IT.COM

Registerfly - CEO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Below is an email that was forwarded to me with some of the latest information on the Registerfly Debacle. We have also added a news release on www.registerflies.com that explains a little more.

Has Enom known this all along?

"RegisterFly.com is one of the largest internet domain name registries.

They originally operated as a reseller of services from Enom.com, but in
February 2006 they received their own ICANN accreditation and became
authorized to manage and sell their own domain services. There has been
friction and difficulty between RegisterFly and Enom for well over a
year, and in the past several weeks it appears that Enom has "fired"
RegisterFly. They sent alarming emails to all the customers who had been
receiving resold services announcing that their relationship with
RegisterFly was severed and informing them how to access their
automatically transferred domain names in a new Enom.com account.

I have experienced a long and dreadful history of problems with
RegisterFly, and I am apparently not alone. In fact, some industrious
person has set up the domain "www.registerflies.com" where he has
documented numerous problems AND the failure of ICANN to act responsibly
to address a situation that is clearly not acceptable for an accredited
registry managing over two million domain names.

But the real story isn't just that people are unhappy. Last night I
called their secondary customer support number to see whether they might
be able to help with major problems that have been occurring all week
(since the main support number obviously could not.) I'm not talking
about minor stuff, but rather a situation where the customer service
reps and administrators at RegisterFly CANNOT ACCESS their own systems
at all!

The rep I spoke with told me a story about the real problem. It seems
that the partners who started the company are fighting with one another,
and one of them is trying to force out the other. The one who is being
forced out has apparently been retaliating by hacking into the registry
systems and databases and making changes that have utterly paralyzed the
company. Suddenly my recent problems start to make sense. The outsourced
customer service reps have been telling us since Monday that they would
like to help, but that they cannot access the backend panels that
control their systems. They suggest it will be working in a few hours
and ask the customer to call back then. When you call back they loop
through the same scripted routine again.

This has been going on since Monday! The company cannot control its
systems. Even worse, the support rep indicated that they fear the
alienated partner is trying to hack and destroy the domain registration
databases. It is an incredible situation. Infighting at a domain
registry jeopardizing over two million domain names and preventing
customers from even being able to make minor changes to the domains they
own."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ok

schnitzeldorf - while your concern for our welfare has been noted and appreciated. Mabey you could explain why it is that it seems as though trashing registerfly is your only concern. Every post you've made for the past year is trashing registerfly and ironically it's about the same time things started going down hill for them. In addition to your comment regarding getting back to business and trading names when all of the names in your last sales post over a year ago are either owned by someone else (I assume because your identity is in question) or dropped and your last trader rating was 08-12-2005.
If it was my only concern, what difference does it make to you? I had losses and then threats so I made it my concern... Thank you. I haven't sold domains because I don't need to. When I started the fight against Registerfly after losing my names and spending countless hours on the phone to be disconnected... I was livid! Wouldn't you be? So what you have my identity, I've never tried to hide anything but at the time I felt threatened. What difference is it to you? I made a promise that I wouldn't stop until Registerfly was brought to it's knees and I held to that promise.

As for the rest of your post... Think what you'd like. All the Registerfly employees are on my site telling the entire story... so speculating at this point doesn't make much sense to me.

Good growth.. are you kidding. This has been going on for more than a year pal. This was not a flame war. This was and is a serious issue with losses in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I've also spoken with Paul for a number of years.

Anyway, I really don't have much more to say on the subject. It's a major scandal that's been dwindled to a flame war... oh well.

•••
I just don't understand how you could have lost so much. I've been a account holder with them since pretty much day one and have had 1000's and still have 100's of names with them. While I have had billing quirks and site functionality issues I haven't lost one name. I can take a pretty good guess as to what did happen though. Could it be that they were eNom names that you let go into redemption? Mabey it's just the mindset that I know they only make a few dimes per name so I shouldn't expect much from them or any other registrar who does the same. I do wish they would work out their site issues but other than that as long as it's online I'm kosher. If you were in contact with Paul for years then like me you would have had those issues resolved immediately.

And considering that you own registerflies.com I would say that you are obligated to say more. You've crowned yourself the registerfly flame throwing king if you will.. That is unless you're going to end your part of throwing gas into the fire?

Last edited:
•••
I know it's little consolation but I saw this kind of problem
with the registerfly/enom partnership coming a mile away.

Any reseller that grows that large is predictably going to look for a larger cut of the pie. Enom doesn't exactly bargain well and has their own shady little history.

Always deal with a direct registrar, not a reseller.

I hope everyone that got hassled from this gets it all worked out without too much hair pulling. Best wishes...

•••
Quickly... I never claimed I lost that much. The losses are unknown at this time but Registerfly has been responsible for losses in the hundreds of thousands... quite possibly into the millions of domain names and lost revenues from customers.

In the past, I've called Paul and he was fantastic. Little things like the quirks you mention... he did his best to help. However, my emails began to be unanswered, the problems were worsening and my time on the phone trying to get resolve was ridiculous. I had 400+ names with them. During my time on hold, I started a website as well as I started getting more and more pissed off... as many others like me. Besides, I don't have to call any other registrars when things go wrong, they simply respond within the support system and take care of it quickly.

Then yes, I wanted my story and others to be made public so that at least my time could be justified in my own mind. I figured, if it's costing me my valuable time, I may as well channel my efforts to cost them and I did. Right, wrong or indifferent, that's what I did. Many of the old posts were during the time I was having problems with them. Yes I was guilty of being a very pissed off customer and yes, I may have typed some of my comments while foaming at the mouth in anger with this company. However, it's because of my relentless pursuit of justice in this matter that has saved a countless number of others from similar harm.

You see, I gave up calling them. I decided to take the losses but not without recourse.

As far as you having names with Registerfly... 100's. Good Luck cause you're going to need every bit of it. I can guarantee you that today and tomorrow you can't move, change, or do anything with your domain names. You will probably lose them all.

Anyway, I'd like to get back to the reason I started visiting these forums. Oh, check out the latest video at www.registerflies.com on the front page. You can also view the court documents as well that have been filed.

Good luck with your names pal because you are going to need it.

Last edited:
•••
Hello Schnitzeldorf.

Two concerns that come to mind...

- Are you verifying the people posting at your forum (claiming to be former RF employees) are really former employees? If not, the posts should be removed. If so, I would like to ask how you are verifying their previous employment?

- This is the Industry News section. It makes me a little uncomfortable that your site asks for PayPal donations, and thus.. makes your post(s) seem like a way to advertise the site, and profit from your "news".

Thank you, no offense intended.

•••
I understand your wanting to get your story out there. It just seemed to me there was more to the story than was being told. I'm not concerned about my names because they signed a contract and they aren't the core registry. If they can't hold up to the requirements of that contract then they lose their business. I don't lose my names they will just end up elsewhere. Grant it this would be the first of it's kind. Well one other that I'm aware of but I think they were a reseller. Even then the judge ordered the names to be managed by another party.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not advertising my site for paypal donations. I would solicit donations on my own site. I was posting news. Take it for what it's worth, I've PMed you.

•••
This is a HOT topic for sure.

I need to say, I've talked to Schnitzeldorf privately, and I'm convinced his heart is in the right place. He's just... really passionate about this situation. :!:

•••
Thanks, I appreciate your understanding. I come in peace... with a small chip on my shoulder. :)

•••
Just so you know the reason behind my scepticism. Several years ago when I was active on WHT every day there were newbies that would pop on the boards trashing registerfly. It was an everyday thing and it wasn't a bunch of dissatisfied customers. We figured out that it was a handful of fraudsters who kept getting their accounts suspended from using stolen cards/paypal or whatever.. So this isn't the first time they've had their share of board flame wars.

One more thing that has me puzzled. The letter of termination which you have posted where did you get that? Did registerfly give that to you themselves? I would highly doubt that since your site bashes them. I'm also going to factor out the attorney because he works for them so the only other person who should have a copy of it is the person who received it. If he gave it to you then you are a pawn in whatever partnership issues they have. If anyone other than these three people gave you the letter then it's not a reliable source of information. While it doesn't make a big difference either way it just tells me that there are other parties "throwing gas into the flames."

As far as your video it is funny I'll admit. But I just changed the DNS on a name yesterday and all was fine. I unlocked a domain several days and whois shows it as unlocked. So therefore it's misinformation. Everyone's SSL expires every year or two.

Last edited:
•••
Lol. Glad you found it amusing. Glenn at Registerfly had originally made a blog www.registerflyblog.com but it was taken down by Kevin. It is credible. The docs were provided to me by Registerfly themselves. I'll update the site within a couple days with a full story. It's news and it's credible. However, it's not a court order. It's a messy situation and I'm for the right thing in this, that's all. The right thing for my fellows.

I understand your skepticism. No harm done.

•••
But why would registerfly air their dirty laundry on a site which built around destroying their business?

•••
Listen, I'm not about to go around with the hundred question thing. I'm tired. Your questions will be answered in time. I can't keep going back and forth with this. It is what it is, take it for what it's worth. If you'd like to talk to me on the phone, I may be able to answer more of your questions but I'm charging $10.00 a minute. :) It's bothersome enough the media wants to do all kinds of interviews... I'm outta here. Have a great evening, when updates come in, you'll see them on the site.

•••
I'll be eagerly awaiting some factual information from credible sources. I'll pass on the 1-900 offer I prefer female voices on the other end and generally want more than .com whispered in my ear. haha Besides you may need to keep the line open in case CNN calls and wants to do the story.

Last edited:
•••
schnitzeldorf said:
As for those of you who left your names with registerfly contrary to my warnings........... cry now. :'( You can hear about your woes on the headline news or read about them at slashdot or cnet.

I think it's rather amusing your attitude toward those caught up in RF problems when you yourself admit to losing domains there. I wonder at the time how you would of felt if you had gotten responses such as yours which basically say "haha...I told you and now you can F off". Seriously...it's nice you warn others of RF but your attitude in general stinks toward other domainers simply trying to work out their problems.

Also last week I went and unlocked every domain I had at RF and grabbed every single Auth Code...I did it by hand and it took me about 5+ hours but I am glad I did. Tonight I move 10 names just to see how it goes but over the next 2 months or hopefully sooner I will get them all out.

I do advise others to attempt to unlock and gain their auth codes if you can. Don't bother asking customer service for this to be done in bulk because they won't. You also can't bulk unlock at RF (oh how convenient for them).

Anyways...I wonder if RF will make it another 3-6 months and I really wonder now they are ICANN accredited what happens to all the domains if they fold? Does anyone know?

•••
I understand and support a cause to correct an injustice or right a wrong, so shnitzeldorf has my backing in that respect. Unfortunately, in his zeal to destroy all things Registerfly, he seems to delight in the prospect of fellow domainers being destroyed along with them...some kind of guilt by association so burn in hell logic.

A number of other domainers contributing to this thread seem to feel the same way. Why would anyone wish ill on fellow NP'ers who happen to still have some domains at RF? How does hoping they lose their domains teach RF a lesson? If people want RF to fail, help domainers get their domains moved out instead of gleefully bellowing unsympathetic "you deserve what you get" rubbish.

Taking joy in another domainer's loss, or looking at other domainers with derision because they didin't or weren't able to cut and run when "I told you so," is not something to be proud of...Buck up, folks.

•••
With a name like Schnitzeldorf, how can we lose?

schnitzeldorf said:
That's and intelligent comment considering I've spent a lot of time, money and effort to protect the interest of the members in this community.

You cannot do anything with Registerfly at all right now. If you send them money, it goes directly in Kevin Medina's personal account. John, Glenn, Paul V., and all the rest of the Registerfly employees have no access at all and neither do you. Kevin Medina has sabotaged the entire thing. If you have names with Registerfly... I don't feel sorry for you one bit!

For all the members here at the Namepros community, you were warned long ago. Your comments about how good they were and the criticism that's come out of your mouths because of my interest in protecting the general domain name community by providing the site ( www.registerflies.com )... SHAME ON YOU!!! I don't feel a bit sorry for you at all. :'(

As it stands, I'm in contact with both John and Glenn at Registerfly and I can tell you for sure that you have no control anymore over your domain names with Registerfly and currently, neither do they. You want your names, contact Kevin Medina. You want his contact info? Find it yourself.

If you want the actual court documents and you want to know what's going on in real time, you know where to go to find it. I've said enough about this, I'd much rather like to get back to trading and discussing domain names.

As for those of you who left your names with registerfly contrary to my warnings........... cry now. :'( You can hear about your woes on the headline news or read about them at slashdot or cnet.

For those of you who have been supportive of my site with your comments, thank you kindly for your support and I'm truly happy that you've taken the steps to protect your names.

I've been warning my clients for three years about Registerfly after I had just one HINT of their bullshit back about... ummm... three years ago.

Just beware of any registrar that has the name of an insect, an animal, or numbers in their name.

At the upcoming Domain Roundtable 2007, I will be hosting a special session on Registrar responsibility to providing domainers with the best domain management tools, customer support, and prices. Stay tuned to our website as the agenda and schedule is posted. http://www.domainroundtable.com.

It's the year of the domainer - take advantage of it. I'm not holding back at this year's DRT, so try and take part in the multiple surveys we'll be taking in a month or so.

I feel bad for those people who stayed with registerLied.com, I mean registerfly.com, but as ol Schnitzeldorf said -- "I gave you plenty of warning".

Spritzenfoogle himself agrees.

•••
verbster said:
I understand and support a cause to correct an injustice or right a wrong, so shnitzeldorf has my backing in that respect. Unfortunately, in his zeal to destroy all things Registerfly, he seems to delight in the prospect of fellow domainers being destroyed along with them...some kind of guilt by association so burn in hell logic.

A number of other domainers contributing to this thread seem to feel the same way. Why would anyone wish ill on fellow NP'ers who happen to still have some domains at RF? How does hoping they lose their domains teach RF a lesson? If people want RF to fail, help domainers get their domains moved out instead of gleefully bellowing unsympathetic "you deserve what you get" rubbish.

Taking joy in another domainer's loss, or looking at other domainers with derision because they didin't or weren't able to cut and run when "I told you so," is not something to be proud of...Buck up, folks.

Exactly..well said.

Also for all the headaches RF has given me..I have not once lost money nor a domain. I have lost time and effort only.

•••
Dotplanners said:
I've been warning my clients for three years about Registerfly after I had just one HINT of their bullshit back about... ummm... three years ago.

Just beware of any registrar that has the name of an insect, an animal, or numbers in their name.

At the upcoming Domain Roundtable 2007, I will be hosting a special session on Registrar responsibility to providing domainers with the best domain management tools, customer support, and prices. Stay tuned to our website as the agenda and schedule is posted. http://www.domainroundtable.com.

It's the year of the domainer - take advantage of it. I'm not holding back at this year's DRT, so try and take part in the multiple surveys we'll be taking in a month or so.

I feel bad for those people who stayed with registerLied.com, I mean registerfly.com, but as ol Schnitzeldorf said -- "I gave you plenty of warning".

Spritzenfoogle himself agrees.

Find some humor in this one if you will Stephen because it's purely amusement even if it is my own.

I've always followed the rule of never take web advice from someone who doesn't know how to create URL link in their Sig. :laugh:

•••
JMJ said:
I understand your wanting to get your story out there. It just seemed to me there was more to the story than was being told. I'm not concerned about my names because they signed a contract and they aren't the core registry. If they can't hold up to the requirements of that contract then they lose their business. I don't lose my names they will just end up elsewhere. Grant it this would be the first of it's kind. Well one other that I'm aware of but I think they were a reseller. Even then the judge ordered the names to be managed by another party.
No it's not like that. And you should be VERY concerned with your names.
Until the company is dismantled and the domains assigned to another registrar - if that ever happens - a lot of things can happen and your domains are at risk.
The contract means nothing. Many many people have already lost their domains at regfly in spite of that contract or ICANN accreditation.

This is what is likely to happen:
  • your domains are due to expire at regfly
  • you try to transfer away
  • for some reason you can't unlock the domains
  • or the transfer fails for some reason
  • support tickets go unanswered
  • your domains have expired
  • support tickets still unanswered or closed
  • domains have entered redemption status
  • your only option is now to backorder your own names
  • in the meantime your sites have stopped functioning
  • and of course the valuable domains will be backordered by other people too

etc etc
The message that Schnitzeldorf is trying to get through is: run away from registerfly with your names while you still can. Soon it will be too late. Probably it's too late already.

Regardless of their internal problems regfly have had a buggy, lousy system that you just cannot rely on. If you cannot afford to lose your domains then regfly is not the right registrar for you.
I believe the staff themselves are overwhelmed by the buggy system and can hardly help.
It's incredibly easy to lose a domain, and when it's a valuable domain it hurts.

•••
not good - Registerfly ssl certyficate expired - Feb 17 2007 :O

•••
I went to his site and read through alot of the posts. What I read is that the majority of people let their names expire and then started having problems. Now anyone who had a name expire pre Jan 2007 most likely had their name in the old enom system. Because they got accredited in Jan 2006 which is when their sh*t hit the fan.

I don't know this for sure but I'm guessing and it's probably a very good guess that eNom wasn't very happy to see a million or whatever names go so in turn they most likely weren't very helpful in that process. You could even go as far as to assume that when a name expired in the old enom system something beyond their control happened? This makes more sense to me than anything.

I just don't buy them spending a load of dough getting accredited just a year ago only to drive their business into the ground since then. As far as the 95% of others on the forum there are just making claims with no explaination whatsoever. It reminded me of those WHT posters..

Last edited:
•••
I have 16 names with RF, and I can't wait until ICANN takes control and gets all the domains out of their system and into a more reliable registrar. I don't have the cash to transfer anything out at the moment.

I can see the remains of RegisterFly, in the next year, either a) Being Bought out and turned around, like Demand Media and eNom, or b) Caving in and ICANN having to take control and get the names out.

•••
I know a few people that I would qualify as domain-savvy who lost domains at regfly.
Not because they let their domains expire or wait until the last minute to transfer away but just because of their buggy scripts and the lack (absence) of support.
For simple issues like domains missing in your account support is OK. If you ask for more complicated things, even in plain English you won't get anything if it's beyond them.
Regfly should have fixed their issues before going full steam ahead with ICANN accreditation. All their problems predate their move to fully-fledged registrar anyway.
As for business falling to the ground that's unfortunate but it's also a logical consequence. You can't get away with lousy service and failure to deliver, forever.
Many promising businesses fail every year just because of soured partnerships.

JBebbington said:
I have 16 names with RF, and I can't wait until ICANN takes control and gets all the domains out of their system and into a more reliable registrar. I don't have the cash to transfer anything out at the moment.
I'm sorry but read my post above. I doubt this will happen. If ICANN ever steps in it will be too late. My prediction is that ICANN won't be your savior. At least try to transfer away the most valuable names. Otherwise your domains might well simply die at regfly.

•••
Where is ICANN while this is going on? RF's security certificate has expired, and it looks like they are in melt-down mode.

If anyone truly is "hacking" the RF system and sabotaging it, that's more than an internal pissing match; when it intentionally interferes with the contracted deliverable services and goods that customers have paid for, that's criminal. I don't understand why it's not being treated as such.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back