Domain Empire

fun Rick Schwartz sold SmartGlasses.com to Microsoft for $2.88 Million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fuadiansyah

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Then next year 100 people will be doing it. hahaha.
Then we'd better start thinking and planning from today, you can't just copy an old stunt, you have to do it in such a way to stand out from the other 100 people.

•••
•••
The domain redirects to Microsoft site, so the sale is legit. RW woudn't make fun of Microsoft in this way.

Not sure about the price, being 1 April and also this type of sales have a confidential sum. But it's in this range, with a buyer like Microsoft.

•••
The domain redirects to Microsoft site, so the sale is legit. RW woudn't make fun of Microsoft in this way.

Not sure about the price, being 1 April and also this type of sales have a confidential sum. But it's in this range, with a buyer like Microsoft.
It resolves to Domain King, not MSFT.

•••
There are a few tech giants that I reckon would want that domain

It is a perfect self explanatory two word dot com

If it has been sold to Microsoft the $2.88m is very cheap because if the Internet giants start to outbid each other the price could easy be mid $xxm and still be cheap at that

Its the right domain at the right time and those that would want it have personal wealth of 40b + and a few m is loose change to them because they will make it a multi billion co

Fb or the big G I reckon would be the ideal owners obviously if it hasn't allegedly been sold to Microsoft

•••
This thread got me! I regged smartglassx.com this morning after reading this. :ROFL:

•••
Smart glasses cannot read between the lines for you :)

•••
That's a great sale...but you would have thought Microsoft would of at least picked up HDSmartGlasses.com as well...

•••
If it is not a real sale and he redirected to Microsoft as a April 1st joke, very risky.

It also screams desperation.

•••
Smartglasses.com. Iis the perfect domain it can't be improved upon

The bigger picture is that a forum full of domainers trying to find the next big domain etc we all missed it because if we didn't all miss this domain or could not see its immediate potential how come the domain king was able to buy it from under the noses of professional domain name investors

Basically he saw a bargain that nobody else could see or was willing to pay the money he did

And either way if it did sell as alleged he made a few quid and if he didn't sell it he'll have made a few million quid more due to attention the domain got today

He can't lose - and win win lol

•••
If it is not a real sale and he redirected to Microsoft as a April 1st joke, very risky.

It also screams desperation.

Which is why it probably has sold to microsoft

He may have the last laugh lol

By posting a big sale on April fools day who are the fools

•••
Exactly, could be true, I just cannot see him doing this as a joke.

•••
The joke is that it wasn't a joke but not many saw that it wasn't a joke on a morning full of jokes

Now that's funny lol

•••
Last edited:
•••
smartglasses is not brandable. it's like smartphones. microsoft wouldn't buy it. they need a brand, not a "category killer". category killers is for domainers and seo guys. microsoft is a brand, software.com would add nothing to it, no matter how many typeins or google searches it has....

imho

•••
Very good advertisement of SmartGlasses/com domain and Ricks twitter page. Rick is a king of promotion and he know that VR/AR time is coming.

When he bought SmartGlasses/com I registered few domains like SmartGlassesStore.com and SmartGlassesForum.com

•••
That's a great sale...but you would have thought Microsoft would of at least picked up HDSmartGlasses.com as well...
HA! So you just registered this domain today and want Microsoft to notice you too?

•••
There are a few tech giants that I reckon would want that domain

It is a perfect self explanatory two word dot com

If it has been sold to Microsoft the $2.88m is very cheap because if the Internet giants start to outbid each other the price could easy be mid $xxm and still be cheap at that

Its the right domain at the right time and those that would want it have personal wealth of 40b + and a few m is loose change to them because they will make it a multi billion co

Fb or the big G I reckon would be the ideal owners obviously if it hasn't allegedly been sold to Microsoft

Ok now, let's not go nuts about the potential price this domain. Yes, it is a great domain and all, but it is useless to Microsoft other than for type-in traffic and organic search if any. They would never use it as a brand... so a $xx million and bid war is not likely. He'd be lucky if they take a bite at $1-2 M.

•••
I research a bit into VR/AR/MR and rarely see the term 'smart glasses' used all that much.

I think if Microsoft was targeting any domain (money no object), logical choice for them would be MixedReality dot com or Holo dot com as these are terms they are promoting, not 'smart glasses'.

Last edited:
•••
I think if MS would have wanted / need that domain, they would have bought it years ago already.

Last edited:
•••
smartglasses is not brandable. it's like smartphones. microsoft wouldn't buy it. they need a brand, not a "category killer". category killers is for domainers and seo guys. microsoft is a brand, software.com would add nothing to it, no matter how many typeins or google searches it has....

imho
Very good advertisement of SmartGlasses/com domain and Ricks twitter page. Rick is a king of promotion and he know that VR/AR time is coming.

When he bought SmartGlasses/com I registered few domains like SmartGlassesStore.com and SmartGlassesForum.com

Of those three domains you mentioned eg if you had the choice of either of the three which would you choose?

•••
Ok now, let's not go nuts about the potential price this domain. Yes, it is a great domain and all, but it is useless to Microsoft other than for type-in traffic and organic search if any. They would never use it as a brand... so a $xx million and bid war is not likely. He'd be lucky if they take a bite at $1-2 M.

If it did not sell although I think it did sell for the price stated at $2.88m

Domain name investors are good are finding good domains but seldom to they turn The good domain in to a multi billion dollar tech giant

Multi billionaire tech giant owners can see the potential of a good domain and the concept behind the domain and know how to take the idea of the domain and make it the success it can be

Their vast wealth cannot buy the domain they want when the person that owns it doesn't want to sell

$xm is effectively their reg fee lol

•••
•••
Personally, I think that Microsoft does not need the domain smartglasses/com if does not intend to buy any competitor as for example vuzix. They like more surface rather than smart :xf.cool:

•••

imho
Exactly. They would create a brand like windows or surface. Not an emd.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back