Dynadot

REBEL has now automatic AUTORENEWALPAY 43 days befor exp.SOLUTION: ASK THEM 2 PUT MANUAL RENEWAL ON

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

LAST YEAR Rebel.Com began a campaign here. They were not new (and work together with Pool.com for B.O., and the company NAMESCOUT and REBEL became then 1 company), but the interface was very different then before. Much more complicated. You have to opt out as much as you can (and privay costs a lot of money) if you don't want to pay a lot for extra's.
Anyhow : they had promotions ..... !!!

Not a year later =>
Rebel.com seems to have changed
the status of autorenewal on or off => BY DEFAULT AUTORENEWAL IS ON.
AND WHAT IS MORE
=> they CHARGE YOUR CREDITCARD 43 DAYS BEFORE THE EXPIRYDATE. (or your paypalaccount)

The only thing you can do is contact them and ask to put your domains on MANUAL renewal (or "NOT AUTORENEW").

This is a very strange way of working => You can see it here ==> THE DEFAULT SYSTEM IS NOW =>
http://kb.rebel.com/knowledgebase/articles/475580-what-happened-to-the-auto-renewal-manager-and-can

If some domains are autorenewed however that you didn't wanted to renew, you can get you money back by ......"CANCELLING" the domain.before expiry.and FIRST calling them........ this is VERY (!!!) STRANGE.
Here you can see it
QUOTE If one of your domains is auto-renewed despite your intentions to let it lapse, please contact customer service before the original expiry date and we will credit or refund the fees for the domain renewal and reset it to expire at the orginal expiry date.END QUOTE

=> MY QUESTION of course is : And what about the 40 days of grace period after expiry date and transferring OUT also 40 days AFTER expirydate (which they had 2 or 3 years ago) ?? => This I still have to ask them.

BUT ANYHOW ==>
THE MAJOR THING IS CHARGING YOUR CREDITCARD 43 DAYS BEFORE EXPIRY DATE !!!
According to the LINK HERE ABOVE you can get your money back BY -after first calling them- "CANCELLING"the domainnames concerned.

ACCORDING TO THE LINK ABOVE : You can't even OPT OUT THIS STRANGE SYSTEM !!!

QUOTE => "Unfortunately there is no way to opt out of Auto-Renewal. We have implemented this new service to ensure that our customers do not lose their valued domains as well as to save them from costly fees for recovery and renewal.
We notify and bill you 43 days ahead of your expiry date in order to give you ample time to decide if you wish to continue renewing your domains. You may also turn on a renewal notice feature in your ‘Account Settings’ under ‘Manage Domains’, which will send you a warning email 10 days prior to your upcoming auto-renewals. END QUOTE

OF COURSE THIS MEANS "AUTOMATIC paying" 43 days before expiry date, AND (?) not having time till 40 th day after expiry ?
For domainers who don't give a damn about expiry date (if they have no website on their domain) and want to renew the last day possible, this would be a difference of 83 days in paying.

HOWEVER THERE IS A SOLUTION => I CONTACTED THEM BY CALL +1.866.497.3235 (at night) AND ASKED TO PUT AUTORENEWAL OF FOR ALL MY DOMAINS. The person on the phone said he would write an email to do so to the persons who work during the day.
==> AND INDEED NOW I see an "infinity- sign" =the letter eight laying down very tiny) after my domains , and they won't autorenew.

===>>> SO WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE DOMAINS AT REBEL.COM ? and don't wanna be charged 'automatically' 43 days before expiry date ? => Call them

ASAP and ask to put your domains from autorenewal to NOT AUTORENEWAL.

Greetz

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Please call them. Certainly if you have a rebelaccount. The more people that do that, they might change this very strange kind way of working with people.

Last edited:
•••
They work with PayPal via agreements like 1and1/Uniregistry etc.?
Then cancel it in your PayPal-panel and that's all.

•••
They work with PayPal via agreements like 1and1/Uniregistry etc.?
Then cancel it in your PayPal-panel and that's all.
That's not all => If you have a creditcard filled in at REBEL.. They charge the creditcard 43 days before expiry of any domain you have there. Indeed you can also update creditcard, so that there's no creditcard anymore attached to the account. => This can be a quick defencemeasure you can take.

The problem however is that once you HAVE to renew some domains. And then you have to add creditcard or Paypal again, to pay, let's say 1 domain. But the suddenly they can charge for 10 other domains you have.

That's why I advice = call them and aks to put all your domains to "not autorenew."

Last edited:
•••
As for me, I don't have any cards there... their 3rd-party processing doesn't work with my Ukrainian card at all.

•••
Regarding their renewals - they are uncompetitive.
This registrar is just for Transfer-in and Transfer-out.

•••
Regarding their renewals - they are uncompetitive.
This registrar is just for Transfer-in and Transfer-out.

But now they have promotions also that may be interesting. But for some other thingsthey charge too much.
Maybe they will learn to do better in future. In the past Pool.com (maybe many still now) was (and now is) one of the biggest catchers, and when it was catched => Pool sent it to a Rebel-account or Namescout-account that you then had to register. (they say that Rebel and Namescout merged 1,5 y ago. ; what is the case, but in the whois they still use the word Namescout). Most people in the past then transferred indeed out to more known registrars.

Last edited:
•••
Just contacted them via Support-form... to completely disable Autorenewal for all existent domains and by default...

•••
Just contacted them via Support-form... to completely disable Autorenewal for all existent domains and by default...
Clever decision.

Last edited:
•••
You should get mail and then after (may take a day or 2)that you should see after each domain a letter eight horizontal.
BTW (don't blame me if you forget to renew then.;)

Let's see in the future what they will do after expiry. => still tranferrrable and still renewable (40 days after expiry), like they did 3 years ago (as I remember) ??
Maybe ask that question later on.

•••
By the way, according their Terms & Conditions that is even 75 day renewal till expiration:

"1. Rebel.com has introduced a "High Security" service to address issues of domain name security. The High Security service is provided to you as a courtesy and helps to prevent domains you have registered from being unintentionally transferred, deleted, or expired. Unless you inform Rebel.com that you do not want this service, you will be automatically enrolled for Rebel.com's High Security service. The High Security service includes "Registrar Lock" and "Auto-renewal", described below. Rebel.com may introduce additional security features in the future.

3. Auto-renewal

3.1 When High Security is enabled for a domain, Rebel.com will attempt to renew the registration of a domain approximately 75 days prior to its expiry date."

Even for domains with disabled auto renewal before.
Rebel is classic fraud- first cheap transfers, but payment only via credit card was possible.(now is clear why) - same type of business like 1and1.com company doing for years.

•••
yes, thanks for info
it was discussed before on threads. including me.
this is the onyl registrar I know that does this.
it is frankyl just not nice.

if u do not wanna bother with emailing them or beign at their mercy or yoru domains renew real soon, just remove your whole credit card from file. they were frank enough to confirm to me on phone this does the job too.

I personally did what op did. email them, got my infinity sign.
they had nice promos last year.. $2 and $4 transfers. saves some money. like always, do research waht your getting yourself into. there can be and often is some small catch and price to pay for the promos. not a scam you cannot avoid in the end, but simple extra steps you gotta take to not end up losing more money in the end than you saved on promos.. whether its rebel, dotster.. whatever.

gl

•••
Just had to deal with this same situation where my credit card got charged for domains 43 days before expiring. One thing I've found and the service rep confirmed, they do not renew your domain until the eve of the expiry date, which means they get the your money in advance and does nothing for 43 days.

Also if you look at your dashboard, it shows the domain with an extra year added to the expiry date but WHOIS shows it has not been renewed. This is very misleading as they're trying to make you think that your money has applied to renewing the domain but obviously the domain has not been renewed yet. The service rep did not answer me back after I pointed that out to him and asked him to refund my money as I'm going to transfer the domains out.

They just lost me as a customer. Will be moving all my domains away from Rebel.com and I hope everyone will do the same as this business practice is unethical

Last edited:
•••
Finding this helpful thread but I still wanna check if the domain will not be auto renew after we live chat to ask for turn off this function. Or we still need to transfer out earlier?

•••
i think there is some sign.. like infinity greyed out
after its off.

•••
Hah! Not only shady, but they obviously don't understand the concept of 24/7 support. They chat is perpetually offline, email support takes up to a day to respond.

•••
I turn autorenew off at all registrars except on some of my select domains at select registrars. I try my best to stay organized and ahead of renewals...

Completely forgot about 2 domains at Rebel that are low quality and received a receipt today for their autorenewal which totaled up over $30 (45 days before expired)

Ouch!

Boy, am I grateful I did not have more domains there that all expired at the same time. That could have been a painful monetary lesson.

My fault for letting this slip by me, but I am not impressed with Rebel's business model and do not plan on using them in the future.

I just tried Chat support - and of course it sent them an email instead - no one is available for chat.

I will be calling them shortly if I do not receive a response...

•••
I am transferring out all domains from rebel.

•••
Just tried live chat again and got to a live person...

They were nice and did refund my renewal fees.

They confirmed there is no way to turn off auto-renewals on their website - You must contact support if you wish to disable it on a domain.

•••
I turn autorenew off at all registrars except on some of my select domains at select registrars. I try my best to stay organized and ahead of renewals...

Completely forgot about 2 domains at Rebel that are low quality and received a receipt today for their autorenewal which totaled up over $30 (45 days before expired)

Ouch!

Boy, am I grateful I did not have more domains there that all expired at the same time. That could have been a painful monetary lesson.

My fault for letting this slip by me, but I am not impressed with Rebel's business model and do not plan on using them in the future.

I just tried Chat support - and of course it sent them an email instead - no one is available for chat

I will be calling them shortly if I do not receive a response...

It's the best to CALL them during the night (GMT+1) or late evening . Then you explain you want the domain ALL on autorenew AND also that you can see that after each name !!! => This should be a letter 8 on it's side, so the "inifintive or eternal sign". You ask to warn the higher people of Rebel and they will do it. (So don't begin bemaking a ticket, you can of course, but the phoning is better).
I did that and everything went fine.
=> I also discoverred that (I have everyhting on NOT autorenewal like above explained), that I even could 40 days AFTER EXPIRY (so 83 after what you experienced) to even TRANSFER OUT SEVERAL DOMAINS. I could also renew them after expiry, but that would have costed an extra 5 USD then normal pricing per renewal.
HOWEVER a good tip => It has been said to me that after expiry I could use "quick renewal" or something like that per domainname, and the 5 USD wouldn't have to be payed (in that case I could, -said he- use any kind of payment (card PP or so), and that card wouldn' be "attached on my account"). But I preferred transferring them all out. But I will buy still domains at them in the future in case of interesting domainnames. (I was too late for the last transfer in promotion to Rebel).

•••
when I regged some promo com last nite I noticed they arrived in panel with auto renew disabled by default.. so I guess they changed it around after people complaining

plus now there is option to on/off auto renew in panel too

glad to see their poor rules change

•••
when I regged some promo com last nite I noticed they arrived in panel with auto renew disabled by default.. so I guess they changed it around after people complaining

I don't exactly knowwhat you mean with in panel.

I also thought first that I had autorenewal.
But asking further they said that wasn't the case.
Do know that It's only so that autorenewal is OFF IF AFTER ALL YOUR DOMAINS you see on the right a letter 8, lying on it's side.!!! Check this ! ,

•••

Little late for that, they can suck it!

•••

can't find it

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back