NameSilo

fun Rick Schwartz sold SmartGlasses.com to Microsoft for $2.88 Million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fuadiansyah

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it did not sell although I think it did sell for the price stated at $2.88m

No, it did not. It was an April Fool's prank. Rick already came clean about it hours ago in multiple tweets. This domain is great and has a lot of potentials but large corporations create brands and their brands become widely known because they market them well and have deep pockets.

Last edited:
•••
I see even his post goes although with this joke. Nice prank guys.

•••
No, it did not. It was an April Fool's prank. Rick already came clean about it hours ago in multiple tweets. This domain is great and has a lot of potentials but large corporations create brands and their brands become widely known because they market them well and have deep pockets.

OK so the sale wasn't a sale in which case it will sell for more than 2.8m

Large corporations create brands

So Facebook isn't a self explanatory two word. Com eg a book of faces? I that is also a brand?

Work. Space isn't a self explanatory domain before it became a n fb brand

Gameroom isn't a virtual room full of games?

Simple self explanatory two word. Coms are obviously sought by extremely large corporations which then trademark and brand common phrases to become brands

Smartglasses.com is a self explanatory two word dot com that will eventually be sold to either a seed funded tech start up that sells (let me think) oh smart glasses which will eventually be branded as smart glasses and it could well be a multi billion dollar company in due course

The potential for that domain is HUGE

It would also suit a celebrity or sports star

•••
SmartGlasses.com for 2.8 million? LOL That number would make it the highest priced two word domain in at least the past 5 years. I wonder how much Gullible.com is worth. :)

•••
Desperate times, desperate measures.

•••
Not at all

Not every business shops in the bargain basement when building a brand

Some actually like quality and have the pennies to pay for a decent brand and that name is

Interesting times ahead if domain name investors can't see the huge potential in that name and its brand potential

There are names just as good on flippa that don't even get bids and or sold for $20-50ish that won't be for long because they will be snapped up by the. Com investors and when these names sell for very big bucks we will hear the domain details and purchase price and date etc and sold price and many will be doing goldfish impressions working out why domains that are not considered to be worth anything can be sold for so much

But in reality they were always worth the money they sell for but it's an art finding gold names for pennies

•••
•••
I am referring to the tactic.

•••
•••
These are the top ten Smart Glasses makers out there along with their present urls...pretty interesting actually...

Snap Spectacles
spectacles.com

Vuzix Blade 3000

vuzix.com

ODG R7 AR/R8 and R9

osterhoutgroup.com

Vue

vue.backerkit.com

Solos

solos-wearables.com

Level

VSPglobal.com

Epson Moverio BT-300

https://epson.com/For-Home/Wearables/Smart-Glasses/c/h420

Recon Jet

reconinstruments.com

Sony SmartEyeGlass

developer.sonymobile.com

Jins Meme

jins-jp.com

Full article and photos of each pair of smartglasses here:
https://www.wareable.com/headgear/the-best-smartglasses-google-glass-and-the-rest

Last edited:
•••
HA! So you just registered this domain today and want Microsoft to notice you too?
When the "King" speaks and gives out tips such as this...isn't this an opportunity to improve your domain portfolio...I know i did, April Fools or not. :)

smartglasses.co.com
hdsmartglasses.com
smartesteye.com
glassessmarter.com
iglasssmart.com
smartereyeglasses.com
smarterglasses.net
smarterglasses.org
smarteriglasses.com
smartestglasses.net
smartestglasses.org
smartglassed.com
smartiglass.com
smarterglasses.co
smartestglasses.co

•••
When the "King" speaks and gives out tips such as this...isn't this an opportunity to improve your domain portfolio...I know i did, April Fools or not. :)

smartglasses.co.com
hdsmartglasses.com
smartesteye.com
glassessmarter.com
iglasssmart.com
smartereyeglasses.com
smarterglasses.net
smarterglasses.org
smarteriglasses.com
smartestglasses.net
smartestglasses.org
smartglassed.com
smartiglass.com
smarterglasses.co
smartestglasses.co

You're right about improving a portfolio and taking advice and hints from successful domainer from news and trends etc. But you have to be conservative in your selections. Most of the domains you registered may not prove such a smart purchase. but some are ok (the net/org) although too bad the .com is taken.

SmartGlasses.co.com (Your purchase here is not a domain, it is a subdomain) so almost useless for resale.

Nothing easier than going nuts with domain registration when you hear of a sale, worse when it is done due to an April's fool prank. You have to be more careful unless you have money to burn.

•••
When the "King" speaks and gives out tips such as this...isn't this an opportunity to improve your domain portfolio...

...or to waste some money on random derivatives. works both ways :)

•••
I was actually surprised HDSmartGlasses.com was even available...definitely the best one on the list that i picked up in my opinion. Don't care if it was an April Fool's joke or not...in my opinion it was gift from the "King"...thanks "King"!

•••
He's not the first to do this kind of stunt it's been a trick for years now.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back