Domain Empire

Registerfly - CEO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Below is an email that was forwarded to me with some of the latest information on the Registerfly Debacle. We have also added a news release on www.registerflies.com that explains a little more.

Has Enom known this all along?

"RegisterFly.com is one of the largest internet domain name registries.

They originally operated as a reseller of services from Enom.com, but in
February 2006 they received their own ICANN accreditation and became
authorized to manage and sell their own domain services. There has been
friction and difficulty between RegisterFly and Enom for well over a
year, and in the past several weeks it appears that Enom has "fired"
RegisterFly. They sent alarming emails to all the customers who had been
receiving resold services announcing that their relationship with
RegisterFly was severed and informing them how to access their
automatically transferred domain names in a new Enom.com account.

I have experienced a long and dreadful history of problems with
RegisterFly, and I am apparently not alone. In fact, some industrious
person has set up the domain "www.registerflies.com" where he has
documented numerous problems AND the failure of ICANN to act responsibly
to address a situation that is clearly not acceptable for an accredited
registry managing over two million domain names.

But the real story isn't just that people are unhappy. Last night I
called their secondary customer support number to see whether they might
be able to help with major problems that have been occurring all week
(since the main support number obviously could not.) I'm not talking
about minor stuff, but rather a situation where the customer service
reps and administrators at RegisterFly CANNOT ACCESS their own systems
at all!

The rep I spoke with told me a story about the real problem. It seems
that the partners who started the company are fighting with one another,
and one of them is trying to force out the other. The one who is being
forced out has apparently been retaliating by hacking into the registry
systems and databases and making changes that have utterly paralyzed the
company. Suddenly my recent problems start to make sense. The outsourced
customer service reps have been telling us since Monday that they would
like to help, but that they cannot access the backend panels that
control their systems. They suggest it will be working in a few hours
and ask the customer to call back then. When you call back they loop
through the same scripted routine again.

This has been going on since Monday! The company cannot control its
systems. Even worse, the support rep indicated that they fear the
alienated partner is trying to hack and destroy the domain registration
databases. It is an incredible situation. Infighting at a domain
registry jeopardizing over two million domain names and preventing
customers from even being able to make minor changes to the domains they
own."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
shockie said:
exactly. i get plenty of emails telling me i won the lottery.

I got the same emails! Were rich!!!!

Can I borrow a stamp to send a check to Nigeria? I have to send my thousand dollar entry fee to collect my lottery winnings!

•••
I understand and support a cause to correct an injustice or right a wrong, so shnitzeldorf has my backing in that respect. Unfortunately, in his zeal to destroy all things Registerfly, he seems to delight in the prospect of fellow domainers being destroyed along with them...some kind of guilt by association so burn in hell logic.

A number of other domainers contributing to this thread seem to feel the same way. Why would anyone wish ill on fellow NP'ers who happen to still have some domains at RF? How does hoping they lose their domains teach RF a lesson? If people want RF to fail, help domainers get their domains moved out instead of gleefully bellowing unsympathetic "you deserve what you get" rubbish.

Taking joy in another domainer's loss, or looking at other domainers with derision because they didin't or weren't able to cut and run when "I told you so," is not something to be proud of...Buck up, folks.

•••
As crazy as this sounds, I opened a new account at RF and pushed a domain name to it. The push process unlocked it and now I'm able to get an authorization code to transfer it out. I still have 3 unanswered tickets there but it looks like this will do the trick

•••
Things that make you go hmmm...

•••
I'm glad I never registered any domains through them OR enom. But then again, I'm not as heavy into domaining as the rest of you. Godaddy (as many horror stories we've all heard) hasn't brought me any problems and I've about 30 domain names registered with them.

What a nightmare for the rest of you guys. My heart goes out. This has to be some breaking news. HACKING THE REGISTRATION DATABASE?? lol

To me this sounds like someone has lost out and is not taking no for an answer :) Interesting....

•••
Oh my god what i can say .
registerfly.com is the worst registrar i ever used ,currently i have 300 domains with them wich i will be moving shortly after i losse few premiums domains register back in 1999.
Also few months ago i pay $209. to get one name out of redemptiom,righ now is three months since i pay,since one month i contact them to get the domain or a refund without luck.
I allready complaint with icann,but looks like icann it dosen't care anything.
i'm tired to be in the phone in standby waiting for hours just to get disconected after.
i open plenty of support tickets evry week just to get tickets closed without any answer.
I don't know what else i have to do in order to get my money back.

•••
To be honest this just sounds like the next round of bulls**t that the "customer service reps" are using to absolve themselves of all blame. If this were the case, why would the problem have been going on for such a long time already?

•••
Registerflies? Why not RegisterCries :'( :lol:

•••
My suggestion is to not freak out. Everyone has a problem or two with them and just about every other registrar. I can understand those with billing issues being concerned about their money but if you can manage DNS and such what do you need support for anyway? Your names aren't going anywhere. The worse that could happen is the core registries place the names with another registrar or they get bought out. I would imagine the later would happen before anything even if it is via a bankruptcy court.

With the whole sky is falling paranoia going on you can very well bet their customer support is bogged down with requests due to the exiting in masses. I'm glad I'm not in the middle of that nightmare. haha Hell you may even be a part of a class action lawsuit if you stick around. :lol:

Last edited:
•••
This is just a third party email that can't be confirmed. I am not sure why you titled this "registerfly -ceo"...that email ain't from the ceo and he certainly doesn't read this site nor give a crap about domainers in general.

•••
labrocca said:
This is just a third party email that can't be confirmed.
exactly. i get plenty of emails telling me i won the lottery.

•••
i just want to know if anybody can manage dns at registerfly.com now???
looks like is not working.
i try several times but is not working???

•••
LUISGUSTAVONY said:
i just want to know if anybody can manage dns at registerfly.com now???
looks like is not working.
i try several times but is not working???

Are you trying the "bulk manager" because it's been my experience that it's does "bulk f-ups". Try to change dns on each domain. Yeah a total pain but I warn you...that bulk manager they have will only deleted DNS records on ALL the bulk listed domains....a virtual nightmare. I found out the hard way trying to point 200 names to Sedo! omg did I have to waste like 3 hours (not exaggerating) to change and verify all the DNS one at a time in their butt slow system.

•••
I have no pity for anyone who has regged names at RegisterFly or 1&1. You get what you pay for at those places: one big headache.

•••
No pity needed Steve. And in a few months I won't have anything left there myself.

•••
NameTrader.com said:
I have no pity for anyone who has regged names at RegisterFly or 1&1. You get what you pay for at those places: one big headache.

Ditto, I've seen so many threads with "They look/work fine to to/for me....I will use them" and then a "They closed my account" or "My domains disappeared!"...no sympathy...serves your right for choosing to use a company that you know is awful.

•••
2 years ago there wasn't problems at RegisterFly. I had my account there for years without incident.

•••
Hmm....I counted 3 years, that's when I lost 50 domains and them claiming they didn't know me.

•••
Maybe 3 years...time flies (pun intended).

•••
labrocca said:
Are you trying the "bulk manager" because it's been my experience that it's does "bulk f-ups". Try to change dns on each domain. Yeah a total pain but I warn you...that bulk manager they have will only deleted DNS records on ALL the bulk listed domains....a virtual nightmare. I found out the hard way trying to point 200 names to Sedo! omg did I have to waste like 3 hours (not exaggerating) to change and verify all the DNS one at a time in their butt slow system.

i know bulk manager is not working long time ago,i just try to change dns in two of my domains,wich i try ones at the time,but since yesterday is not working.
can you try to change one of you dns on any domain just to see whats happing? please.
thanks luis.

•••
I have seen alot of rumors about RegisterFly lately. Other than the one abbout Enom severing ties with them I am not sure how true the rest of them are. It does suck that so many people are having problems with them.

•••
I can't get my domains to unlock there. The last 3 support tickets I've opened have not been answered. I think the oldest ticket is from the 10th but since I can't login to my account now I can't tell for sure. Also the security certificate has expired at their website. Other than that I think they are great.

Update: I finally got into the site and they have 2 new important announcements. Here they are

2 new important announcements

April 5th, 2006 - 12:00 PM Your visitors, prospects, and customers are on their guard. These savvy Internet users are wary of Web sites and online businesses that aren't what they claim to be, and worried that their personal and financial information might fall into the wrong hands. Turn your customers' concerns into a competitive advantage with the iron-clad protection of a RegisterFly.com
April 5th, 2006 - 12:00 PM Your visitors, prospects, and customers are on their guard. These savvy Internet users are wary of Web sites and online businesses that aren't what they claim to be, and worried that their personal and financial information might fall into the wrong hands. Turn your customers' concerns into a competitive advantage with the iron-clad protection of a RegisterFly.com

Last edited:
•••
I think we need to file a class action against RF.
I am trying to move my domains and they are not responding to open tickets.

One of the domains, I unfortunately, have with them is my business domain for my web site. This domain is used to represent our company and has been on and off over the last year, causing us to suffer irrepairable damage.

I have paid for the transfer and the transfer has been iniated, but RF will not let go. :'(

I am up for a class action, anyone else?

•••
The Registerfly Saga

HasRob said:
Registerflies? Why not RegisterCries :'( :lol:
That's and intelligent comment considering I've spent a lot of time, money and effort to protect the interest of the members in this community.

You cannot do anything with Registerfly at all right now. If you send them money, it goes directly in Kevin Medina's personal account. John, Glenn, Paul V., and all the rest of the Registerfly employees have no access at all and neither do you. Kevin Medina has sabotaged the entire thing. If you have names with Registerfly... I don't feel sorry for you one bit!

For all the members here at the Namepros community, you were warned long ago. Your comments about how good they were and the criticism that's come out of your mouths because of my interest in protecting the general domain name community by providing the site ( www.registerflies.com )... SHAME ON YOU!!! I don't feel a bit sorry for you at all. :'(

As it stands, I'm in contact with both John and Glenn at Registerfly and I can tell you for sure that you have no control anymore over your domain names with Registerfly and currently, neither do they. You want your names, contact Kevin Medina. You want his contact info? Find it yourself.

If you want the actual court documents and you want to know what's going on in real time, you know where to go to find it. I've said enough about this, I'd much rather like to get back to trading and discussing domain names.

As for those of you who left your names with registerfly contrary to my warnings........... cry now. :'( You can hear about your woes on the headline news or read about them at slashdot or cnet.

For those of you who have been supportive of my site with your comments, thank you kindly for your support and I'm truly happy that you've taken the steps to protect your names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back