for at least $500 USD, and which probably generated loss of at least $123 USD after commissions. The bidder w_w_909b80 and whoever or whatever is behind them managed to scare away all other serious bidders (using the fake j_x and other fake accounts) in order to buy cheap as many as possible names without competition. At the same time lots of bidders now simply don’t have the money to participate in auctions, because Sav have blocked thousands of dollars in their bank cards for unspecified period of time. What’s been happening is a plunder that has been assisted indirectly by Sav. You should know this.

j_x_942e4f = w_w_909b80 = b_c_5385d5

Same people are behind these (and a few more) accounts. And they’re the people who destroyed the marketplace in order to make it possible to get what they wanted almost for free. The whole theatre from the past 10 days is initiated and orchestrated by them.

I want @Nick R to shed some light on these 3 accounts. Do they use the same payment methods, do they log in from the same country, do they log in from the same (or similar) IP addresses?

The scheme is as follows - if they don’t like the price (when price goes too high) they simply block the sale by placing extremely high proxies from fake accounts. The auction repeats after 3 days. Every next time the auction repeats there are fewer and fewer bidders, because normal bidders eventually stop bidding on repeat auctions, as they look suspicious. They make the auctions repeat until the price is low enough, and they can buy the name very cheap.

Last edited:
•••
Hi Mr. @Nick R

Would you please to check for my ticket:
c7c32c52-33ac-4840-846f-a840bafcb858
Because, SAV's support never answer it!

The issue is that I have received some emails that I have not paid for the auctions that I have paid for those domains!!!
And the not funny thing is, now I have been blocked/banned from the auction!
For what? For not paying twice??

If SAV cannot give all those domains that I have paid for it...
Please just refund my money back to my card!

Thanks in advance!

•••
Suggestion:
Make the domains that are for sale with SAV.com lander with a BIN to be searchable on your registration and auctions page.

•••
@kor - Both are used by us. One of them is the web UI, and one of them is the true port 43 WHOIS.

You cannot explain this to the end user.

The person looks at whois information, sees the whois server address, enters it in the browser. If it does not open, closes the window and leaves. Nobody has the time or knowledge to deal with ports or technical details.

My complaint was pretty straightforward. Please read again, emphasize and be solution oriented.

I must also say that it is a great achievement to be able to give such irrelevant answers every time! Politics is hard work.

•••
We do have a 60-day waiting period before an auction can be started again unless the high bidder is unable to pay.
... the only common thread on a few of these is that the high bidder was unable to pay ... and the auctions have been restarted ~3 times recently. There are 2 bidders that participated in multiple unsuccessful auctions that have already been banned from participating in any auctions per a previous manual review we conducted a few weeks ago.
That's exactly the problem!

Banning several fake bidder accounts does not solve the recurring auction problem.
Opening fake accounts with virtual credit cards is a 2 minute job and someone has been doing this fraud for months.

Either making easy money sounds sweet to you and you choose to act politically.
Or you don't really have a clue about how to run these things.

Both possibilities are pretty frustrating.

•••
@Nick R

I've been unable to change the NameServers for 20-40 domain names on Sav for several days and have also been unable to switch the DNS Settings to custom for many others. Even when I am the system will let me switch the DNS Settings to Custom, I have to "try" multiple times periodically over the course of an hour.

The process goes like this:
- Open the Manage DNS page
- Click "Switch Button" underneath 'Custom - Manually configure SSL, DDoS Protection & DNSSEC as well as DNS records such as MX, A, TXT, etc.'
- Nothing happens
- "Ok, lets try one more time"
- Still nothing
- Leave the page open and try the next one in a new tab, and repeat the process
- It very rarely accepts the Switch on the first attempt, but occassionally, I'll get lucky, most times it will take between 2-4 attempts that are spread out over some time because that works for some reason.

I still have 10 Domains that are stuck and won't accept any changes to the DNS Settings.

SAV has been a complete let down as far as the user interface goes. I've never had so many issues changing NameServers or adding DNS records with other registrars. I've reached out to customer service for help and have been told that sometimes it can take up to 48 hours to process a NameServer change. :unsure:🥴

Please message me if you are able to help solve the Custom DNS settings and changing NameServers. This really shouldn't be as hard as it is.

•••
Hi everyone,

As of August 17, 2022 at 6 PM CDT PayPal has banned our ICANN accredited domain name registrar over a misunderstanding they haven’t provided details on. While our attorneys are currently working on rectifying the issue, we feel that our customer base has an even stronger voice. Please go to our Twitter and retweet this post to help us resolve this issue.

As always, thanks for your support and patience!

•••
I prefer to pay with credit cards, paypal is used as last option and if there are funds. It's not essential to have PP, even if I have there funds I can transfer to CC easy, then pay using CC option.
Sooner or later we will have crypto it will be the most used way to pay, but PP will die slowly if they don't improve.

pp will never die.

and I think u would be real shocked to learn how many people either have only pp on sav..or elsewhere... or heavily prefer it.. probably like 80percent

•••
Domain search has never worked in my Sav account. Is this a common problem? @Nick R
If you mean searching domains in the “My domains” section you need to type in the full domain name and press the button with the spying glass. It’s different compared to searching auctions for instance.

•••
@Anton Naydenov ,
I hope you let them know that there are users that are trying to contact them and they can't

Also,

at some point they need to realise that domaining is not a 9-to-5 business.

SAV besides a registrar is also a backorder service, an auctionhouse and a marketplace. Imo, they should provide support 24/7 or ,at least, a reduced support during the weekend.

•••
Has anybody faced issue with losing domains at Sav, because they did not fully become aware of the expiration until after their web page services have stopped? Maybe I'm misreading or misusing the ICANN wording here? See circled screenshot below

We've lost some Sav registered brandbucket domains (having thousands of domains at sav, renewal emails tend to blend together) and not becoming fully aware a domain had fully expired beyond our ability to manage until brandbucket informed us the domain was no longer redirecting, and upon logging in to our sav account the domain is completely removed from our acct.

It appears that Sav keeps the nameservers intact for sav expired domains until expiration day 30, at which point the domain is removed from the registrants account, nameservers are changed from wherever the registrant had them set and sav assigns ns1-expired.sav.com / ns2-expired.sav.com, then sav sends the 30+ day expired domain to expired auction, where the registrant is then directed there if they hope to renew their domain.

Example: Prompt Well (.) com
  • October 23, 2022 = Domain Expiration
  • September 23rd, 2022 (1 month prior to expiry) = First Expiration Email from Sav
  • October 16th, 2022 (1 week prior to expiry) = Second Expiration Email from Sav
  • November 23rd, 2022 (1 month after expiry) = Email received from BrandBucket informing domain no longer forwards to brandbucket.
  • November 23rd, 2022 = First bid received for the expired auction
  • December 2nd, 2022 = Auction ended.

https://help.sav.com/kb/en/article/redeeming-an-expired-domain

1670185834193.png

I was able to win this domain back at sav expired auction, but the bidding was higher in some other lost auctions that I didn't recover. Had these domains been registered at @Dynadot , @namesilo, NetSol, Register.com, @Porkbun and many others, I believe I would have been able to renew/transfer out til around day 39, instead of forced into auction. In addition, the namesevers would have been changed upon expiring, and that nameserver change would have forced alerts that my domain is no longer live, making me immediately aware that domain needs to be renewed ASAP.

I will obviously try to do a better job managing inventory, but I am wondering if Savs poilicy of not interrupting the web page service after expiration before deleting the domain is grounds for an ICANN complaint, or am I reading ICANNS domain name renewal complain wrong? Welcome @jberryhill or anybody else to chime in here:::

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/domain-name-renewal-complaint-27jun17-en.pdf

1670185357347.png

Last edited:
•••
@Chris Hydrick

I am planning on filing a complaint with ICANN in regards to the same issue. Sav don’t allow their customers to redeem domain names after grace renewal period with the excuse that the names have gone into expired auctions. Which is of course done in direct violation of the guidelines set by ICANN for registrars to follow. Usually customers should have the right to redeem their expired domains after the grace renewal period by paying a redemption fee (which is $80 USD for all TLDs according to Sav pricing). Expired auctions are something that registrars do without being sanctioned by ICANN exclusively. The fact that a given domain name has been put in expired auction by the registrar cannot in any case strip the original registrant from their right to redeem the same domain name by paying the redemption fee. With this being said their suggestion that you can redeem your domain name by participating in the auction and winning it is simply ridiculous and is again a violation of registrants’ rights.

I am inviting anybody who has been affected in similar ways by Sav’s wrongdoings to join me in filing a complaint with ICANN. We can also send an inquiry to the US Federal Trade Commission and ask them whether such behaviour by the registrar cannot be considered an unfair trade practice.

Last edited:
•••
@Chris Hydrick

I am planning on filing a complaint with ICANN in regards to the same issue. Sav don’t allow their customers to redeem domain names after grace renewal period with the excuse that the names have gone into expired auctions. Which is of course done in direct violation of the guidelines set by ICANN for registrars to follow. Usually customers should have the right to redeem their expired domains after the grace renewal period by paying a redemption fee (which is $80 USD for all TLDs according to Sav pricing). Expired auctions are something that registrars do without being sanctioned by ICANN exclusively. The fact that a given domain name has been put in expired auction by the registrar cannot in any case strip the original registrant from their right to redeem the same domain name by paying the redemption fee. With this being said the suggestion that you can redeem your domain name by participating in the auction and winning it is simply ridiculous and is again a violation of registrants’ rights.

I am inviting anybody who has been affected in similar ways by Sav’s wrongdoings to join me in filing a complaint with ICANN. We can also send an inquiry to the US Federal Trade Commission and ask them whether such behaviour by the registrar cannot be considered an unfair trade practice.

ICANN Complaints for renewals/redemptions look to be handled here:

https://icannportal.force.com/compliance/s/renewal-redemption

More about ICANN complaints:

https://www.icann.org/compliance/complaint

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back