NameSilo

RegFly to GoDaddy Transfer Confusion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have some domains registered at RegisterFly, but keep most at GoDaddy. On April 6th I went to GoDaddy and ordered a transfer for one my RegFly domains. I submitted the auth code and transaction ID, and since then the transfer has been showing "Pending Current Registrar Approval".

I just received an e-mail from RegisterFly telling me that I have sold the domain on the Domain Market Place for $0.27. The domain has been removed from my RegFly account. It still shows as "Pending Current Registrar Approval" at GoDaddy.

I didn't put the domain up for sale, and neither received nor accepted an offer for it. RegFly haven't sent me any correspondence asking me to approve / reject a transfer request from GoDaddy.

I've e-mailed RegFly support, but my experience has been that they are quite slow to reply. Does anyone have any idea whether I should be worried? Is what has happened part of the normal process? Or have RegFly flogged my domain on the cheap?

I'd really appreciate advice. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
did you let the domain expire? I would be highly concerned... sounds like regfly may be in a world of hurt if they sold it! Your best bet is to confront regfly and find out what happened?

•••
Domain is due to expire on the 17th.

•••
I've had a brief response from RegFly, informing me that account "GoDaddy" is suspended and my support ticket has been closed. That's it. No "Yes you did list it for sale". No "Your domain hasn't been sold". No "The domain will be returned to your account". No worthwhile explanation of the situation at all.

Update: There's some hope. A whois check on my domain shows my details, with GoDaddy as the sponsoring registrar and the expiry date as having been extended for a year. It's still in my account as a transfer pending current registrar approval rather than as my domain, but perhaps it's still mine after all.

Right, a note to GoDaddy seems to have sorted things out. I'm still waiting to hear from RegisterFly, but GoDaddy now has the domain in my account. I still have no idea what, if anything went wrong, but I do have the domain. If I don't get a good explanation from RegisterFly, I'll be shifting my domains elsewhere a.s.a.p.

•••
Oh wow, that is terrible... is that your account name, "godaddy"?

You need to call their phone number and demand to speak to a manager/supervisor. It may take several tries to get one, and when you do, demand that they explain to you what is going on, and what they did with your domain name and account. You may need to go up a few levels before you get results.

You have to be very forceful (not mean or threatening... only use a threat as a LAST resort if no managers will talk to you) and stand your ground if you want results. You might even try submitting another ticket demanding a response from a manager too. If it comes down to it, you may need to report them to the better business bureau and/or ICANN.

If you still can't get any results, a lawyer would probably be your last recourse... and of coarse that takes money.

Let us know how it goes!

•••
... is that your account name, "godaddy"?

No! I've no idea why they told me that, or thought that it answered my query.

Fortunately, the domain seems to be safely in my account at GoDaddy. I still haven't had a decent answer from RegisterFly though.

•••
I think someone just didn't know what they were talking about... seeing that it is at Godaddy now.

Thats a relief...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back