NameSilo

Replica Domains on "The New Internet"? Squatters?

Labeled as news in Domain Industry News started by Silentptnr, Mar 29, 2017.

Replies:
Views:

1. RBCDNs

RBCDNs Domain Name Ooze

Complete failure indeed... As if we don't have data mining and privacy issues looming over our heads already!

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. RBCDNs

RBCDNs Domain Name Ooze

Amazing... They should have just gone and registered epicfail.com instead of thenewinternet.com. It reminds of that viral youtube video that got people drilling an audio jack into their brand new iPhone 7. You know a good number of unsuspecting people will fall for it...

3. RBCDNs

RBCDNs Domain Name Ooze

And... in a few days, when you start getting neck pain from shaking it so hard; you know who to go after! :xf.grin:

4. RBCDNs

RBCDNs Domain Name Ooze

Point well made. Sadly though, somewhere in his mind, he somewhat thinks he is making the internet better.
    There's a saying in Japanese that goes like this: "The nail that sticks out, gets hammered". Exactly what we have here...

Contributing to the internet means improving upon the existing technologies while keeping the basic notions intact and backward compatible. Going against the grain is definitely asking for trouble...

5. RBCDNs

RBCDNs Domain Name Ooze

@Zandibot ... I'm tasking you with spearheading the delegation that's supposed to knock some sense into this nonsense... :xf.smile:

6. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

This is another data grab for resale, g o o g l e and y o u t u b e were formed from collecting off the backs of all the creators "who want to be stars" mentality and business web site owners data feeding the AI database learning mode, a m a z o n does the same- collects their sellers sales volume and supplier list and your knowledge and uses it against you, f a c e b o o k... a p p l e.... do you trust any of them??? I don't, and especially some new company coming along that want's your drivers license id just to enter the door.

The flip side is maybe one of these "new internet" thinking companies will create an good alternative to g o o g l e and keep the net open and anonymous and address the fake PR, and fake serps and bots'- I agree they are a problem- the entire SEO game is scam as far as I am concerned. Top of the serps's does not mean best results in so many cases. Having all sorts of "social signals" is cr*p imho, means little the popular isn't always the best result. These scrapper spy bots exist all over coming out of europe and aws services I find many smaller ones I block. Maybe there will be more than one "new internet", that is backward compatible?... in time. I don't know, these f a c e b o o k log-in-or-else closed systems are good at harvesting and storing away and monopolizing on your data.... just like the latest news where the US congress is debating the sale of browsing activity. This is a mess from all angles.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/with-w...m-giants-can-mine-your-web-history-1490869801

7. Lox

Lox ----- Gold Account VIP

More like the old RealNames system where you can buy a bunch of keywords and let the user access your website without entering a URL/dn in the address bar.

8. offthehandle

9. offthehandle

I remember that company, but the demise of it I didn't know. Nice of M i c r o s o f t to do that, like all the other small companies they put out of business.

10. Avtar629

Avtar629 MarketDN.com Gold Account VIP

Especially when done by Kim K:xf.wink:

11. jmcc

jmcc Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

There are some very serious data privacy issues with this and it will run into problems in the EU market if it ever decides to get into it. The idea of allowing people to use domain names that are parked is also a legal minefield as a lot of bluechip companies with deep pockets park various brand names and variants.

Regards...jmcc

12. 168

168 Top Member VIP

This is Good ? Could you explain in a little more detail?
    Maybe They could be prevented from referring to their offerings as Domains?
    Thanks

13. JoeE

JoeE Top Member VIP

JoeE said:
    "Keep in mind that their domains have NOTHING to do with the wide open Internet"

It means, the domains they "register" and sell are not part of the Internet, they will not be added to the root DNS servers. The only way these domains could be resolved by anyone is through installing their software, so these domains/websites will not be accessible by anyone who does not know about them and agrees to install their software. As a matter of facts subdomains being sold some companies like domain.uk.com domain.us.com domain.de.com etc are more accessible than these domains. ICANN has no control over their domains and if they succeed and grow large, I imagine ICANN would interfere then, but as it stands it is a no go. It didn't work before and it will not work now.

14. Joseph CA

Joseph CA Established Member

I've got TheSecureNet
    and TheSecureInternet

both in King

15. dordomai

dordomai Top Member VIP

these are not real domains that you are buying. what you are buying is the right that everyone who installed their software will get redirected to you when they want to access the domain that you bought.

if I buy internet.com and someone who has the software installed wants to access the real internet.com they will redirect the user to you instead.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  16. DNGear

DNGear Domainnaut VIP

I wish, i could register google.com here.

17. offthehandle

And if you registered TheNewFakeInternet.LameNewgTld. g o o g l e, would you provide better search results? lol.

18. Silentptnr

Silentptnr Top Member VIP

I tried. :)

19. CJ6

CJ6 My favorite movies are too offensive now. Whimps. VIP

20. Arsalan Khalil

Arsalan Khalil Established Member

domains which i checked are all available, this is f*ckin crazy man! this website is illegal :/

21. CJ6

CJ6 My favorite movies are too offensive now. Whimps. VIP

That's because no one is going to pay the money for this fraud bad concept.

22. Mister Funsky

Mister Funsky Top Member VIP

This is why those with offspring should put child proof locks on medicine cabinets and areas where brain damaging chemicals are stored.

23. Ali

Ali Half Beard, Half Machine. Starfire Holdings PRO VIP Trusted Contest Holder

They're not real domains! The developer belongs in a white padded room!

24. decades80

decades80 Top Member VIP

90%+ of internet Male users are using adult websites regularly. I think they would not do so on the new internet. They would like to build the new brave internet, with benefits only and almost no drawbacks. World is not black or white. I mean that people like to be semi anonymous on Google, even when Google meanwhile builds a psychological and physiological profile of the persons using it. The system is not ideal, but it works well for now. I believe that idea will not be adopted by companies nor people.

I guess their trick is to convince newbies to buy 1 word .coms which are parked or not used. There are like 30+% such. But these domains are for me worthless, they could work in second life or sth, but in reality I really doubt it. Not to mention the TM infringement if there are 2 identical .coms. I can see ICANN lawyers all over the place of the new internet.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  25. Silentptnr

Silentptnr Top Member VIP

Good points.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice