NameSilo

question Reg 'Payment request created' message on Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Leo2k

Top Member
Impact
Have you ever bought domain through Sedo? If yes, would it deduct the amount immediately on your card or from your bank or send you an invoice for you to pay?

Everytime a domain is sold, I see 'payment request created' message and it takes sometime to get processed.

Is it because the payment will be put on hold/verified and then payment received confirmation will be sent or the buyer wouldn't have added any payment method and not payed yet?

Anyone used Sedo as a buyer?
If yes, can you please explain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Solution
Hi all,

Please allow me to provide a more exact answer as assumed was not the correct word. If a domain is purchased while under negotiation 'Make Offer' and an agreement is reached, then yes 'Payment Request Created' can show while the buyer is given time to act on this and they are able to use all our payment methods to make a payment not just Wire Transfer in this instance.

However, currently 73% of sales are through Buy Now. Wire Transfer is the only option to allow the buyer to pay for the domain at a later time if they select Buy Now. If the buyer selects any other payment method then payment will be received directly by Sedo producing the status 'Payment Received'. If the buyer does not complete one of these payment methods...
Payment request created means the buyer has not paid yet. Buyers have to submit payment after hitting the buy now or once an offer is accepted.

•••
Upvote 0
Payment request created means the buyer has not paid yet. Buyers have to submit payment after hitting the buy now or once an offer is accepted.
I see Payment request created on all orders through Sedo till now. So do you mean all are new customers or they have never added their card / paypal details to their account so that everytime it asks to submit payment manually?
If the card details are already there, won't it be charged as soon as the buyer click buy now and complete the process?
Have you experienced it as a buyer or telling based on knowledge?

•••
Upvote 0
Sedo doesn't hold card info. So buyer has to submit payment every time manually. You will see payment request created with every sale. Yes, I have purchased at sedo. I always pay immediately but a lot of people don't.

•••
Upvote 0
Sedo doesn't hold card info. So buyer has to submit payment every time manually. You will see payment request created with every sale. Yes, I have purchased at sedo. I always pay immediately but a lot of people don't.
Great. Got an idea what goes on at the other end. And few orders are put on hold for security reasons. Have you faced it ever? Any idea about it?

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Based on my own history with on hold sales, it usually means a fraudulent buyer. Maybe entered false address or other crazy details. There is still a chance it is ok. But I have not had one turn out well.

•••
Upvote 0
There is still a chance it is ok. But I have not had one turn out well.
Me neither. If the congratulations email isn't almost immediately followed by " Payment received, we will be in touch regarding transfer instructions" Or within 24 hours - I know it's a Dead-Duck

•••
Upvote 0
Have you ever bought domain through Sedo? If yes, would it deduct the amount immediately on your card or from your bank or send you an invoice for you to pay?

Everytime a domain is sold, I see 'payment request created' message and it takes sometime to get processed.

Is it because the payment will be put on hold/verified and then payment received confirmation will be sent or the buyer wouldn't have added any payment method and not payed yet?

Hi Leo2k,

Thanks for your message.

If you buy a domain through Sedo and pay with your credit or debit card, then the money will be deducted directly from your payment provider. Only if you purchase a domain and select the option to pay later via a Wire Transfer will no payment be taken directly, as you are given time to send the wire to us which can take a few days depending on your location. The payment request in this instance is to inform the buyer that they need to make the payment and at the same time let the seller know we are waiting for the funds. Hence it takes some time to get processed and for the actual domain transfer to start.

All the best
Chris

•••
Upvote 0

Same thing happened to me couple of months back, got message from sedo stating "We are pleased to inform you that a buyer has accepted your fixed price offer for your domain" and payment requested has been created. But, the deal never went through, after 3 reminder messages from Sedo to buyer the transaction was finally cancelled after 14 days. The only issue is that my sold domain was marked "Not for Sale" for these 14 days and got back to "For Sale" after cancellation.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Hi Leo2k,
The payment request in this instance is to inform the buyer that they need to make the payment and at the same time let the seller know we are waiting for the funds. Hence it takes some time to get processed and for the actual domain transfer to start.

All the best
Chris
Thank you Chris for explaining. So whenever I see the status 'Payment request created' can I assume that the buyer has chosen wire transfer.
or is that a default message for card as well but in that case 'Payment request created' will be followed immediately by 'Payment received' message?
Just curious.

•••
Upvote 0
Thank you Chris for explaining. So whenever I see the status 'Payment request created' can I assume that the buyer has chosen wire transfer.
or is that a default message for card as well but in that case 'Payment request created' will be followed immediately by 'Payment received' message?
Just curious.
Hi Leo2k,

Thanks for your message.

Yes you can assume a Wire Transfer has been selected as payment by the buyer when agreeing to buy the domain if you see this status. If they buy the domain and pay directly with Credit Card or PayPal then the current status will show as 'Payment Received'

All the best
Chris

•••
Upvote 0
Not true. You cannot assume they have selected wire transfer if you see payment request created. All you can assume is that is the standard message telling them they need to pay.

•••
Upvote 0
Hi all,

Please allow me to provide a more exact answer as assumed was not the correct word. If a domain is purchased while under negotiation 'Make Offer' and an agreement is reached, then yes 'Payment Request Created' can show while the buyer is given time to act on this and they are able to use all our payment methods to make a payment not just Wire Transfer in this instance.

However, currently 73% of sales are through Buy Now. Wire Transfer is the only option to allow the buyer to pay for the domain at a later time if they select Buy Now. If the buyer selects any other payment method then payment will be received directly by Sedo producing the status 'Payment Received'. If the buyer does not complete one of these payment methods, then our system will not technically allow them to buy the domain and no agreement will be reached. So just to correct the initial statement, while 73% of the sales can be assumed it can not be assumed for all sales, the chances are simply high that we are waiting on a Wire Transfer if you see this status. However if you have any instances where you see this message and its been a few days and no payment, just give your transfer agent a call and they will update you on whats going on.

All the best
Chris

•••
Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks Chris, But it certainly happened to me on my Fixed-Priced domain, No negotiations, Just straight to "Payment request sent" Which as you can gather, another one not paid.

I only use your fixed-price to keep the commission down

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Hey,

I would be interested in seeing one of these, if you have any further please inbox me with the domain name so I can take a look. I will see if this is something our Tech Team needs to look into.

Thanks for the info
Chris

•••
Upvote 0
Hi Chris. I have had many sales that were "buy now" and the buyer ended up not paying after several days. Did you change something in your system recently?

•••
Upvote 0
Hi Chris. I have had many sales that were "buy now" and the buyer ended up not paying after several days. Did you change something in your system recently?
Hi,

No we haven't changed anything in the system, as I detailed in the information above, Buy Now domains can also not be 'not paid for' if the buyer uses the option to pay later and purchases the domain with Wire Transfer and then fails to pay for the domain.

All the best
Chris

•••
Upvote 0
OK. I have had buy now domains not paid for the same day. And then paid by credit card at a later date. Are they claiming they will pay later by wire and then changing their mind and using credit card?

•••
Upvote 0
Hi,

Yes, if the buyer selects to pay later with a 'Wire Transfer' then they will still have the option to pay via PayPal, or Credit Card or one of our other payment providers after the domain is purchased. If it they simply go to 'Billing' in their Sedo account and by selecting 'Pay Now' they have the option to do this if they change their mind and no longer want to send a Wire Transfer.

All the best
Chris

•••
Upvote 0
Hey,

I would be interested in seeing one of these, if you have any further please inbox me with the domain name so I can take a look. I will see if this is something our Tech Team needs to look into.

Thanks for the info
Chris
Hi Chris, The last unpaid domain is 'flexijob.com' do let me know if I've missed anything. I'm quite careful in ensuring that I remain within your 10% commission criteria. Therefore Fixed-Price only
All the best

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Hi Chris, The last unpaid domain is 'flexijob.com' do let me know if I've missed anything. I'm quite careful in ensuring that I remain within your 10% commission criteria. Therefore Fixed-Price only
All the best
Hi,

Yes the buyer selected to Pay Later via a Wire Transfer, for this transaction.

All the best
Chris

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back